French seems pretty easy to puzzle out the meaning of for me...

French seems pretty easy to puzzle out the meaning of for me. Could I learn french by reading a simple book in french and using a french-english dictionary to reference non-cognate vocabulary I don't recognize?

Attached: FB8012C8-77D2-46B4-8DDE-6804E2D3BF6F.png (1200x800, 1K)

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/692098.French_for_Reading
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah, or one of those French for Reading books. Don't bother with the spoken language, though. It's literally nigger tier.

Yeah I have no interest in actually speaking with frogs, just being able to read their language.

Attached: 17A28B3E-9332-4ABF-B9AC-28927A1A4D19.jpg (1600x1200, 299K)

Do you mean this one?goodreads.com/book/show/692098.French_for_Reading

>actually
Oh look, you use a particularly nasty false friend for French-English.

And yeah, but you'll really only develop one skill set, it won't really help with listening or producing. You can get some really great graded dual language books from Penguin, the equivalent in French is a folio-bilingue. Dual language tends to mean originally French works with English translations, and folio-bilingue tends to mean original English with French translations. The works picked and how they're translated tends to vary a fair amount, super interesting.

>Oh look, you use a particularly nasty false friend for French-English
?

Attached: 43D8DE74-F889-450E-B6E2-25BF08581836.jpg (900x477, 94K)

Not sure what he meant since we're speaking English, not French.

Actually would be like véritablement, réellement, en fait.
Actuellement would be like currently, presently, that sort of thing.

Many such cases in French I'm afraid.

absolutely. i'd recommend comic books to start with because the visual context means you can follow the general gist of the story and do more guessing and less tedious dictionary lookups. i started learning french a few months ago because i encountered a tintin album in french and noticed how much i could figure out without having ever taken a french lesson. i can follow basic prose pretty well now.

But he wrote in English, not in French, retard. You don't have a case here.

veritably, in reality/really, in fact?

he meant that it's a case where guessing the meaning of a cognate would lead you astray. i don't think it's that much of a problem, sooner or later you'd encounter a sentence that would force you to figure out the real meaning.

he's giving the op an example of where his method would cause him trouble, not telling him his english is wrong. stop calling people retards when you can't even follow the conversation.

I was the the first one to reply so I'm following this thread. His comment is irrelevant:
>dude false friends are bad even though you never *actually* used one but they're bad so beware xD
Well, no shit. Fuck off.

Any suggestions in particular? I like Moebius but he doesn't seem to have much dialogue in his works

Attached: E5B9F985-3115-432E-96D0-20E6404F415C.jpg (1179x1542, 680K)

Start with Tintin

i started with more adventure/kids stuff like tintin, smurfs, asterix etc. i've been reading some metabarons recently which has a lot of fun melodramatic dialogue.

he's directly answering op's question and providing a helpful example of where he might get in trouble when learning french the way he intends to. you've misread his post and proceeded to chimp out over an imagined offense. dumb hormone-driven adolescents like you are the reason why this board is unusable now.

Ill czech these out, thanks

Attached: 0D50A3A3-5A24-48CA-89E0-7F1ABB4CCB59.jpg (1024x768, 123K)

Seethe

Yes actually ;)

yeah one like that

If that's so then I think I have more than enough handle on cognates and from my working knowledge of spanish, french can't be hard