What's the consensus on him here?

What's the consensus on him here?

Attached: stephen-king-9365136-1-402.jpg (1200x1200, 154K)

Uncanny face, looks like the Grinch.

Don't you mean the general consensus?

The only writer so bad the movies adapted from his books are regularly better than the books themselves.

Yes, I am dumb as fuck

The literary equivalent to reality TV; it can be fun and easy to indulge in, but you won't get much out of it. His work ethic is more admirable than the actual work.
Oh, god. That's embarrassing.
>The Shining
>"but muh characters!"

His best book is Pet Semetary. Salem's Lot is also good. Check out Revival if you want his really dragged out but decent take on Lovecraft.

Interestingly all the adaptations for Pet Semetary are garbage.

At some point an author may write so much that they become an average writer just based on quantity.

He's the average writer.

Stephen King read a couple Bradbury short stories and Something Wicked This Way Comes and wanted to copy him. Then he realized that actually trying with his prose would slow down production, so he replaced it with sex and put the same copy-pasted shota into like a third of his stories in order to seem more "mature".

theres no consensus because we are all individuals

he's alright, but you're not getting anything out of his works besides mildly entertaining plot. here's your consensus.

Hes not as bad as people make him out to be, but he is primarily a plot driver. Which is fine if you're only reading for entertainment. Hes kinda like the Dickens of the modern era in that sense, hes just writing to churn out as many books as possible and make as much money as possible.

He cant be disregarded, he definitely has a lot of influence in the horror genre, and maybe some of his work has some literary merit, primarily It and The Shining. But overall I'm not really a fan, there are too many better writers out there to bother with all of his work.

>Interestingly all the adaptations for Pet Semetary are garbage.
Because pet semetary is unsalvageable. They would have to give it to Orson Welles or something.

I suspect people who write him off completely haven’t ever read his books.

Some of his short stories and early novels are great, the problem is he gets carried away sometimes and just writes too much. You could tear four hundred pages out The Stand and it wouldn’t make much difference to the story.

His short stories and early novels are great.

He's hated here though. But then again this is a board obsessed by dead Eastern faggots and "classics" some no-name university lecturer dictates.

the JK rowling of horror and one of the most overhyped writers.

Graham Masterton and Guy N. Smith are way better than this living speed bump

I used to be a stephen king fan before I started getting back into paperback horror and realized that those books, while granted vary in quality, are far more entertaining, unpretentious and interesting than anything King has written

>Guy N. Smith
Beyond based.

Unironically one of my fav writers.

Nobooks pleb here. IT is my favorite book of all time. Where do I go from there?

>Check out Revival if you want his really dragged out but decent take on Lovecraft.

Compare Revival and Desperation, and miscellaneous remarks in his other books. Does King believe in God, vel non.

Attached: 1472518244519.jpg (841x648, 69K)

massive pervert and crackhead with overly-long books

amazing storyteller

Only novel of his I read was the Shining, I thought it was pretty boring. His short stories are alright though, not gonna blow your socks off or anything, but good enough time killers.

I'd say he belongs in "that" list

Attached: Untitled-4.jpg (2155x685, 694K)

The film is definitely better with The Shining.

I haven’t read a Stephen King book for nearly fifteen years. I went through a phase as a young teenager where I must have read about twenty of his books though. I remember Misery was great and Quitters Inc. a brilliant wee short story.

King was my entrypoint into Yea Forums when I was a teen. Some of his ideas are solid but it's 80% padding and useless shit. The endings are always shit too.
Reading so much of his books and soldiering through the dark tower series bullshit made me stop reading altogether for 2 years I think.
Still enjoyed Duma Key a lot for some reason.

GRRM is an other criticized mainstream author but at least there is not many wasted words. He's not binge writing for the sake of it.