Only America, Britain, and Japan make good sci fi, why do you think that is?

Only America, Britain, and Japan make good sci fi, why do you think that is?

Attached: 10e.png (1314x1054, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

factordaily.com/china-science-fiction/
newstatesman.com/chinese-science-fiction-dystopia-liu-cixin-triology
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It isn't.
That's only what you've personally read.

What has been the best and most influential sci fi of the last 50 years?

Japan doesn't make good sci-fi.

Eastern Europeans, though.

Subjective and based on availability.
Anything in English is going to have an undue advantage towards being considered the "best" and "most influential" .
China is putting out a lot of good sci-fi, and the government is even funding sci-fi authors as well.

If you want global sci-fi than read one of the various anthologies of translated sci-fi works from all over the world.

Why is anyone responding to OP?
All frogposters are trolls, idiots, or both.

Because those are the only countries that are already themselves sci-fi.

Expand on that

Attached: 02f.jpg (655x527, 59K)

That's entirely wrong.

I've heard good things about the Three Body Problem, but the little bit that I read was god awful. The worst professionally published prose I've ever seen.

Russians?

I would count asimov as american, wouldnt you?

>tfw too based to be completely published at the homeland

Attached: 220px-Threebody.jpg (220x318, 27K)

*blocks your path*

Attached: permutation-city.jpg (382x500, 53K)

Russia? Dipshit.

>who are the Strugatsky Brothers
>who is Stanisław Lem

Japan doesn't even make good books. Everything time I check the japanese corner of the a bookstore it's full of books about cats that die by the end of the story.

Most printed material in Japan is literally manga.

>Why?
You like American, British and Japanese sci-fi

Attached: 5A1513A1-FD4D-453A-A382-6E843F47892A.jpg (627x310, 81K)

Correct me if I'm wrong but china also has some very strict laws of what is allowed for sci-fi, which is why they're so set on funding it themselves so that they can model a "correct" image of the furure.

Naturally.
factordaily.com/china-science-fiction/
It's not really that different from what the US did during world war II.

From what I've seen, as long as it isn't anything critical of the government, it's more or less allowed..

newstatesman.com/chinese-science-fiction-dystopia-liu-cixin-triology

How Chinese novelists are reimagining science fiction

Russians too

When it comes to literature you can't NEVER EVER not mention RUSSIA

EVERYONE SAYS THIS BUT DON'T GIVE PROPER EXAMPLES

btfo OP you just got WRECKED

The GOAT of sci-fi Stanislaw Lem was Polish.

Ok. One guy. Slavic sci fi of the last 20 years, how does it compete with the top 3 I listed?

what about no longer human? didnt like that one?

Because they are bug people.

>Britain
>Japan
>good sci fi
?
???????
like what?
>America
>make
>present tense
>last 30 years
>good sci fi
?????

First sci-fi movies were made for propoganda therefore Japan America Britain (and China althogh not mentioned) have the best sci-fi movies and also the most popular. Change my mind

Chinese people already live in the most bleak (due to its very tangible realness) sci-fi universe ever conceived. To write in this genre would be pointless

America as a young and rootless country has always only had the future to inspire it. It lacks the depths of antiquity of the old world.
As a result of this future-oriented mindset (which, granted, often devolves into complacent, slovenly presentism) science and technology as practical future-building arts have always been inspired elements of the American psyche.
This translates into the literature as well. Same can be said of Japan, except that they "caught the bug" from American culture post-WW2 and are similarly technology obsessed.

As for the British, the opposite is true. It is their past as the epicenter of industrialism and the birthplace of the modern world that inspires sci-fi.

You're right. It doesn't compete. To me the Brits are the masters of sci-fi.

Best answer itt

It's original language was Chinese.

>Yevgeny Zamyatin
>Victor Pelevin (sometimes sci-fi)
>Vladimir Sorokin
I don't even like sci-fi and I've read all of them.
I hate retards who somehow convince themselves that their stunted view of the world is an objectively correct one.

Probably Russian and Polish sci-fi. Who hasn't heard of Solaris, Stalker, Metro 2033 etc