Gentlemen, I love literature

Gentlemen, I love literature.

Attached: don_quixote.jpg (1280x902, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jIr7cs6eEAs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Me too!

Attached: 1552538270070.png (660x500, 462K)

Good books are quite good. In fact I would say there is nothing quite as good as a good book. It all lies in a special feeling that it imparts you; each time my own world is banished and created anew once I step out of myself and into the book. It is like dipping my mind into a pool of a different era: often, especially in the cases of 19th century and 17th century literature, I am submerged completely in them, yet when I re-emerge from these waters of Time I carry not just my own thoughts and feelings of a book, but the memories and language of whole generation of peoples that have labored and died known and unknown to history, occupying a space whose only boundaries are that of Time itself and the two walls of my own mind.

Attached: mignon_wilhelm_meister.jpg (1024x1024, 236K)

Me too.

i disagree

Gud buk

Attached: 1485865214743.jpg (1600x900, 513K)

cringe

Then you don't belong here, please leave.

post more art pls

To this I say "Cheers" and virtually raise toast to you and your fine taste, sir.

Why are you guys here if you actually enjoy reading?

Thank you, you truly are the finest of all gentlemen and scholars!

Sometimes Yea Forums-related art is pretty hard to find, but then again you could call all painting Yea Forums-related to a degree.

Attached: 1518178130251.jpg (886x1280, 1.06M)

underrated

Is Anders Zorn the most Yea Forums painter?

Attached: Anders Zorn.jpg (428x620, 130K)

I wished there was more high quality art based on some of Dostoyevsky’s books. Like Crime and Punishment or The Brothers Karamazov. There are so many good moments that can be translated into beautiful paintings

Attached: 1707FD17-A5C8-4C48-B160-79D10FC92CA0.gif (320x291, 1.04M)

What lit is user, reading? What was the last read that left you really satisfied? Favorite novel? Next lit likely to be read?

For me it would be:
>Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo
>Pere Goriot by Balzac
>Gravity’s Rainbow or The Sound and the Fury, can’t choose.
>Thinking maybe doing Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Neuromancer or Cervantes’s Novelas Ejemplares

Attached: 093C7648-AEA0-4216-AFCA-08D007CC82F8.jpg (256x196, 8K)

Indeed. What would I be without it? It's influence on the soul is unlike anything else.

At least one can always count on Shakespeare to bring out the best in artists

Attached: hamlet-and-horatio-in-the-cemetery-1839-1.jpg (2024x2523, 602K)

Same
It’s my chief passion in life. It’s a shame it’s not considered a hobby by most people.

Most definitely. And the Dore paintings based on Paradise Lost, The Bible, The Divine Comedy and Don Quixote. Blake’s paintings too!

He has something even better actually, Petrov's style was made for Dostoevsky:

youtube.com/watch?v=jIr7cs6eEAs

Attached: dream_of_a_ridiculous_man_dosto.jpg (984x720, 308K)

Yes, exactly! It's like stepping through a door, being taken by the hand and towed down some adventurous alleyway, all while you are impressed by the wacky appeals towards your sentence this new world can present. Indeed, my dear, there is nothing quite so good as a book!

Attached: 1522781011461.jpg (852x960, 181K)

Proust's favorite painting, it also features in the best passage of The Captive. The style of clouds in the OP pic is really reminiscent of it

Attached: view of delft.jpg (3000x2491, 1.16M)

The Hudson River School of painting is possibly America's greatest artistic invention. It out-Turners Turner, and its equal blend of lofty Romanticism and appreciation for Realism in nature is superior to the schools which came before and after it, and it should testify to its worth that its only real rival in portraying the sublime is the diametrically opposed Caspar David Friedrich, who prefers the quieter moments of contemplation instead of the overwhelming of the senses, and who when he does put human figures in his paintings, they subliminally become the focal point, rather than their landscape dwarfing them in all respects. It does take a heady school to compete with that

Attached: northern_lights.jpg (4001x2692, 2.54M)

A rare Friedrich in comparison

Attached: 1280px-Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_Meeresstrand_im_Nebel_(ca.1807).jpg (1280x837, 295K)

>The Hudson River School of painting
didnt even realize this was a thing, i'd noticed exactly that trend in certain American paintings.

>What lit is user, reading?
Gravity's Rainbow. Recently read Pynchon's description of the wonders of zettai ryouiki. Also the Gay Science but I haven't read it in ~2 weeks.
>What was the last read that left you really satisfied?
Catch-22
>Favorite novel?
It's looking like it will end up being Gravity's Rainbow but among books I've completed probably Ulysses. I've really enjoyed the meme trilogy so far.
>Next lit likely to be read?
Crime and Punishment, then a re-read of Lot 49 before Vineland. After the Gay Science I'll probably read Twilight of the Idols or maybe the Geneology of Morals.

Attached: image.jpg (480x721, 66K)

Who cares you maggot? I’ll crush you

>What lit is user, reading?
Houellebecq's the Possibility of an Island and Huizinga's the Waining of the Middle ages. I've been enjoying the latter a lot, I like history studied through a more humane lens to try and catch the spirit of an era. I don't know about Houellebecq, I'm probably not old, or experienced enough to be able to relate to his nove; I still enjoy his style, it feels a little like a Yea Forums post at times.
>What was the last read that left you really satisfied?
Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang; do you anons can suggest anything similar to his production?
>Favorite novel?
Definitely The Idiot by Dostoevsky.
>Next lit likely to be read?
Probably will continue with Houellebecq's bibliography, together with something non-fiction that I still have to decide.

Attached: 1537458962368.jpg (2048x1536, 331K)

Nice, user! Gravity’s Rainbow is such a wonderful book. Pynchon’s ability for cycling through the funny, the tragic, the profound and the beautiful is really awe-inspiring. There’s so many sublime passages in that book.

>Ulysses
I’ve yet to read it, but I loved Dubliners and Portrait. What did you think of it? As your favorite novel, what does it mean to you?

>Crime and Punishment
Also a really good book. Hope you enjoy it once you get around to it.

Attached: AF79E3D3-EE80-47D7-928E-9C28060ACC7A.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

same

>I’ve yet to read it, but I loved Dubliners and Portrait.
I think you'll like it if you loved portrait. In a way its relation to Ulysses is like the relation of Pynchon's V. to GR: it has some experimentation that is greatly expanded upon in the later book. However the jump from Portrait to Ulysses is larger than the jump from V. to GR. V. is already pretty wacky.

>What did you think of it?
Well like you said about GR:
>Pynchon’s ability for cycling through the funny, the tragic, the profound and the beautiful is really awe-inspiring. There’s so many sublime passages in that book.
You could say the exact same thing about Ulysses, although I think on a word-by-word basis, Joyce beats Pynchon handily when it comes to sublime beauty. Joyce always seems to know the exact word to use to paint the picture he wants to. Pynchon does too, in a way, but Pynch rarely *sounds* as nice as Joyce.

Joyce cycles through styles in much the same way as Pynchon, particularly in the chapter "Cyclops". That chapter is like a kaleidoscope of different styles of writing and one of the most entertaining reading experiences I've had.

>As your favorite novel, what does it mean to you?
I think that Ulysses is the first book that put the process of *reading* at the forefront. Joyce clearly loved reading, and I think he wrote Ulysses to be a great thing to *read*. Ulysses is a "reader's" book. What I mean is: if you like the *process* of reading, the process of viewing words on a page and converting those words into ideas and not just reading for a good story, I think you'll love Ulysses.

Now all that said, I think I may "like" Gravity's Rainbow more personally, partly because I think I can connect with it more. I'm American and Pynchon is closer to my time than Joyce is. Also conspiracy, occultism, and WWII are more interesting to me than cuckoldry, catholicism, and Dublin. BUT they are still very close and I can see my favorite changing depending on my mood

Attached: pirate-prentice.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

Also I wanted to add that I actually see more parallels between Gravity's Rainbow and Finnegans Wake than GR and Ulysses. They share similar themes, particularly the cyclical nature of time, and they both cycle through different narratives seemingly without any transition, but all the narratives are ultimately connected to the themes of the books.

I think I've read in a post on Yea Forums before that someone thought that GR was somewhat of an attempt to make a more accessible (lol) version of Finnegans Wake, and the more I read, the more that view seems to make sense.

Me too

that painting is amazing.

Book good

>tfw no qt antifascist gf

I also partake in the pleasures of the written word, sometimes even to a fault. Ive been known to stall in the unis bathroom just to read the different scribblings, ideologic arguments and diverse insults to loose women on the door.
Right now Im gonna read The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster, I have a very good feeling about it.