Should I study philosophy at university or is it really career suicide?

Should I study philosophy at university or is it really career suicide?

Attached: aa.jpg (1024x768, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

philosophy.fas.harvard.edu/journalist-matthew-yglesias
thedp.com/article/2013/04/2005-college-graduate-switches-paths-to-create-venmo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you have family and connections you can study whatever you like and you will be fine
If you don't, you can study whatever you like and you will still be flipping burgers and sucking cocks in the back alley to make ends meet

>career suicide
more like suicide career amirite?

i studied philosophy but i didnt have to pay for college lole.

Attached: madonna_24.jpg (1072x712, 99K)

>career

Attached: really.jpg (367x400, 32K)

Just kill yourself after you run out of schooling like any sensible person.

Ayy

If You work hard, have connections in academia or some OGN or think-tank, can make connections in academia or some OGN or think-tank and/or can write a decent article and suck cock on command it can be a preddy good carreer.

Study history and just take a few western thought courses.

You won't have a career, are you on a tenure path? congratulations, you've already hit the zenith, if you aren't already tenured a year after graduating, you've lost the lottery, your career is already over.

Well ContraPoints studied philosophy.
Just become a youtuber

You again, Dumb cunt, enter STEM and buy philosophy works on the side and read when you have time to spare you fucking twat

Ok but what STEM fields? I was thinking CS but it seems way over saturated.

I wouldn't have to either, it's nearly free where I live but still, I'd start working 3 years later if I decided to get a more marketable degree

You want me to tell you what STEM field to enter????, wouldn’t you already have a rough idea of what you’d be great at and could potentially dominate? I’m entering Architecture and after copping a degree in Structural Engineering, whilst being well read, because you know, like otherwise who were also wise, we didn’t get cucked into useless degrees, pussy

>I’m entering Architecture
Jesus H. Christ why are you determined to fuck up your life?

>ContraPoints
What a weird fucker. I agree with her(?) on many things but she's still a fucking freak. I feel like if these people weren't so in-your-face the Left would do a lot better. I watched one of her videos on trannies and it kind-of made sense until she started talking about feminine penises and at that point I can't even tell if she's joking.

BECAUSE I FUCKING LOVE PAIN

Take a few classes in school but study it on the side. A Phil degree might only work if you plan on becoming a HS teacher or lawyer, imo.

In my experience a few classes here and there are helpful but not if you go for a formal degree. Besides, current year philosophy in the academy is about ninety percent bullshit right now.

If you're not going to a top 10 worldwide institution and don't have a decent network, don't do it. If you do, go for it.

Yeah I figured. So I guess it's STEM or nothing .... I'm just so fucking scared of becoming a code monkey. It's just not what I want my life to be.

You’ll be alright, according to user above I’m determined to fuck up my life by entering Architecture, so by the looks of it, we’re all fucked my brother, so laugh and enjoy yourself

you can work and study like amerikkkans do

Aahaha, might as well.
Btw, I don't want to scare you off but I've heard bad things about architect's job market as well. You might want to get a graduate or something.
Yeah, there are no top 10 worldwide institution in my country for any subjects and I live in the suburbs so I hoped I could start networking in the university. I know, I'm fucked already.

What kind of fucking nerd cares about a "career".

Don't. Do psychology. It's like applied philosophy when utilized therapeutically and clinically.

Philosophy majors easily slide into law school, it's perfectly fine if you have goals at higher education or teaching. Being a philosopher is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too difficult to be successful at, and is typically secondary, a fruitful hobby at first for those you hear about.

Fucking shit advice

I just don't wanna break my bones cleaning bathroom all my life or something. I've met people who did.

I could get into the Architecture industry because of a parent’s connection, (we know a successful architect in the field, and have friends who could pitch me jobs and firms so I’m all set, so essentially nepotism) and I love it, Architecture, literature and philosophy all go together, I believe so. It’s an easy situation I’m in and I literally just have to do the work.

You have to be over 18 to post here

Then go for it, of course, though I probably shouldn't be the one giving advice since I started this thread asking for it. You shouldn't underestimate the gift of having found your passion. Most of us haven't and a lot never will.

Attempting to build a successful career as a lawyer is just as hard as becoming a successful philosopher.

Philosophy PhD who got lucky to find an empty position at a good university:
"Study Philosophy and look to establish good, long-term connections with Faculty members so that you can get recommendations later on which will help your chances of being on a list of possible candidates for a temporary assistant professorship."
Maths/Physics/CS major:
"Plato and Descartes are nice as food for thought whenever you're feeling a bit wacky and want to think about weird stuff, but wouldn't you rather study something more rigorous, that'd be more closely connected to contemporary understandings and interactions with reality?"
Law student:
"Philosophy's good as an undergrad study, but for post-grad it's better to study something serious that'll actually earn you money."
Guy who works as the Chief Deep Frier at Wendy's:
"DON'T study philosophy. That shit's as bad as being convicted of rape and murder."
Guy who works in HR:
"Philosophy offers no great advantage or disadvantage you'd get out of studying any Humanities/LA degree, as far as finding employment is concerned. If you like it, go for it."
NEETs & ChemEng students:
"Philosophy can be something to read on your spare time, not something you'd want to waste tens of thousands of dollars spending money by hearing professors tell you to read a select number of pages off Spinoza's Ethics or some famous paper by Nagel/Quine for the sake of writing a 2 page essay or critical analysis of it as part of this week's homework."
The Socratic/Stoic thinker:
"Philosophy is a way of living and thinking, not a study which ought to be done only within the closed doors of schools for a hefty price."

No, becoming a lawyer fullstop is harder than becoming a philosopher, the surplus of lawyers is truly absurd for a career with so few jobs.

Only if you’re going to become a lawyer. You need to put bread on the table somehow.

do it. but make sure you get a minor or double major in math, stats, comp sci or econ too
philosophy.fas.harvard.edu/journalist-matthew-yglesias
>philosophy.fas.harvard.edu/journalist-matthew-yglesias

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-06 at 20.29.04.png (1869x1097, 378K)

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-06 at 20.31.40.png (1818x1212, 391K)

If you want into academia it's top 20 or 50 at most grad school or nothing. You have to give it your all to have a chance. That's for tenure or a prestigious postdoc.

No it's not career suicide, it's just regular suicide not acted upon.

Based

I’ll tell you in three years lol

Depends on what you hope to accomplish with it.
You want to become an academic teaching Phil? You need a degree obviously, but unless you're exceptional and know how to network you'll probably fail
Learn philosophy? Useless unless you can financially deal with frivolous spending. Alternative is a Library card, the internet, and independent motivation (this will most likely eliminate you, no offense)
Wagecuck Career? No, getting a philosophy degree for this is retarded
But that shouldn't be your goal. If you're intelligent enough to succeed in academic philosophy, you can transcend getting a "job". Entrepreneurship requires confidence and intelligence. If you're too poor to risk this don't get a fucking philosophy degree lol. Study something safer so you can wagecuck. I graduated with a history degree, and I'm the only one in my class who didn't end up teaching high School or unemployed because I got the degree with intention of using the skills and knowledge I got to create business once I graduated. Think into the future, don't be an aimless youth

Just read primary texts in philosophy, read most popular textbooks on Open Syllabus Project, search for authors, titles, schools of thought, etc. as supplementary literature. If you don't understand something see commentary from around the same time as the primary text or as close as possible to said date. Once you have done this you will have a superior background to any philosophy student.

Better than Liberal Arts amirite

do whatever you will excel in my fren

This is hardly a glowing endorsement of philosophy

It's a waste of money and time. Reading philosophy is a hobby, it has no application in the real world.

Get a useful degree (engineering or statistics ect), but take a class or two of philosophy each semester. Most of the mandatory courses in philosophy programs are boring and useless, but most of the interesting philosophy classes you can take (german idealism, philosophy of mind, philosophy of science, intro to analytic philosophy, post-structuralism were the ones i got to take) are graspable as long as you have a philosophical inclination, and know a bit of philosophical history.

I (22) am studying philosophy for my undergrad. If I can, I wi get an architecture master’s. Otherwise I’m not sure. But I’ve already accepted I’ll probably be homeless if my mom kicks me out. I’ll definitely be in debt for a long time. It would take extreme luck to land a job capable of paying off this shit but fuck it. I enjoy it and that’s that.

Reminder Venmo founders were Phil Majors
thedp.com/article/2013/04/2005-college-graduate-switches-paths-to-create-venmo

Capital requires creativity and that's about it.

If you have rich parents it's a great choice
otherwise no
If you like playing with abstractions Math, CS, CompE and EE are solid choices.

Honestly? I pretty much all "intellectual" field. As long as it's using your head over using your mind I appreciate it, without discrediting blue collar workers, they're more useful to society than I could ever be. So my goal would be to study something cool and then either enter research or become an enterpreneur

user, do whatever you want, most of the time an engineering degree will get you nowhere since the demand for engineers can be extremely saturated or low, and you'll have trouble looking for a job. I know many engineers (Comercial, risk prevention, mathematics) who ended up working retail because of this. In fact, my old highschool math teacher was actually an engineering degree that wanted to be a teacher, when she got fired she had to work as a hairdresser.
A degree in some supposedly high end job, even something such as law, doesn't necessarily mean you'll earn 6 figures, it might just be the opposite.

Yeah, I'm just trying to gather informations for as many sources as possible. I just feel like in this day and age you kinda have some understanding of computers and of course mathematics to be any relevant in philosophy.

What would be the best degree for an enterpreneur?

POVERA E NUDA VAI, FILOSOFIA

why would studying philosophy be suicide, provided the university is good?

Attached: IQbydegree.png (280x873, 85K)

Because it isn't the study leading to high IQ, it is only high IQ that are interested/capable of studying philosophy.

That image says nothing about the value of those degrees, nor of the perceived value in the marketplace.

Things like mathematics have market value, for example as quants for investment banking, but there are no such values for philosophy. The only place where people place value in it is in education, though except for academic placement as said earlier, there isn't a door it opens.

As a young person starting, market value should not be low on the list of priorities. It is setting yourself up for debt slavery.

You probably don't realise literally noone is going to pay people for philosophy.

Ofc then probably with a more flexible mindset or whatever, after studying philosophy, one is more likely to adapt to different fields.

not gonna make it

>career
Too late for any of that shit.

>provided the university is good?
There's no such thing as Good universities user.

The fuck is that supposed to mean

go for it user
who cares if it is career suicide or not, just do what you want and bee urself

the market is saturated with stemfags after a job. if you enjoy philosophy you'll find a way to use it. remind yourself that you will change because of it, and you'll begin to see other avenues that you wouldn't have notice before taking it.

Lol you think it's easier to get tenure and work as a "philosopher"? Lawyers only need to make it thru the right hoops. Some nominally successful lawyers I've encountered are almost retarded.

Attached: D9Y3ReLVAAAykoc.jpg (750x721, 80K)

>literally noone is going to pay people for philosophy.
So you just don't know about research universities? No one in this thread knows what the fuck they're talking about.

I don't think any job requires a philosophy degree.
If you want to be a philosopher, your work ought to speak for itself.

based

He's not joking. Cue to "I'm a biological woman".

Ask yourself. Why do I want to study philosophy at a university? Think long-term user.

Yeah I majored in political science and English and after graduation I got a job working in finance. It's all about the connections

This. The way your life goes is decided at birth.

I went Notes>Idiot>BK, although I'm only ~150 pages into BK, and it worked out fine for me. One day I'll probably read Crime and punishment, possibly Demons, but I have too many books on my nightstand to go out and buy more. I feel that Dosto doesn't take too much preparation to read, certainly it took me a little bit to get used to his style when reading Notes and again at the beginning of the Idiot, but after that it has been smooth sailing

I am a complete retard and posted this in the wrong thread

>Lawyers only need to make it thru the right hoops
That's just objectively wrong, only about 50% of people who pass the bar exam end up ever practising law, you can literally jump through all the right hoops and still fail. Most that end up practising end up being stuck at $30k/yr divorce court.

The prospects for people graduating law school are so bad they're the only private educational institutions that are allowed to hide and not report the numbers.

It's not career suicide, but the people are likely to be obnoxious assholes who will make you want to commit suicide anyway. Academia is horrible in general.

why do people act like the type of degree you take is really that important?
speaking purely for uk universities most jobs will not give a fuck about what you studied as long as you got a first, have decent experience and not a complete sperg

most jobs suck

Most options have a substantial amount of losers on the journey there and on the other side. Just go with what you are exceptional at and what minimizes the financial and time cost of getting there.

>philosophy
>brevity and clarity
Absolutely full of shit. Philosophy is, almost as if by design, neither brief nor clear on its face, or even after much reflection.

EconChads rise up

philosophy is good
>tranny who cries at iq stats
philosophy is just as difficult as engineering retard
>architecture
lol
>"she"
based, psychology is for women
so you're just a nepotistic moron, excellent
low iq cope

Attached: averageiqmajor.png (496x873, 142K)

>average English sat score for Econ students is 500
>I got 680 my first try
Am I gonna make it bros

Your post formatting makes me want to commit suicide.

>tfw 128 iq in economics
Tbh, I feel like a brainlet. Half of econ is made up and I got accepted into a heterodox econ phd program which I didn't go to. Shit is wack lol.

Philosophy is a pretty trendy non-traditional major for Finance in my limited experience.

Just don't go to a shit tier law school, hmmm?

where is this from lol

Econ kids at my school are downright retarded

You can, but you'll have to do law or something afterward. So if this is the end of your education, you might as well not go to college at all.

Wait is this an actually correct SAT to IQ conversion? Am I actually smart and not a midwit? If so this is the best day of my life.

You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a university degree to study philosophy. Just read books.

Philosophy is good. Wasting money to study philosophy at university is not good.

If your IQ is listed on that chart, you are a midwit

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure those are not real. An IQ of 130 is in the top 98th percentile in intelligence and I don't think it would be even statistically possible for the average student of basically any STEM major to be 2 standard deviations above average, which is the picture that chart is painting. If you're willing to accept stats I pull out of my ass I also believe the average IQ of a degree holder in the US is like 105, and the highest average IQ by profession is usually agreed to be medical doctors with like 120.

Attached: iqjobs.jpg (512x921, 273K)

CS isn't over saturated
The need for IT, sysadmins, programmers and pentesters grows every goddamn day
You can get a job real easy

Gee Maybe IQ doesn’t really mean anything

I knew a guy who studied philosophy and he ended up getting a job at Goldman Sachs. But he went to Princeton. And he knew how to code.

Wait people still go to college for anything other than STEM?
Why?

Isn't IQ a wildly outdated and inaccurate way to represent general intellect?

Because you definitely will have the time for that. Look at all those STEMfags that are just as well versed in philosophy as someone who dedicates a great portion of their life to it.

Sometimes I see " freelance philosopher "
What does these people do for living?

Only frustrated stemfags will say otherwise but philosophy offers (1) answers to your ethical questions and (2) is a nice supplement to any career because of abstract thinking

>and he knew how to code
if you cannot learn how to code within a matter of weeks and have interests in philosophy you should probably meet yourself half way by going to a community college for the arts

You can get an okish operations desk monkey job with it.

Don’t know my IQ, but I did way better than the highest average on my SAT

Take a few philosophy electives to round out whatever useful non-career suicide university degree you choose to pursue. I took a few philosophy courses during my engineering undergrad, it was cozy.