Book Reviews

Hey Yea Forums first time here.
Today I went shooping and saw some books that interested me. And so before i bought them I wanted another person's opinion on them. It's about five off them so I'll post the covers off them.

Attached: IMG_20190906_104012.jpg (1920x2560, 973K)

2nd

Attached: IMG_20190906_104636.jpg (2560x1920, 1008K)

3rd

Attached: IMG_20190906_105120.jpg (1920x2560, 977K)

4th

Attached: IMG_20190906_105052.jpg (1920x2560, 971K)

5th

Forgot the image

Attached: IMG_20190906_105023.jpg (1920x2560, 1.06M)

I haven't read any of them but i will warn you that crossboarders here will shit on Mary Beard because of some /pol/ twitter nonsense from years ago. It won't be likely that you will find an honest opinion on her books.

How do you know they are wrong if you haven't read her books? Your post is as retarded as any of theirs might be.

all shitlib nonsense , read guenon who retroactively debunked whitehead

He didn't say that they were.

If you want to read Roman history just read the primary sources. (Suetonius, Tacitus, Plutarch etc). Beard is a hack, and if you really need to read pop-historians at least go for Goldsworthy or Holland.

I don't know anything about the second book looks like total schlock.

I've read it. Its not awful but its not great either. I know its a meme but reading the original texts (translated) is more fun and rewarding than pop-history and requires only a little more effort.

This one is kind of interesting if you have no prior knowledge of geopolitics. If you do, it's simplistic and you probably know everything in it. Haven't read the others.

oh, so she must be good

>History book written by a female
It belongs in the bin.

i'm a classics student so will only offer view on spqr, it is a pop history book so expect pop history but it is better than most

that book is one simplistic and superficial way to position yourself as a writer

how do i know? i counted

I only feel contempt towards you.
Kill yourself.

great book, read it along side the guys posted heredont know

The Thirty Years War by Veronica Wedgwood is good.

Attached: Ill-Bake-Your-Cock.jpg (500x408, 91K)

I didn't ask for your opinion.

lmao. i legit struggle to follow this board anymore.

Don't bother reading Mary Beard, even by pop history standards it's rather subpar. If you want some decent modern pop history on Rome read something by Peter Brown or Tom Holland, if you want something a little beyond that go with Edward Watts or Ferdinand Addis.

Attached: 61Q1F4qGJ2L.jpg (645x1000, 84K)

>reee /pol/ boogeymen
Mary beard is a pseudo intellectual hack who revises history. Maybe you should actually read the book you pleb

I haven't read SPQR but I do recommend giving Tony Spawforth's book a try. The author does a great job of connecting the dots--culturally, militarily, politically--between Greece and Rome.

Attached: 61TiGx0QxKL.jpg (809x1181, 119K)

It wasn't /pol/ it was Nassim Taleb. And he was right to trash her.

post feet

Political Order and Political Decay is better

Only read SPQR, and found it was too smugly (and even irreflexibly) dismissive of primary sources and annoyingly hamfisted