Do writers make money?

Basically title, I’m writing a post apocalyptic novel and I’m wondering, can you make a living off of writing a book?

Attached: 46D1250C-282F-49E5-9782-34F0FC3FBB16.jpg (154x326, 14K)

maybe.

if the book sells.

Some do, most won't

It’s possible, but not likely

Obviously. Like with all artistic professions, the ones at the top earn a lot while the ones in the middle and bottom earn barely anything.

No writers do not make money. No you shouldn't expect to make a living off art. Still, engage in art. Make your art. But it's not for money. It is rare to get money for art.

If your book gets adapted into something people actually give a shit about, like a movie or TV show, sure.

Otherwise no.

It seems like there’s always a shitload of different books at barns and nobles and other book stores, like TONS, so I don’t think it’s as hard as, say, being a director or a actor.

Untrue.

That’s actually what I was planning, writing a book and making a animated series/movie out of it (if it proves to be popular). Is this a good plan?

Bump

There may be lots of books at Barnes & Noble but not all of those living authors are making a living off of it.

I make 60k a year writing for different magazines and stuff. Obviously not deep shit, but its writing, and its good and better than anythint else I could imagine with my abilities. Also live in a low rent area, own a cheap car, have no real expenses and get to have a nice cash flow with savings so I can hopefully retire at 40 in my little lot where I can spend my time and money to do whatever I want. I can always do freelance a bit if I need connection with the real world. But writing a book for selling...i dunno man, maybe, if youre good. Your odds are stacked heavily against you. I know really smart people that have great ideas and write well, but event they have trouble getting anywhere..good luck though

>can you make a living off of writing a book?

a book, probably not. but people do seem to make a living writing a bunch of books.

the easiest way if you have a decent concept, is to keep making sequels. series make money for the authors and are much easier to write as the character and world building is done once but can be used across ten books.

i see series on kindle all the time. even self published ones i think they are making money based on the number of reviews they have, they are selling enough to make money. especially not going through a publisher they keep most of what they sell.

have to be good at marketing though

What’s so hard about it? I honestly think I have a really great idea.
Book series seems like a good idea, thanks for that advice, but how hard is it to actually become published? Do you have to be Jewish?

yes, i am a writer and i make money. but i am not a novelist.
it is extremely rare for novelists to make a substantial living. of course there are exeptions- john grisham, james patterson, etc- but most novelists do not make much money from their books and have to also have additional employment, such as teaching and so on.

so are you writing erotica or what

no, i'm a technical writer on a contract

people get published but how many of those authors
>get sales
>develop an audience
>become well-known
Name a writer whos debut came out in the last 10 years.

that awful hate u give woman

see? you don't even remember her name.

So should I just give up? What about writing for film/tv, is that any easier?

Don't give up. Just know that finding success as a writer isn't a bed of roses. Do whatever it takes to grab the attention of your audience. Follow trends. Pull out whatever idiotic gimmick you have in your arsenal. You will NEVER be let down when underestimating the American public.

That plan sounds like a lot of hope, what’s your actual structure and timeline?

Well, I originally wanted to go into film, but after taking some classes, I realized I didn’t really enjoy the filmmaking persay, but the story structure of the film itself. So my plan is to learn to write better (I’m taking some writing classes at my college for practice), then eventually write a story with this idea I’ve had for years now, I’m constantly thinking about it everyday and constantly edit things where they need be. After writing a (God willing) successful novel, I hope to use that face base as proof that my idea is profitable, and from there go on to make a movie/animated series based on the book.

well you alone wouldn't be able to make an adaptation

>Do you have to be Jewish?

well, no. but you have to go along with the program. the publishers, critics and editors are all either jews or equivalent. they think the same, so if your book is not going to be accepted by them, it has no chance of being published. you would have to go the self published route.

if you want them to publish your book, try to have female protagonist (actually know published author who was forced by his editor to change his protagonist from male to female), black is good, white is bad. male is bad. jew is good, asian is good, mexican is good. you know the drill. they never get tired of holocaust/nazi stories either. you see a new one published every month.

even the self-published guys take a lot of flack in the comments/reviews when they don't have "strong" female protagonists or characters. it seems like in 2019 this is the most important tthing right now. they are really looking for stories with female protagonists. you might get ahead of the curve if you have a transexual protagonist.

>After writing a (God willing) successful novel, I hope to use that face base as proof that my idea is profitable

a novel is a big investment user. if you are testing an idea, better to write a short story. if the short story is successful you can write a novel based on it or even go directly from short story to your screenplay.

I know, I’d obviously have to work with a extensive team, but I’d hope to oversee the project
Very true. I mean I guess I could include “pc” characters, but I don’t think I’d make them the main characters.

So maybe I should self publish a short story and if it gains traction I could focus on writing it as a novel or series

Don't expect to, and if you're trying to get into writing for the money write shit like childrens books or erotica for housewives, otherwise just write and see what happens.
It's good to write regardless for the same reason it's good to work out even if you aren't ever going to be in the Olympics.

Just like most of our economy works

Yes if Yang 2020, otherwise no.

>Name a writer whos debut came out in the last 10 years.
Sure its a meme. But its a meme that seems to have sold well. Meme books for politicaly minded autists is the future of profitable self publishing

Attached: 20190906_055846.png (924x1392, 1.21M)

Oh yeah. I mean, usually in their real jobs. But yes, all the time.

The truth

What are the health benefits of writing?

nowadays i think you can make money if you write female pandering bullshit under a feminine pen name.

Bump

Bunp

Never change aspects of your art for the sole purpose of marketability and financial success. This is the definition of selling out and is possibly the most cucked thing a writer can do. Write what you want, pay no attention to its financial success. If your book is truly great it will be found (fun fact: Bach languished in relative obscurity for centuries before being discovered by the Romantic composers, now he's considered among the greatest of all time). Better to have written a sublime novel and died in poverty than to have been wealthy yet inconsequential, remember that this physical world is mere appearance and you will find salvation in the afterlife, so don't place too much importance on your corporeal well-being.

I see from your replies that you're extremely naive and pretty dumb. Good luck lol.

What u mean

>i've never been on Yea Forums before but i'm writing shitty genrefiction trash that i intend to masturbate to, and wanted to also get rich off it while i jerk off because i'm too retarded to have any job options beyond clerking a grocery store. can you guys take time out of your day to spoonfeed me?
>i'm like gonna be the next hemingway, no one has EVER written a shitty post apoc novel like this before!

>i plan to play basketball casually after school and get picked up by a professional league and drafted to a million dollar position
>is this a good plan guys?