Hey Yea Forums...

Hey Yea Forums, I was wondering if there were any historical books about Alexander the Great (maybe some bios written by people who knew him or lived around the same time)?

Attached: BritMusAlexander-56aab6eb5f9b58b7d008e328.jpg (500x333, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thegreatcourses.com/courses/alexander-the-great-and-the-macedonian-empire.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No need, he already got BTFO by Diogenes

Plutarch

Arrian's Anabasis.

This, they just came out with a landmark edition. Plutarch didnt know shit about the battles and was writing a moral piece, Diodorus wrote a tertiary account, and Quintus Curtius Rufus was writing celebrity scandal stuff for Roman upper class readers. Arrian was a military man and his account really is a delight, with a startling amount of critical assessment. I have a folio edition from the 50s illustrated and its one of my favorite books.

I already own this book but haven't read it yet. It's strange that a man like Alexander never had generals that decided to sit down and write about him as a person (or write about him at all).

Curtius and Arrian. I've read both. I prefer Curtius' pedagogic and narration to Arrian's, but together they are pretty solid.

He did tho, Ptolemy and Callisthenes (who's notes ptolemy probably stole after alexander caged/executed his court historian). Arrian uses ptolemy as his main source, and judges him worthy because apparently ptolemy larped as a king and was always very truthful and tried never to mention himself.

>folio edition from the 50s illustrated and its one of my favorite books.
Jelly, tbphfam

ngl, you should find it used somewhere

Attached: 719C99B2-7B50-4FF3-9735-2B2AC73ADEBA.png (1080x1920, 2.46M)

pub year was 58

Attached: D8BD0D1E-AAC8-494A-9CF5-5353FC772B31.png (1080x1920, 2.54M)

Yeah I'll keep it in mind but I'm regretting buying food this week already.

Diogenes is a hack for pseudos and redditers on a Rick and Morty level. People like him because he was eccentric and has some stories rather than him being a particularly novel or landmark philosopher.

Hisfic but God of War by Christian Cameron is about Alexander through the eyes of Ptolemy.

Imagine knowing a man like Alexander the Great. Unreal honestly.

Gaylexander

>I was wondering if there were any historical books about Alexander the Great
Nah bruh no ones ever written about him. Who is that btw?

More pictures please :3

Alexander the Faggot

Alexander was king, in the greek schema he could fuck anyone he wanted.

Sounds like a brute rather than a true scholar or perceptive mind.

Firstly, yes Alexander was a drunken brute despite his attempts to appear scholarly. See Cleitus the Black's end.

However more to the point, Greek sexuality was object based. Which means that there were feminine and masculine roles which inter-played with social standing. So if you were a Macedonian noble and fucked a boy at a brothel, you probably didnt tell your wife but it didnt make you """"gay"""". Getting fucked by someone your social equal made you a faggot tho, and the whole alexander the gay thing comes from the suggestion that Hephastion was the dominant partner. Also look into the assassination of Philip II. The guy who killed him was gangraped by Phillips generals and companions, and Phillip didnt give him justice, and sort of called him a faggot so he redeemed himself probably at Olympias's behest. In short, dont use modern terms, especially queer-study trash to explain Greek sexuality.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (264x400, 24K)

I have no problem with Alexander except for the fact he burned Persepolis' library.

shit happens when you are chugging unwatered wine with your battle bros. Sometimes you even capture Tyre

TIL the invasion of Persia was a lads holiday

We barely know anything about Achaemenid culture, literary tradition, or etc. as a consequence.

Thats why the modern view of Alexander as a philosopher king is trash.

The last healthy days of alexander's life:
Day 1
The Royal Diaries tell us that he drank and caroused with Medius. Later he rose, had a bath and slept. He then returned to have dinner with Medius and again drank far into the night. Leaving the drinking, he bathed, after which he had a little to eat and went to sleep there. The fever was already on him.

Day 2
Each day he was carried on his couch to perform the customary sacrifices, and after their completion he lay down in the men's apartments until dusk. During this time he gave instructions to his officers about the coming expedition and sea-voyage, for the land forces to be ready to move on the fourth day, and for those sailing with him to be prepared to cast off a day later. He was carried thence on his couch to the river, where he boarded a boat and sailed across to the garden where he rested again after bathing.

Day 3
The next day, he again bathed and performed the prescribed sacrifices. He then entered his room, lay down and talked to Medius. After ordering the officers to meet him in the morning, he had a little food. Carried back to his room, he lay now in continual fever the whole night.

This guy lived in the heyday of philosophy and just consumed and murdered. But he was a really good murderer regardless.

Arrian also notes that he destroyed 9 cities in bactria along the silk road, somewhat casually. He slaughtered the whole population and salted it. The description is a paragraph or two before he marries Roxanne

To be fair though, whoever gave a fuck about Uzbekistan?

Bactrians probably had a lot of interesting Buddhist, Zoroastrian, and philosophical texts.

Even Zoroastrians stopped giving a fuck about Alexander the Accursed.

True, but what about Thebes? BTW the best example of Alexander's pseudery and snobbery is his sparing the family and house of Pindar while burning down a classical city with untold artworks.preclassical architecture

>Thebes was new to tragedies
Pull the other one, it has bells on to guide the blind.

>tfw you arent motivated enough to make a thebes_poster.jpb

Daily reminder Alexander was probably marching on Persia by your age.

They just don't make a big fuss about it, but they hold a little resentment, just not to the point of wanting vengeance.

Wtf Alexander was a total neet

>are there any writings from before people started writing?

Attached: 884ACD4C-743D-4777-8251-190E68B364C1.jpg (645x773, 47K)

I've read Theodore Ayrault Dodge's Hannibal and also his Alexander. both were good, added bonus that he was a veteran cavalry officer that had actually visited the battle scenes (in Hannibal's case)

I swear half the faggots in uni researching have never had friends. It's the only explanation why the think every male friendship is a gay one.

That looks like a cool book

Lmao that's pretty fuckin accurate

>rather than him being a particularly novel or landmark philosopher
He is what the concept of cynicism is named for, kynikos (dog) was like his nickname. Incredibly ignorant comment.

He was the original chad

thegreatcourses.com/courses/alexander-the-great-and-the-macedonian-empire.html

Best course ever. Try to get the video version if you can.

are you mixing alexander up with the homeric age or something?