What's the purpose of praying...

What's the purpose of praying? Is it some kind of attempt to change God's will or change the nature of the one who's praying?

Attached: jesus.jpg (770x1241, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2802370/#!po=0.892857
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

self-delusion

It can be. But for others, when you start to delay gratification in your life, need some way to reattenuate focus in the moment. Praying is thus one way to ‘center’ one’s self, like meditating.

When you pray you don’t need to be ‘wishing’ or ‘asking’ for anything. It can be a tool for when you need to draw attention or focus away from something you don’t want to be paying attention to. In this way, praying could be a form of drawing inner strength instead of searching outward.

This, pray is a form of meditation. in fact, the original use of the word meditation could be used pretty synonymously with prayer. You focus on the divine mysteries and such.

There are a lot of different types of prayer. American prot trash tier is having a personal relationship with Jesus and basically visualizing your goals and desires. Catholic mystic tier is silent contemplation and self-forgetfulness.

Expand, please. What do you mean by meditation there?

LOL. The purpose of prayer is to get something you want from God. It's literally the definition. Don't try to shoehorn your woowoo 'spiritual esoterism' into it.

Certainly doesn’t hurt dear user.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2802370/#!po=0.892857

Peace of mind

Production of endorphins

The area of the brain associated with the sense of self began to “shut down,”

Prayer has been scientifically studied. It doesn't work.

Your parents raised with the strawman interpretation that "God is santa".
No spiritually mature individual thinks like that.

>purpose of prayer is to get something you want from God.
God gives you what you need not what you want. Are you praying for what Jesus recommends?

Attached: 043A31A0-2EF3-4F2A-B27B-B732AB3D465E.jpg (1024x974, 63K)

>Whaaaat! You can't just pray to God asking for something! That offends my 21st century liberal mystical esoteric sensibilities! That's what fundies do!!! God will give you what you need without praying (source:just believe me bro)!! You just have to sit on you butt all day trying to meditate!

Attached: frf.png (700x700, 317K)

>You can't just pray to God asking for something!
He didn’t say that, my retort was to his comment
>LOL. The purpose of prayer is to get something you want from God. It's literally the definition. Don't try to shoehorn your woowoo 'spiritual esoterism' into it.
Which is wrong. It’s God. You can Pray for whatever you want, He wants you to pray more anyway, but God answers the cries of the righteous.

The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.
Psalm 34:17

For the Lord will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the Lord to make you his people.

Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the Lord in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way
Samuel 12:21

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
John 5:14

Attached: A00ED954-DB91-476C-BD49-FBD6ACA53D28.jpg (1672x2506, 1.49M)

Communication with God, the perception of His Presence. We Say thou Will Be Done.
>This, pray is a form of meditation.
(((meditation))) is Prayer for brainlets.

Maybe Reddit is more your speed

This (but less snidely).

Meditation and prayer are not synonymous. Prayer is generally considered the communication of man with God. It nourishes the soul and cultivates faith. Without prayer there is no faith. You can meditate on the divine mysteries sure, but if you are not speaking to God through your heart, then I’m not sure that it is “prayer” as it’s generally considered. I don’t think it necessarily changes God’s Will, as everything is “Written”. But I think of it this way, some things you are meant to have in life but only because you prayed for them. From the human perspective you got it because you prayed, though I imagine from God’s perspective it was written that you would pray for it and receive it. But it’s not just got material wants. I personally pray for insight, strength, patience, the well being of others, lots of things. Prayer is an indispensable tool in this world, it is very beautiful for you. If you pray humbly and sincerely the Lord will draw near to you and make His presence known, try it out!

It's emotion becoming manifest in abstract thought. Transcending above reason and linear thought, almost like having no thought at all.
It's pure will and communion to God through heart.

I disagree about it not involving thought. Whether I’m reciting prayers or doing personal ones I am certainly thinking about what I say. Why would you not think?

As I said it's ALMOST like no thought it all because it can't be expressed like we are doing through language. I do not recite prayers. I do not pray through language.

>Prayer has been scientifically studied. It doesn't work.

Attached: the world.png (258x258, 133K)

>want to enter a deep state of praying
>can't focus more than a few seconds on the task
>mfw
Wow, the tecnofacist movement really fucks you up even spiritually. Any tips to help a spiritualet achieve a better state of mind to pray?

Attached: 1566505418686.jpg (1000x1375, 413K)

Well, In a way it’s asking, but theologically it is more communion. Being that god is omnipotent and omnipresent, he isn’t going to be swayed by your argument. It’s more of a wish for providence.

>tecnofascist
I know that you don't know what fascism is

the word “pray” literally means to request, you brainlets