Yea Forums's thought on Historical Fiction

any suggestions are welcome

Attached: 51CN3iQ8k4L._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (315x499, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rj0VyfFiC8Q
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln
britannica.com/biography/Abraham-Lincoln
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Burr
britannica.com/biography/Aaron-Burr
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pic related is amazing. It will help you with your life. Do not be intimidated by the setting, you do not need to really know anything about Japanese history to read it, but you will learn a little in the process. It is set just after the battle of Sekigahara in 1600 and follows Musashi's quest to become the greatest swordsman ever. Truly an epic tale

I, Claudius and Claudius the God are both good books as well but the author takes many liberties with accurate depictions of the characters

Attached: musashi.jpg (318x461, 46K)

thanks man

Umberto Eco's books are pretty good.

Attached: 100700.jpg (1187x1500, 1.57M)

How does he take liberties? I thought basically the whole point of those books (which I liked a lot) was that he takes the skeletal account provided by the classical authors, mainly Suetonius and Tacitus, and then fills out the missing details in a plausible but obviously fictional and dramatic account. I don't recall that he dramatically subverts any of the characters' reputations, I guess maybe aside from Claudius, who he turns into a sympathetic flawed character easily recognizable to a modern audience, in juxtaposition to the (it generally seems to a modern reader) cruel and hateful accounts in the sources, on account of his deformity and stutter and so on. Aside from that, if anything, I thought the point was that Graves was taking the standard historical reading of various characters, like that Livia was a scheming jezebel, and dialing it up to dramatic proportions. Not subverting such readings.

After a few books, you'll be growing mutton chops, what?

Attached: flashman-3.jpg (1300x723, 153K)

do you have the hardcover or paperback?

You are correct but Livia was likely nothing like how she is depicted in the book, which made me wary of treating the books as anything more than fiction. The only historical source that suggests Livia was like this was Tacitus, which explains why Graves writes her like this, but other than that there is no evidence she was a scheming jezebel. He does the same with some of the other characters, but I cannot recall which since I read it a while ago, I just remember Livia being the most criminal example.

Get the hardcover as it is ~900 pages

Flashman is cleanest, best pleasure. Really top notch.

Bleeding Edge is a historical novel

Attached: bleeding-edge-banner-4.jpg (1865x1307, 856K)

How does it compare to Sharpe?

sounded cool but haven't read it, its about to come in the mail

Attached: 51qd4REDGKL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (306x499, 36K)

Shogun was fun.

Big dicked Englishman crushing Japanese puss.

Looks like you're right, the image comes mostly from Tacitus. It's the one that becomes popular in literary culture etc., so I guess Graves is following the "standard" Livia that most educated Brits would know.

Still, Suetonius was working in Rome for the government while writing the first half of his history (or so?), so maybe he just couldn't report the really spicy stuff. dunno.

Attached: livia.jpg (873x472, 116K)

I haven’t read Sharpe, but Flashman is definitely better.

It is my favorite fiction genre for modern books.

Count Belisarius and I, Claudius by Robert Graves are both excellent.

Attached: 71VZWUusFCL.jpg (761x1170, 217K)

I havent read Flashman, but its probably better than sharpe. Sharpe is a nice light hearted, and a little cheesy romp. Its junk food, but its nice enough. I prefer Horatio Hornblower.

Sharpe is fun, but Flashman will teach you more about fascinating history you had never heard of. Then he'll seduce a woman and try to avoid all danger, and be damned charming the whole time.

My only regret is that my facial hair can't grow into his tart catchers.

Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz

Attached: 81i68hKoY0L.jpg (1181x1824, 432K)

Sharpe, Aubrey-Maturin and Hornblower are all great if you want some Napoleonic fiction.

Attached: Bong Kino.jpg (1511x1177, 284K)

My favorite is Ben Hur: a Tale of the Christ

is there a Historical fiction chart?

What about mythic historical fiction; stories based on historical places so old they are shrouded in legend and occult notions?
Or would that classify as fantasy?

>no one's posted JG Farrell yet
Troubles>Singapore. Haven't read Siege but it's the shortest

If you like Graves read Memoirs of Hadrian by Yourcenar and Augustus by John Williams.

Taiko is also good.

I've never read it but Wolf Hall gets mentioned a lot.

Aztec by Gary Jennings

Burr and Lincoln by Gore Vidal both exceeded my expectations. Highly recommend them.

Attached: 71XZqwO5gOL.jpg (767x1190, 187K)

Thoughts on these books

Attached: 9780451488336.jpg (897x451, 199K)

No! Pharaoh by Bolesław Prus.

The movie is fucking awesome as well
youtube.com/watch?v=Rj0VyfFiC8Q

It's pretty good series of small books about 14th century France.

Attached: The_Iron_King-Maurice_Druon_(1956).jpg (264x378, 16K)

I want to loan Lincoln from my local library. Thing is, I’m ignorant about USA history (south american). Do i need some background? How about the language? Is it difficult or not so much?

Not a big fan of Follett, the others are pretty good.

>Do i need some background?
Yes, if you read both of their Encyclopedia Britannica and Wikipedia pages you'll be more than ready for the books.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln
britannica.com/biography/Abraham-Lincoln

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Burr
britannica.com/biography/Aaron-Burr

Attached: 9xkY85Q.jpg (2850x3742, 882K)

How has no one posted this

Attached: 7D9D7394-100D-492E-8EF4-D334BA2EC31F.jpg (235x341, 13K)

No

Augustus