Among Poe’s bad writing habits is his attempt to provide authority for the tale he is about to tell by citing factual...

>Among Poe’s bad writing habits is his attempt to provide authority for the tale he is about to tell by citing factual precedents for it. He begins “The Premature Burial,” for example, by citing three or four newspaper stories about people buried prematurely - just to establish that this sort of thing can happen. He would give his tale then the authority of borrowed fact. He argues from scientific authority in “Descent into the Maelstrom” that the Nordic waters are known to be susceptible to just such terrifying phenomena as he will describe. Poe likes to argue his way into his stories. It’s the fiction writer’s admission after all that he is not a factualist, that he stands outside the culture of empirical truth. And as such it is a fatally defensive move.

Oh no. Not good.

Attached: tippihedrenbirds_large.jpg (1600x2161, 468K)

Other urls found in this thread:

poetryfoundation.org/poems/52370/the-haunted-palace
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lol what a fag that guy was

Poe is both big brain and small brain depending on how you look at him. Like Yeats being a total retard as a kid yet somehow still being brilliant. Idk why people don’t like Poe here though, he’s basically American Borges.

>Idk why people don’t like Poe here though

I, for one, am one of his adherents.

Attached: tumblr_ov08x7CvYD1w2fwqzo1_1280.jpg (1024x1024, 310K)

>filename
Nice try, negro. But seriously, I feel sorry for folk who feel the need to post things like this on the internet---it's like they lack so much as a solid sense of self that they create an illusion of having one by latching onto whatever the fuck else (in this case, an author) that catches a bit of their fancy (or of other's) and then fill the cracks with this sort of fetishization of related merchandise/paraphernalia. What's worse about this pic is that it goes further into shamelessness by appealing to footfaggotry.

I like his poetry a lot but never got that into his short stories.

Purloined Letter and The Tell-Tale Heart are top-tier if you ever want to give his stories a try

I read Tell-tale heart and it's undeniably really good, I guess I just don't care that much about horror stories. Which is weird because i love horror movies.

Some of his poems are just fucking brilliant though. The Haunted Palace is my favorite
poetryfoundation.org/poems/52370/the-haunted-palace

>I guess I just don't care that much about horror stories

His detective stories are very good. You could give those a try if that's more your thing.

I will give them a look, thanks user. What do you like about his stories in particular?

>he’s basically American Borges.

Speaking of Borges, the man really loved his Poe.

Attached: Borges.jpg (927x331, 115K)

Woke

morelikepooamirite

>What do you like about his stories in particular?

The framing. The strange touches. The intellectual structure.

How unread do you have to be to not realize that this is not a crutch, but an intentional literary device. The point is not to make the stories more believable, or to aid in the supsension of disbelief, but rather the opposite--to associate the unbelievable with the ordinary and mundane, to tell these stories in a natural way, as your neighbor might tell it to you. Do you think that the three or four newspaper stories in The Premature Burial were real articles that Poe was referencing, or that he actually thought Nordic waters had such phenomena? Poe enters into these stories in the same way Dostoevsky enters into his. Where Dostoevsky tells a story like it is spoken over a rural fencepost with a rustic detachment from fact that speaks nothing but sincerity, Poe writes in the manner of modern correspondence, imitating the false confidence that the new men of science brought to an obvious but unacknowledged ignorance about the true state of things.

op didn't imply any of that but thanks for playing faggot
just stating your point without putting words in someone's mouth wouldn't be very four chan now would it

classic example of why critics are shit and should be largely ignored.

Wasn't he fucking writing pot boilers deliberately trying to grab people's attention?

How can (you) not understand the abstract and impersonal you that refers to whoever OP is quoting and whoever might agree with them?

I did understand that and my post still holds
FAGGOT

You need a break. I mean that personally.

B U N D L E O F S T I C K S

You know precisely why you are unhappy, and it is entirely within your control to change. You could be happy, if only you would acknowledge you've been an arrogant fool.

no
u

This semester could finally be the one that is different. This semester, instead of being on Yea Forums, you could go to the library and actually study your own interests. This could be the year you read assignments ahead of time and thoughtfully engage with the professors during their office hours. Maybe it is this year that you study diligently during the day so that you have time to join the co-ed softball league and meet someone you will care about the rest of your life. You don't have to be here. You don't have to do this.

nice projection blog faggot

>Wasn't he fucking writing pot boilers deliberately trying to grab people's attention?

I don't know. Would you say this is "grabbing"?

>Once the neighbors break into the fourth story apartment (where the screams came from), they find the rooms totally destroyed. The body of resident Mademoiselle L'Espanaye is stuffed up the chimney with bruises on her neck. Also found are two sacks of cash with four thousand francs, and the corpse of the murdered girl's mother is lying on the rear stone courtyard. The bones on Madame L'Espanaye's right side are shattered and her neck has been cut so badly that her head falls off when the neighbors try to lift her body. They also discover that both the room's windows are sealed from the inside, the doors are locked, and there's no way for anyone to have escaped without being seen by the neighbors coming up the stairs.

Thank you. It's 70mm

lol I'm sure it is LOL

>not a factualist
>culture of empirical truth

congrats on finding the dumbest fucking critic possible. let us know what else you find in the dumpster

>How unread do you have to be to not realize that this is not a crutch, but an intentional literary device.

This, Poe is based.

I always thought Poe was based. Calling him a defensive writer feels like a brainlet take desu

I want to find who took this pic and wring their throat
why is everything about taking pictures of what you want people to think you enjoy instead of enjoying things

*in addition to
:)

>I want to find who took this pic and wring their throat

What if she's a cutie?

not the people I know
:)

I've had friends borrow a book of mine, post it to Instagram, then return it and when I try and talk to them about it it's clear they haven't read it. three separate times. I'm not even an autist that was quizzing them I mean normal discussion on a book we both read. they were all prototypical college kids.

suck my dick

Is this from how to read a book?

>Is this from how to read a book?

Nah. I got it from here:

Attached: source.jpg (1090x692, 89K)

why are you writing about why everything is taking pictures of what they want people to think they enjoy instead of just enjoying things?

because I want to find a gf that does something she likes that she can talk about.
when I go on dates it's always her asking questions about my interests, but when I ask about hers they're seemingly non-existent besides maybe where she works. probably partly to do with where I live, a party college town. either way, it's a source of dissatisfaction and frustration in my life and Yea Forums is where I write my diary entries for people I don't know to reply to, because I feel rude venting to people in real life especially when it's about the type of people they probably are.

>Idk why people don’t like Poe here though
They cannot ratiocinate.

>I want to find a gf that does something she likes that she can talk about.

Like trying to find a moon that emits its own light...

Attached: DW65LuHXcAAytte.jpg (1280x1270, 515K)

>both big brain and small brain
I think I have this condition

I woud say most horror stories include a man of science who scoffs at the supernatural so when he starts questioning things the reader gets scared

This is a painful feel I wish I didn't know.

Read Poe on Italians