Best dialogue writers of all time?

Best dialogue writers of all time?

Attached: pulpfiction.jpg (600x337, 21K)

Plato & Shakespeare
go ahead, be contrarian enough to disagree

>Shakespeare

OP here. Love him.

>Plato
By Zeus user, you are right!

Tarantino

Quentin Tarantino in our day and age. Reservoir Dogs and Inglorious Bastards to be exact.

the guy who writes the dialogues that take place inside my head.

David Mamet
William Goldman
Elmore Leonard
Paddy Chayefsky
Raymond Chandler

Fuck shakespeare, no one talks like that

>Inglorious Bastards

Inglorious is his worth film. He takes a deeply serious subject matter and make a fairy tale out of it. When all the world mostly creates nazi characters as simplistic monsters you expect that at least the most talented minds will not fall for it, and what does Tarantino do? The same fucking thing. And then h goes on and makes a sugarry tale of history as he wanted it to be instead of how it was. The guy takes a gold mine of deep topics and moral problems and transforms it into some sort of gilded greasy milkshake.

>Fuck shakespeare, no one talks like that

Nobody talks like Tarantino's characters, or like the characters of all the writers on this list:

The thing with Shakespeare is that he was the poet of all poets, and what most other writers couldonly hint at he could fully develop. When you now that you can go further and further and further with language you dont just stop. You keep moving untilyou end up writing the language that the Gods would speak if they existed.

But I must admit thatmost Shakesperean jokes wereterrible and have aged like vinegar.

Attached: 1553481852487.gif (270x270, 930K)

No one but Cervantes

William Gaddis, specifically JR, is often recommend here. It's all dialogue, without even attributions to differentiate speakers, but each voice is distinct enough to distinguish on its own.
I personally like Tolstoy's dialogue, particularly in P&V translations. Hemingway's short stories (though I've always found his longer works tiring because of his spare prose).

Sorkin's dialogue would be good if his characters weren't all quip-cracking carbon copies of each other. The Wire had some great dialogue. Most movies that were adapted from plays (or likewise, the plays themselves) have great dialogue: 12 Angry Men, Glengarry Glen Ross, Death of a Salesman.

Ordinary People is another good one that wasn't adapted from a play.

Doesn't matter. Art doesn't imitate reality. Art is its own reality. Shakespeare's dialogue is great because of how it differentiates the speakers so well. Compare Polonius's speech patterns to Hamlet's. Or Julius Caesar's to Cassius. I'd say the only issue is that his dialogue lacks subtext, but I think that's more of an artifact of his time period than anything else.

Hello, Reddit

Cormac McCarthy

t. doesn't understand theater

Actual fairytales were created out of serious matters

You could could not be more right, user

Based litizen

All you niggas need to post examples of what you call great dialogue

Attached: Nicki-Minaj-American-Idol.jpg (400x361, 22K)

Typical brainlet who doesn’t understand that the Waltz is parodying typical impressions of Nazis. Ever notice how it’s the Americans who are the brutal, sadistic and untrustworthy ones?

I know that Tarantino - who I admire, by the way, and counte as a very talented and inteligent artist - wants to make this statment, that this is the deep message, and yet I don't buy it. I think thi is what he says to himself.

Deep down, however, I really think that he grew up hating Nazis and thinking things like "I would love to be able to kill Hitler or see Hitler getting killed", and finally decided to act upon his fantasies and show the victims (who were notoriously fragile and scared throughout the war) becoming a kind of bad-boy superhero clan and slaying those "bad Nazis" (all characters with 2-D souls, by the way).

I would like to see him doing the same with the Israel war crimes against Palestine.

As for Bastards, I honestly think he let politics and personal beliefs cloud his gift for creating complex characters.

The real reason is simple and he's explained it in interviews. He wrote himself into a corner regarding Hitler so just decided to kill him. He slept on it and the next morning still thought it was a good idea.

He could have done far better. Instead he just end up with a crowd-pleasing story and a super-hero phony-tale to flatter his jewish friends. Serioulsy, the characters were created with the otherness, subtlety and empathy of a teenager.

Once again: I am not saying that Tarantino is a failure. I find him very talented. It only makes me sad that he missed the opportunity to do something really meaningful with such a good theme.

I really wish Shakespeare was alive so we could see what kind of historical plays he would have created with the theme of the rise and fall of Nazism.