Learning Philosophy

Hey Yea Forums! I want to learn philosophy on my own, tried to learn it with double major but could not allocate time for it. I started with the greeks, but it takes so much time, and i have no idea what to learn, read afterwards.Do i just open a book and read? I am not really comfortable with the lack of textbook materials. I am in need of a guide to follow. Is there any phil curriculum i can follow on the internet? Some kind of guide would be nice too.

Attached: socrates-9488126-1-402.jpg (1200x1200, 136K)

>search for a philosophers
>find out what the subjects of their theories are
>read books by them if said subject interests you

Read Copleston

Alcibiades First

this thread is now property of nazbol gang

Attached: soc.jpg (794x571, 58K)

You want advice on how to study? Read
>How To Read A Book
>Learning To Learn
Create your own system of learning from these.
Now, you want texts? Philosophical works?
Here is my personal guide.
>Laozi 601 bc - Tao Te Ching
>Various 580 bc - The First Phiosophers
>Confusius 551 bc - Analects
>Buddah 500 bc - Dhammapada
>Plato 429 bc - Works
>Aristotle 384 bc - Works
>Epicurus 341 bc - Essentials
>Seneca 4 bc - Letters From A Stoic
>Plutarch 46 ad - Lives, Moralia
>Epictetus 50 ad - Discourses
>Aruelius 121 ad - Meditations
>Plotinus 204 ad - Enneads
>Augustis 354 ad - Confessions, City Of God
>Proclus 412 ad - Elements Of Theology
>Thomas Aquinas 1225 - Summa Theologica
>Montaigne 1533 - Essays
>Hobbes 1588 - Leviathan
>Descartes 1596 - Philosophical Writings
>Locke 1632 - Two Treatises On Government
>Spinoza 1632 - Ethics
>Leibniz 1646 - Philosophical Essays
>Hume 1711 - Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
>Kant 1724 - Works
>Hegel 1770 - Works
>Schoppenhaur 1788 - Works
>Mill 1806 - Utilitarianism, On Libery
>Stirner 1806 - The Ego And It's Own
>Kierkegaard 1813 - Either Or
>Nietzsche 1844 - Works
>Whitehead 1861 - Process And Reality
>Russell 1872 - Problems Of Philosophy
>Guenon 1886 - Introduction To The Study Of Hindu Doctrines
>Pessoa 1888 - The Book Of Disquiet
>Wittgenstein 1889 - Philosophical Investigations
>Heidegger 1889 - Being And Time

That should be an adequate introduction.

Aristotle said you shouldn’t begin studying philosophy until you’re 30.

This is what you should get through if you wanna learn philosophy:
Logic
Metaphysics
Epistemology
Gnoseology
Axiology (Ethics and Aesthetics)
Anthropology
There's hundreds of books that cover these topics. Some university programs see this as a historical development that students ought to study starting with the Greeks and ending in the contemporary era, but there really is no need to start with Hesiod or Homer any more than you could jump straight into the works of early modern or even contemporary philosophers.
Even if you "start with the Greeks", you're not really starting with them because a) you're old enough to read, which means you've already been alive long enough to absorb tons of knowledge and influences from the world around you, and b) languages and culture had already existed for tens of thousands of years before the Akkadians, the Chinese, Greeks, or anybody else wrote their chronicles or stories down.
If you want to feel like you're gonna start to learn about philosophy through them, you could, but it might be possible that you might either misinterpret a few details in stuff, even from a period not too distant from your own.
Therefore, pick up whatever and read.

/Thread

Attached: 71GbSW6EYeL.jpg (1280x772, 153K)

It's important to start with the Greeks and work your way up because you can't understand modern philosophy without understanding where it came from and why it came.

This. Copleston has amazing clarity and can word things concisely without being reductionist.

What does Copleston count as Russian philosophers? Dostoevsky? The Russian Schellingeans? Marxist-Leninists?
Even if one wanted to begin with "the Greeks" for the sake of studying philosophy, where would one begin? The Iliad? The Pre-Socratic fragments? Plato's early dialogues?
Would one have to read all of the Greeks all the way from Thales to Proclus or only Plato and Aristotle for the sake of understanding Kant's Critique of Pure Reason or Heidegger's Being and Time?
Instead of dogmatically accepting the "Greeks to present times" historical narrative at face value, or out of respect for "tradition", why don't we attempt to philosophically speculate on what it means to study philosophy. Is it merely reading the works of long deceased thinkers discussing topics like ideas, moral duty, the existence of beings vs processes, and the reliability of sense-perception, or is it to attempt to unsettle one's mind from its convictions and let it wander in search for truth? Through studying philosophy, does one attempt to reach for intersubjective or objective truth? If it is objective, then any person ought to be able to know it, regardless of their access to a certain piece of information put into one book. If there is no truth except for intersubjectivity, then even the value of philosophers' works themselves are practically rendered down to who can convince the most people.
Finally, does one need to use the same terminology as popular philosophers did in order to discuss philosophical topics, or may one adopt any possible style of speaking?

look at that baby nose! imagine him without the beard lol

>pessoa, 1888
Yikes

thanks anons! I had a bothersome list that would take a lifetime to finish. Your insight were really some mind-openers.

Honestly this sounds a lot like Nietzsche's arguments against Platon's pious search for truth and this being a relay race. I thinks terminology and knowledge of literary works is much needed for relevancy. You making this statement and asking these questions all have some relation with your knowledge in philosophy studies of old, you being a contestant in this relay race.

I never take people seriously when they recommend THE ENTIRE FUCKING SUMMA! Like, it's like telling a none English speaker to memorize the dictionary in order to learn English.

Tell him to swallow semen.

If you move your eyes around pages and skim through it quickly enough, you can pretend to read it all in less than 2 hours.

>I thinks
Maybe you should learn about English grammar before trying beat the final boss of writing, which is philosophy.

me thinks you are a dumbo user
yes, my native language is not english but that was a mere typo. I believe i am skilled enough to understand what i read. But hey! I hope you had your fun.

Terminology definitely matters because if you can't define terms you can't debate. And to say that the aim of philosophy is objective truth is to bolster the claim that it is necessary to read the Greeks to moderns. If you start with all the presuppositions of the moderns and dabble here and there you will not have a holistic understanding of the different strains of philosophy throughout the years. If you do not understand Paradigm X that birthed Paradigm Y you will not truly understand Paradigm Y, but only through the erratic paradigmatic lense that you have cultivated by gaining understanding outside of its proper context.

>Pessoa 1888 - The Book Of Disquiet
>Wittgenstein 1889 - Philosophical Investigations
>Heidegger 1889 - Being And Time
What happened here

I think you have forgotten to cut down the line between the history of philosophy and philosophy itself. If you were to try to talk about philosophy to somebody who happened to be interested in one topic that has been covered in philosophical works (like how the human mind works or how signs are arbitrarily defined), would you immediately refer to them to one work which happens to cover this topic, or would you try to jump straight into discussion by trying to explain your position on the matter, and seeing what the person in front of you might have to say about it?
I believe that you must realize that the discussion of philosophical topics can pop up in all sorts of different scenes, places, contexts (it could be in a party just as much as it could be in a classroom or even a courtroom), and not in every place may one attempt to simply cite the works of a famous philosopher and appeal to their historical significance, nor may one assume that others will understand the kind of vocabulary used in academic discussions of philosophy.
If you don't plan on discussing philosophy in public, that's fine by me, but I feel like it's a bit of a waste to not discuss something that one may happen to have a somewhat uncommon point of view on.

Read Anthony Kenny.

Attached: 9780199589883.jpg (364x550, 37K)

Attached: 1566326057011.jpg (540x562, 78K)