I'm a United States citizen and one of my best friends is an illegal immigrant from Mexico. We work together...

I'm a United States citizen and one of my best friends is an illegal immigrant from Mexico. We work together, i read at work a lot, he's noticed this and he's asked me which book I've read is my favorite and what i would recommend to him. I told him that i was thinking about getting a Spanish language version of Don Quixote for him for his birthday and he told be that he'd prefer the English edition because he's trying to improve his English skills. I could lend him my copy of DQ, but i think that it might be a bit much for him. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what books i could buy for him or do you think i should just toss him into the deep end and lend him my copy of DQ?

Attached: th251619W4.jpg (474x721, 37K)

is of of mixed spanish-amerindian descent? i doubt he’d be capable of appreciating fine literature

Don't get him DQ in English OP. Give him a book written originally in English that you love, maybe without the most complex English or literary structure, something that you think he'd enjoy and that you two could converse and bond over.

Pretty much

Attached: Alfons8Kastilie.jpg (147x460, 44K)

He's intelligent.
I believe that all of the books I have on hand are too advanced for him. I just want an English language book that a relatively well-spoken, but poorly-read Mexican immigrant would really enjoy as a gift.

Fine. I'm lending him Blood Meridian.

what are you a retard?

I just said don't give him a complicated English language book. The language in Blood Meridian is difficult for even an advanced native speaker. Fucking it dial it back, dog

>He’s intelligent
>Don Quixote is too advanced for him
>Fine. I'm lending him Blood Meridian
lmao at clueless op

I can't think of a good, easy book to lend him. Fuck yous guys :(

Try lending him some short stories first

this, anything under 5’11” can qualify as a short story

Holy shit, I'm an idiot. What about pic related? I think he'll love these.

Attached: vlad nab .jpg (1556x2400, 459K)

>he thinks some nacho cheese smelling beaner is going to be able to appreciate nabokov
lel, k give him the book and we’ll see how it goes i guess

you're cruel

If you're too stressed just give me his name and address, I'll call ICE and you won't have to worry about getting him anything

> Catcher in the Rye
> Great Gatsby
> On the Road

Literally the first "serious" books I read in English as a non native speaker, all good options.

I think those are the kind of books that burgerlanders usually don't even think about because you read it at school, but that's not true for other countries.

I've given Slaughterhouse Five as a gift more than once as well to people that wanted to start reading books in the original English as it's one of my favourite books and I feel it's kinda easy as well.

The Old Man and the Sea is another good and short one I can think of.

Also this. Salinger or Munro are good options too.

Don't do him the disfavor of giving him a translated DQ copy when he knows Spanish though lmao.

Get him a copy of Ulysses, if he is unable to read it and understand it perfectly then he doesn't have the required language level to be an American, so feel free to report him to ICE

What's your name and your address?

life is cruel sweety, you’re going to have to face these truths one day—these people are not like you. they don’t understand western civilization. they can’t appreciate your art, your literature. but by all means lend him your nabokov. it will be interesting to see if he makes it past the first story before returning it to you

Very solid post. Thanks, fren. /thread

leave your house some time

100 years of Solitude would be a better starting point. If he's an illegal immigrant, chances are he is from a small town. All the magical realism of 100Y is very reminiscent of your typical small town Mexican folklore. He will relate.

What are you without racism? Do you still like yourself, without the white adjective?

I'll check it out. Thank you.

I'm asian, nice try though.

wow. one post in and /pol/ shits its nappy

Give him a copy of Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat. Not only is it a bit of cheeky banter, but it's legitimately one of Steinbeck's strongest and funniest works - definitely one of the funniest books of all time, in my own opinion.

Gross

Attached: 1519369635787.png (1584x864, 63K)

Some Steinbeck.
NOOOOO BRADU PITTU I'M A FELLOW WESTERNER TOO STOP

Raymond Carver's Cathedral

why has this become copy-pasta?

Glad to see that mentioned, some of the dialogue is just hilarious and so understated between the buddies

Get the Chicano some Steinbeck or Hemingway.

Attached: asian masculinity.webm (1280x720, 2.62M)

Tell him to just read the first few stories of DQ.

How does it feel knowing you will never be reproduce and even if you manage to manipulate a woman into letting you use her womb, your child and your disgusting race will go extinct before you amount to anything useful?

Didn't you ask this question a few months a go?
Fuck off.

I'm Mexican and I've been posting on Yea Forums since about four years now. We're literally part of Western literature whether you like it or not.

Most of America would be deported if this was the required measurement lmao