Has anyone on this board actually read all of these shitty high school–core books?

Has anyone on this board actually read all of these shitty high school–core books?

Attached: 1365475090228.jpg (747x1417, 418K)

nah i haven't

yeah i read lord of the flies once

I read Ulysses in tenth grade to impress a cute English teacher, but she had no idea what it was :(

read 1984 in 6th grade and liked it
read lord of the flies in 10th grade and liked it
was forced to read of mice and men in 11th grade and hated it
want to read lolita
have fahrenheit 451 on my shelf but will probably never read it

Read:
BNW
Mockingbird - 8th grade
1984 - 11th grade
Catcher - 10th
451 - 8th
Invisible man - 12th
Fear and loathing
Of mice and men - recently actually
DorianGrey - 11th
Lolita
Lord of flies - 9th
Do andoids
Siddartha
Clockwork - 9th (but saw movie before that)

Most of them are good, accessible books which is why theyre taught in highschool. They have enough for the smart kids to think about and analyze, but their premise and prose is simple and engaging enough to appeal to most kids.
If you believe that a book is not good because a highschooler can understand it, youre reading out of vanity, not genuine desire to learn/improve/entertain yourself

>If you believe that a book is not good because a highschooler can understand it, youre reading out of vanity
Prove it. Oh wait, you're full of shit.

Hesse is the best one on there. Siddartha is kino.

My score: 8.5. I once owned a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as a child, but I only got about halfway through. I became so bored with what I was reading that I simply stopped. I wasn't feeling any sort of emotion with regard to the prose style or plot. I was simply bored. So, I quit.

It's difficult to receive a diploma from a decent American high school without having read at least two or three of these, OP.

OP literally called them high school–core in his single sentence OP

Clockwork orange isn’t high school core

High school english teachers, based on personal experience, are all pretty much defined by their being just a little too into Harry Potter and sticking mostly to modern fiction / YA novels as far as their literary consumption goes. I had one guy who taught me who was pretty into Shakespeare and Homer as a general rule they work well with 15 year olds because that's what they read like.
I still remember when I was in 12th grade I had an old english teacher from previous years approach me in the library to ask what I was reading, I think it was the Gambler or Notes or some other short Dostoevsky book (pretty standard 'I'm 17 and think I'm smart-core I think) and they straight up hadn't heard of him. It wasn't that they'd not read him, they did not know who the man was, period.
I never had any educators with a strong interest in literature until I got to college, that's usually where you find people with an actual passion or considerable breadth of knowledge in their field.

I have read 12 of those.

Why cant a good book appeal to a more general audience? Im not saying all books are good or that inaccessible books are bad. I think there are books that can be a meanginful read to highschoolers as well as learned, well-read adults (perhaps in different ways)

user is making a statement, you're the one who should disprove it.

my english teacher had a big tattoo of a fly on her back and while teaching us a christina rossetti poem with the line
>Oh vanity of vanities, desire!
she didn't know that "vanity" meant a worthless thing and was a reference to ecclesiastes. she thought it meant being vain about one's appearance

>I have a friend here who's invisible. Prove me wrong.
Based retard.

>false equivalence
Based retard.

Attached: tenor (2).gif (480x238, 1.2M)

Yes, he did. I'd noticed that when I composed the earlier post. The reason why you haven't added anything of value with your observation, is because the OP functions primarily as a derisive invitation to count off one's read "high school" books from the list, and secondarily as the (usually true) banality that high school literature sucks.

That is, the OP's scorn is partially unwarranted in the sense that "at least a few" of these books are culturally mandatory, which was the substance of my observation. It's just some unpleasant thing that you had to do in school, once. Ironically, if you actually did it (read the book), then you become able to dismiss the book itself from an informed position, which has value in-itself.

i'm getting a strange sense of deja vu here

Haven't read a single one of these
Why do westoids think that everyone on the planet reads books from their literary tradition?

Yes, it is. My father was in high school in the late 1960s and it was being read in (at least one) American high school classroom, even then.

I should ask him whether he was in the class/actually read it himself, he proudly states that he hasn't read any fiction for decades - despite having written one (unpublished) novel, a (published) children's book, and other variously published-or-not non-fiction projects, one of whcih is currently in development hell and probably won't go anywhere. But he has made very clear that Clockwork Orange was being taught in classes in his high school, I know that much. It was a big deal, very cutting-edgy at the time. The timing of this would necessarily have been just before/right around the same time the movie dropped (1971, dad b. 1952 and didn't skip/get held back any grades AFAIK).

On the exact contrary. You should consider the language being used here, and the native cultures of this website, its international character notwithstanding.

I don't go on predominantly Chinese web forums and get indignant at the presumption that the addressees probably read at least a little Confucius at some point.