If this faggot was so smart, why did he kill himself?

If this faggot was so smart, why did he kill himself?

Attached: serveimage (2).png (1058x1410, 1.99M)

...a lot of smart people do. You could argue that life preservation is an intrinsically intelligent pursuit, but others could argue that alleviating suffering the genuinely intelligent pursuit.

He was a mathematician misusing his rather dull but prodigious intellect on bad faith literature when he should have stayed in mathematics. Misdirected will.

according to Friedrich Nietzsche rational suicide will be one of the defining features of an authentically post-Christian European civilization

>be on antidepressant
>depression cured
>get stomach problems
>doctor thinks it's the antidepressant
>says to go off it
>DFW goes off it
>immediately suicides

this is the story, right?

Wasn't depressed. He had money and a good life. Real depression comes from having nothing. No house. No car. No money. No job. No family. No friends. NOTHING. DFW had all of theses things. His depression was purely psychosomatic.

t. poorfag

>depression was purely psychosomatic
classic

>He was a mathematician
lol he wished

>No house. No car. No money. No job. No family. No friends. NOTHING
Freedom.

If DFW was poor, he wouldn't have made it a day.

Not freedom if you're starving and stressing about trying to survive and having to abandon all of your dreams.

Call no man happy till he dies

why did he dress like that?

He believed it was more “sincere” and “authentic”

You don’t know what you’re talking about do you?

Blessed are the dead that the rain falls on.

You don't know what real suffering is do you?

I feel you're so smart, why haven't you killed yourself yet?

you must become like a child to enter the kingdom of heaven

basedboys are the ideal christian

I unironically believe this to be true

why don't you read IJ and find the answer actually written by the guy himself?
>"The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."
F

>Why does he sits like that

It’s not that you don’t have, well off children can be depressed, why? Why you ask Monsieur?, ok, so, Independent thought and independent action are two things which propel man to freedom, earning something places within actual belief and confidence, you cannot acquire confidence any other way, it comes through working, then attain, this achievement within, self complete. Sure man is sad because he doesn’t have, it’s because man compares himself to someone else and inwardly judges himself, in reality, man dies and takes nothing to the grave with him, so why bother care or compare, we all walk with death, that’s enough to propel my Saul at least to "live" but what is that called living, you have the foolish man who goes by the way of the world, "you need to have friends, this and that and this and that" t"o truely live and be happy". I’ll say this. All the powerful authors you read in or out of high school, whoever it may be, were reclusive beings.

if i took off the doo rag would he die

Holy shit I didn't know that, what's the paper he wrote

Now this is a pseud post.

He hung himself with the doorag

is that actually his writing? terrible

Man, that's actually pretty based.
I guess I should read IJ

kekd aloud

Read it carefully.

He went back on it before killing himself

Those sort of drugs often have strong side effects when you just start taking them, takes a while to become "normal".

This. Also the effect can be different after stopping it

I went into med school and am training in psychiatry to save the next DFW

>he majored in English and philosophy and graduated summa cum laude in 1985.
>In studying philosophy, Wallace pursued modal logic and mathematics, and presented a senior thesis in philosophy and modal logic
user, I should say that this is quite a bit different than mathematics that wikipedia confused.
Mathematical logic is itself a minor field to mathematics. More importantly, modal logic is really not a math field. It is mostly philosophy field of logic. Math field of logic is something like model theory, proof theory, or some Intuitionistic logic helping algebraic geometry.
I know this is just Themoreyouknow.jpg, but you shouldn't say he should have stayed in mathematics neither.

are you trying to troll into killing myself or did the mighty friedrich really say that?

he said it in Human all too Human. Why would you kill yourself, though? Depression would be suicide from passion, not a reasonable suicide. He meant once you basically have accomplished all you need to in life and you’re getting older there isn’t a point in holding on like a miser. That would be a rational suicide.

Nah, modal logic is somewhat popular with CS ressearchers. It can be done in a math-y way

Why do you think it can't be both?

How does this relate to the Will to Power? Is it that a body cannot effectively expend energy at a certain point?

>time to kill myself because dead white man said so

Pardon my lack of precision, but as a child DFW was slated to be a math prodigy. He had a mind intended for mathematics and not really intended for literature. This is why he overwrote and completely lacked poetry. Had he fully applied himself to studying math at university, he'd have been justbas unhappy perhaps but more in his element.

>Will to Power?
MANY die too late, and some die too early. Yet strange sounds the precept: "Die at the right time! [...] But equally hateful to vanquished and victor, is the grinning death which steals nigh like a thief,- and yet comes as master. My death I praise to you, the voluntary death, which comes to me because I want it.

Sucked at tennis

forgot to take his meds

it was all tennis.

thats not how depression works

the fat faggot harold bloom compeltely devoid of literary talent made him do it. those who can't do it become critiques faggots them all.
fuck the old cocksucker i say

it was a different time

something about his depression meds

he sucked at rapping

the guy from stargate wrote books?

Attached: 414ZCJ-fDDL._SX385_.jpg (385x485, 21K)

Attached: ddd.jpg (199x253, 6K)

*raping

Probably because people like you called him the f word?

nah he was actually good at that

nah he was pretty good at that

nah he was decent at that

Didn't the only piece of fiction he write get completely eviscerated by basically anyone and everyone? I forgot what it was called; some Gnostic Jewish revisionism I'm sure.

Pretty sure the dude had some serious issues

Great writer though

nah he was etc etc

Who has ever said "well, this is enough for me" though? It's human nature to always strive for more

your meme, it's mine now

It actually is.

try being old

You’re going to be really fucked when you attain all that and are still depressed. Look inside yourself to find happiness. Buddhism isn’t bullshit.

Everything changed for me whenever I had money and things got better. So you're wrong.

He killed himself because it was the only way to become God.

was thinking this for way too long, when his pictures were posted

Attached: images.jpg (220x150, 7K)

Nah. Material good doesn't necessarily bring happiness.

Everybody in this thread is entirely wrong and making it into a bigger thing than it was. He had been on the same antidepressant since the 80s but he discontinued it because it was an older class of medication with a more serious risk profile than newer ones. When he went off it he had a severe remission in depression that other medications and electroconvulsive therapy couldn’t fix. If anything its a cautionary tale of how being on an MAOI for 20+ years can make a brain pretty damn dependent on it.

Honestly it kind of is. We like to act like the majority of people with depression just naturally have some deficit in their brain but the majority of people who could be diagnosed with depression just have shitty lives.

Then explain why it also happens with rich people like Wallace.

I said the majority. It’s still possible to be depressed if you have a “good” life, I just don’t like it when people turn it into this ineffable thing that only really brilliant but misunderstood people have. People think about DFW types when they talk about depression, but nobody mentions the middle age diabetic working a dead end job who has been divorced twice.

I think you're confusing "depression" (a mood) with major depressive disorder (MDD), which is also commonly known as depression, Moods=/=mental disorders

The two are interconnected. I actually know a great deal about this subject and I kind of feel like my posts arent really capturing my whole opinion because Im typing really quickly since my girlfriend is about to come over so I can break up with her. Sorry

>The two are interconnected.
The depressive mood manifests in MDD, true. But MDD is much more than that.

What counts as MDD is actually incredibly vague and has polarizing symptoms.

unbridled bipolar disorder and substance abuse

like kurt cobain he produced timeless works or art only to burn out and leave the world young

w2c those shoes

>psychosomatic
all emotions are in your head. those without the best of things make the best of things.

Maybe his butt hurts

(You)

I personally think that Valdimir Nabokov was a much better writer. Controversial, I know, but I still believe it. Fight me.

frugal

Basically if you've never contemplated suicide you're not that smart
And this really highlights one of the most hilarious and absurd truths about the world which is that the more intelligent a creature becomes the more destructive it becomes to itself

THIICCCC FUCK

Lol say this once again when you can’t even shit on your own.

Plus human nature is shit. Follow your nature and be miserable.

But that's not you saying "I have done everything I wanted to do in this world", it's just you saying "I want out because I'm suffering". I thought what Nietzsche said was the first, not the second

>bad faith literature
very curious why so many people say this about his writing. what's bad faith about it?

He was going bald.

Being poor usually switches people into survival mode, which is a great way to stave off suicide.

Maybe he had cancer?

Psychiatry is a business, which makes people worse.

>like kurt cobain

Attached: 1507035047508.jpg (1170x742, 70K)

Math in IJ is quite retarded.

That's what my dad said.

Congratulations. You officially have it worse than everybody else. What are you going to do now? Die like a dog in the streets?

kek

I help out other people in bad shape.

>controversial

Best guess, meds coupled w/ mid life crisis

Did "DFW" have 'big dick energy'?

>tfw going bald too

Attached: 1563994468420s.jpg (104x125, 2K)

If others can't feel bad because you have it worse, does that mean you're not allowed to be happy because others have it better?

Actually this interestingly enough. Depression seems generally less prevalent in working class communities because their immediate needs are a lot more material. Once most people have attained these material things, their thoughts turn to their more abstract, immaterial needs and the inability to fulfil these is generally what seems to cause depression.

suicide is the final redpill
""""enlightenment""" brings only ruin

This

literally who