For these reasons...

>For these reasons, I am becoming convinced that the only real way to "personal growth" outside of direct action is through careful study of fiction. Of course stories may have an intended meaning, but a well written story allows you to ask not just "what does the story mean?" but "why do I think that this is what the story means?" As in The Second Story Of Echo And Narcissus: "The story is the pool... what do you see in it? It's a reflection and a projection..." (3)
Was he right?

Attached: flag (1).jpg (179x176, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/08/just_because_you_see_it_doesnt.html
mega.nz/#!jThGCQ4C!cA9PkNXd139CHL1y4dyvNAtAE2ij6E26r-z14UBmj54
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What/who is The Last Psychiatrist?

What do you mean

It's a shame he stopped.

I thought he kept going under a new name? Hotel Concierge or something

Is he dead?

No. The Last Psychiatrist would expound on topics that appear to mean something but don't really. He was a typical magazine journalist but with psych credentials, peddling all-pervasive narcissism as The Problem. Other eras and better intellectuals already tried this with neurosis, schizophrenia, etc. He was a proto Jordan Peterson now being rediscovered by those slightly too bright for Peterson.

That's a different blogger

It should go without saying that this is why Christians and Jews still study scripture--there's transformative value in the proper understanding of a sufficiently powerful narrative. Personal learning cannot be divorced from experience, cannot be done purely in the abstract; you must either learn from your own experiences or those of others (possibly fictional).
TLP's narcissism isn't a psychiatric problem in the same way as schizophrenia and the like, though (although anything is a psychiatric problem if you define psychiatry broadly enough). It's more comparable to DFW's irony and Zizek's ideology.

>It's more comparable to DFW's irony and Zizek's ideology
kek, so “muh everything bad is X, if you just stop X then no more bad!”

Attached: B13AE17F-D838-4DC8-80B5-D0C12F49AFEE.gif (268x334, 2.05M)

No, there's quite a bit more to it that makes these comparisons meaningful. TLP's narcissism and DFW's irony are both dissociative--one says, "I may be a barista on the outside but I'm an artist on the inside" or similar. In this self-negation, one has an idealized self-image one wishes to project to others (the narcissistic identity/ironic persona) via negation of the outward immediate image. Irony is the narcissist's air and breath. With Zizek the connection is not as strong, but he also recognizes that ideology is that which denies that it is ideology, that is, it participates in this same sort of self-negation. "I'm straight, but I'm an ally." Narcissism in different words.
I myself prefer the term self-negation to narcissism, irony, or ideology. One can hardly deny that these three share a similar phenomenology.

schizo ramblings that have nothing to do with the real world. twitter-tier “hot take” philosophy

Freudians peddled neurosis where Mesmer peddled animal magnetism. Laing chose the schizoid position. D&G wielded schizophrenia. All of these as the shared cultural psychological state of their times, some of these states as liberating yet maladaptive, sometimes as desirable but ultimately inescapable. TLP similarly carts out narcissism as the shared state of late capitalism, the inescapable state, and his solution is to recommend a mere "healthy narcissism," a modified narcissism. Zizek's ideology or DFW's irony to TLP's (properly belonging more to the work of Kearney or Kohut) narcissism could just as well parallel D&G's schizoanalysis or Laing's anti psychiatry to Freudian/Jungian neurosis/psychosis. They all recommend a mere rechanneling, a calibration of the inescapable urge of their times. The imperative to be schizophrenic on purpose in controlled ways evinced in LSD culture or post structuralism becomes the imperative to actualize our desires as responsibilities under TLP. It's all futile adaptation to sick and sick-making culture that will only cycle into another trend soon enough.

This is a good reply, thanks for writing it. While the diagnoses or description of the problems TLP or other thinkers make may have some value, I agree completely that their prescriptions are worthless.

Its actually quite erudite. I haven't read DFW but I completely agree with ideology and schizophrenia pointing to the same topic and that Zizek practices self-negation.

don't care for all the name dropping mumbo gumbo hippie dippie fag Communist academic bull shit but I'm glad I read this comment to the end.

Attached: drake.png (599x566, 663K)

>The imperative to be schizophrenic on purpose
No.

Attached: file.png (1045x760, 186K)

>D&G's schizoanalysis
>Laing's anti psychiatry
>Freudian/Jungian neurosis/psychosis
>They all recommend a mere rechanneling, a calibration of the inescapable urge of their times.

Theres a difference. They did write a whole book about Freud after all. I'm not sure what you think schizoanalysis is.

Attached: file.png (740x815, 264K)

>rechanneling
hmm its almost as if Nietzsche wrote a whole fucking book about sublimating the inescapable elements of ones psyche into greater tasks. All these niggas are just ripping off the paragraph about Goethe in twilight of the idols.

TLPs analysis is excellent in describing the position we are born into and dissecting it. The question remains: now what?

Attached: DtH0kQzWoAA2fa7.png (695x496, 288K)

Literally no one has ever been able to answer "now what". As if the last 2000 years of human experience hasn't made it plain enough for you, we're very good at discerning our problems and incredibly shit at solving them. Things just happen.

Become Orthodox Christian obviously

Schizoanalysis, to those of us who have little respect for it, is more or less intentionally deployed, controlled elements of schizophrenic semiotics (rhizomatics, machinic consciousness, gender reconfiguring all connect to psychotic modes of thought now mainstreamed). That's why I grouped D&G as a protest era trend in there with LSD. Of course there was a pure exploratory intent of the philosophers, drug synthesizers, and intel agencies who promoted these trends, which you seem to respect. Separately, there's the actual outcome and efficacy of that cultural moment (from a kind of Adam Curtis view), which was the proliferation of schizophrenic-like ideas in academia and art for at least a decade thereafter. The cure reified the malady. In The Last Psychiatrist's work, I see a potential repeat of this problem of promoting what one seeks to treat, but this time it's narcissistic analysis with achievement/enjoyment as the prescription. The academic psych field is rife with intellectual contagion. Invent a concept or cure and sell it to the dissatisfied. Then diagnose them with it and sell them the cure. Btw, I'm an actual schizoid diagnosed, so please excuse the shoddy language and vague ideas.

>which you seem to respect.
I haven't even given an opinion I just don't think you have read Deleuze and your claims are baseless.

Attached: file.png (1031x672, 148K)

>(from a kind of Adam Curtis view), which was the proliferation of schizophrenic-like ideas in academia
like this is pretty much the exact diagnosis D&G gave as the problem with late capitalist culture I don't know how you read that as them encouraging it.

>muh narcissism

Sauce on OP's quote:
thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/08/just_because_you_see_it_doesnt.html

Reminds me of Jordan Peterson X Roosh fanfiction.

Do people take this seriously?

What did you want it to remind you of, user?

Roosh is based now, user.

>So the men who do ask her out, the ones she ends up dating-- fearless, calf tattooed men who make their attraction to her explicit, even vulgar, so she can't help but know that they want her and what they want from her. Meanwhile, these guys then treat her like crap.

>larping as a psychologist online to complain about girls

Some actual critique of modern psychology that would merit comparison to the other authors mentioned in this thread.

last psychiatrist is awful, don’t waste your time, i can summarize it in a single greentext
>muh everything is narcissism

Have you newfags seriously never read TLP before?

Attached: file.png (225x225, 85K)

>Taking points out of context without trying to hide it
>fully expecting a blog to have as much impact as the psychoanalytical canon

2/10, it's bedtime for you buckaroo

>muh read all 12 rules for life and clean your room before you post

lmao it even attracts the same children

No amount of your cherry picking his disavowals of romanticizing madness will erase his legacy of perpetuating psychotic ideas like rhizomatics and BWO. He was a worse influence yet than Lacan on the psych field with weak political platitudes standing in for clinical solutions, all this providing yet another distraction from serious medical inquiry, which Guattari could have facilitated. Outside of the clinic, in metaphysics, sure, Deleuze is genius.

Very poor TLP thread. They're usually more interesting than this.

Who has actually carried out Nietzsche's will to power? Many claim it but die trying. Even Nietzsche failed at his own system. It's rah rah cheerleading yea to life stuff. Even cultist Jung achieved much greater influence by repackaging Nietzsche + gnosticism as alchemy. So maybe dull milquetoast Peterson with his Nietzsche+Jung is a better intellectual than anecdote-happy TLP after all. Maybe the answer is in myth as larger than the ego, indifferent to it, rather than TLP's mirror world Kohutian ego psychology of "why do I think this is what the story means?" Meaning is the utility of the concept of the collective unconscious. D&G or TLP diagnose the collective unconscious of their own historic moment, but Jung urges you to the supratemporal. Jung had already encouraged the spiritual sublimation of psychosis where D&G would later suggest political sublimation. The political is not a stable enough foundation for deep psychological healing, and leftist revolutionaries prove that. Neither is TLP's suggestion of the study of fiction as one of the only legitimate avenues to personal growth any more conducive to real healing of severe pathology like narcissism. Politics and literature are not appropriate cures for illness and are not even particularly great sources of identity. Spirit, the cultivation of a soul, the loving connection of humble being with others without the need for political or artistic excuses, that's being human.

That's the only reason he's vaguely popular. He's a little edgy and sexy.

TLP helped get me through a difficult moment in a way that I think Peterson does for many others. I have a feeling that TLP is a better influence (maybe because Peterson is running an actual scam) but I can't explain it well so maybe they are the same. I still think about TLP's story of Narcissus and how navel gazing can lead to stunted development.

While TLP was a devoted libertarian he actually got me into communism with his series Hipsters on Foodstamps. Someone in his comments posted The War Nerd which is where I found John Dolan whose book recommendations got me into actually good literature.

The confessional is probably not common in these threads but I can say that before discovering TLP I was a pothead 21 year old former athlete, college drop out, and chronic masturbator who lived at home with his autistic mother and bipolar father and couldn't get a date nor make new friends. After, I developed a work ethic, taught myself maths from algebra to calculus (I was a retard), got an engineering degree, realized I have a passion for research, made great friends, managed to have a few girlfriends that I am still close to after breaking up, and now I have a decent job that will make me great connections in the field.

Good post. I would agree with you mostly. D&G and TLPs answers are essentially cop outs as politics are bunk and reading books helps but doesnt change anything, as change is directly induced through action. The closest whos come to the Nietzschean will to power must be Goethe, of course, but even he didn't pull it off. A more recent example is Mishima with his "life as poetry" and his creation of a value system surrounding beauty, but he failed spectacularly in that he never truly sublimated his nihilism. Though I haven't properly read Jung yet I absolutely agree that the cultivation of friendship and spirit is paramount to man, but I would say those things precisely return to the will to power. Friendship and family are manners in which ones power might grow, and not in any retarded political/artistic sense but in the sense that ones capacity as human being, ones potential, grows. You can almost measure this growth by how often you find yourself daydreaming and fantasizing. Such things are the expression of a frustrated will - a will that wishes to leave from this earth, a No saying will. To return to the earth and become a human being again requires more power. While Nietzsche saw the ultimate expression of power in creativity, power is manifold and comes from a multitude of sources, and it is ultimately this acquisition of power that leads to psychological health, in my opinion.

>The confessional is probably not common in these threads but I can say that before discovering TLP I was a pothead 21 year old former athlete, college drop out, and chronic masturbator who lived at home with his autistic mother and bipolar father and couldn't get a date nor make new friends. After, I developed a work ethic, taught myself maths from algebra to calculus (I was a retard), got an engineering degree, realized I have a passion for research, made great friends, managed to have a few girlfriends that I am still close to after breaking up, and now I have a decent job that will make me great connections in the field.

Thank you for sharing this testimony. I'm going to reread as much of TLP as possible and reasses my former dismissal. Previously, his semi-shock jock tone and pop culture examples did not speak to my position of schizoid asociality. His social media age commentator style even seemed like a repellent clickbait gimmick. He sounded too aggressively narcissistic for someone so determined to call out narcissism. Perhaps TLP is the rare thinker who is both practical and fun to read on society-as-it-is with the goal of compromise and isn't as smarmy or oversocialized as his simulated narc speak sounds to a more socially apathetic reader like me.

He almost definitely drank himself to death.
The website hosting is set to expire at the end of 2019, so if nobody renews it, we'll find out.

Laschian (Christian) "hope" that we return to some kind of magical American populist( in the original sense of the word) utopia where everyone is small farmer (think citizen in Ancient Greece) and their interests are the family and common good.

Nah, Ballas is still alive.

How would you know that?

there is a psychiatrist by that name that has an active PA State Medical License

I thought I remembered looking it up and seeing that they last several years, though. Long enough that he could have last renewed it around the time he disappeared. Am I wrong?

Threadly reminder that you should download the archive (1.41 GB)
mega.nz/#!jThGCQ4C!cA9PkNXd139CHL1y4dyvNAtAE2ij6E26r-z14UBmj54

If we grant TLP this, which fictitious works best fit that bill?

TLP said (can't dig up the quote) to start with anything old. The classics, you know. Alone started with the Greeks.

i wonder if he ever finished that book

Damn. How did he inspire such a drastic change?

TLP's audience reads blogs. Peterson's audience watches talking heads on YouTube.

That alone is like a full standard-deviation difference in IQ.

Based

so true

why I only read fiction. same reason Jesus spoke in parables. everyone knows nonfiction writers are simply too stupid to relay their message via story