James Joyce's Ulysses

Give me a quick rundown of Ulysses, please

Attached: ulysses.jpg (761x1169, 410K)

What I got so far is that it takes place in Ireland and references mythology a lot.

Attached: scritch lich.jpg (572x303, 123K)

Joyce names the cause of England's ills

do your own homework

Attached: lines.jpg (256x256, 3K)

> the cause of England's ills
And what are they?
> do your own homework
What are you talking about? School hasn't even started

>england

an austute reading good sir

It’s about a guy who wanders around Dublin. His story mirrors the story of Homer’s Odysseus in many ways. It’s also a modernist novel, playing around with different elements of craft like style, formatting, narration, and structure. James Joyce was a brilliant and well-studied man, so seeing the world crammed into Dublin from his eyes is quite interesting and is what piqued my interest. I tried to read it after having read his previous work, a novel, titled A Portrait of the Artist as A Young Man, and a short story collection, titled Dubliners. I failed after about 170 or something pages because I just wasn’t tracking with the story after a while or understanding what was going on. About a year later after having grown a bit, rereading his previous work and also reading Homer’s Odyssey for the first time, I tried again and found it much more comprehensible. It’s a wonderful book.

>playing around with different elements of craft like style, formatting, narration, and structure
Give examples, please. I would love to read more about this
> the world crammed into Dublin
What do you mean by this?

Attached: happy pepe.png (806x585, 304K)

>the world crammed into Dublin
I mean that Joyce fits so much of the human experience as I have felt it, into one town.
>examples
The last chapters is famous. It’s 50+ pages and is nearly one long sentence. I think it’s actually broken up into a handful, but they go on for pages. It follows the stream of consciousness of one of the main characters at a pivotal point in their life. For me it became kind of mesmerizing and changed the way I was reading it. I wasn’t really able to read with the end of the sentence in mind, I just followed the thoughts of the character, I felt it drew me closer to the character’s mind and made the crescendo at the end all the more effective. Sometimes the style will reflect the character who is front and center in a passage. One is kind of a dilettante and a buffoon, and when his parts come up the language reflects that, sentences get more complicated, a malapropism here and there, etc.

> It follows the stream of consciousness
I always wondered if somebody wrote something like that. It seems I have found it
> a pivotal point in their life
What happened exactly?
>malapropism
Explain this term in a way that even a blue-pilled normie pleb like myself could easily understand

Attached: I have finally found it!.png (640x960, 813K)

1. two guys, leopold bloom, an irish-jewish cuckolded ad man, and stephen deadalus, joyce's self portrait artist-parody walk around dublin over the course of one day, (approx. 16 hours of june 16th, 1904) running errands and going through their everyday routines as their paths briefly converge on various occasions.

2. this narrative is overlaid with the double image of Homer's Odyssey, with Bloom taking the role of Odysseus and Deadalus taking the role of Telemachus and different hours of the day become different stops on Odysseus' journey home. Leopold attends a friend's funeral, and in the reflectivity it inspires, in the communion with the past is the underworld katabases and the scene between Odysseus and Tiresias. it can be argued whether this is a Joseph Campbellesque celebration of the everyman and the everyday journey or a parodic inversion mourning the heroic age and the waste land of 1922.

3. it is told in a narrative stream of consciousness style, and though the narrator is constantly jumping between heads, it is almost always focalized through somebody, and through their immediate perceptions and experiences. it is a quasi psychedelic rendering of the Present from an abundance of concrete external data being filtered through encyclopedic and complexly historical mind's eyes.

4. it is a grand formal experimentation with each chapter representing an hour of the day, assuming a number of paired symbols, and a different self conscious literary style which also tends to relate to or comment upon the action of the chapter. for example, the chapter recounting bloom's day at work at the ad agency is nested in non-diagetic news headers and articles. the chapter in which the men get drunk on absinthe and hallucinate is told as a surrealistic stage play, and the chapter in the maternity ward is written as the gestation of the english language, tracing the evolution of style from anglo-saxon through various authorial parodies to modern irish-english vernacular.

Attached: Roy-Wallace-Alfred-E-Neuman-presents-The-James-Joyce-Show-sponsored-by-Gorillas-Choice-Bananas-oil-o (600x592, 209K)

This man is an absolute genius!

Also, is the pic implying that he inspired all these characters? I wouldn't be surprised if he did

Attached: menacing.jpg (639x637, 52K)

It is the greatest western work of art. Parts of it are truly sublime. You won't get just one thing it is a fox not a hedgehog. There a ideas about love, friendship, triumph, degeneracy. If read the prerecs there is no way to not enjoy this book.

5. It is also mean to be a kind of 1:1 recreation of Joyce's childhood Dublin from the Paris-Trieste-Zurich in which the novel was written. Street names, shop names, and archival news articles from June 16th 1904 feature heavily to flavor the text with the concrete existence of a moment in time through which Joyce's creations wander. Rumors of Joyce writing to his Aunt for exact measurements of different features of Dublin.

"I want to give a picture of Dublin so complete that if the city one day suddenly disappeared from the earth it could be reconstructed out of my book."

A malapropism is when you use an incorrect word in place of a similar sounding word, like auspicious switched with suspicious.
>what happened exactly?
Read the book and find out

>I want to give a picture of Dublin so complete that if the city one day suddenly disappeared from the earth it could be reconstructed out of my book
We need to do this for other cities as well.

Why was the file deleted?

Attached: this.jpg (494x531, 156K)

> Read the book and find out
Ok, I will

Attached: alex jones.jpg (986x797, 108K)

You could read 2-3 equally good books in the time it takes to read that, it is a good book but is zealously overhyped.

it's a fun book where he pastiches a different genre in every chapter and puts a bunch of connections to the odyssey and tries to portray the huge wealth of experience in any normal human day and it's a fucking joy to read

> What are its best quotes?
> What are the major themes?
> What are the main philosophical, psychological, political, or historical concepts?

Attached: imagine.jpg (251x201, 12K)

THREE CHEERS FOR PADDY DIGNHAM, GOD REST HIS SOUL

HIP HIP

What happened to him?

Some mick gets cucked

> mick
what?

He died - it's his funeral that Bloom and the others attend near the beginning.

How did he die?

Poopy

kek

Go back to Yea Forums!

People still haven't answered my previous questions
> What are its best quotes?
> What are the major themes?
> What are the main philosophical, psychological, political, or historical concepts?

sounding a bit like homework user

School hasn't even started yet

Attached: pepe11.jpg (320x371, 62K)

it was goatse

Attached: 576cb32f05aae_louisette.jpg (868x600, 71K)

unironically i will not read any book above 500 pages. convince me this is worth reading

The Bible is over 500 pages

i wouldnt really consider that the apex of literature based bible poster

The first time I went to Dublin I found I knew my way around that central area, say a square of Trinty College, Dublin Castle, Stephen's Green and O'Connell Bridge. I knew exactly where everything was, where the main streets were, how to get to the theatre.
It was like really vivid deja vu, and then I realised I must have picked it all up subconsciously from multiple readings Joyce

is this bait

mick is Anglo slang for Irish person

> this

Attached: ok.png (540x527, 161K)

assuming you tried to point out that Ulysses takes place in Dublin, and revolves around Irish affairs, the other user you referring to meant to be funny pointing out that a certain character blames a certain ethnic group for England's shortcomings.

tl;dr: England is my city.

Good thing I already had this image ready to go

Attached: 9765ED82-77FD-404C-A4BD-71AFB5798E6A.jpg (3218x783, 694K)

kühl starry bra.

wtf i love Joyce now

and Red-pilled

Attached: based.jpg (863x1059, 85K)