Guys I'm about to read this book, what's some essential material to prepare me for this?

Guys I'm about to read this book, what's some essential material to prepare me for this?

Attached: 39659330-1-f.jpg (480x480, 32K)

Give a Mouse a Cookie is way better- same goes for the whole “Give a something a something” series

I have many other better picture books to recommend.

There’s a chart for this, definitely DONT start with TVHC

you need some grasp of fundamentals

Attached: 1521493513376.png (2203x1814, 2.12M)

I haven't left my house in years. I have spent many sleepless nights chained to my desk in the basement trying to decipher the works of Carle.
Underestimate him and it WILL destroy you.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-02-16-50-05.png (1280x720, 354K)

Eric Carle is overrated trash. I have many other better picture book artists to recommend. I hate how people like Carle are ruining this industry.

trying a bit too hard guys

I take picture books very seriously. I used to be into weird fiction, but I dropped it, at least for the time being, to immerse myself into this industry. I do not treat this medium with levity. There is something sanctified and even holy about high-quality picture books, especially those by Inga Moore and Fritz Baumgarten. I have heard the voice of god while looking at their picture books.

NO FUN ALLOWED

Jesus, how can anyone expect to understand Carle without analyzing the searing condemnation of Marxism in The Very Busy Spider, or the warnings of environmental apocalypse in Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me.
Most importantly, however, nobody can grasp Carle without a solid grounding in Leo Lionni. You need to see the homoerotic longing in Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse and A Color of His Own, the passionate argument for the value of art in society framed by Frederick, to say nothing of the search for identity inSwimmy, Pezzettino, or Inch by Inch.

Kant and Hegel, obviously

The Joke
(Swooshing sound)
You

le r/swosh lolXD rwar am I ritte guys?

Hegel's Lectures on Fine Art

This, oh and Tolstoy.

critique of judgement
letters on aesthetics

>Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See is nowhere on any of these charts
Yea Forums entirely populated by fucking pseuds confirmed

Eric Carle is overrated trash.

Stop reading trash and read a real book.

Attached: 51HX7GIbHXL.jpg (500x454, 44K)

We're Going on a Bear Hunt is, indeed, much better than Eric Carle's FILTH. The animation of WGOABH was also good and true to the spirit of the source material.

this and frog and toad. frog and toad are the best buddies.

Attached: image.jpg (1792x2341, 2.54M)

This is shit. Complete filth.

I laughed, but I just hate chartfags.

>P-please stop making fun of me.

Based.
He acknowledged the joke, he just pointed out that it's a shitty tryhard Reddit joke. Dilate.

You people disgust me in how you do not take the genre of picture books seriously. It's not something to mock or take lightly. Picture books can reach the level of high-art of any great writer you can think of. It's because you people are depraved that you refuse to see the truth and depth of this statement. Just open your heart, and you will see the divinity present in many high-quality picture books. I know what I am talking about. Also, Eric Carle is trash. People who disagree are truly deluded.

Attached: picture_books_top_50.jpg (908x4492, 1.78M)

No it isn't, brainlet. Chicka chicka boom boom is literally one of the greatest attempts so far at reconstructing western masculinity in the past 100 years, using bot It was praised by Guy Debord and Russel Kirk alike.

Fuck, this board has gone down the shitter.

It's shit.
>Western masculinity
If you want Western masculinity, I recommend the picture book Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges.

Attached: saint george and the dragon.jpg (697x602, 203K)

Kenneth Graham's The Reluctant Dragon is good too. Inga Moore's illustrated version of it is good, but that version is a little bit censored, sadly.

Attached: 01.jpg (500x672, 93K)

>is good too.
is good too for masculinity*

>not realizing that Numeroff retroactively debunked Carle.
lmao pseuds

Attached: pancake.jpg (1500x1500, 314K)

One Kay Nielsen, a Parrish, and a Beatrix Potter and that's it for the golden age of children's illustration?? Where's Rackham, Shepard, and Wyeth? Here's the 25 I use to introduce my students to children's book illustration as an art (1815-1935, roughly): Cruikshank, Crane, Caldecott, Greenaway, Pyle, Denslow, Goble, Willcox Smith, Potter, Rackham, Parrish, Charles Robinson, William Heath Robinson, Jessie Marion King, Schoonover, Atwell, Shepard, Dulac, N.C. Wyeth, Pogany, Nielsen, Tarrant, Cicely Mary Barker, Tenggren, Willebeek Le Mair.

I have seen better. Toot and Puddle by Holly Hobbie has much more charm.

Attached: tootandpuddle.jpg (1024x771, 275K)

east of the sun and west of the moon looks fucking based

Do you know any literary agents? My email address is [email protected]
Walter Crane is very good. I have actually been meaning to buy his works soon. You have good tastes.

I'mma send you an email with my meme folder

pfft. retroactively debunked in "If You Give a Pig a Party."
the will of the pig can never be satisfied. there's also the pathological guilt of the susian spirit, which always give way to the lesser races, as evidenced. ultimately, the species is doomed.

Attached: If_You_Give_a_Pig_a_Party_(3)_illustrated_by_Felicia_Bond_and_written_by_Laura_Numeroff.jpg (1671x1914, 3.41M)

How long did Golden Age of Illustrations last? I feel like I had more than 3 but more like 8-10.

No, I just know academic publishers, sorry. I'd be no help getting a fiction writer published.
You do (I was hasty). Usually I'd place the golden age from the rise of great colour printing and gift books to the start of WWII (so call it 1865-1939). WWII mostly destroyed humanity's ability to just simply enjoy beautiful things and ornament. The aesthetic marvels of art nouveau gave way to art deco and gradually were stripped down to nothing.

Attached: Inv._1197_-_trat._fundo__CAzev._-1-781x1024.jpg (781x1024, 378K)

Wait, I think there were a lot of artists after WWII that kept to the Golden Age spirit. For example, Alfred Bestall, Racey Helps, Fritz Baumgarten, Jill Barklem, Molly Brett, Leonard Weisgard, and a few others keep up to that style. Also, there are recent artists like Inga Moore true to the spirit of that era.
Do you know anyone that could have links to literary agents that you could ask for referrals?

Are you my mother?

The book on how to read books

There's definitely quality work throughout, and children's illustrations (despite the new innovative styles started by folks like Seuss) is one of the few areas where traditional aesthetic beauty is still appreciated.