The Starter Kit

Be honest: how many of these have you read?

Attached: starter_A.png (3300x5100, 2.7M)

was this made by an American? nobody gives a shit about Harper Lee and Invisible Man outside Burgerland. I've read all of the others, though.

All but for 3. Entry-tier. Are you insinuating anything is wrong with any of these books? Because every one I've read is great. Except Catch-22, which I put down a couple chapters in because the whole book was just a fucking repetition of the same point in absurdity and I was exhausted of interest quickly.

Attached: José Sarmiento de Valladares, 1st Duke of Atrisco.jpg (1054x1431, 1.02M)

The list is completely arbitrary, doesn't actually lead anywhere, and is all burger-roach fiction.

Here's an attempt at an actual entry...

1. Learn Greek. Read Homer & co.
2. Read biographies & verse-oeuvres of neo-classical European poets in whichever languages you know (perhaps learn German, French, and/or Italian)

Attached: 0.jpg (700x700, 38K)

3 of them. I dont have interest in reading the rest.

Each one except for Lolita sadly. Honestly, any American high school grad of the last fifteen years has half this list completed if they actually read their assigned texts.

all except cuckoo's nest (got it in a stack somewhere) and invisible man (not really interested)

i'm one of her majesty's loyal bongs and i read mockingbird at school

all before finishing high-school? are you niggas serious

>i'm one of her majesty's loyal bongs and i read mockingbird at school
that's just... sad.

Maybe twelve but I don't know what the fuck the one second from the left on the bottom row says

It's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

I understand the temptation to ignore Invisible Man as an affirmative-action placed book, but it's actually pretty great. The prose is rich as hell and the thematic arguments are surprisingly well-reasoned.

I've read most of the books on the list. The only ones I haven't read are Slaughter House Five, Invisible Man, and Huckleberry Finn.

Oh. Eleven, then.

Unironically zero. Not much of a reader. Like the idea but can't concentrate, always my thoughts drift off mid page and I don't realise until 3 pages later

Everything but Siddhartha, but it's an odd list. Starter for what? If American, why is Dorian Grey in there? Where's the Faulkner?

A lot of the books on this chart are some of the few books I've had to put down out of boredom. I couldn't make it to the end of Slaughterhouse 5 or American Psycho because they both became a chore for me. Also, oddly enough, Blood Meridian was one of the few meme books I didn't like, either. Made it about 100 pgs, and gave up.

>1984
>The Great Gatsby
>Fahrenheit 451
I once tried to read Slaughterhouse-Five but I couldn't get through what I considered a nonsensical and boring plot at the time. Probably I should give it another try.

>Not much of a reader.

Based

This. It’s very well written and does offer an interesting perspective.

2. if you count shit i "read" in highschool, then 6.

I'd always gotten that impression, but maybe I'll give it a read. What would you compare it to?

here are the ones you actually should read:

lolita
great gatsby
brave new world
catcher in the rye
dorian gray
siddhaartha
catch-22

and maybe fahrenheit 451 & slaughterhouse five

Three and a half. couldn’t finish catch 22 because how tedious it is and the huge cast of characters but the humors all right. The two are mice and men (great story) and huckleberry Finn (read it around 5th grade;I forgot which edition was it but it had illustrations in every couple of pages which kept me intrigued)

agreed except slaughterhouse is high up there for me and fahrenheit is meh

>Step 1: Learn Greek

Attached: 1541522596306.jpg (320x320, 40K)

Faulkner. Mainly As I Lay Dying. Only one narrator, but it has that same stream of consciousness flow that feels more rhythmic than something like Joyce. It captures 1920s nasty parts of NYC the way that Faulkner captures those nasty parts of the South.

15 o dem. I do want to read all the rest I haven't but I must say many of them are not great.

I’m sure there’s other books like it but I’m struggling to think of one. I will say that it is a “realist” novel it can project this feeling of surrealism at parts, that increases as you go.
Like a Catch-22 that doesn’t have jokes. Not a great comparison but there you go.

You sleepin on Steinbeck bro?

9 of them. Not sure if the rest are worth reading:
Clockwork Orange
Mockingbird
Catch 22
Cuckoo's nest
Slaughterhouse
Fahrenheit
American psycho
Invisible Man
Fear and loathing
Huck Finn
Electric sheep

They just look like novelties. What do you all think?

well shit I'm in, thanks guys

This. It is "Fuck-you-for-being-white: the novel" but it's not as bad as one might first assume.

I have readed one of them.

>not much of a reader
I love Yea Forums

Just three

Why is American literature so fucking obnoxious like this?

Starter kit for what? The american school curriculum?

kys

10, but 7 of those were required reading in high school.

The other three I read for myself were:
Slaughterhouse Five
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Lolita

I also re-read Gatsby years later.

Also started reading Clockwork Orange and Dorian Grey but didn't finish them

It's one of Vonnegut's best. Once you realize the entire novel is Kurt trying to come to terms with the firebombing of Dresden (which he lived through and haunted him all his life) you understand why he's so desperate to throw in his digressions and fantastical elements and non sequiturs.

based