Yea Forums core

I'm new in Yea Forums and i want to get away from other types of entertainments like tv and start reading books like i used to do.Could you recommend me some approved books by Yea Forums?

Attached: 1412231434.jpg (1600x900, 77K)

Start with Finnegans Wake by James Joyce. If you don't like that, then books probably just aren't for you.

Noted.

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

brekekekek

What kind of absolute faggot goes on a board and opens a thread asking for general recommendations?

Me

I always found Dellilo as the perfect entry point for a lot of the books Yea Forums claims to love

Donald Delillo right?

Yea Forums culture
no a bad thing though

bingo
White noise can be a bit polemic in terms of people either loving or hating it (I personally had a great time with it but a lot of its best qualities come out with at least some understanding of what the landscape of fiction looked like when he wrote it). Libra is a good starting point if you like conspiratorial mindsets and have at least some bearing of American history

Nah I think he meant to recommend Danny Devito*.

Any more writters that Yea Forums loves?

Carl Schmitt is amazing.

Attached: CarlSchmitt.jpg (274x363, 12K)

Damn didn't know anyone on here actually enjoyed him and didn't just fawn over the esotericism of that most recent translation. I had a lot of fun with some his novellas, and he's probably my favorite post-wwii mystic in terms of some of his metaphyisique

Read the damn sticky you fag

It really depends what you're interested in. I wasted 2-3 years not reading literature because I thought reading literature = reading high school canon bullshit and then reading (no offense to Delillo recommendation guy) horrible shit like Delillo and god forbid Pynchon. If someone told me back then I could pick anything I want, from Swift's Gulliver's Travels, Jean Paul's Titan, Schiller's The Robbers, Stendhal's The Red and the Black, Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Huysmans' A rebours, Simmons' Hyperion, to Hume's History of Rome, to some random book I have lying around on the History of Ancient Sicily, a random history of Buddhist thought I found on the street last week and started reading today, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Magic Mountain, The Cask of Amontillado, the ghost stories of M.R. James or H.R. Wakefield or William Hope Hodgson or Algernon Blackwood, etc., etc., etc., I would have been much more open.

Different people like reading different things. I guess I am a pleb or autistic but I can't stand boring 20th c. modernist and postmodernist fiction, essentially dryly realist, and heavy on social commentary, which seems to be what everyone thinks of when they think "literature" these days. If someone told me I could have been reading exciting shit like le Carre spy thrillers or Robert Graves' I, Claudius, or straight-up history, I would have gotten into reading much earlier.

Even when I started browsing this board it took me a while to feel like I had "permission" to ignore William fucking Faulkner and shit like that. Who fucking cares? Why is modernist/postmodernist realist social commentary the default "literature?" Go read a Jeeves novella, or Voyage to Arcturus, or The First and Last Men.

Honestly probably the best thing you could do to get into reading would be scifi, if you're into it. I had a friend who got into reading recently by tearing through everything Philip K. Dick ever wrote. Then again he is slightly autistic.

Going to take those into account too.I'm here because i have the time to read for now and i have a lot.I will be checking a little bit of everything so thanks.

Kek

So.Talking about scifi.Is Dune good?
Never read any of the novels but they seems to be pretty famous.

>trusting Yea Forums recommendations
Daily reminder that these are the same people giving you shit for not reading "the classics."

Attached: 1559292301408.png (1415x507, 263K)

The Iliad
The Odyssey
The Aeneid
You will work you way out after these three.

Depends what you want to read about. There's so much out there that's been there for a long time. Sometimes I try to read by decade: Delillo is 80s, 90s. Raymond Carver. Even Brautigan is 60s/70s/80s. PKD, as echoed on here, worth considering. William Gibson for more sci-fi. William Gass, William Gaddis. Consider international: Borges, always. Consider particular regions - Japan: Akutagawa, Naoya, Soseki, and so many more. Lautreamont, Jerzy Kozinski, Gustave Mirbeau, Gustave Flaubert, Balzac, Theodore Dresier, Dovlatov, Bulgakov, Foster-Wallace (stories and essays), Nelson Algren, J.F. Powers.

Nice i have enough books for a while.

Start with something short. When you're done, look it up and get a bunch of new reading ideas.

Attached: Top100lit2014.jpg (1820x4348, 1.23M)

very bad list, OP ignore this

Is it that bad?
I've read some of those books and they are not that bad.

What the fuck interests you?
Read books about those things first.

>new in lit
>gets 333 trips
you get the secret knowledge: Aristotle, Plato, Holy Bible.

I will get to them after a couple of books then.

DFW, Pynchon.

I have been reading the Iliad and can recommend it(with exception of the ship catalogue)

> Don't put yourself in the middle of an orgy, put an orgy in the middle of the life you want to have.

woke af