Meditation

Thinking of getting this book as a guide to learn to meditate. Any insight as to whether or not it’s a good place to start?

Attached: 8A40C4F4-C71A-4D9F-A012-DC64FB09C615.jpg (260x320, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00788R001700210016-5.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upāsaka_and_Upāsikā
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

nah just go to your locate theravada or mahayana sangha otherwise you'll forever be a dilettante

This author was fucking hookers and chicks on the side without telling his wife while claiming his mehthod leads to enlightenment and the end of worldy desires.

So no. This book is written by someone who cannot be trusted and who does not even have an ounce of integrity.

English please

Wow wtf

Alright retard so basically actual buddhism involves reading real texts like the bhagavad gita and thinking about it a lot while alone it’s not gonna be some shit you can buy in a store and then reach enlightenment in 15 minutes a day

1. Why the attitude?

2. I’m only looking to use meditation as a tool, I have no interest in using Buddhism as a way of life.

Pragmatic Buddhism is a fucking cancer.

>why the attitude
Because you are a dumb nigger ruining our world with your autistic mindset

Don't listen to those faggots, it's great.

It is a good book but I'd recommend going on a Vipassanā meditation retreat (even just for the first weekend) to learn how to meditate properly from a teacher

More attitude. You really are a weak cunt.

>Based man goes out to cuck everyone and assert his dominance while writting a book for the plebe masses to stay calm, idle and oppressing all desires for will to power

Why would you want to shut your brain off?

As opposed to the authentic Buddhism of head licking and telepathic projection of dick pics

Real Buddhism involves reading Hindu texts? That's some big brained shit right there.

>ad hominem
Cool. I bet you also think that the existence of pedo priests disproves Christianity.

The existence of pedophile priests would refute Catholicism if Catholics made the claim that the teachings of Catholicism make being a pedophile impossible. The author of this book is claiming that his methods method material desires and he claims to have reached this "enlightenment." Pointing out the existence of material desires in the author is not an ad hominem but a direct refutation of claims he is making.

>The author of this book is claiming that his methods remove material desires
Fixed

It could still be the case he simply didn't follow the teachings and that they are not his own. Which is partially the case.

He claims to have reached "enlightenment" or the culmination of his own teachings, that he has no material desires. He's a charlatan.

Attached: 1566930399585.jpg (2712x5224, 3.65M)

yeah it's fine. you don't have to be a buddhist to meditate so ignore all the other posts in this thread

>Trusting a "guru"
>Ever
LOL

Lmao no. I read the book and nowhere does it claim that reaching enlightenment would make it impossible for you to cheat on your wife. Who gives a fuck if he's a charlatan, if his book is good?

Why wouldn’t it?

Nigger what the fuck do you think equanimity means.

What's with this book being shilled so hard here?

Kek

I finished Franny and Zooey and I don't think it's a good idea to use meditation as a tool

If you want a tool start exercising, retard.

is good, its details help a lot
With Each and Every Breath (which is free) is also good
use both at least until having a consolidated practice
also be aware that Culadasa was not the person he claimed to be, so take his affirmations about enlightenment with a grain of salt
some people also mention Mindfulness in Plain English, didn't read it but I've been reading 8 Mindful Steps to Happiness by the same author and it's nice
Another thing about The Mind Illuminated I keep hearing is that a lot of people reached Insight just following the book

This book is good but it does not help you with the reason to meditate. And it's the most important part.

Practical Insight Meditation by Mahasi Sayadaw is good for core three-characteristics insight practices.
Seeing That Frees is good if you're advanced at concentration/samatha (through the methods in With Each and Every Breath or something similar)
Right Concentration is also popular for learning jhana

>Seeing That Frees
this one is great to understand Emptiness
there's a recorded Rob Burbea's retreat about the same topic, really good
also, Rob Burbea is currently ill, I hope he gets better soon, he's a good teacher

cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00788R001700210016-5.pdf
here is what you need

>also be aware that Culadasa was not the person he claimed to be, so take his affirmations about enlightenment with a grain of salt
What does that mean?

he's been banging hookers on the side, cheating on his wife

so was my dad, boys will be boys

It means he's a brainlet who thinks that enlightenment can be understood by the unenlightened

>only a correct understanding of karma allows one to bang hookers mindfully

True
>Arjuna, kill them all

>Culadasa was not the person he claimed to be
he advertised himself as a upasaka
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upāsaka_and_Upāsikā
>I will refrain from sexual misconduct
>I will refrain from false speech

>take his affirmations about enlightenment with a grain of salt
i meant about advanced practice
also i'm not judging him, maybe he's senile, maybe sexual desire is so strong that overcomes even emptiness understanding and maybe he wasn't truly enlightened or >daniel ingram is rubbing his hands rn

>Daniel Ingram
बसेद अन्द् रेद पिल्लेद