Mythology

Has anyone here actually read this book? I’m about halfway and I’d definitely recommend it. I’m reading it as a primer for Homer but it’s enjoyable as a stand alone piece.

Other recommendations on similar works?

Attached: 82E9DAED-C71A-48E6-AE3E-DE966B15E680.jpg (382x499, 55K)

its shit

Biblioteca
Apollodorus
Works and days
Theogony

Good luck

That's just an overview. Read The Greek Myths by Robert Graves for far more depth.

Your reply is shit you cunt

>here I chose not to use Ovid, who as usual took his mocking exaggerations to the point of absurdity, but Apollodorus, who somehow managed to slightly overcome his unbearably boring dullness, perhaps touched by a subject much greater than himself

She admits in the introduction that she doesn’t know Old Norse but then proceeds to tell us how the Eddas and Sagas are shit literature because all the translations she read can’t possibly be wrong. I think she’s a giant fraud.

It’s pop science what can I say

What exactly is the problem with that reasoning? Would her opinion be valid if she said it's good literature? Then you're agreeing with her only because her view coincides with your own. Would her opinion be valid if she actually knew Old Norse? Then that would require for every person to only read in the languages they speak fluently which, as much as this board hates to admit, is pure bullshit. Maybe only a couple of hundred people on this planet could actually read Homer, Beowufl, The Tao te Ching... Then what's the point of literature? Having a miniscule circlejerk of people knowing a certain language and talking about only one book?

Read actual mythological texts, and then read Jung and Neumann

She’s pretending to be a figure of authority when the only thing she’s good at is explaining the illiad to 15 year olds.

Neumann?

Von neumann I assume. Did some important and largely comprehensible work in computer science.

Yeah but what does von Neumann's venturing into theoretical computer science, mathematics and physics have any relevance to mythology?

>Would her opinion be valid if she actually knew Old Norse? Then that would require for every person to only read in the languages they speak fluently which, as much as this board hates to admit, is pure bullshit.
If you’re writing a book about Old Norse literature, then you have to know Old Norse, yes. And stop exaggerating, it’s not that fucking hard to learn new languages.

I bought it and read it, it’s trash

Never read something written by a woman

I disliked Hamilton, she's a woman after all, the Greeks knew women were garbage. That aside, are there any good books like this? Anyone read Bulfinch?

If you like that, then you are an absolute pleb, should have read one of these instead:
The library of Greek mythology by Apollodorus of Athens
The Complete World of Greek Mythology by Richard Buxton
Gods and Heroes of Ancient Greece by Gustav Schwab

>enjoyable

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
THAT'S THE MOST BORING BOOK I'VE EVER READ.

>stop liking things I don’t like

Nothing personal kid

>then proceeds to tell us how the Eddas and Sagas are shit literature
well they are

Look here yuggin, we don't talk Reddit round here

Attached: soydance.gif (224x224, 3.8M)