Do they have any good literature or culture in general...

Do they have any good literature or culture in general? Usually the meme is on Africa but at least they have the Egyptians (ancient and modern like Mahfouz) and Achebe, I literally can't think of a single author for Oceania

Attached: 1280px-Oceania_(orthographic_projection).svg.png (1280x1280, 267K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg_School
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_the_Kelly_Gang
youtube.com/watch?v=Ahr4KFl79WI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Writing books is for wh*Te dogs

Taxonomy bookd

By the way just to clarify, even if you think Achebe is trash or whatever you can't deny that he is a major writer, but I guarantee I'm not the only one who can't think of a single author, not even an obvious trash author.

The combined population of Australia and Oceania is the same as Iraq.

I heard that Gerald Murnane is good.

I quite like Peter Carey and Ngaio Marsh

Who is that aesthetic looking Australian who died fairly young, his 40s, perhaps earlier. Died in the 20th century. Early part.

zyzz

Amos Tutuola is the patrician African

Hitler?

Australian, not Austrian

Steve Irwin?

Do you know how centuries work, user?

Katherine Mansfield is from New Zealand. That's all I can think of though.

Peter Singer and David Chalmers are Australian lmao

Of course.

We're talking about cricket, right?

Owen Marshall
Katherine Mansfield
Keri Hulme
Janet Frame
Allen Curnow

I'd rather talk about our lack of literary talent than the last test match

i'm australian, i can tell you its a real shame the national literature they have us reading in schools at least. i've sat through more 'boohoo i'm an aboriginal' stories for 1000 lifetimes.

>Australian writers who have obtained international renown include the Nobel-winning author Patrick White, as well as authors Christina Stead, David Malouf, Peter Carey, Bradley Trevor Greive, Thomas Keneally, Colleen McCullough, Nevil Shute and Morris West. Notable contemporary expatriate authors include the feminist Germaine Greer, art historian Robert Hughes and humorists Barry Humphries and Clive James.

>Among the important authors of classic Australian works are the poets Henry Lawson, Banjo Paterson, C. J. Dennis and Dorothea Mackellar.

I thought Malouf was particularly interesting. We don't really talk about lit much because Murdoch has such a strong grip on the intellect of the nation, so we're pretty brainletised. Another problem with this is the intelligentsia has become quite elitist as fas as i can tell so theres not much emphasis given to the popularization of literature.

Even though its an abomination as a nation the land itself is, in my mind, the most beautiful on earth. I wouldn't want to be born anywhere else.

Our children's lit is superlative imo. Check Norman Lindsay, Mem Fox and Dorothy Wall's Blinkey Bill. The classic is For the Term of His Natural Life by Clarke.

Attached: angela-hawkey-hamersley-gorge-original-outback-australian-landscape-duplicate-bluethumb-ab5a.jpg (766x766, 283K)

Can you believe the ump didn't give that last lbw? And we wasted the review. It would be a comedy of errors if it wasn't tragic. Gotta give it to Stokesy though. He went full madcunt.

>Do they have any good literature or culture in general?
>Anglo country
No

No
Fuck australia and especially nz
Kiwifag here, our mentality is shit, our culture is shit, and we're too lazy as a people to do anything about the many many problems we have.
There is zero literary scene here. Even Australia is miles better, and Katherine Mansfield hated New Zealand with a passion.

Lots of good music has come out of Australia: AC/DC, SPK, Severed Heads.

The appeal of NZ is that it is so far away from everything else. If ever you were to fuck off from anyplace else to the most reasonable, irrelevant place possible, that's where you would try to get to. NZ was one of the last places on earth to be settled by humans. Not even indigineous Maori arrived until circa 1200 AD. Somehow, the dots of Polynesia had been peopled well beforehand. Humanity just plain missed NZ until there were no other places left to check out. NZ is Earth's final frontier, from a human migration point of view.

based and Palm-Wine pilled

>any good literature
no
>or culture in general?
fuck no. australians are the most anti intellectual people on earth and are proud of it
t. australian

They have the best series of literary hoaxes any country has produced. They've taken in the world with fake modernists and fake sjws and fake cancer sufferers and fake black people like nobody else. You'd think people would guess by now just from seeing its origin but Random House still plays ball with them.

Lynley Dodd

Besides Australia and Korea, what are some nations notoriously lacking in literary masterpieces?

Patrick White dude. Voss is one the best novels ever written. We don't have a lot but we sure have that.

Helen Garner is comfy too.

New Zealand

>>good Aus literature
>no
You're clearly one of those anti intellectuals if you actually think this.

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong
Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his "Billy" boiled,
"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me."

Chorus:
Waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda,
You'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his "Billy" boiled,

Down came a jumbuck to drink at that billabong,
Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee,
And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag,

(Chorus)

Up rode the squatter, mounted on his thoroughbred.
Down came the troopers, one, two, and three.
"Whose is that jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?
You'll come a-waltzing Matilda, with me."

(Chorus)

Up jumped the swagman and sprang into the billabong.
"You'll never catch me alive!" said he
And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong:

o7

fuck you faggot you stole my quads i was just one away

I wonder what it is that makes Australians such great scammers, con artists, and shitposters. Even Moot grew to despise Australians because they were such legendary shitposters. What is it about the culture of Australia that generates such people?

Thats why we have to make it cob. The sun king wants us to be cynical. Theres no reason we cant offer things to the world. Re read your Banjo Pat and tell me we don't have something to add.
t. irish spirit in a foreign land

Attached: images (38).jpg (449x682, 52K)

only the best fucking literature of all time, cunt

Attached: 9780330362924.jpg (300x450, 21K)

quad? Whats wrong deary?
Its because we're from convict stock. The convicts were mostly peasants disinherited after the closure of the commons. They stole our land and basically starved us into becoming criminals, then basically but us in a position where we either had to steal land or sink into poverty on the colony. We're cynical, dry witted shit posters because we ARE underdogs. Have you heard of tall poppy syndrome? It came about because we hate fuckheads who take more than they need like the original lords who kicked us off "their land" to farm wool and cattle like the greedy inhuman cunts they are.

new zealand has the population of a mediocre city and has only existed for like 200 years, the fact that they have any notable authors at all is fairly impressive.

It's technically known as larrikanism. We're raised to not take ourselves too seriously and take the piss out of eachother.

That's becoming increasingly less the case in recent times. It feels like everyone is constantly real life seriousposting about their agendas.

yeah i know it's quite sad, most have signed up for the Program now. feel like a dying breed

DON'T CALL ME DEARY YOU THIEVING AUSTRALIAN

Attached: 875415641546.jpg (704x396, 53K)

Maori are not indigenous they genocided the previous inhabitants

As a kiwifag I don't know what to do.
I've been writing and even got published in some short story spots years back but I don't know what to do when I complete my novel.
I actually think it's pretty good but there is such an atmosphere of nobody giving a fuck about anything in New Zealand and enforced mediocrity I feel like I'd be forced to leave the country if I wanted it to succeed.
Any advice?

Attached: 1565275934266.jpg (1440x900, 393K)

At this point, the question is merely academic, you know what I meant: they were the muds that were there first-ish. Everyone is always from somewhere, and everyone is always not-from somewhere. The point being that I'm still substantively right despite being academically wrong, because what is meant is the browns that were in the area before the whites showed up, not whatever ahistorical, irrelevant goings-on were occuring earlier.

>ctrl+f
>no "picnic at hanging rock"
I thought this was the literature board?

Off the top of my head, Patrick White and David Malouf could probably be considered major novelists, although I don't get the sense that they're very well known outside of Australia.

Poetry about the Australian bush from the late 19th and early 20th century is an entire literary genre. It's closer to folk music than serious literature, but I love shit like "The Man from Snowy River."

Sorry sweet heart. I didn't mean to offend.

Not him, but incredible innings there. The current English team sure do know how to keep things entertaining.

Your country doesn't care because its elite class doesn't want them to care. They only want them to consume products and submit to authority, not to have a common culture and heritage. Literature and other arts in Asia, Europe, and the US have historically been sponsored by the elite class to establish shared cultural values and heritage in their lands. Nigeria is an example of a country which has recently jumped on this bandwagon with domestic and foreign elites backing their arts in an attempt to stabilize the country and make it safer for economic development, which is why you hear of so many Nigerian authors like Achebe and Ngozi-Adichi. You have been betrayed for profit.

Fuck this is good. The swagman can be read as a symbol for a nostalgia for an alternate modernity. Its a return to proto- pastoral past where man and nature are in harmony. The spirit of Rousseau's noble savage sings to us through this proud little ditty.

'Oath. Your not wrong there cob. Fucken social media to my mind. Made us into superficial, little snowflake cunts that care more about validation than their own integrity and independence.

We're not all gone though.

Shut it, Mullaboomoogi.

Not literature, but the Deltora Quest books were an enjoyable read as a child.

Melbourne is the most literary city in the world.

Attached: books.png (572x772, 41K)

Inner M*lbourne is ground zero for hipster faggotry, it's honestly like an alternate reality compared to the rest of Australia.

F

It's still a lot better than Wellington.

So...San Francisco in the Southern Hemisphere?

>elite class
>New Zealand
Even our "elites" are mediocre tall poppy syndrome dickheads
Name New Zealanders who succeeded without leaving New Zealand. Mansfield went to England. Rutherford went to England. Lorde went to the US as did almost all of our other musicians, the rest of whom went to the UK or Australia.
I actually like physically being in NZ in my home country and area but this country strangles its talent in the cot.

India? Is there any literature from India that isn't spiritual mumbo jumbo?

More like Portland, Amerifats and even British people from large English cities don't realise how whiteoid Australia is. The least white cities (Melbourne and Sydney) is still probably ~75% Euros and the others are 90%, more if you remove non citizens.

That's why I, as fellow underdog (shitzilian), relate too much to 'strayans and the 'strayan cynicism.
At least you guys have high standards of living, tho.

I'd also say the swagman embodies the convict and Aboriginal experience. Msny of the convicts were transported for stealing sheep to feed their families, and like the swagmen, Aborigines were hunted down for taking sheep that had strayed from farms, because they knew fuck all about the white man's concept of ownership. His final like "You'll never take me alive!" is straight from bushranging lore too

It's pretty much the GOAT national song. A perfect summation of the Australian experience up to that point

>Australia has no culture

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg_School
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_the_Kelly_Gang
youtube.com/watch?v=Ahr4KFl79WI

Attached: 1540034201683.jpg (896x943, 139K)