Does this not actually suck? Someone I always considered quite tasteful rec'd it...

Does this not actually suck? Someone I always considered quite tasteful rec'd it, but maybe I am not a good judge of taste.

Attached: 0.jpg (600x921, 76K)

How can someone who writes like shit can have the audacity to write such a book? kek fucking americans

Attached: 1111.jpg (248x189, 15K)

Please only reply if you have actually read at least the first chapter.

I've read the whole thing. He criticizes Lovecraft and W. P. Blatty for their incompetent dialogue yet he himself is not any better. I would understand it if he were a literary writer but when you're a mediocre genrefag you can't point any fingers.

Do you think that genre fiction is necessarily mediocre, or just generally?

OBSESSED

It can be well-written. King is mediocre.

it's not worth it. Basicly what he says is:

1. Shorten your final draft by 10%
2. First write for yourself, then rewrite it so other reader can understand it also

Just watch Brandon Sandersons Lectures on YouTube, i know people here hate him and his are not 10/10 but his writing advise is

his books

I mainly read it because, like it or not, King is the most successful and well known author probably of all time. It's a quick enough read to gain the little insight he has, and abandon the rest. I feel like I have to like King because it's something my mother and I can bond over - it feels icky sometimes, though.

>King is the most successful and well known author probably of all time.

Attached: 1565876010848.png (413x310, 227K)

I forgot about J.k. Rowling. There you go.

Being known and being read are different things. I have never read stephen king, I have an 8 person family and only one of them has a book by him, but she didn't get past the first few chapters, it was IT and she only got it because of the recent movies. Meanwhile everyone has read orwell that I know, even if they do not know it was orwell, everyone I know past age 30 has read either 1984 or animal farm, often, both. There are other examples, but king is known, not read is my point.

Yea Forums in general is much to pretentious in regard to this man. I don't care for him now, as one quick glance at his twitter shows he is in the throes of accelerated senility, likely as a result of his cocaine use as a young man. But his style is undeniably charming, he has wit (which so many, despite their recognition of good prose and appreciation of lofty themes, absolutely lack) and his advice is good. The main point you should take away is that this man wrote like a machine and got lucky a couple of times. He basically admits it himself. But he wrote prolifically; nobody here can say the same.

Are you trying to get actual writing advice or are you just reading it because your friend recommended it?

Generally. I'm putting together a Western-genre lit chart and there's some solid stuff, but boy there's a bunch of schlock. The Western might be one of the most inconsequential genres as far as Yea Forums concerns go, down there with 20th-21st fantasy and romance. Sci-fi is the most Yea Forums, assuming you like philosophy and can stomach dry or unornamented prose, and there's been good stuff cropping up in the horror/New Weird scene for about 20 years now.

It might be an age thing. Most older guys I know barely read, but almost always cite King as one of their favorite authors. His writing has fallen out of favor with the general public in the past 20 years, but people who were alive in his heyday are still fans. He's your dad's horror author.

I didn't realize how many books King had written until I passed by the K-section in the library and 3/5 rows of a shelf were his work. I honestly believe he has hypergraphia.

I am looking for writing advice, yes. I was reading Stevenson's ruminations, alongside Napoleonic history, and he mentioned it.

This is a short suggestion list I put together for another user. I've not read On Writing so I can't speak to whether it's useful or not.

Attached: 1565081758208.png (1550x323, 69K)

I guess that's a better articulation of what I meant, and I agree with you. I do think you can learn from someone who has had his successes without even liking the content.

But then you must ask yourself, are you writing for the masses or writing to produce something with meaning or something for yourself? Unless your trying to get somewhere as a pulp genre writer then I would ignore what the like of GGRM or King have done because they write to keep you on the edge of your seat with twists and turns, while Dostoevsky keeps you up an extra 30 minutes at night pondering his words

Not 100% on topic, but somehow Elevation managed tobe the worst book he's ever written. And yes, I've read Doctor Sleep.

I kind of thought he was back after The Outsider, even if it did go to ahit after the retarded bitch from the Mercedes trilogy showed up halfway through, but I guess not. I always thought his gay Twitter was just a shield for when people try to 'cancel' him for writing the word 'nigger' more than any author in history. Sadly, Elevation disproved that notion.

Full Dark No Stars and Revival are still the only really good shit he's put out since the turn of the century. Dude's got enough money, his son Joe is better than he is now, and all he's doing at this point is hurting his legacy. For the sake of middle school me, he really needs to hang it up and stop embarrassing himself.

The first half or so is basically a memoir, and much of the rest is too. If you want to know more about Stephen King, sure read it, if you want only to learn about writing, the tl;dr is: read all the time, and write all the time.

Those fingers are well pointed

Does anyone else feel like Stephen King and Thomas Pynchon have the same goofy Boomer sensibility?

Some of his advice is questionable, but he admits as much himself. Most of his advice is not about style but the actual act of writing: write everyday; set up a physical writing space away from the rest of your life so you can easily slip into the act. Half of it is cosy memoir and even though 95% of what he wrote is complete dogshit it's still an uplifting read for an aspiring author.

>>Listening to Boomers

are you dumb?

His books are the definition of an old man yelling at clouds

whoever rec'd it wants you to suffer

Couldn'tve said it better myself. I don't know what he was smoking during Revival, but it was like I was reading 80's cokehead King again.

It's fine if you know literally nothing about creative writing. It's a lot of "avoid adverbs" shit. But if you've been writing for a while and you're at least somewhat competent then you should already be familiar with pretty much all his advice.

Dostoevsky keeps no one up, but mediocrities. He is a terrible writer, for mediocrities.

t. brainlet

It's about actually sitting down and making yourself do the work, which is something he excels at.

based

Sometimes the sheer act of sitting down and writing is enough for an aspiring writer, because most of them (at least that I know of) just wouldn't write. Personally don't read books on writing to learn anything, because most of these are mainly about obvious things or practical advice on how to get published, not actual writing tips. I read it because it inspires me to write more. Also I noticed that the most inspiring thing for me is bad writing. I just can't stand it and want to make sure I can do better despite not being published or not being as famous as that particular author.

Lmao

>>The road to hell is paved with Adverbs

Uses a shit ton of Adverbs

It's an okay book, but you won't find anything groundbreaking in there.
I enjoyed the first half, simply to hear about more about a writer's life. His practical advice is, as I said, mostly fundamentals. Write everyday, don't overuse adjectives, etc.

If you want to read, I'd suggest to read it more as a memoir.

I spend quite a bit of time years ago working through a lot of books on writing and taking notes. I think I only took a few pages from this one. It's not bad if you don't know anything about creative writing, but if you already know a few things, skip this one.

In general though, books on writing can help, but actual writing is always best.

It was a compulsory read for my MA in Creative Writing. The tutors said "we don't want your writing style to be like his, but this is a great book for aspiring writers to read nevertheless"

>to produce something with meaning or something for yourself
I'd say a mix of these two. I really just want to write books and make albums. That's all. Nothing else really does much for me.

Are you good or mediocre?

>He criticizes Lovecraft and W. P. Blatty for their incompetent dialogue yet he himself is not any better

He's accurate in capturing boomer-speak, but that's pretty much it.

only SK book i liked. mostly the first 100 pages.

You might say he excels a little too well at that