It’s all gone

I wasted it. I got my mechanical engineering degree but I never applied to one job, I was so afraid and humiliated and I didn’t think anyone would ever want me to work for them. I didn’t feel like I could be an engineer, I felt too stupid to ever think I could provide enough value to a company to pay for my salary.

Now I make 11 dollars an hour working ina warehouse. People have finally stopped asking me if I’m going to find an engineering job. All those years, money, and effort, wasted.

Attached: CE30CA22-B991-439D-9A54-6A06CCEB9548.png (390x348, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You stupid fuck.

Nice going retard

Clinical depression?

I'm so happy I got a borderline useless degree instead of one with expectations lmao

Just lie and get a technician job

Hey man, if I didn't recognize something eerily familiar in your post, I wouldn't reply. But my uncle went through a similar thing. Obviously very bright. Obviously talented when it comes to physics and mathematics. But the formal education aspect of it simply destroyed his personality. I strongly suggest you pursue a career in your field. Give it 2 years. If it doesn't work out, pursue your passion without apology.

What do you mean by it destroyed his personality? And how did that happen?

bullshit. fuck em. you weren't meant to be an engineer, you were meant for better. you weren't meant to whither away on the vine in some cuck cubicle. you never would've got the chance to engineer anything beautiful anyway.

Attached: 1520398838907.jpg (615x820, 119K)

Try and pull yourself out you got an engineering degree. You could do a lot with that I would go and work as a contractor. Start at a job you can maybe get your own company in. You got to get your bareings talk to people your co workers family friends. Try and get yourself up and above where you are now. Even if you didn't have an engineering degree if you work in construction theres a lot of opportunities to move up. It is hard but what have you got to lose you would be sore but there would be a lot of things that could go your way talk to your bosses and co worker at your job now ask them for advice. Ask your boss how he got where he is now. People value a good hardworking employee worker when your at home rest. Enjoy yourself being with people is best if you feel this bad and without worth maybe see a therapist too because it seems you've got a lot on your mind.

I have 2 years until I get the same degree.
I'm a fake, I'm an imposter, I cram to pass, and sometimes, I even get good grades, but I have no technical skills, and I forget all the theory that I learn. Why would anyone give me a well paid, highly responsible position, when a Pajeet could probably do everything that I could, but better.
Wat do?

Since he was a teenager, he was recognized as having very high intelligence. He followed the expected route from farm kid to engineering student (which was remarkably common in western Canada in the 1980s). By the time he reached third year, he had something approaching a mental breakdown, but he finished school. And he is a well-paid engineer today with a family. But he may or may not be schizophrenic...we aren't quite sure. He speaks with a disarming candour. He is extremely knowledgeable on religious and political matters (which I think is attributable to his hobbies rather than his career), and his words swing like a pendulum between profound insight and incoherence.

drop out, lift weights, read, wait.

Don't know if this goes for engineering students too, but for business/ecobomics/finance there is always this bullshit "need at least 2years of experience", "must fit into the culture". Fucking bullshit.

Same. Although my situation is quite similar to OP's, my degree is meme-tier so there was nothing to waste to begin with.

I've been lifting for years, I fell for the Yea Forums meme and started reading as well, but I feel like books are just escapism. Lifting made me happy for a while, but now it's like washing teeth, it's just something I have to do.
Dropping out is not an option since I'm poor, I could put even less emphasis on grades though.
Kind of an autist so I have a lot of free alone time, just don't know what's the optimal thing to do with it.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it

I was the exact same way. I would just copy the homework from some solution manual if I turned it in at all, then I’d cram the night before an exam and go in and get a B or somewhere just above the average and the average would be so low they’d grade it on a curve. My GPA was a 3.5 when I graduated, I simply didn’t care. I remember laying on the floor of my apartment at 3 AM the night before my heat transfer exam, I was too anxious to even open my textbook. I learned it all well enough to get an above average grade on the exam and that was that.

I don’t know how to do anything, I don’t have any technical skills. I can solve the little kinematics and dynamics problems, I can do the heat transfer and thermo problems, I can find how much torque you’d need to apply on some shaft to create some sort of deflection further down, but I don’t have any ability to do anything with these things. And that’s why I never applied. I didn’t feel like a real engineer, I felt like some sort of fake, like I’d be the odd man out if I ever got the chance to work, but I never thought I’d even get an interview. I have no practical experience in engineering because of that, I never applied to any internships or did any clubs, I was too humiliated and afraid to even try.

I have these feelings but I also don't care and make $40/hour

Feels like shit being a powerless bourgeois faggot, but what can ya do lol

Thanks for posting this, I take it as a warning for myself.

im like most of the people in this thread except my GPA is utter shit and i have 0 social skills, no clue what the hell i'll do after college

what do you really want though?

You stupid motherfuckers. Just apply to fucking jobs, you retards. Employers don't expect a new hire to already know everything. Your typical engineering job will require very little technical expertise. Any idiot who can do some math and understand basic physics will be fine.

>boo hoo, muh impostor syndrome
>I'm not a *real* engineer!

Fucking idiot children. I felt that way when I finished my BS, so I spent six years getting a fucking PhD. Even then, I felt no closer to being a real engineer. Now that I've been working for five years, what I've learned is most engineering jobs are so fucking easy and boring. No one will ever challenge you. You can spend half your time day dreaming or writing your novel. You can still have existential angst and depression as you wonder why you bothered getting a degree to do boring and simple work, but at least you can pay your bills.

like every other job engineering is 1/3 clerical, 1/3 management management or sales, 1/3 actual work. not knowing any engineering will help you advance.

drop out and join the infanteers

Attached: B640136E-FC45-4B4C-A841-4400DA2AD1A6.png (488x423, 147K)

>he got a trade school phd
holy fuck dude, warn me before you obliterate my sides again

Attached: the19thammendment.jpg (250x240, 7K)

What do I want? Well, I never really had anything that I wanted to do for long periods of time, just some passing obsessions that would leave as abruptly as they came.
But if I had to think of something, I was always drawn to being a merchant, a jewish trader of sorts, one that makes calculations on a paper towel and rubs his hands. What's my best bet, selling stuff online?
Heh, I'd need money from my cushy engineering job to get the starting capital.

go see a shrink.

based, im the same

This desu. If I were a yank I'd join the military, get a random degree with GI bill and then get some government job thanks to preferential hiring.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

OP already has a four year degree so he could enlist as an officer, then receive tuition repayment assistance and other perks. It's certainly a better option than slaving away at a dead end warehouse job.

If user can't apply for an engineering job he can't be an officer

Read more than fiction*

great literature-related thread

great literature-related post.

how competitive is the procedure to become an officer?

Not a real thing

Actually this does seem to be related to philosophy in many ways, the sense one has about oneself and how they relate to those around them. Do they really know things or are they just going through the motions?

not at all

Getting mixed signals here. Another user claimed it was very competitive.

Maybe it's because I just woke up but that's a beautiful description.

Take the SSI pill.

definitely wouldn’t want op to be my commander

So? You can get 3 books off Abe for $11

Why? Because he has self doubt and you have delusional amounts of confidence?

what kind of job do you even get with mechanical engineering?

pretty sure it has to do with typing or somewhat

I mean to say that if op can’t handle a subordinate position, then he should probably not go straight to command and instead build up to it

They don't exist. They've all been H1B'd.

It’s actually probably the broadest field of engineering with the best prospects for employment. Manufacturing, structures, HVAC, automotive, power, anything that needs hardware or a moving part of any kind probably has a mechanical engineer involved somewhere. Likewise they can go into quality engineering or other manufacturing, process oriented fields, and many often end up in management roles.

Not to mention the aerospace industry and robotics.

Construction Science grad here
We contract at least one mechanical contractor on every job I've ever worked on. My last project contracted a mechanical and plumbing contractor for 100mil. Most or all of their design team was mechanical engineers, plus the mechanical engineers on the design team that the owner contracted. and then on top of that you have the stamped engineers who work for the city

Is that St. Patrick's?

He sounds based af

This is honestly everyone pursuing a bachelor's degree. Don't sweat it.

>anthropology degree
>putting away $750+ USD a month in savings
>live in country with cost of living about 20% of America's
>only working part time
>piss easy job

Did I do good?

what do you do?

English teacher

He is one of the three people in my life with whom I can have a serious, honest, and productive conversation.

I get that feel user. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. But im sure at least someone will want to hire you-- these jobs are in great demand

Give us some of his insights. Bless people like him

does he regularly burst into tirades akin to Dosto's underground man?

you've wasted a spot in a college. that could have gone to a neglected Latino kid and been put to better use, and that's honestly saying something

imagine being this gay

>b-b-but he wouldn't have done anything of importance either!!!
note that I said "and that's honestly saying something"

Me too brother, except I never even managed to finish my degree.

what is your telos

to bait people on the 4th anonymous channel

There's no way I can do it justice. I don't even want to try. He has a way of characterizing everything in the world through the lens of good and evil; angels and demons; honest and deceitful...not in a caricatured, religious sense, but as a simplified way of understanding the forces that guide human behaviour. The first time he and I had a serious conversation, we were at my grandparents' farm in central Alberta, sitting around the bonfire talking about Quebec separatism. Something from that conversation sparked in me an unending desire to "assess" and "understand" the primitive human desires that made history, politics, and business happen. I've never looked back. When I was 18, I listened to George Carlin talk about the rulers of the world (from the It's Bad for Ya special) and asked my uncle what he thought of it. His response was, at the time, incomprehensible. But I've come to understand it more and more as I've grown up. The wisdom and insights that continue to emerge from him just become fuller and truer with time. It's kind of frightening.
He tiptoes in that realm, to be honest. I've been conversing with him since I was 16. He always seemed crazy or unhinged, but I'm 30 now and more and more of what he says rings true. It makes me wonder how someone who came of age in the 1980s could have such insights without having seen the last ten years unfold. Yet everything that unfolds, year to year, validates his words

He sounds like somehow who thinks he knows more than he does and you sound like someone dumb and gullible enough to take it as gospel.

>Imposter syndrome sucks so bad!

Attached: 6727353D-2874-4A03-A838-EAAF43833174.png (782x758, 127K)

I got a similar feeling op. Im in my fifth year and doing an engineering degree too, but I feel like I cant do the job. I have no desire to do what im pursuiting. But, I feel like its too late to change to something else.
The fugg do I do

Attached: 1535305981465.jpg (769x1078, 112K)

That might very well be the case. But I'm a fairly thoughtful person, one who's life has been essentially stunted by my preoccupation with existential and philosophical pursuits, and one of the few remaining joys in my life is talking with my uncle.

>I make 11 dollars an hour working ina warehouse
That's good. Stop complaining you spoiled middle class faggot.

>It’s all gone
Do something else, what could you do now about it? cry over the spoiled milk? not everyone get lucky on life, life is about luck anyway (or providence but we can't know). I am on a similar situation than you btw. Life is too futile to lose your mind over it

Attached: 1559013854907.jpg (800x450, 60K)

Depends where you live. I live in LA county and 11$ an hour is basically impossible to live by

I studied something that is being pissed on by society. It is paid less than retail but you have better and less hours of work. I actually want to do it and it required 5 years to get masters for it. Now when I look at my notes from uni, after 5 years I finally understand those pages and what they mean. When I was in uni I did the same as you and I didnt even understand what I was learning.

>finish physics degree
>realize that i never liked physics in the first place
>remain neet for 3 years after graduation
>1/3rd of my life is wasted due to one mistake
books for this feel?

I'm an electrical engineer. It's widely considered to be the hardest major at out school (It's what our school is known for). I felt like an imposter too. I was in the same position of study the night before and get a B to A-.
Raxing rats isn't easy on the psyche, bros, but the kind of engineering they'll make you do i spiss easy. 90% of the people in your course won't even understand thermodynamics above a pop-science level, and they'll all get jobs. Most of the exams are just apply formula to get answer, unless the professor is exceptionally committed to churning out competent students of engineering.
Think of it this way. You half assed your whole way through engineering, and you still got a 3.5. At least in my major where I study, 3.5 is Cum Laude. You half assed your way into (minimum) the top quarter of your class.
Here's the thing. Most people know a lot less than you. There may be like 10-20 people in your batch that actually understand anything to any siginificant degree. most people are stupider than you. You aren't the imposter. The system doesn't care. It just wants you to participate. Now this might not be great news for you: but you're freed from cultural myths of productivity. You can pay lip service to the system, as you always have, and continue to follow your passions.
I hope I made you feel a little better. Forgive my incoherence.

>Obviously very bright. Obviously talented when it comes to physics and mathematics.
What if I’m none of those things

Luke 22:10
He [Jesus] said to them, “Behold, when you have entered the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him into the house that he enters.

Attached: Aquarius.jpg (1366x768, 343K)

I worked with an EE that was a borderline retard. He tried to write to ROM through the user interface of a product we were building (as a contract manufacturer) and bitched at the customer about it so it became a department wide spectacle. Do not underestimate yourself. You have a long ways to go to match that.

So? Just adjust the valuation.

It's vastly more employable than a pure academic one, unless he's trying to teach the subject.

I was a technician for a very long time so I saw a lot of engineers come and go. All except for the crusty old fuckers sucked ass for the first stretch of their term with us. Don't sweat this so much.

Autism, not even once.

Ask on /k/ - also checked.

I dont get it

Tony Hawk only rose to the top because his father was Frank Hawk. He was one of the few skaters of his era to have the way paved for him. He will be plagued by self-doubt forever because he knows that his peers had to bust ass double time to bridge the gap of the advantages that he had. There will always be the specter of conflict of interest within the NSA also.

Lmao just become a famous writer (use a non white pseudonym), or start a progressive YouTube channel dressing like a girl.

What country pays english teachers so well, also you surely needed to pass some exam to teach english ?

Try again, friend.

No? The opportunity would only go towards the same meme degree.

>I didn’t feel like I could be an engineer

I bet those feelings came from outside.

When I finished my degree suddenly tons of people appeared around me giving me stupid advice that would made me fail first year of college if I followed it. They saw an opportunity to hook their useless garbage onto an ongoing process. Some of them were in the same positions as me, but they did not apply themselves during college the way I did and they magically started to think their advice is valuable. Some of it was well meaning but useless regardless. Some of it the product of jealousy.

You are an engineer user. Don't let them get in your head. Your title is probably Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Carry it as a symbol of what you've accomplished. Don't let them take it away from you. Don't swallow the talk that you need X year of experience so you can call yourself a real engineer or that you need to know everything in the field on account of having the degree.

Isolate your work from other people and start loving the things that are yours. Jump straight into the next phase. You're going to figure the problems out one after another once they appear. It's never too late.

If you can't find anything then learn to code.

Attached: 1560477255473.jpg (960x460, 70K)

>just code bro xD

>just have 50 github projects bro[/code]
>just do leetcode for 3 months before applying