/thomas/ thread

> Anyone here who has, unironically, read the (whole) Summa?
> How important and useful is he today?
> Did you finish him, and what was the feeling? > Why should we read the Summa?

+ All other things related to St.Thomas.

Attached: download.jpg (350x463, 239K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newadvent.org/summa/
dhspriory.org/thomas/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

someday i will. if i ever get done with these damn greeks.

Attached: 4a1ae45dbd7b95e0bbc738b1a287122795d81a3f1abd3875e366683b09b63e1b.jpg (889x1126, 285K)

I just barely dipped my toes into it with the first two questions, but it piqued my interest. I've become curious about Christianity and Christian thought lately, and an acquaintance is really into Aquinas and was excited to hear I read a part of the Summa, so I figured a book of his selected works would be as good a place as any to start with him. It's still in the mail though.

Honestly, I've been reading the greeks for years now. Finished Plato and Aristotle in the first three months. Figured I'd follow a list posted here and make sure I got them all. That was in 2015. I'm still reading the Greeks. There's just so much. Why must I read them all? What good is it doing at this point? I'm just trying to get started! This month I'm reading Thraschiphicus the Elder and its a book of over a thousand pages where he outlines his theory about how all matter is made of grass or mud. Last month I finished the work of Aenus who wrote fragments of orphic poetry before famously dying of auto-erotic asphyxiation. Luckily that was short but the objects of his love poems were very uncomfortable. I still have yet to finish Cyribius, I'm on the fifth volume but there are nine to go, so far he's only spent several hundred pages justifying slavery between musing about the divine nature of triangles. At least its better than Porphydius the Canaanite, I had to spend the better part of a year slogging through his epic poetry about Apollo raping a sheep that then makes golden wool. The best Greek so far was probably the erotic poet Nipedes. The worst is Bocronysis, I couldn't stand his plays. There are just so many greeks. I've already ordered the Clitrysmus and the Oneads of Nicobemus. I had to specially order the Eugene for over $100. Don't even get me started on the translations of Theoxaymus. How do I stop? What have I done?

super slow goings for me, had it for 2 weeks and only made it 40 pages

Based

Unironically I’m considering a classics degree, but I mainly just read Homer and Plato

Are you guys Christian? I want to find faith. I've read Kierkegaard, Aquinas, Kant's argument for God, etc. I just don't know, lads. I could believe in a God. It seems reasonable enough. But why would this God be the Christian God? And I believe in evolution. How could I be religious if I believe in evolution? I'm not joking lads. I want to be holy.

Not to diminish your respectable readying, but you can understand the first layer of Aquinas with Plato, Aristotle, the Bible and Augustine. You have the first two down, hope you have the third down and then just read some of Augustie to get early Roman Chirstian thoughts (which are the best by the way, early devotion is beautiful)

user you don't read the summa cover to cover, the summa is like a Catholic encyclopedia - you look up things ad hoc.

Christians have totally lost sight of how fundamental refuting evolution is to maintaining the faith, so I understand you user. Evolution undermines Genesis, which is one of the most important books of the Bible not just because of its historicity but because of its critical importance in explaining the New Testament. I'm Catholic but I recommend pic related as it is orthodox and has a ton of source material you can look into in order to refute the faux science of evolution.

Attached: gen-2.jpg (500x749, 315K)

based lad.

>But why would this God be the Christian God?
Because God has already proved himself, in revelation, in philosophy as you have seen, and in things you have not seen. You have only recognized that you need God. The comfort of the sole satisfier, the transcendent source of all good: the form of the good, if you will. This was known centuries before the savior came, by the righteous preparing the way for him and for you.

Read your bible. Pray. Read the catechism of the Catholic Church, let it teach you the theological virtues and put them into practice. You will recognize grace, and maybe even act righteously, and in acting fulfill the potential God made you for.

just do it and stop making excuses you bitch.
>g-guys, i swear i want to believe, b-but i just can't be sure!
bull fucking shit, you just want to be able to masturbate for a little while more!
>i-i swear i'll convert once i get bored of m-muh dick!
don't think i don't know what you're doing because i do, you fucking cumbrain! and definitely don't think that God doesn't know! just fucking do it already and let go of your dick for fuck's sake!

Attached: 2faa94c030144493c97b91594ade4b5533a934077585abca5e0d8e01e33347e9.jpg (960x918, 53K)

>don't think i don't know what you're doing because i do, you fucking cumbrain!

Attached: moeannoyedbycumbrains.jpg (1280x720, 181K)

Lad, I haven't jerked off in a week. And I'm trying to quit it forever, so I can be more holy.

checkem for this holy roller

Holy shit, I'm gonna convert now

This, its like reading the dictionary

You must be truly blessed, user.

checked

Attached: 90b909df1ea33a7706fad3c5d0f9ab0ec65648e8c74204e386f0f366e3293434.png (1944x982, 56K)

Google the Catholic church's opinion on evolution.

If you haven't read it, Aquinas covers the reasons to believe in a trinitarian God as well as other arguments that imply a Christian God in particular. They're just independent of the five ways, which tend to monopolize discussion. Also first century Christian history, both the church fathers themselves and more recent analyses of the historicity of Christ and the authenticity of the Christian movement are good.
All roads lead to the truth.

Based

Going to get a copy of the Summa soon. Should I read it in Latin, English or both?

Can you speak Latin? It was written in Latin so there won't be anything lost in translation.

Are extracts from Summa worth it or do I have to read the whole thing? I found an extract book for 8€ on Ebay.

newadvent.org/summa/
If you want excerpts get The Shorter Summa. It was an edition he was working on before he died. Otherwise I recommend getting the whole shebang.

The Summa Theologica is not a good place to start with Aquinas and people are doing a disservice to others when they recommend it. It's not meant to be read straight through and it has different sections and they won't interest everyone. Start with either his Compendium of Theology which is a smaller version of the Summa intended for laymen or you can jump into his commentaries on Aristotle. The Summa Contra Gentiles is much more pertinent to modern philosophers because he spends more time developing his arguments.

Almost all of his works can be found in English here

dhspriory.org/thomas/

Why did Science develop in Europe, why did Europe have very little ethnic extermination after the middle ages? Because they were Catholic.