1st day of classes towards BA in Philosophy

>1st day of classes towards BA in Philosophy
>Professor: "You have entered my classroom with a closed mind; you will leave my classroom with one that is both closed and opened."
I have made a major mistake.

Attached: 837291.jpg (646x595, 42K)

>you will leave my classroom with one that is both closed and opened
what did he mean by this?

He's going to open up your mind so good using nothing but spit for lube.

He sounds like a pseud.

I had my first class yeasterday also. Absolutely hate my life. The other freshmen know so little about philosophy that they can't even be called pseuds. Literally none of the other students I talked to had EVER read a philosophy book by a philosopher, only secondary sources and high school classes. And in my uni the philosophy department is supposed to be in top 20 philosophy departments in the world. Can anyone relate to this? How can I cope?

Yeah ive been in similar situations. Be a nerdo-- become friends with the faculty. Most of my friends were (and are) the faculty. You'll learn a lot too

What were you expecting in a 100-level phil course, user?

These people are all philosophy majors that I talked to

I HOPE YOU'RE AS GOOD AT BLOWING MEN AS YOU ARE AT MONEY BECAUSE YOU'RE GOING TO BE DESTITUTE AFTER YOU GRADUATE

Just keeping getting perfect marks user, once you get to upper level courses you will long for the days when you were not the most retarded person in the room

Switch to engineering

You entered his class with a nondialetic mind and after his class you will leave with a dialectic mind. You made the right choice.

switch to business or STEM before its too late

Welcome to hell, kids.

Attached: You get used to it.png (500x281, 184K)

Yeah no. Follow your passion.
t. got his stem master yesterday and will start phil in october

That's how it works, user.

The future intellectual elite really

There's nothing wrong with deciding to major in a subject that is new to you.

No one should waste time reading original texts to start out. They're hella boring and the archaic style is grating to read. Plus they're also filled with jargon and assumed prior knowledge. School of life or crash course is unironically how someone should be introduced to philosophy before college.

people of an inferior quality have trouble with the source texts, yes, we know this already.

> School of life or crash course is unironically how someone should be introduced to philosophy before college
Go back.

List all of the philosophy texts you read before your phil 101 course. I know you're gonna lie and say you read the phenomenology of spirit in your middle school German class, but the truth is you watched a youtube video essay on your favorite pop culture media. Stop being a fake intellectual, it's cringe.

I had read
>Camus
>Plato
>Aristotle
>the Chinese Zen masters
>Chomsky
And so on.

Schlock

Is that a subreddit?

All of Nietzsche, Critique of Pure Reason, Plato's Symposium and The Republic, Leibniz Monadology + some Deleuze and marx. I read all this and more in high school, and I can't believe who make that huge of a choice as choosing to pick philosophy as your major without actually having read any real philosophy

A what?

I don't know what a subreddit is, I'm new here. I just see the term being thrown around a bit, so I'd try to look cool by throwing it around myself. I guess if I lurk a bit more I'll be able to have engaging conversations which don't just clog up the forum.

High quality post. If only all zoomer newfags were as wise and humble as you.

>BA in Philosophy
>I have made a major mistake.
no shit sherlock

should I change my major from biochem to linguistics? it's the only field that really activates my almonds anymore
>not knowing what a subreddit is
go back

You already know that there are no jobs in linguistics

Their minds will either emcompass everything on the subject or be empty.

yeah, but is pharmacy really going to matter in eight years? why not get a cushy job as a tenured linguistics professor and make fake languages for shitty fantasy shows instead?

You know that you are talking about fantasies. Turn back before it's too late

okay

Attached: 1556513270443.png (719x685, 526K)

I'm disgusted by fucking small town psueds. Big Fish little pond syndrome is massive, but I had a girl say that she didn't read philosophy because she "doesnt think abstractly". There was one dude who asks non-apliccable chemistry questions to show that he's thinking outside of the box. He only asks questions like that so he can have some shard of an intelligent conversation. But I know for a fucking fact he hasn't sat down a read a book in his life. really fucking makes me feel like I'm in the twilight zone. These dipshits either dont care or care too much about looking smart. I just want one bro to talk about Camus with, but my friends from highschool get exhausted from reading two pages. Its like I'm stuck in a weird fog of insenserity and ego. Nothing is genuine, nothing these people do is real. The only genuine thing you can do is acknowledge your own ignorance. Just fucking admit youre a dumbass and read the book anyway. FUCK

Attached: b004d34357bec421306b977817be6af6.jpg (589x378, 40K)

People go to uni to learn about topic, that they do not know much about yet, absolutely baffling.
Not everyone realizes that general education isnt good enough to learn about a topic.
Just be happy that youll probably accel at it, if you play your cards right. Who gives a fuck about how retarded the others are.

That it would be arrogant of him, the professor, to claim he could open anyone's mind fully.

Generally speaking I would say it's wise to avoid viewing education as a set of cheat codes for life, or anything like that. Professors and people who review your work aren't there to tell you the exact changes you need to make to be a perfect person or write a perfect paper; they're there to help you do it yourself. Someone who offers good critique knows that there's more to life than taking it verbatim.