Is there a piece of literature that has caused more damage than pic related? Post some books/literature that have...

Is there a piece of literature that has caused more damage than pic related? Post some books/literature that have. We could have been so much more advanced if we embraced science instead of this meme book.

- It purports that Evolution is false (a fact)
- Some meme deity created the universe instead of the Big Bang
- Purports that miracles are like totally real guys

Attached: bible.jpg (760x506, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hospitals
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Revolution
youtube.com/watch?v=dLrMVous0Ac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

none of those things even matter in the grand scheme of things compared to the charity work and tangible positive effects it has in peoples lives. countless homeless and drug addicts have become productive citizens through churches and religions. try interacting with the real world instead of forming your worldview through internet rhetoric, big guy

Science! Fuck yeah!

>- It purports that Evolution is false (a fact)
yep
lets post some good books about science

who cares tho
whether anybody believes evolution is real or not isn't going to lower my taxes or reduce the drug addicts in my neighborhood

The history of hospitals has stretched over 2500 years, starting with precursors in the Ascelpian temples in ancient Greece and then the military hospitals in ancient Rome, though no civilian hospital existed in the Roman empire until the Christian period.[1] Towards the end of the 4th century, the "second medical revolution"[2] took place with the founding of the first Christian hospital in the eastern Byzantine Empire by Basil of Caesarea, and within a few decades, such hospitals had become ubiquitous in Byzantine society.[3]

Thus in-patient medical care in the sense of what we today consider a hospital, was an invention driven by Christian mercy and Byzantine innovation.[21]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hospitals

Anyway I'm gonna start posting some books

Attached: 71UtlN4QfUL.jpg (1256x2026, 210K)

you've never read that

I have

You haven't thats why you don't believe in evolution lmao

Attached: 71zvVlLUGFL.jpg (1474x2200, 251K)

The history professor Peter Harrison attributes Christianity to having contributed to the rise of the Scientific Revolution:

historians of science have long known that religious factors played a significantly positive role in the emergence and persistence of modern science in the West. Not only were many of the key figures in the rise of science individuals with sincere religious commitments, but the new approaches to nature that they pioneered were underpinned in various ways by religious assumptions. ... Yet, many of the leading figures in the scientific revolution imagined themselves to be champions of a science that was more compatible with Christianity than the medieval ideas about the natural world that they replaced.[17]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Revolution

>post good books about science
got you OP

Attached: 71sYX5mS4kL.jpg (1191x1848, 162K)

I mean I get something except burning Giordano Bruno

Based

I dont think the Bible is infallible.
Finding an error or multiple errors doesnt automatically mean everything else in it must be an error also.
It doesnt mean it is completely devoid of any value, wisdom, or spiritual truth just because there are errors or falsehoods as well.

fake christian memer god is not infallible

Prove it

dude you're the christian. dont you believe that he is omniscient

It's funny that the only take-away some people have of the Bible are its cosmological postulates. The reason for this, I believe, is that they read it from within a scientific discourse which means that they come to regard it as a lesser alternative to science, as an inherently failed system. Rarely is it understood as an ethical document and much rarer is it understood as an historical document.

Also, I really have to disagree with point number 2, obviously the big bang didn't cause the universe as it did not cause itself. That is like saying that it was the glass which spilled the water, rather than the hand which knocked over the glass.

I'm not really religious, but you are wrong and ungrateful of western culture, when you say such a thing: "Is there a piece of literature that has caused more damage" (look at only all the works the Bible inspired).

> It purports that Evolution is false (a fact)
- Are you looking for explanation of quantum mechanics in Homer? Look, Evolution, as a theory, was nowhere near at the time the Bible was written. So, of course, It doesn't talk about it in these terms, instead, it purports that man was created in the image of God and that he is free. Not saying that the Christians invented morality or such a thing, but, look in history on what the differences were and how the world was viewed. It used to be: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth law. Christians were some of the people that changed this (whether or not we think if it's for the better or not). Without Christianity, there wouldn't be secular humanism.

> Some meme deity created the universe instead of the Big Bang
- You are disrespectful as dishonest to call a God "meme deity" in which: Leonardo, Galileo, Newton, Leibniz, Bruno and countless others believed. Also, the idea of a God is logically sound with the Big Bang. Do you know how this theory came to be? St. Augustine (a Christian) proposed in the 4th-5th century that the world/universe was created ex nihilo (out of nothing). Then, in the 20th century, a Christian priest and scientist: Georges Lemaître proposed the actual idea of the Big Bang and the expansion of the Universe.

> Purports that miracles are like totally real guys
How do you know that miracles are not real? Though, it does depend how we will define miracle. If, say, you would have your phone on which you can read works like Plato and so on, and went to ancient Greece, regular people would call this device to be miraculous or some kind of wonder.

I'm not saying that Christianity is necessarily the only right religion, nor am I saying who is right, HOWEVER, I'm saying that you are wrong OP. You want to throw away Western thought to suit your propaganda image of a rational humanity who doesn't have a history.

Blame the wicked who used the church for their own gain, not the book itself.

The only good thing Christianity has done is breed more empathy through the teachings of Christ. The rest of it is worthless. Even Genesis is stupid.

>Even Genesis is stupid
>Even Genesis
Would you expect Genesis to be particularly unstupid?

Do you believe in the miracles in the bible?

Look at this brainlet and laugh.

He's right though

> Do you believe in the miracles in the bible?
The very first thing I said in my post was:
"I'm not really religious..." , though I wouldn't call myself atheist or agnostic either. I believe in Taoism, the genuine religious experience and science.

However, why would this (my belief) be of any importance, or an argument? Isn't the whole secular atheist thing: "Science is true, it doesn't matter what you believe in?"

My bad. I didn't see that part. Just curious. What does it mean in the Tao Te Ching when they said Darkness within darkness.
The gateway to all understanding"

>- Some meme deity created the universe instead of the Big Bang

lol you fucking ignorant.

do some research, the Big Bang theory is a theory proposed by a Catholic Priest. The whole research to support that theory was backed up by the church.

>muh evolution.

Again, check out who is the parent of modern genetics. Yeah is a priest.

But the bible is against evolution

It is more accurate to say that evolution is against Genesis.

where?

also evolution is just an interpretation of natural selection.

Attached: 1448772459279.png (1251x585, 181K)

>It is more accurate to say that evolution is against Genesis.

They believe that though

>natural selection.

they think we didnt come from monkeys

>wtf vikings won't let me copy my christian books 100000 times
>muh knowledge of bible pilpul
>muh progress
Pathetic.

>no Communist Manifesto in thread
Wew lads

>muh blonde beast homoerotic fantasy
>forever an incel

Attached: nhorse.jpg (500x401, 53K)

> Just curious. What does it mean in the Tao Te Ching when they said Darkness within darkness. The gateway to all understanding"

There are different way to interpret it. Here's one, it is the same thing/concept as in chapter one (pic for chapter one):

Surprisingly for some similar ideas in western culture and literature, look no further than Goethe. These two are, perhaps, more "direct" examples of what is meant by "darkness within darkness":

"Empiriker: Dass ihr den sichersten Pfad gewählt, wer möchte leugnen? / Aber ihr tappet nur blind auf dem gebahntesten Pfad"

(My) Translation:
"Empiricists: Who is to doubt that you have chosen the safest way? But, you only came blindly [as in:only grope in the dark] on the most trodden path"

AND

"Analytiker: Ist denn die Wahrheit ein Zwiebel, von dem man die Häute nur abschält? / Was ihr hinein nicht gelegt, ziehet ihr nimmer heraus"

(My) Translation
"Analytical thinkers: Is the truth but an onion, from which we only peel off layers? / That, which you yourself haven't put, you will never pull out"

It's like, say, suppose you knew everything about the human mind/brain there is to know, but by this knowledge alone, do you know what it feels like to have a conscious mind? However, by thinking and contemplating about this (darkness within darkness), we might get a clue to solving it or coming closer to the truth.

Attached: Screenshot_2.png (434x279, 43K)

>Marked decrease of religiousness in Christian countries.
>Coincides with progress in those countries.

How do Christians explain this?

Attached: 4A377120-25E4-401D-ADFF-9DAC64513EB6.jpg (326x450, 36K)

Whenever I read 'darkness within darkness'. I always assume it means 'nothingness', as if this reality is to be stripped away.

do you know what it feels like to have a conscious mind? However, by thinking and contemplating about this (darkness within darkness), we might get a clue to solving it or coming closer to the truth.

So meta cognition?

It might or might not have been overall harmful, but there should be no doubt it anyoned mind that the Quran is the most destructive book that has ever existed. Genocider of nations, destroyer of cultures, ruiner of science. This is what the Quran is and what it has led to.

>Marked decrease of religiousness in Christian countries.
>Coincides with progress in those countries.

both coincides with the discovery of the americas, there is where modernity begins. Found a land rich of resources and knowledge (like rubber, industrial revolution would not be possible without rubber). They forgot about God, or invent nosenses like protestantism.

but now.. where are those countries going ?.

> I always assume it means 'nothingness'
Well, the Dao is, in a way, nothingness, However, it's not nothingness and lack of knowledge, in a bad sense in chapter 11, Lao Tzu writes (pic related):

Watts' talk on this isn't bad either.
youtube.com/watch?v=dLrMVous0Ac

Attached: Screenshot_9.png (567x196, 43K)

So nothingness led way to creation, which is why we are alive here now. For God to understand himself. I'm not watching Watts because he is a druggie hippie and I'm not interested in that, more into hardcore liberation metaphysics myself. Taoism is a great philosophy to follow.

>
>It is more accurate to say that evolution is against the literalist interpretation of Genesis.
FTFY

unironically this one. The middle east and north africa used to be christian and there is a reason they aren't now.

Attached: Koran.png (237x218, 37K)

Also, the cult of prgress will never concede that what we are seeing is likely not progress at all. Oh your harddrive holds more GBs? Must be better. Most people don't agree and younger men are checking themselves out of this progress faster than every before, but must be just peachy.

Catholic opinion means nothing

Attached: 1566051923682.gif (711x664, 79K)

no it doesn't. a very substantial amount of theists believe in evolution. if you're going to parry that by taking a jab at Genesis then you'll be jumping into an arena of Jewish theologians(that's who you're actually attacking btw, so take it to your local Rabbi instead of wielding pop-sci facts on a literature board) who will be quick to tell you not to take the Torah so literally, and probably recc some reading that you're not actually going to do because you aren't actually interested the way you pretend to be because the idea that evolution and Judeo-Christian beliefs don't conflict then you won't have anywhere to vent your superiority-complex-infused teenage angst.
>- Some meme deity created the universe instead of the Big Bang
not falsifiable so its not worth a response. a mechanical approach in the study of an event ensures a mechanical understanding of it. says nothing at all of the mechanic.
>- Purports that miracles are like totally real guys
this is actually a very interesting topic when your puberty hormones aren't fist-fucking your frontal lobe. revisit it in a couple years.
its a strange world, and that could be really cool if you weren't so edgy.