People who "knows everything" about philosophy

How did you go about learning it? Where did you start? Writing it in steps would be appreciated.

I have started reading philosophy right now, and am thinking about reading at least the greeks first.

Attached: 800wm.jpg (618x800, 223K)

Other urls found in this thread:

readthesequences.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

(1/2) i started reading literature generally first and then got into kierkegaard at some point. he was my first philosopher, and the writer who got me into philosophy.

after that, I read a general overview of the history of philosophy (I think I read the one by bryan magee), which was quite useful, just to see the broad strokes from an otherwise daunting history.

i started reading from the greeks from here and have been going through the canon chronologically ever since; I'm about up to nietzsche strictly speaking but i've read several texts around the edges (e.g. I've read quite a bit of analytic phil + very modern philosophy) + secondary literature here and there so I have a good footing.

my tips would be to start with the greeks but skip reading all the auxillary stuff such as the iliad etc etc. UNLESS you already have that internal impetus to read them anyways. i wouldn't read them for the sake of learning philosophy. just start with plato + aristotle

it is completely okay to not understand shit early on, I imagine you'll read pages and pages without understanding anything. that is okay, and the sooner you learn that the better. a lot of people will tell you to read slowly as fuck so you can understand everything but fuck that. you have to learn how to think philosophically and that comes with experience. each philosopher you read will change the way you think, they'll revamp concepts you thought were set in stone, and it'll be difficult. but don't worry, keep going, the pages and pages of stuff you won't understand won't stop the flashes of understanding that will appear every now and then (much like reading poetry). my best tip for understanding shit is to try your best to understand the problems that philosophers pose first and foremost. these concepts that philosophers create don't pre-exist, they have to be created, but why? every concept has a problem as its corollary, without which it would cease to make sense. it is your job to find this problem, and then the concepts will start to make more sense

once you've read plato and aristotle you can go on to the stoics, epicureans, neoplatonists, or scholastics. the stoics and epicureans are good reads, especially if you're interested in the question of how one should live their life. but the neoplatonists and scholastics can get a bit more obtuse; I would skip for later on unless you already have a vested interest or you have an interest in theology, in which I would recommend to read the scholastics (don't forget islamic phil as well as christian phil)

from there it gets a lot more straightforward, you read the rationalists and empiricists

descartes --> spinoza --> leibniz

locke --> berkeley --> hume

though desu I would recommend just reading some stanford article on locke instead of reading him because he takes 700 pages to talk about the simplest ideas in the most frustrating prose. in any case, here's where you will start to really develop as a philosopher

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-19 18-51-28.png (432x175, 21K)

(2/2)
things start to click, ideas start to make more sense, you'll get better at picking out the problems that philosophers pose, you'll start seeing everyday things in the terms of philosophers. and then once you're done with these guys, you read kant! kant will be the most difficult philosopher to read but by this point you will be well equipped to deal with him compared to people who try to read kant raw. after him you go on to the german idealists who, likewise, will be easier to read since you've read all this other stuff already.

of course, you do not have to read everything strictly and chronologically though. keep this as a base route but feel free to jump around, read stuff from random philosophers, read some schopenhauer, read some sellars, read whoever interests you. but it's good to have a basis for yourself, philosophers often refer to each other, and reading a lot of early philosophy will teach you how to philosophise which is an underrated aspect of reading all that stuff. but I don't want you to have to force yourself and slog through works you find extremely boring; of course you should push yourself outside of your comfort zone and try difficult texts (aristotle will give you a run for your money) but if you're finding something dry, try something else for a while and come back to it!

the more you read, the more you'll figure out what interests you, and then you can go on to read whatever you want. maybe at some point you will start writing philosophy yourself, posing interesting problems and creating concepts. reading all these philosophers is simply your apprenticeship

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-23 20-55-34.png (544x151, 21K)

just to make the idea of figuring out the problems philosophers pose more concrete

a small example would be something like descarte's cogito... why does he create this concept of the self? the problem he poses is that he challenges any objective presupposition towards truth that is made (sense data, for example) and so he needs to create a concept that presupposes nothing objective but which truth can be determined as pure subjective certainty

hence the cogito. i think therefore i am. without seeing this problem first, the cogito is a floating solution. people arguing about the cogito without first seeing this problem are talking nonsense

its like this for all philosophical concepts, sometimes philosophers will make them very explicit, and sometimes not so much. but figuring them out makes things 10000% easier

>Where did you start?
Pic related

readthesequences.com/

Attached: Rationality.jpg (344x499, 44K)

my suggestion is to stay way from anything greek. they were misogynistic thus nothing they have ever said is worth reading about

Read Sophie's World, and don't ever tell anyone.

Decent content on lit, what a shock

I just don't think it's for everyone. I'm elitist because I've devoted my life to it but I make a very hard distinction between people who "make use of" philosophy and philosophers. The vast majority of people who think they are philosophers are just making use of some philosophy that suits their preconceptions, whether those are moral, political, aesthetic, scientific, or religious views. For me, being interested in philosophy means being interested in metaphysics and epistemology as such, and that means at least a decade of digging and acclimating yourself in existing traditions to develop your own standpoint, and refine your own consciousness to the point that it's even capable of a standpoint.

Along the way to that level of competence are a million pitfalls and cul-de-sacs that most people will fall into, for various reasons. Those people can be good "social theorists" or art historians, I guess, but they aren't philosophers.

99% of Western philosophy is trash. I am honestly better than most Western philosopher.

The only thing I know is that I know nothing.

Attached: No thank you, no founding fathers or enlightment bullshit for me..jpg (572x590, 84K)

Attached: there-nothing-more-deceptne-than-an-obvious-bait-20002110.png (500x523, 66K)

They read secondary literature instead of reading and trying to interpret a bunch of dense primary literature.

Thanks so much, this is great stuff. I am definitely not skipping neoplatonists though, I am hugely fond of theology.

I am not necessarily trying to become a philosopher though. I am also hugely interested in sociology and psychology, and am hoping to work in either of the fields some time. Using philosophy, or having a philosophical approach to social theory doens't sound like a bad idea to me.

no worries

if you're wanting to read neoplatonists definitely definitely pay extra attention while reading plato's Parmenides as that will be the basis that the neoplatonists build off of for the most part. it is the most difficult plato text by far and the neoplatonists are similarly no joke. give it a go but come back to it later if it's too obtuse, it gets easier

Barely anyone knows anything. Be very careful in who you take your advice from.

Holy shit this is the best advice I've read, how come I haven't seen it before now

This. You only have to read the letters too if you want. After that you have a pretty good basis in western Phil and can pick up whichever area you're interested in from there.

I have found that people get into philosophy naturally, through one of these routes:

- religion and the nature of God: this leads to questions about ethics and epistemology

- science: once you get deep into physics and math it leads to questions of logic and metaphysics.

- literature: after studying literature people are led to aesthetics ethics and understanding the good.

if you are not already asking these kinds of questions it's unlikely philosophy will be important to you or change you in anyway. people who learn philosophy without prior motivation become neckbears quoting Wikipedia articles without any real understanding

Those people usually are of three kinds: those who read all the greeks; those who read all the "early moderns" and enlightenment thinkers; and those who've read all the 20th century past madernasts

you start with greek philosophy first

i would recommend:

lives and opinions of eminent philosophers, plato's apology and then the rest of plato's works

Attached: 5.jpg (1067x1600, 122K)

Plato states several times that women should have equal rights and that by not allowing them to pursue careers societies were kneecapping themselves by only allowing 50% of their population to be productive.
I think you're baiting but I can never be sure with you retarded tripfags. Hope you're still seething about being BTFO about Catalonia.

I was a special needs kid when I was high school. it was philosophy that got me to read

They're ALL pseuds. Every single one of them. There is too much philosophy to read in one lifetime. Even if you were to only stick to the significant philosophical works, it would take you DECADES to read all of them. We're talking hundreds upon hundreds of works here.

>t. brainlet who either got stonewalled by parmenides/organon or tried to jump directly into kant/hegel
It’s okay to admit that you gave up, user

I have a M.A. in philosophy, fellow pseud. Everyone pretends, even the profs. Go to any conference and you will see how the speakers dodge half the questions.

Some random faculty =/= the all time greats, and it sounds like you’re just burnt out

>societies were kneecapping themselves by only allowing 50% of their population to be productive.

Letting them work is a hundred times worse than not letting them work, lmao. Just look around.

How the fuck do you remember every philosopher and what they thought? Its impossible without dedicating yourself to this abstract shit, and I dont have time for that with a 40 hour work week nor interest..

Chads just read wiki whenever they need a basic gestalt, this is just absurd

>I just don't think it's for everyone. I'm elitist because I've devoted my life to it but I make a very hard distinction between people who "make use of" philosophy and philosophers.
In fact, it's not for everyone, the same as gastronomy is not for everyone, some people don't care about cooking. Or do you mean inate capabilities? If so, i hardly disagree and you say that you spent years studying you're also disagreeing with that sentence
Another thing is: is it really necessary to be a philosopher to want to study philosophy? Is being a philosopher a inatr thing or something that you learn over the years? It doesn't seem logical to treat reading philosophy for some objetive, like being one philosopher. Appreciating philosophy isn't like appreciating art? If so, to be a full art appreciator do you need to also be an artist?

Are you really an elitist or are you saying that it's a long path?

Get a load of this pseud lmao

Attached: 1560932202192.png (600x600, 664K)

Start with studying the history of philosophy briefly, then study rhizomatically or chronologically.

You don’t necessarily remember every single argument, you immerse yourself in the text and maybe some supplemental material until you have a good feel for the overarching themes that a given work is trying to explore. It’s not about memorizing answers so much as exploring concepts, I take the same view of it as Socrates. We’re unlikely to reach certain answers but the process itself is valuable.

>I want to know about philosophy
>I'm not that interested in philosophy
Eh?