Am I a pleb or Faust is overrated as fuck? It's such a mess with all the ellipses and tone changes

Am I a pleb or Faust is overrated as fuck? It's such a mess with all the ellipses and tone changes.
I've read a translation to be fair but still, I just couldn't get into it.
Should I read Faust II?

Attached: Faust.jpg (678x800, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UniXSQYJd-k
youtube.com/watch?v=Afqy_QPZlTw
youtube.com/watch?v=UegqnUU9I18
youtube.com/watch?v=KXctarOxRz8
youtube.com/watch?v=mGpdeqknso4
youtube.com/watch?v=APf4JXlbGfI
youtube.com/watch?v=UF42MOzgyMA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Faust is a play user
Reading it is a suboptimal experience.

I read it in german and can assure you it is even more abysmal in Goethes native tongue. The rhyming gives it a very childish tone and the execution of the faustian theme is underwhelming. Goethe was simply a lustling, nothing more.

Goethe's Faust was made for being read.

I mean, sure, but when I read Shakespeare or Molière I see the genius behind it. Faust was really disappointing, both in the story and the language department.

Yeah, underwhelming is the word.

If you disliked the first part, the second part is even more complicated

I didn't disliked the first part because of the difficulty though, but because of the weird narrative choices and the underwhelming prose.
If the second part is better in these regards then perhaps I should try it.

Es irrt der Mensch, solang' er strebt.

Translation or german? Keep in mind that the english language is massivly lacking to the german on. So a very complex and beautiful german sentance can become very basic when translated.

Attached: 16708238_168824203618164_3059178278176023092_n.jpg (960x730, 74K)

I'm French so I read a french translation, maybe some day I'll try an English translation.

I don't know user, most things in theater script form bore me to tears, even Shakespeare is a struggle to read I just watch them.
Some Greeks are alright but I had a highschool history teacher who made us read Greek plays, so maybe I'm just used to it.

Which edition, how are the reviews? Not all are equal.

The GF (Garnier Frères) edition, so a pretty solid one with a lot of endnotes and scholar insights.
I think you have to play the characters in your head, that's what I do anyway and it's quite enjoyable.

Germanfag here, I found Faust I to be a lot better than II. It's by far the best piece of literature I've read in German.

When talking about Gothe, why do people only talk about Faust? Where is all the love for this cuck boy?

Attached: beta.jpg (900x900, 303K)

Werther was the original Harry Potter

you're a pleb. next?

>he fell for the Sturm und Drang meme

>Am I being fair on Goethe if I read him in translation

NO YOU FUCKING NONCE

tbf its a pretty damn good meme

youtube.com/watch?v=UniXSQYJd-k

Attached: 60887-004-31FF910F.jpg (233x350, 10K)

The original beta.

Part I was enjoyable part II is a horror show, the difficulty curve is real, I mean what the fuck.

pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=Afqy_QPZlTw
youtube.com/watch?v=UegqnUU9I18
youtube.com/watch?v=KXctarOxRz8
youtube.com/watch?v=mGpdeqknso4
youtube.com/watch?v=APf4JXlbGfI
youtube.com/watch?v=UF42MOzgyMA

Attached: PAPA.jpg (270x360, 9K)

One of the great pieces of literature, once in a lifetime experience. I feel sorry for you.