What is his magnum opus? Where do I start?What do I think about him?

What is his magnum opus? Where do I start?What do I think about him?

Attached: Dickens_Gurney_head.jpg (814x1190, 141K)

David Copperfield is a good one. You can see where Tolstoy ripped off loads of characters

The only one to avoid is Old Curiosity Shop, all the rest is good. Remember he's a comedian and satirist not a serious Realist novelist and you'll be fine

>What is his magnum opus
Bleak House
>Where do I start?
A Christmas Carol or Great Expectations

>What do I think about him?
For all the acclaim he's achieved, he's still somehow underrated.

>he's still somehow underrated.
If he was Spanish or Italian something Yea Forums would meme him like hell

Pickwick Papers

Why avoid it? Is it cringe/sneed?

A Tale of Two Cities is the only novel that made me shed a manly tear

Tbh I find him hard to read with his 100+ word sentences

That's because you're an idiot. I'm not just being inflammatory either, I actually mean it. You've rotted your brain out with young adult garbage.

>For all the acclaim he's achieved, he's still somehow underrated.
There’s just a huge disparity in quality between his best and worst works. Your attitude towards him really depends on which ones you give your attention.

what are his worst works then?

The Old Curiosity Shop, Oliver Twist, Great Expectations with the happy ending.

why are they bad?

did he write just fanfic about poors or something else?

what spanish or italians get memed? paulo cohelo?

not enough cucking

Pickwick Papers is absolute trash. Great Expectations at least has some resemblance of structure to it. But it's still sentimental trash.

>Pickwick Papers is absolute trash

Attached: B3_Blade_001_Green_Tiger__35158.1449525614.1280.1280.jpg (647x673, 166K)

I tried reading it, but 20 pages in I had no idea what was going on. Someone got butthurt because of Pickwick noting his anectdote, they are traveling around England for some reason? I just knew I couldn't stand 1000 pages of that shit
By the way, I read David Copperfield today, and the whole story was just a mess to me. There was no coherent plot or goal to the whole thing, just a blob of events that occured, it's like a biography, but it's by a fake character so it doesn't even make sense. Why is this considered a masterpiece, exactly?

You're legitimately dumb.

im sorry to say it but its boring slog, its not worth the time investment. And yea i read all of it.

Tell me what makes DC so great of a novel. It's just a basic biography of a Victorian dude

I have no interest in talking to you or hearing what you have to say.

Tolstoy wrote, “If you sift the world’s prose literature, Dickens will remain; sift Dickens, David Copperfield will remain; sift David Copperfield, the description of the storm at sea will remain.”
>The tremendous sea itself, when I could find sufficient pause to look at it, in the agitation of the blinding wind, the flying stones and sand, and the awful noise, confounded me. As the high watery walls came rolling in, and, at their highest, tumbled into surf, they looked as if the least would engulf the town. As the receding wave swept back with a hoarse roar, it seemed to scoop out deep caves in the beach, as if its purpose were to undermine the earth. When some white-headed billows thundered on, and dashed themselves to pieces before they reached the land, every fragment of the late whole seemed possessed by the full might of its wrath, rushing to be gathered to the composition of another monster. Undulating hills were changed to valleys, undulating valleys (with a solitary storm-bird sometimes skimming through them) were lifted up to hills; masses of water shivered and shook the beach with a booming sound; every shape tumultuously rolled on, as soon as made, to change its shape and place, and beat another shape and place away; the ideal shore on the horizon, with its towers and buildings, rose and fell; the clouds fell fast and thick; I seemed to see a rending and upheaving of all nature

in my abridged version (283 pages, I didn't know it was abridged) that passage wasn't there. neither was what happened to steerforth or emily/ham in there, i kept wondering what the epilogue would say but they just weren't there. maybe that's why I disliked it?

>its boring slog
Fuck man. You didn't even find it funny?

What is the consensus on Dickens around here?

I feel more interested in reading Eliot and Hardy?

Attached: 3.jpg (388x576, 103K)

bump

Ignore this

bump

>What is the consensus on Dickens around here?
Reading the abridged edition it seems
>Hardy
There's a couple of Hardybros around. Think he's massively underrated by Yea Forums. In many ways the British Faulkner, and one of the few writers who mastered poetry and prose

Couldn't possibly be due to different tastes.

No. Not at all.

That xmas story

If something is too difficult for you then that isn't simply a taste issue.

Really? Like whomsts?

The obvious one is Count Rostov and his wife are the Micawbers, but as Russian aristocrats, their personalities, the dynamic between them

Not for most part, but that may be because I have read lots and f P G Woodhouse who I just find to be better in every way when I came to that type of comedy.

Tale of Two Cities is his magnum opus. Don't start there though.

why not?

No idea, I'd say it was a perfect place to start, that or Oliver Twist. It's great, and shorter than his usual doorstoppers so not as big an investment