Why yes, I am open to Christianity, I just currently lack the faith but would be happy to hear your arguments friend :)

>why yes, I am open to Christianity, I just currently lack the faith but would be happy to hear your arguments friend :)
>*dies*
>OH NO NO NO I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD TO BELIEVE AND ACCEPT CHRIST TO BE ACCEPTED INTO HEAVEN, I WISH I WASN'T SUCH A FAGNOSTIC NOW, I WISH I WASN'T SO PRIDEFUL I REJECTED JESUS BASED ON SOME "LACK OF EVIDENCE" OH NO NO NO NO I'M GOING TO SUFFER FOREVER
Remember anons, you know not the hour. Stop seeking the truth and just have faith. Get baptised and confess before it's too late.
God loves you.

Attached: 1563575839585.jpg (828x630, 555K)

Other urls found in this thread:

traditionalcatholicpriest.com/2018/01/20/remorse-damned-st-alphonsus/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not lit, reported

Stop larping athiest scum.
Report and ignore

Threads like these unironically push me away from christianity

God loves those who seek the truth

granted they're baptised and aren't in a state of mortal sin
otherwise they go to hell forever

Made me chuckle.

>pull out after to avoid cumming in my wife
>don't regret it in the slightest
>get sent to hell forever
Wtf bros

it's okay granted you truly feel repentful and confess
just don't die on the way to confession or you'll go to hell forever
maybe try moving next door to your church

>Implying God would actually send anyone to heck and it wasn't just a bluff to fool amorals into doing the right thing out of fear

But I didn't regret it in the slightest. It would be a complete lie in the face of God to claim that I felt guilty for having sex with my wife. Mm maybe there is an explanation to God that doesn't require me to sire 17 children...

This, God loves me no matter what I do

>not even referencing the bible...
how is this Yea Forums related?

It’s not. Just another sad lost man thinking this board can provide him answers

Because the larping atheist behind the thread wants you to

>Jesus gets literally asked what to do to go to heaven
>Don't even have to follow or recognize god, just follow commandments 4 through 8 plus love thy neighbor and live an ascetic life with Jesus while giving your wealth to the poor.

Sorry to hear all those mega church baptists aren't going to heaven after all.

Yep.
These people will have to answer to why they turned people away from God.
I wish they knew how damaging their hate was

paul would disagree

>Bible thumping minister in his mansions burns forever
>Buddhist monk gets to talk zen with Christ

Top fucking kek.

>Paul's words on attaining salvation
>The literal word of Jesus Christ on how to get through the Pearly Gates
Who's words lead to Heaven user? A dude or God's?

I bet Jesus has some great loans to share

*koans

I can’t figure your post out from your wording. Are you saying that Jesus preached literal antinomianism? Or just that mega church pastors are doing a disservice by focusing too much on law instead of gospel, thus scaring people away from the faith by reinstating a kind of neonomianism or making it appear as if we’re still under an old covenant type of deal?

This is so much comfier than the Christianity I'm familiar with. I wish that such a variant could gain prominence, and I'm sure many "atheists" would be charmed by it, and try to follow it.

The only time Jesus gets directly asked 'How do I go to heaven' is Matthew 19:16-22.

If you want eternal life don't murder, commit adultery, steal bear false witness, honor your parents and live your neighbor as yourself.

On top of that you have to sell your possessions, give the money to the poor and go be with Christ.

That's it user. Follow the laws that also apply to secular natures and become an ascetic that works towards being with Christ and BAM, heaven is yours.

It's not antinomianism, it is anti-neonomianism though. Commandments 4-8 and golden rule with some asceticism is all you need according to the literal word of Christ.

And yet lots of Christians bitch about secular humanism not being a thing despite Jesus literally saying you don't need commandment 1.

what about baptism?

Pretty sure Jesus, if he had to be tied to a sect of Jews would probably been closest to the Essenes.

Where is the quote of someone literally asking Jesus "What exactly do I need to go to heaven?" and him replying "ya gotta dunk your head and say my name."

Reminder that faith for the purposes of securing a good afterlife is a paper thin basis for belief. Even if there were no afterlife, it would still be right and necessary to believe in God. Stop spreading this nonsense.

This seems like a good outcome, all things considered

Paul is not just "a dude", he was selected personally for ministry outside of Jerusalem, and to balance Peter's shortsightedness

It’s a ritual
It begins your connection to God, it’s not the ultimate ideal for finding salvation.
Catholics say a lot of good stuff but their insistence on pouring some water over ones head and saying holy words as being the ultimate metaphysical truth really harms their thought

>Jesus literally saying you don't need commandment 1.
gnostic/agnostic confusedfag here, where is basis for this I just want to move on in life and this would be pretty sweet affirmation

>Stop spreading this nonsense.
But your lord spread it himself. He was the one who said that people will suffer eternally if they don't suck his cock.
As an atheist I find the doctrine of hell to be quite scary since there's that very thin chance that I'm wrong. What utterly evil god would provide no evidence for himself and leave a book which makes false claims only to then torture me for not accepting him? If you're going to threaten me with ETERNAL torture at least show yourself to me so that I can avoid it without sacrificing my reasoning faculties.

Even Christians might benefit from such an edit of their religion, given that the focus on compassion and asceticism are the very areas which they lack in, while their fixation on the concept of God actually ends up eroding the former - in the first case, their resentment towards individuals who don't share their beliefs about God, and in the second, their power-hunger born from the need to enforce their ideology onto as many as possible, thus leading to worldly ascent rather than worldly withdrawal. I'm not even claiming the above variant of Christianity you mentioned to be the "correct" one, just that many people who currently rebel against Christianity would likely have little issue with it if that were the form it took.

>Paul is not just "a dude",
In comparison to the literal word of God he is. You can say divine inspiration all you want but we have Jesus being asked directly how to get into heaven (Mathew 19:16) and he gives a direct answer (19:17 and 19:21). Christ even gives further clarification on which commandments are important to follow (19:18).

Meant to say "many Christians", since not all of them fall for these trappings, but a lot of them do.

Just move on user.
God has led me to as many Hindu yogis as he has Christian saints.
I too for so long had so much trouble seeing how much he (gender is not a good term to use here but oh well) loves us all loves us all so much user. You’re literally bringing me to tears typing this, the love is right there waiting for you. You keep fighting it until he grabs you i his arms and holds you in tears saying: “my child I AM who loves you”

Please your fight won’t be over in a day. Just stop fighting. The universe is just trying to hug you.

Did you even read his post?

Attached: (you).jpg (179x252, 8K)

>But your lord spread it himself. He was the one who said that people will suffer eternally if they don't suck his cock.
Edgelord phrasing aside, where exactly is this said?

>What utterly evil god would provide no evidence for himself
this is a big claim, depends what you mean by evidence, but I'm almost positive you're not ready for that conversation

>book which makes false claims
Such as? Please keep in mind that only braindead Protestants tend to be Biblical literalists, and I'm not in the business of defending their nonsense. If you understand the historical and literary context of certain texts (like the multiple creation accounts in Genesis for example) and still choose to take them literally, thats on you.

>show yourself to me so that I can avoid it without sacrificing my reasoning faculties
No one is asking you to sacrifice your reason, most serious theology treats reason as one of the highest gifts from God.

As I said in the passage has someone directly asking Christ which commandments need to be followed. He responds with five through nine and then adds on the famous 'love thy neighbor as you love yourself' edict. He outright recognizes that commandments one, two, three, four and ten are not required.

Asked by whom? An already observant Jew. Stop trying to lead people away from God.

Why are you so scared user?

>That’s it user. Follow the laws
That is the exact opposite of what’s going on in that part of Matthew 19.

The young man asks ‘the good teacher’ how to enter heaven and Jesus responds “Why do you call me good? ONLY GOD is good”. Immediately after the young man makes the bold claim that he has kept the entire 10 commandments since he was a boy, thus rejecting Jesus’s claim “ONLY GOD is good” by raising himself to the level of God, thus breaking the first commandment, ye shall have no other Gods.

Jesus then gives him those arbitrary commandments and tells him to follow him like you said and the boy immediately TURNS AWAY SADDENED, proving the point that he can’t do the good even when it’s spoken to him directly face to face with God.

Review the passage again:
“Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” 17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 “Which ones?” he inquired. Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’” 20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.”

You are reading the scripture like a dirty old legalist. Sadly alot of people do, and they never come to understand the actual gospel of the new Covenant.

And to add on, this also leads to the showing that it's action towards fellow man that matters since 5-9 are all of the 'don't fuck with other people' commandments while 1-3+10 are all wrong think ones and 4 was impractical.

This comment was meant for

literally no point following this shit
nobody can agree on what's right or wrong even within the religion
i've already accepted i'm going to hell with this nonsense

>Be observant jew following all the 613 commandments
>Ask Christ what gets me into heaven.
>He says follow the commandments
>Ask which specific ones?
>Gives me a specific answer (5-9 plus love they neighbour) then says I need to also sell my material possessions, donate the money and come with him

Can you not read, user? Has the devil stolen your sight?

>tells him to follow him like you said and the boy immediately TURNS AWAY SADDENED
He's not saddened because of getting his ego popped, it's because God is telling the boy to forsake the material for the spiritual but he is but human and locked into a material existence he is doing well in only to be told to give it all away.

You're twisting the words.

You're a false teacher. John 14 utterly explodes your false doctrine. You're a child of Hell seeking to lead others astray from faith in God.

The devil is in you.

fuck all this shit honestly
don't even care about going to heaven anymore with all this hoops and loops to jump through
even if i became a christian id probably pick the wrong type and go to hell for that
better to just accept hell and live how I please

Attached: lololol.jpg (256x256, 41K)

Also notice that Jesus tells the young man that he needs to sell his possessions and follow him to BE PERFECT, not to be saved. Ofc the kid still is living in this legalistic framework where he thinks he can climb a ladder and be perfect, he is so far from actual salvation through repentance.

Well yes, exactly. I didn’t say he got his ego popped.

>John 14
>Follow me and you'll be with me and the Father
You didn't read Matthew 19 did you? You revoke the material world and follow Christ. Nothing in that chapter contradicts anything in Matthew 19.

Stop twisting the words of Christ.

>Ofc the kid still is living in this legalistic framework
This is the key right here. Matthew was written for a typically Jewish audience of the time, and the strange legalism of Jewish law is not a modern phenomenon. This was a rebuke of that type of thinking in addition to the more straightforward admonition of materialism.

Absolutely embarrassing take

Become Catholic

>I didn’t say he got his ego popped.
>The young man asks ‘the good teacher’ how to enter heaven and Jesus responds “Why do you call me good? ONLY GOD is good”.Immediately after the young man makes the bold claim that he has kept the entire 10 commandments since he was a boy, thus rejecting Jesus’s claim “ONLY GOD is good” by raising himself to the level of God, thus breaking the first commandment, ye shall have no other Gods.
>Jesus then gives him those arbitrary commandments and tells him to follow him like you said and the boy immediately TURNS AWAY SADDENED, proving the point that he can’t do the good even when it’s spoken to him directly face to face with God.

That is an interpretation of Jesus popping the rich boy's ego, user.

I can't be bothered
I'm fine with going to hell

Based as fuck

Please don't

Attached: 1563385648638.jpg (1012x1012, 73K)

No, you're twisting the words of Christ in Matthew 19 by ignoring their place in the rest of the Bible, all with the intent of discouraging faith in God. That's absolutely abominable. You're a false teacher and there is no truth in you.

>bait falseflag threads push me away from christianity
nothing of value was lost, retard

If God wants to save me then he can
He can do what he likes
Otherwise fuck it, I'll go to hell and accept it

You may live as half a man your entire life but I genuinely believe that you're not in a position to make the kind of decision you're making. You're not worth hell.

No it’s not, it’s an interpretation of the kid totally misunderstanding the message of Jesus’s gospel that only God is good and Jesus gives up when he says “well sell your stuff and follow me, be perfect”, and the part where the kid goes away sad because he is bound to his material possessions is an ironic self-refutation of religious legalism.

I don’t read it as though the kid feels trumphed by Jesus. He is so unaware that Jesus’s message flies over his head without him even hearing it and he walks away still thinking he has to climb a ladder to establish a relationship with God.

I'm not worth hell?
So what, I'm going to mega hell?
In a Christian context I'm a non-baptised barely repentant sinner
I'm probably blaspheming against the Holy spirit by consigning myself to hell

No, you're purgatory at absolute worst, as far as I can tell. You deserve pity, not punishment. You don't even have the strength of character to sin properly. Your words are empty.

>claims to be christian
>says nothing of value was lost when someone is turned astray
Yikes, go to church

Hyperborean poster was right!

Attached: Hyperborea.png (1346x1250, 498K)

Please point to the other passages where Christ is directly asked how to get to heaven and gives a direct answer.

i find divinity from within, the modern church serves no purpose

I'm an asshole to people on here a lot
it's like I just get taken over by a shitposting demon
you're right about strength of character
I don't really have much of a character
more like a set of personas
enough about me anyway

Except for the fact the kid never said he followed all the commandments, just that he has successfully followed the ones Jesus has specifically told him he needs to follow. He then asks what he lacks and Christ literally tells him to sell his material possessions as being freed from the material is the thing he lacks as backed up by the very next paragraph.

Here's the Q&A. Luke 23:39–43

Dude you are confusing law and gospel totally, it’s a seriously warped view of scripture, and any scholar with just a bit of credibility will tell you that. I don’t even know what to say to you, go read CFW Walther or something. This is an absolute misunderstanding of the message of the new covenant.
(And no, I am not advocating some kind of antinomianism by refuting your judaism, the law still has a place in the new covenant, albeit a different one. See Romans 7 for clarification on that).

>One criminal wants to be saved to continue his material existence
>The other has let go of the material in acceptance of his penance for breaking one the laws.
He has revoked the material and is following Christ at the very end of his life, user. That's still in line with the interpretation of Matthew 19 I hold.

And does Romans 7 have Christ literally telling you how to get into heaven when directly asked?

That explains why you're such a terrible christian

Although I will admit that I messed the wording up a bit, (Jesus doesn’t mention all of the 10 commandments), cause I was paraphrasing from memory there.

Dude stop, can’t you see how warped it is to refuse to look at the rest of the biblical canon, because you want to hold onto a very confused, pseudo-gnostic and legalistic interpretation of the entire gospel of Jesus?

Again he doesn’t tell him how to be saved but how to be PERFECT, because that’s what the kid really wants to hear.

This is the stepping stone I'd like you to address. How do you justify overruling the direct word of God on an answer to a question?

Shitty hypothetical to illustrate:
If Jesus says you have to eat apples to get into heaven then Paul says you actually have to eat this bushel of different fruit to get into heaven, which is right?

But what you are preaching is not the word of God.

And ffs, I mentioned the place in Romans as a place to look into the role of law in relation to gospel, not as a refutation of what Jesus says in that passage in Matthew. In fact, it is one of my favourite passages in the bible.

He was a thief. How was he justified merely according to the law he had broken, as you contend? He wasn't. Your argument is that obedience to certain commandments of the law alone warrants one's salvation regardless of one's faith in God. But here this man broke one of the commandments of the law you specified, yet was justified according to Christ's own words by his faith in Christ. Christ is God. Your soteriology is incoherent in light of the Bible as a whole and you'd be better off not quoting Christ to support your error.

An insult against infinite majesty is deserving of infinite punishment.

Attached: nicene-creed.jpg (1132x1600, 485K)

I think my interpretation stands if you look at the passage. I have extra assurance in that I’ve heard and read the same interpretation from several actual preachers and scholars.

That's fine then
I accept im going to hell
Now I'm free to live life

So anyone who has sinned is not allowed to do penance for their infraction in the physical world? Cause that's what it sounds like you're saying.

He knows you're not arguing against Christ's words. He's trying a rhetorical slight of hand as a red herring. He's arguing in bad faith.

>I wish I wasn't so prideful
you know you sound extremely prideful yourself user. Stop thinking you're better than us sinners. If you'd read the Bible you would have known, that god doesn't like that kind of pride

If obedience to the commandments justifies one's soul, then all sinners must be damned. If one's soul is instead justified by faith, then all can be saved.

>Arguing in bad faith
I'm literally just asking how you can take the word of someone over the literal Word of God on a divine matter.

You do know I've been arguing it's a one-two punch right? You have to do both. Be a good person in deed and then also revoke the material and take on a spiritual life to find God through faith.

That's what the rich young man is about.

I forgot to add. The interpretation I have is also one that doesn't automatically condemn people who have never heard of Christ based on the specific commandments Christ stated.

The penitent thief wasn't a good person in deed. He was a thief. The only thing that separated him from the other thief was faith in Jesus. Good works are merely a fruit of faith, not its substitute.

"First remorse of the damned Christian, arising from the thought of the little which he required to do in order to save his soul.

1 . A damned soul once appeared to St. Hubert, and said, that two remorse’s were her most cruel executioners in Hell: the thought of the little which was necessary for her to have done in this life to secure her salvation; and the thought of the trifles for which she brought herself to eternal misery. The same thing has been said by St. Thomas. Speaking of the reprobate, he says: “They shall be in sorrow principally because they are damned for nothing, and because they could most easily have obtained eternal life.”

Let us stop to consider this first source of remorse; that is, how few and transitory are the pleasures for which all the damned are lost. Each of the reprobate will say for eternity: If I abstained from such a gratification; if in certain circumstances I overcame human respect; if I avoided such an occasion of sin such a companion, I should not now he damned; if I had frequented some pious sodality; if I had gone to confession every week; if in temptations I had recommended myself to God, I would not have relapsed into sin. I have so often proposed to do these things, but I have not done them. I began to practise these means of salvation, but afterwards gave them up; and thus I am lost.

2. This torment of the damned will be increased by the remembrance of the good example given them by some young companions who led a chaste and pious life even in the midst of the world. It will be still more increased by the recollection of all the gifts which the Lord had bestowed upon them, that by their co-operation they might acquire eternal salvation; the gifts of nature health, riches, respectability of family, talents; all gifts granted by God, not to be employed in the indulgence of pleasures and in the gratification of vanity, but in the sanctification of their souls, and in becoming saints.

So many gifts of grace, so many divine lights, holy inspirations, loving calls, and so many years of life to repair past disorders. But they shall for ever hear from the angel of the Lord that for them the time of salvation is past. “The angel whom I saw standing, swore by Him that liveth for ever and ever. . . . that time shall be no longer.” (Apoc. x. 6.)

Attached: 1551296283854.png (642x705, 303K)

traditionalcatholicpriest.com/2018/01/20/remorse-damned-st-alphonsus/

Apparently it does automatically condemn "megachurch baptists" who pray for God's mercy on the souls of the unevangelized, though.

>Missing the second half
user, they need to revoke the material instead of wearing luxury suits at their multi million dollar mega churches.

lmao church elitism is fucking gross
you're probably a mentally ill faggot

>He doesn't know only those who believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster will be saved.

Attached: ab7745deedac723679f28ddae837cc4f.jpg (700x721, 58K)

>revoke the material
You're a Gnostic, aren't you?

Don't really know much about the gnostics but I'll give them a look once my shift is over.

You'd do better to read your Bible. The entire thing.

Cringe and reddit.

Holy triple based.
need to read this guy's works.

>but muhh sola scriptura
I hope you take OP's pic into account. That's what you'll look like for eternity with your flawed individualistic interpretations.

>Why yes, I did give away my worldly goods, even the shirt off my back like Jesus said, how did you know?

Attached: gigachad.jpg (499x615, 21K)

i'm an atheist who has been larping as a christian irl for three years now because otherwise i wouldn't have got my comfy job as clinical psychologist for a comfy catholic hospital in small-town upper austria, AMA

>y-you're going to hell
nice projection, faggot