ANCIENT LANGUAGES RESOURCE THREAD

Is there a place where one can read the Ugaritic texts in the original cuneiform?

Also, ancient languages thread. What have you been studying/learning? What are your favourite ancient texts?

Attached: Ugarit_Tomba_-_GAR_-_3-01.jpg (1536x2048, 635K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lexicity.com/language/ugaritic/
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A
youtube.com/watch?v=KLKvowyJgq8
bridge.haverford.edu/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is there a place where one can read the Ugaritic texts in the original cuneiform?
There must be, all graduate students studying semetic languages study them. I don't know where to find them though. I would try a university book store maybe.

I've searched, but i can't find a textbook containing the cuneiform texts - only transliterations and translations.

If you can find an academic page on the subject you’re looking for (like a professor’s Uni website), you should be able to find an email. I’m willing to bet you could send a few cold call emails and get a response pointing you in the right direction. There might be some PDFs or sites like Perseus (which is basically what you’re looking for but is Homeric through Koine Greek instead of Ugaritic).

I'm trying to widen my Latin Vocabulary. Enjoying reading Seneca's letters right now.

I'll give it a try sometime. Thank you.

>Enjoying reading Seneca's letters right now.
Interesting. How fluent are you? I've read Seneca in my native tounge - i imagine he's not so simple.

He's the easiest Latin author I've read (could be that he's the most recent though). I even find him easier than Ceasar, who is suppose to be Latin prose 101.
I can read fluently (left to right, no verb searching etc.), but slowly. I have to look up a word every couple lines. I'd estimate my vocabulary at about 3500 words, and I can understand from context and etymology a fair deal.

bump

How many hours would you say that you have invested in Latin so far?

Any pronounciation guide for Old English?

Has anyone self taught himself Ancient Greek?

Probably just under 1000 hours.
I study for 1.5 hours every weekday and occasionally on weekends depending on my schedule. Been doing it for 2 years and 4 months.
On top of this I grind vocabulary on anki when I have downtime at work.

bump

lexicity.com/language/ugaritic/

Looks like they don't have any of the texts on that website. Thanks anyway.

bump

Here you go, faggot. It's a huge waste of time unless you learn modern Greek and bolster your knowledge with related texts to read untranslated Plato or Aristotle.

mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Next time, lurk more.

>unless you learn modern Greek
What a retarded thing to say.

I had a similar experience. I'm approaching the end of my first year learning Latin. I flipped through some Seneca lately and found him more comprehensible than Caesar. They should start Latin students on Seneca, then Caesar IMO. A good resource for anyone learning Latin that I've used is the Latin app by liberation philology. Great for vocab and practicing verbs/declensions. There's one for most of the major languages too, including Sanskrit and Ancient Greek. Vice Verba is another good one for Latin, especially for mastering conjugations.

There are a few readings on Youtube like the Baal epic.
youtube.com/watch?v=KLKvowyJgq8

Has anyone used von Soden's book on the akkadian grammer? I'm unsure how to use it (if it's at all possible) for my self-study of akkadian. It feels almost Impossible to learn all the rules wothout any exercises. I know there is a book by Huenegard, which seems to have a pretty good reception, but since I'm german and huenegard's book uses von Soden's as a reference anyway I would rather just bis book. I would greatly appreciate any help given.

why would anyone learn modern greek out of their own volition

To learn ancient greek more easily

bridge.haverford.edu/
Great website for vocabulary based on specific works.

Seems like an extra unnecessary step to me

bump

What's everyone reading right now?

bump

bump