He's still trying to become a writer

>he's still trying to become a writer
You know only a tiny, tiny minority of writers make it, right?

Attached: 1470669799236.jpg (2700x1800, 2.75M)

Other urls found in this thread:

authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/authors-guild-survey-shows-drastic-42-percent-decline-in-authors-earnings-in-last-decade/
authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/six-takeaways-from-the-authors-guild-2018-authors-income-survey/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_distribution
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Tech_Employee_Antitrust_Litigation
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

never know unless you try =)

writers get the best part of the pie

Attached: 936full-marilyn-monroe.jpg (936x1110, 594K)

>get a used goods thot
Yep

Post more ass

I don't write to make it

Attached: 1563176386723.webm (480x480, 2.92M)

>only doing things you know will work out well
pragmatists have never tasted life

lmao wtf

Make what? A book? Million$?

Never gonna make it.

based pachyderm

Absolutely based response.

i wanna put my finger in them

Attached: DB1D3B96-31EC-47D1-9142-AF3AB792E1E1.jpg (550x441, 33K)

>i wouldn't with Marilyn

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

Attached: 1563175159193.webm (432x432, 2.93M)

This is my new fetish.

This. Don’t fall for the “I’m not like that anymore” whore

That's true.
Proof:
authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/authors-guild-survey-shows-drastic-42-percent-decline-in-authors-earnings-in-last-decade/

>incomes falling to historic lows to a median of $6,080 in 2017, down 42 percent from 2009.

>Roughly 25 percent of all published authors surveyed earned $0 in book-related income in 2017; 18 percent of full-time authors earned $0 in book-related income during the same time period.

>Those zero earners are not included in the mean figures provided above. When the zero earners for 2017 are included, they bring the mean total author earnings down to $1,784 and the book earnings down to just $490.

Pretty crazy desu. I feel bad for those anons trying to do it full-time.

>he still uses bait pictures of whores

stay unhappy incel cuck

Ditto anything that involves work.

Your point?

thorax hurt?

>You know only a tiny, tiny minority of writers make it, right?
Applies to anything with potential of world-wide impact. And having the chance to become part of this tiny minority sounds rather motivating. What else am I going to do, waste my time earning money for someone?

Things to consider.

>18% write literary fiction.
>22% are academic, scholarly, or textbook authors.
>18% write general nonfiction.
>9% publish books to advance their work or person
It's given all of these will barely make shit.
>46% traditionally published; 27% self-publish only; and 26% do both
Also given that self-published ones are mostly a mixed bag. More importantly:
>Median income for full-time authors for all writing-related activities, however, was $20,300 in 2017, up 3% from 2013
A bit over 1.6k a month for doing something you love either way sounds like a great fucking deal.

>make it
To become a writer all one needs to do is write. You are talking about being a business man, they are two different things.

Sure, if you live with your parents your entire life or live out a in a cabin in the woods with no societal ties.

Otherwise, 1.6k isn't even going to cover rent in a lot of major places.

Based. Who gives a shit if you’re well-received. Write for yourself user not the stupid liberal globalists outside your head. Even your biggest fans will hardly understand your work

He'll be fine.

Attached: spaceghost.png (512x384, 215K)

This is true. The Pareto Distribution (Matthew Principle) at work. Something like the top 50% of income made by writers goes to the top 10% of writers, and of those 10%, 50% of that income goes to the top 10%. In short, if I'm not mistaken on the concept, 25% of all income goes to the top 1%. I could have the numbers wrong but it goes something like that. Same goes with classical music; 50% of that which is listened to goes to just 10% of classical musicians, and of those, most of that goes to the top 10% of that 10%.

It's pretty brutal. "To he who has everything, more will be given, and from he who has nothing, all will be taken." At least I'm not stuck at 'zero' though. Been making 3-figures per month, consistently, for a year now. Even nearly reached 4-figures once, that was a good time. I'm also actively working towards traditional publication, and I figure if I can manage that, I'll try to join Upwork again and if I can get there... that might be the next stage for me. I'm certain they have a lot more high-dollar customers than Fiverr since the service providers are thoroughly vetted for quality. Ghostwriters, to my understanding, typically make roughly $3-6 per 100 words, maybe even $8 for REALLY well-known and successful ones. Personally, I'm still around $1-2 per 100 words, but hey, at about 2000 words per hour that's $20-40 per hour of writing. Can't much complain about that!

So, in the face of heavy opposition and lacking likelihood, keep at it. Improve your craft, work honourably to earn trust, if a project doesn't turn out right then offer a revision or at least a discount for the next project if they decide to give you another chance, get good reviews, and thus more people will be open to trying you out. Try to make a repeat customer out of every customer. You can climb the hierarchy, bit by bit, and make some good supplementary income on the way. $5000 in 28 months, no it's not enough to live off of... but no fuckin' way am I just gonna give up and throw away all my progress. Never know when another $400+ month will come around again, sometimes I even get a few in quick succession. Helps big-time.

>1.6k isn't even going to cover rent in a lot of major places.
Outside of Cali and some Asian megacity it's fucking fine. Perhaps these places are suboptimal if you earn 1.6k and you could move.

Thanks to internet, writers aren't constricted to major locations. Hell, I've literally self-published books from my laptop in a homeless shelter, and three from a house in a VERY small town in a very poor location of the West. 200km from the nearest McDonald's or any other mainstream fast-food location. As for traditional publishing, I've made several attempts already, and their requested method of sending in stories is in a file via email. Not restricted to the local city, either; people nationwide can send them.

$1600 USD per month is plenty of money, I've lived on less than $1000 USD per month. With $1600, I could afford a one bedroom apartment, could treat myself fairly regularly at restaurants or pubs, bussing wouldn't be an issue at all, and PLENTY of budget for groceries. Could probably even afford to be drunk every damn night if I so choose, which is something I did for about 3 years. I know good and well how to live poor, and bringing in that kind of money? I could stuff over $100 into the bank every single month. After a year, it's over a grand, and indeed I had that much money available to me within the past few months. Hard times come, and when they do, it pays to have the capacity to save money.

>self-published books from my laptop in a homeless shelter
Now that's dedication to the craft.

AFAIK most writers never even met their agents face to face in traditional publishing, so it's not like with acting/screen writing where it's important to live in LA or NYC.

I don't mean to embarrass you, but your Peterson is showing.

No health insurance or anything else really.
Enjoy living in the edge.
One single thing goes wrong and it all collapses.

I hadn't really conceptualized that I've self-published in a homeless shelter, but it's true. At least 2 books, MAYBE 3. But yeah, the internet seems to have made it a better time than ever before in history to be an entrepreneur. Pretty awesome.

I get this pretty regularly, and I don't care. If I find something that seems more aligned with truth, then I will adopt that. This is what I understand to be truth at the moment, if you see anything that I said that was incorrect, feel free to bring it to my attention. If I happen to sound like Dr. Jordan Peterson, I really don't much care. God knows people enjoy listening to him and throw money at him like mad, buying tickets to his lectures, watching 2-2.5 hour long vids, buying his books, sending him money on Patreon (or whatever he's using now since he's stopped going there to my understanding), etc. He's a major figure, a household name and a very recent one at that, but one that seems to be here to stay. It's been years, and he has another book he's working on.

Bucko.

My costs:
Location: Town, population ~1k, out in the middle of nowhere.
Own my house and car.
Car is need because public transit literally doesn't exist aside from buses that only take people to and from church during services, mostly the elderly.

Electricity: ~$40-50. I only use enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing and don't really use much A/C. I have blackout curtains on every window and usually am only in underwear with a fan on me. Much cheaper.

Water + Sewer + Trash: $40

Property Tax: ~$1,200

Internet: $45

Food: ~$75-100
Gas: $30/month, maybe once a month, at most.

Car insurance (state law): ~$300/3 months, my car is ~20 years old and wasn't ever particularly expensive.

That's basically all of my expenses.

>Enjoy living in the edge.
How else is an artist supposed to live?

Comfortably, as a self-satisfied bourgeois. The catch is that you don't publish your debut novel until you're >45

If you could only sniff one of these, which one would it be Yea Forums?

Attached: sniff.webm (1280x720, 1.01M)

Why would I want to do that? Seems unhigenic and I disliks smelling other people's sweat and feces.

>I disliks smelling other people's sweat and feces
i bet you've never done it.

Not really, going for a trade is guaranteed to make you a decent income if you're not too lazy or retarded.
A lot of degree still pave the way to reasonably paid middle managment position as well.

based on the information we have, second from left has the best ass but the worst face. if only a question of bottocks sniffing, i'd pick her.
first on the left has the best face though, do i'd have to take that into account. on the other hand, second from right has a nicest ass than first from left, but her face is completely hidden, which is a wild card. her hair are nice and i somehow got a good feeling for a face.
since i'm a gambling man, my final answer would be that i'd sniff the second from right's ass.

>ppl ITT think they'll make it
Lmao, stay mad poorfags.

… more?

how many people who write erotica novels for roasties make it?

like 0.0000000000002%

Bless you user, you sound like a gentle and kindred soul, and I hope your financial situation improves. Nobody should have to live in such austere conditions as you do - and your dedication to your passion is a beacon to all those here who write. I send my best wishes to you.

>writing in order to 'make it'
fucking lmao

God bless you too, thanks, I hope things do indeed improve.

Yea Forums always complain about the market being unfair, success is impossible, and there are no good living authors except for meme_guy.jpg.
But Yea Forums does fuck all to change anything about it:
>be Yea Forums
>no contemporary charts for books of 2019 like on other boards
>no support among each other on the market
>hateful jealousy towards fame
>no awards
>no publishing firm
>no connection to other platforms like youtube
Yea Forums is a big producer and consumer community, but all its autistic powers are wasted for dumb threads. I dream of the day Yea Forums uses its influence.

>22% are academic, scholarly, or textbook authors
Did they really include this in that statistic? Scholarly writers don't make shit on their published work, that's why universities pay them (having a professor who churns out work adds to prestige).

This is a good point, I'm frequently disappointed by Yea Forums. What should be the most intellectual board is the most off-topic. Yea Forums tracks the recent albums they like and they support each other's music, /vr/ has a continuous Doom thread that manages to stay on topic all the way up to 500 posts, /fa/ is garbage but they at least talk about the stuff they purport to talk about. There's so little discussion of literature here, mostly DFW and Joyce memes spiced up by the occasional /pol/-style racebait.

But with that being said, I would also like to note that Big Chungus was a meme here (bugs.. easy on the carrots) like two years before the rest of the world discovered it and ran it into the ground, so that's gotta count for something.

autism

Okay so I checked. It's not 50%/10%; it's 80-20. So 80% of all classical music listened to goes to the top 20% of most popular classical musicians. Then, in that 20%, 80% of THAT goes to the top 1/5th most popular in that group of 20%. So, what's that, something like... I just checked a calculator. 64% goes to the top 4%. One more step, 51.2% goes to 0.8%... so basically 50% to the top 1% to do a bit of rounding. Even worse than I had guessed, 10x as worse, but that's nature. So $0.50 of every dollar spent on writing goes to the 1% most popular writers.

Given my amount of income, and the fact that the VAST majority of writers make either no money at all or probably less than $1000 per year (less than $100 per month on average), if I had to guess at which point 'out of 100' I am... I figure at least the 90th percentile. $5k in 28 months seems quite respectable for a venture that is extremely difficult to monetize. I wonder how many YouTubers make that much money, how many painters, or dancers, or actors, and so on and so on. Wait, at 50th percentile, that would mean that half the writers of the world make less than me and half make more than me. No... I definitely think I make more money than half of writers, so logically I'm past the 50th percentile, which means I'm on the way to the up-swing. Perhaps I just need one last thing, one little nudge somehow, like getting on UpWork and/or getting traditionally published finally. That ever-illusive 4-figure month, but I've come DAMN close before... I'll get there someday. I've got no illusions about becoming the next Stephen King, some big-time millionaire or billionaire, but I do believe I will become self-sustaining on my writing income someday.

Thank God for Capitalism.

Wait, 50% to 1%... don't they say that the top 1% richest people in the world hold as much wealth as the bottom 99% combined? That's 50% to 1%. I assume that, likewise, 50% of the mass in the universe goes to 1% of the largest planets/stars, or perhaps black holes since they can apparently compress matter more and more and more and more into a tiny locale. 50% of the money made every year at the box office goes to 1% of the most popular films. 50% of the mass of the world's forests go to the 1% of the largest trees, and perhaps 50% of the land covered in forest on Earth goes to the 1% of the largest forested areas, with the other 50% of forested areas making up the patches that are smaller than those of the 1% largest forests/jungles?

If the Pareto Distribution is as thoroughly scientifically proven as it claims, then I assume the above to be pretty accurate.

user you really ought not to lay all your eggs in one nest. Try learning stock investment and other turnkey businesses. Amazon Merch might be something to look into.

*Footnote: The Book Club seems to be as Yea Forums as they come on youtube, but he is yet to become really acknowledged and famous.

I fully intend to expand. Right now I'm basically living hand-to-mouth, on 'income support' (nice way of saying 'welfare'), but in autumn I'll be going back on EI which grants me more money (and I've paid LOTS of money into EI, actually once upon a time had over $20k in the bank from lots of hard manual labour) which will also be going towards me getting an education in journalism which I can very easily utilize entrepreneurially online or, who knows, maybe get hired by an actual broadcast network. Given that I'm right-wing, though, I'm doubtful that they'd have me, or if they did hire me, I'd probably be laid off pretty quickly. Anyhow, seems like I'm going in the right direction, and I do intend on looking into investments... once I actually have money to invest.

I also have other talents/interests that I may be able to monetize, I'm very entrepreneurially minded, once I manage to get myself a new place without room mates, it'll be a lot easier to experiment. I can still see a bloody bright future ahead of me, just gonna take time and effort to earn my way there. That's all.

Isn't there some sci/fantasy thread? Plus the whole critique stuff.

Besides it takes a much larger investment to read hundreds of pages of someone imitating their favourite meme author compared to checking out some track on soundcloud or yt.

>authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/six-takeaways-from-the-authors-guild-2018-authors-income-survey/
The link to the actual study and methodology instead of some dumb headline.

>80% of THAT goes to the top 1/5th most popular in that group of 20%.
Which makes sense. Once someone makes a name for themselves, say Hillary Hahn, people will look to get more stuff from her. To listen to a new recording of old music, it has to be something extraordinary and driven by the brand of the performer.

With writing there is at least a bigger chance to catch someone with your story but even then, why should a reader give Random McRandom a chance and potentially waste the time when there is someone proven.

Everybody had her

>Try learning stock investment

biggest meme

Explain.

She seems like such a sweetheart though. Poor, broken soul she was.

'Just invest in stocks bro' is the most vague statement you could tell someone, and it doesnt even work

what is the type of pose in the picture called? im kinda retarded

Was I supposed to lay out a comprehensive investment strategy?

No, just give more details obviously

How will you know that you won't make it if you never tried at all?

Attached: 1561468266443.jpg (960x469, 39K)

But im actually gonna make it though
First book almost done with editing.
Proofreaders actually like it.

Knowing and acknowledging Pareto is something anyone who's read any worthwhile book on economics should do. If you meet someone who speaks about economics but don't know of Pareto distribution THEN you have reason to criticize them.
Just because Peterson mentions something doesn't make it wrong.
Your Idiocracy citizenship is showing.

make what?

>mfw he has no problem with severely diminishing the artistic value of his work by publising and imposing a monetary value upon it

Ugh, not the kind of man I want to spend my life with.

Attached: 1500764263275.jpg (750x750, 65K)

Once I get my stuff published I'd be happy if 5 people read it. Love it or hate it all that matters is they gave it a chance.

sounds comfy
what is your job?

you are definitely underage

Attached: 1562664831252.webm (640x360, 2.79M)

Nice post.

>liberal posting
Gross.

Attached: DA6D88C2-1E3B-4266-B1C0-3263B65ADFC0.jpg (396x395, 60K)

Is that Remy LaCroix on the left?

Isn’t that the one with the distinct spinal tattoo?

I never knew elephants were so based

> and fuck phoneposters

At this point, it's better odds than finding fulfillment down any other career path.

>he has no problem with severely diminishing the artistic value of his work by publising
Done by almost every single writer you know, even before we consider what editors did to their work afterwards.
Besides making something more commercial aka. more polished to the public can often enhance the work. You wouldn't want to read someone's first or second draft, would you?
I never got the fetishisation of muh raw art.

Wasn't that Riley Ryder?

okay so have fun posting your writings on random internet forums for few incel points
>liberal
lol, you first world white leftists are so fucking pathetic

Attached: 1555533700685.jpg (437x651, 57K)

your world is about to change

Attached: elephant.webm (480x480, 206K)

You don't even really understand Pareto's distribution.

80% goes to 20%. Then 8/10ths of that 80% goes to 1/5th of that 20% (64% to 4%), and likewise one step further results in roughly 50% going to 1%. It's non-linear, in fact it's not a line at all, it's a curve, and a bit of a sharp one at that.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_distribution

Really, my only hope is the fact the short novel I'm writing is mostly about the city I'm in, which has essentially 0 cultural output or literature about it. My government also will sometimes sponsor local artists (probably not white guys anymore but might as well try) so the end goal is getting it on local TV and in the airport, etc. through gov grants.

That's only for a very specific choice of parameters and that's only an approximation of one example Pareto dealt with.
What you should remember is
1. It's about the self-similiarity, not about that particular 80/20 ratio (it works with 60/40 too)
2. You should be on the lookout for changes in parameters because they express changes in balance.

What the fuck are you trying to say? We should write purely for our own evaluation of "artistic value" without catering to the demands of the market? I know you lefty fuckwits like living in your own little mawkish dreamspace but when it comes down to praxis we have to put food on our plates somehow. This entails tuning your writing to how other people like it so they will buy it.

What if I write because I'm vain and want to be a star, instead of for money?

Look at the little nerd baby who hasn't even read the apophthegmata patrum

>1.6k wont cover a lot of major places
>only other options are living in the woods or with your parents
You've ignored a huge middle ground and I think that's dishonest. 1.6k wont cut it in a top-10 US city. But I live with a roomie in a town of 100,000 and all my bills add up to 800 a month.

Another hierarchical element; Price's Law. The square root of the number of workers produce 50% of the productivity.

10 workers: 3 do 50% of the work. (30%)
100 : 10 (10%)
1000 : 31 (3.1%)
10,000 : 100 (1%)
50,000 : 223 (0.44%)

So in a meritocratic system based on the individual without some sort of tyrannical measure to force all workers to be paid the same with no options whatsoever of getting a raise or promotion, it's inevitable that a wage gap would develop because different people work at different paces and intensities and are more or less productive than one anther, thus some rise up and earn more, while others are left at their pay due to lack of productivity and might even be fired, resulting in them remaining firmly in the lower class unless they happen to win the lottery or something like that, but most people who win the lottery end up blowing it and ending up even more miserable than they had been when they were wealthy. Not everyone is good with money, not everyone works hard, not everyone is born with a perfectly functional body or a high-functioning mind... some people are indeed doomed to be poor forever, and that's just the way of it, and that's why I support some social programs to help those who are most vulnerable, but ONLY on a firm foundation of Capitalism.

Let the hyper-productive and hyper-intelligent rise up, benefit society, and be rightly rewarded for their efforts. If they donate lots of money, good on 'em! If they primarily keep it in the bank, that's okay too, since the banks are in the business of giving loans out to aspiring people in the lower-middle class who have good ideas that can plausibly work but need a bit of a kick-start. It still helps people, but the thing is that leftists seem to view the rich as, generally, greedy bastards who like to horde their money and not let anyone else have any of it. Sadly some are like that, for instance, Wesley Snipes and his tax evasion. Not cool, but he paid the price, and rightly so. Play the game right; don't cheat. I believe that most are generous, though. Look at Markiplier, he's not even all THAT wealthy, got a few million but FAR from the top of the economic hierarchy. He donates, arranges charity things, visits kids for the Make a Wish Foundation, etc. Still, in owning millions, I'm pretty sure that puts him firmly in the upper class, perhaps even within the 1% of America.

Oh, cool, I found something! The richest percentiles of Americans in 2016.

Top 20%: $499,000+
Top 10%: $1.18 million+
Top 5%: $2.37 million+
Top 1%: $10.37 million+

Wild to think that 10% of America are millionaires, also it would seem Markiplier has a net worth of $24,000,000 putting him SQUARELY within the top 1% of America, let alone the top 1% of the world which is about $33,000+. Now, do I think that most people in the 1% are as generous as Markiplier? No, not really, but he's a fantastic example of the generosity that can be found within the 1%.

August 15, 2017: From The Guardian - Bill Gates donates $4.6 BILLION to charity in his biggest donation since the year 2000...

...perhaps thanks to Trump's roaring economy? If so, only in part, because we mustn't forget the element of generosity at play. In fact, is this true? Bill Gates is worth $81billion? Then that means he's donated just about 5% of his entire net worth! If someone owned $20,000, that's $1,000! A rather substantial chunk of change, that!

The Pareto distribution is something seen in many aspects of life and nature, it seems to me to be inescapable... as inescapable as hierarchies. Let the rich be rich, and just be glad that the poor are being lifted at the same time even if the wealth gap is growing, and indeed it probably is. I don't care. The poor of the West are already the richest poor in the world and things are steadily improving, ESPECIALLY in America. I'm grateful.

You make the mistake of assuming Yea Forums is mostly populated by self-sufficient and -determined enthusiasts and not undergrad libertarians.

It's called "Brattysis"

I think you were baited. Or, rather, you belong to the species for which that bait was intended.

Hi Alex Jones, don't worry, you're among friends.

Are you sure it's not BAAAAAAPysis?

laying prone

Roaring economy? I work the same hours as ever and min wage is still 7.25

Liberals and conservatives measure the economy by two metrics: unemployment, GDP, and the stock market.
The quality of life for workers is irrelevant to them.

just wanna train myself to jerk off to this so im no longer addicted to porn tbhlads

Then ask for a promotion. If you're rejected, get some resumes printed off and look around for other jobs (since there's more jobs and working people in America than ever before). Tell your employer such, and again, request a raise or promotion. If they still don't give it, they don't think that you're doing a sufficient job to receive more money (or maybe their business is struggling for whatever reason and can't actually pay you, or will claim such just to try and get you to drop the matter if they think you might be a bit of a push-over), and so they're fine with the inconvenience of replacing you with someone who will have to be trained all over again. That, or maybe the business is doing well and they're not just going to start handing out raises and promotions arbitrarily (OBVIOUSLY) so show some bloody initiative and go ask! How long have you been working there? Have you missed any time? Called in sick frequently? Had spats of drama with co-workers? If you've been doing your duty and doing it well, upon having to decide whether to cough up an extra 50 cents or a dollar per hour or to have you leave and replaced with someone who will have to be trained and won't be as good as you at the job for quite a long time... they'll very likely cough up the raise.

So it depends on various variables, but you shouldn't just expect to have money tossed your way. Show some initiative! If you think you've proven yourself to be a capable and VALUABLE employee who's worth more than minimum wage, then start looking for work elsewhere. If you find some leads that suggest higher pay, all the better, more ammo for your fight. Talk to your employer, and let 'em know what's what, but of course in a reasonable and respectable manner. It's not an armed revolt, it's a calm negotiation. Earn an increase in pay through voluntary meritocracy, not by forcing one with increased minimum wage which stifles the economy.

You live in a bubble

>Yea Forums
>influence
lmaoing@you

Attached: 1543417691534.jpg (613x1024, 92K)

cringe

3 > the rest

Are the proofreaders your mummy and daddy?

Only a tiny minority finish a book, so if you even get that far you’re in good company.

"gimme hony melon"

what's the name for this type of posture in the picture? im kinda retarded

>fuck phoneposters
>is a phoneposter
i can't even tell when you phoneposters are just memeing or are just being very retarded

lmaoing@stuff

How so? What I said in the reply seemed to be genuinely good advice that can genuinely help someone who has work ethic and actual initiative.

contrapposto

Oh yeah because the unemployed and those working minimum wage obviously lack initative and 'work ethic'. You live in a bubble because you think you just ask your boss for more money, and that making money is easy.

its even worse, im trying to become an actor, even though im ugly.

What? Someone working minimum wage and unable to get a raise either might not yet have worked at that location long enough to prove themselves to the employer, or indeed it could be due to a lack of work ethic or responsibility, but also I mentioned that maybe the employer just outright cannot afford to give a raise. I DID say that, twice I think, but I didn't make a statement that "the unemployed and those working minimum wage lack initiative and work ethic." It's possible that a disproportionate amount of them do, but so too are those those on minimum wage who lack the courage and self-determination to ASK for a raise and thus are left there quietly and obediently in minimum wage. If you want to get more, EARN IT! Work hard, and ASK! You can even negotiate starting pay, so why didn't you do that? Or maybe you did but the employer refused to go above minimum wage starting off, which is perfectly understandable because a new employee is fundamentally a risk. However if it's a really good resume and there's good references available, that could tip the scales to being able to negotiate starting pay.

You do indeed "just ask your boss for more money", but you need to have put in the prerequisite time and effort to EARN that money. If you think you're deserving of more but not getting it there, then look elsewhere, but that is indeed how things work. If you want more pay, you need to ask, even come with your resumes at the ready to show you're not messing around. You need to be assertive, otherwise someone else who might not even work as hard as you but are tough enough to stand up and actually request a raise may get it in your stead. By the time you finally nut up and ask, it could be too late, or you could be pleasantly surprised to receive a raise right away.

Go ahead, give it a try. If you think that minimum wage is the best you'll ever get, then indeed either you just don't work hard enough to prove your worth to your employee, you utterly lack the gumption to even try asking, or you have a skewed view of the world (like in a bubble, for example) where you think that 'the man' is keeping you down and that the only way you'll be able to get better pay is by voting for people who want to increase minimum wage. That, just so you know, is a very incorrect view of reality and Capitalism. Go and bloody ask, don't blame others, or Capitalism, for you still being stuck with minimum wage pay. That's pathetic, take responsibility and EARN it.

I rather work on becoming a political journalist or translator which is ambitioned and hard itself but not as far away from the practical world as becoming a professional artists.
Nothing stops me from working on my novella on the side and hoping to find my place. Nothing than the lack of time and motivation. The lack of motivation is mostly caused by having not a single reader. Having someone read your work boosts your spirit extremely, which is not the case at the moment.

What most "writers" have to realize is that they won't be able to live just from writing if they don't write cheap romance novels or maybe self-help books.
It was the same back then, you couldn't expect to have a save income as a writer unless you had rich parents like Thomas Mann.

Try to follow multiple paths. If you're actually a good writer, writing itself probably won't be your only talent.

Some vocational fields for writers:

Journalism
Translation
Copywriting
Science
Politics (remember usually in democratic countries most of the political work happens behind the scenes, you don't have to be a politican to work in politics)
Teaching

None of these fields is easy to get into but all of them are easier to get into than becoming a professional writer of literary fiction.

Working hard has no correlation with how much you earn. You can get easily replaced if you work minimum wage as well and most of these jobs don't require you to 'work hard' in this sense. You can't just 'look elsewhere' because its difficult to get a job, which is why I think you live in a bubble

>Working hard has no correlation with how much you earn
Most people have a hard time understanding this. I'm a contractor that does various construction jobs. The hardest part of the game is good estimating and trying to convince people to hire you. I know plenty of guys here working their ass off for cheap rates, and they're beyond stupid. All of the successful businesses don't really work as hard as most people like to believe. They mostly bullshit and scheme.

I smiled. Then I realized this elephant was certainly tortured and treated like shit just to entertain worthless thots and fat american families.

>but also I mentioned that maybe the employer just outright cannot afford to give a raise.
Which is almost always the case in minimum wage jobs. Usually you work for some company and your direct superior has zero say about the pay; plus often gets barely anything themselves. And if you happen to work for some mom and pop store, they are more likely than not totally fuck you over.

Also the whole "work hard" bullshit is just idiotic. It's about "working smart" just even that will at best give you some leave-away. Any note-able raises are not in the cards for most minimum wage workers, no matter how well they do their jobs or even kiss ass. I had a few friends promoted and they reward were more responsibilities for the same pay.

> is a very incorrect view of reality and Capitalism.
The shit you talk about works for very skilled workers who do higher level jobs. The types of people who get messages by companies and not the other way around; and often they get fucked too.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Tech_Employee_Antitrust_Litigation
Did everyone forget about this already?

If you work hard, your employer will be more likely to give you a raise. The greatest predictor of long-term success is IQ so technically it'd be best if you could combine intelligence with work ethic. As for getting easily replaced, when an employer replaces an employee, it may be with someone who is completely unfamiliar with the job and so must go through a weeks or months-long period in which the necessary information and skills are memorized and developed. It can be quite a pain to replace an experienced employee with a new-hire, and as such, if they can afford to keep the experienced employee via a raise or promotion, they'll be inclined to do so if that experienced employee works well with others, shows up on time, rarely or outright doesn't ask for days off, comes in for extra hours if called regarding a less-reliable employee calling in sick, etc.

Yes, believe me, I am THOROUGHLY aware that it's difficult to get a job, at least where I live, but there's more jobs in America than ever before so if you're in the US then you have that going for you. Still, it's a negotiation tactic. "Do you really want me to put in my 2 weeks and leave you with that much time to HOPEFULLY find a worker as experienced and reliable as myself, or are you gonna cough up an extra 50 cents per hour, $4 per full-time day, $20 per week, $40 biweekly? If you've shown your worth and they see the inconvenience of replacement to be more annoying than the extra pay (about $80 per month, which can be quite helpful if you're at all good with money), then provided they can afford the extra expense, they'll do so. Because diminished productivity with a new-hire can result in worse service for customers, diminished quality/quantity of product, or any sorts of other inconveniences. Then, after another 6 months or so, if you're pulling your weight and proving to be of excessive value to the company than what you're earning (which should ALWAYS be the case because if you're worth LESS than what you're being paid then you'd be fired) then you may just receive another raise of 50 cents or a dollar per hour. Suddenly you have $160 more per month, and stay there another year or two and maybe that'll double again.

Meritocracy. Prove your worth, work hard (or at least work smart which can be even better), be reliable, go above and beyond if you can, and you WILL earn more. If not, then either the business is struggling JUST to get by or your boss is an asshole cheapskate who refuses to pay anyone above minimum wage. Either case, if you want to improve your income, look elsewhere for a company who will properly appreciate your reliability and work ethic.

Or, of course, if you're lazy and call in sick a lot and never go in when you're not scheduled to even if they're hurting for staff, or if you're just in general unpleasant to be around (perhaps a feminist or Commie or Socialist or some other ideologically possessed mass of thoughtlessness), accept the repercussions.

Wageslavery is cancer. Be your own boss if you can.

>The greatest predictor of long-term success is IQ so technically it'd be best if you could combine intelligence with work ethic.

I don't believe this. I would say I'm relatively intellectual. I've read most of the greatest novels and philosophers, self taught myself to play instruments and to read sanskrit / ancient greek yet I live in poverty. Those things are not considered worthwhile in the market. On top of that, I have no qualifications or opportunities, so whenever says the 'just work hard bro' meme it confuses me. How am I suppose to make money when I only know about philosophy and occultism? Not everyone wants to devote their life to making money or working a shitty job

Just what's the point in getting in these fields when you enjoy telling your stories? Might as well do something more relaxing a la web dev if you care about money that much.

Been doing odd jobs as translator and ghostwriter for hs/college kids, plus some scrip writing for local TV; it felt as bad as stocking shelves, with the side effect that it made me hate the process of writing for months afterwards. I really don't get how people with aspirations to be novelists can be content with writing anything but novels.

>you couldn't expect to have a save income as a writer unless you had rich parents like Thomas Mann.
Or live in a developed country and cash in on your neetbucks.

>Having someone read your work boosts your spirit extremely, which is not the case at the moment.
Sure it's nice but just seeing your shit getting better, coming up with new developments and writing that one sentence that makes you feel all smug and clever is damn rewarding by itself. And then there are moments when you're editing your work and get lost in it.

having a high IQ and considering yourself "intellectual" is not the same, user.

Someone needs to google 'Chris Langan'

Actively making money from my writings, so to some degree, I am indeed my own boss.

I don't care if you don't believe it, it's the best science has been able to offer. Funny, doesn't seem like something that would come from a Christian. I find that science often strengthens my faith.

>it's the best science has been able to offer

You most definitely live in a bubble.

ever thought about doing podcasts or being a va?

You're a great writer, if that's any encouragement.

I'd only add that most published authors out there today are god fucking awful, who have been published for superficial reasons, mainly because they just publish bullshit about diversity and vaginal power. It's no real surprise that they don't make any money doing this.

I'd like to see what "good" authors actually make on average, but it'd probably be impossible to get that kind of data.

That's my only hope basically. I keep writing, I guess published occasionally, but I always feel like my pieces are the best ones in the magazines. That's not saying much by the way, as like I said most everything that gets published is god fucking awful.

Other than that, I try not to think about financial success that much. I know how to write, I can do it, at least some people are interested in me enough to publish my stuff, so I do it. That's about all there is to it. It gives me a lot of personal satisfaction, which is highly underrated. You can't underestimate the feeling of being able to just look yourself in the mirror and being satisfied with yourself, knowing you did the things you wanted to do, you accomplished your goals, that story you worked your ass of on got published. It's not flashy but it can bring happiness, or at least contentedness, which is priceless.

Maybe one day I can make some cash off it, I got plans in the works for that, but if not then oh well. I'll still keep writing.

Very kind of you to say, thank you, but I have a Hell of a long way to go before I can potentially be a 'great' writer. Glad you seemed to have enjoyed reading my posts though.

I think it's less of you looking at me in a bubble of false narrative, and more of you looking outside of your own leftist bubble at reality and thinking that you're looking INTO a bubble rather than outside of one. Your vision of reality is skewed and incorrect. Ask for that bloody raise and work hard, or even better, work smart.

plenty of great actors were ugly. So what?

Some are even ugly AND brain-damaged. I can't remember his name, but he's pretty awesome, and played Buddy Holly in a 70's film.

You think 'science' says those with high IQ are rich. Wisdom and you are seperate. Believe me. I'm not even leftist or American too. You are definitely in a bubble and it's probably due to your socioeconomic standing.

I'm okay with being ahead of my time.

checked & based and redpilled

Analytical studies of IQ predict that people with a higher one tend to go further into their jobs, earning higher salaries. But of course not everyone with a high IQ will be able to, for other characteristics are to be taken into account, like charisma and initiative - two of which you don't seem to have.

If I may ask, how old are you? You sound like someone in their 30's or 40's. Almost like a boomer would - and please don't take that as an offense.

>he’s still trying
You know only a tiny, tiny minority of people make it, right?