ITT: countries with an embarrassing lack of literature

ITT: countries with an embarrassing lack of literature

Attached: 1920px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg[1].png (1920x960, 43K)

Basically all countries that aren't European either don't have literature or it's shittier.

non european literature is either outside the bounds of comprehension or completely inaccessible to europeans
the mid wits of world literature

Post anything of value that isn't european

The Epic of Gilgamesh bigot

In a way Australia was a country of storytellers, they just didn't write anything down, and then they all got slaughtered. So yeah, maybe there was some great unwritten literature, however that works.

i've heard the dreamtime shit is cool but i don't know of any good translation

Attached: EA Lit.png (1624x1523, 1.9M)

Naguib Mahfouz's works
Al-Mutanabbi's poetry
1001 Arabian Nights

Middle East at the very least has a huge canon of literature. I imagine that the rest of the world also has their literary masterpieces, but because they remain untranslated they fall into obscurity outside of their country of origin,

Latin America has a lot of good literature as well. The Far East and Turkey has their fair share of literature.

In other words, you're a philistine.

Yeah, there was a lot of mystical shit in Australia's history, it's a shame to wonder how much of it was lost. Starting by looking at a wiki of dreamtime is a good place to start, but it's not like there's any set text such as Mythology by Edith Hamilton to sort of prepare on for further study of it, unsure if there really is much on the topic that is even well written.

Depends. We lack in books but many of our old Poetry made it's way to Britain yonks ago and now many of our works are mistaken for British.

A disgusting amount of the literature we produce is political in nature one way or another.

Nothing of value was lost. The Abbos can barely pass as human.

It's not

>it's a shame to wonder how much of it was lost
No it's not. The Abbos literally make shit up as the have for decades. They like to pretend they created anything more than stone age tier tools but even that can be a stretch.

Attached: Australian_broad_literature_guide_edit_march_2017.jpg (1760x4425, 2.12M)

We don't even have an original flag why would you expect us to have original literature?

How are you complaining about them making shit up, on a literature board, which is filled with daily threads of people discussing shit which is made up?

>No Bumface
>No Sprung!
>No Singenpoo Strikes Again

shit house list

I can count in one hand the number of good books from America.

Attached: USA-Flag.gif (400x388, 13K)

I was referring to their fabrications of Aboriginal history.
I didn't make the chart. How about Toad Rage and it's follow ups? We have a lot of good kids books desu.

Attached: ToadRage_AUS_1999.jpg (391x600, 116K)

Pretty sad when you take into consideration that Switzerland is a really well educated nation

Attached: images.png (554x554, 1K)

All of Hafiz and Ferdowsi's works (several hundred of thousand of verses). Loads of Arab court poetry and sufi religious poetry. The Ancient Testament, Ennedunna's religious hymn.

How incredible would some enormous sprawling epic about a wild west Australia and the dreamtime be? It's a real shame literature is declining in the west, because more than ever before we have access to cultures that are remote from our own, and the wonderment they can bring.

>because more than ever before we have access to cultures that are remote from our own, and the wonderment they can bring.
I love watching Europeans in the old and new world get displaced for ethnic foodstuffs.

Attached: Jean-Jacques_Rousseau.jpg (988x1252, 760K)

Well, Borges was educated in Switzerland and died later in Ginebra. I don't know if he gained citizenship tho.

>Tfw he was of Germanic decent

Attached: Jung Laughing.jpg (503x700, 52K)

As is most of Switzerland

>tfw he's "Swiss"

I'm surprised it hasn't been done. I think our wild west was very different to (the imagined) American version. But yes, it could be done. I feel like Nick Cave tried it with his film The Proposition, but from what I remember, it was quite forgettable.

Call it Australian Gothic and sell tons of copies to fans of Cormac and Flannery.

oi m8 you try to write with all these bloody spiders in your keyboard

Our "wild west" was miners and bushrangers vs gubbermint and britcucks. Gold Rush and Rum Rebellion come to mind.

Nah it's beer. I've fucked so many keyboards by spilling beer on them. The spoiders don't fuck with the pootah at all.

How quickly would that be shouted down if it weren't perfectly PC though?

Almost immediately if it gained enough attention. Fuck Pozzbourne.

Cicero was writing about how it took 500 years before Rome started producing any poets comparable to the Greeks, is it any suprise that modern young nations havent produced great literature?

Back in the day some really impressive incest themed Frozen fan fiction was written in Australia

There's a Nevil Shute book called On the Beach which is excellent, I believe he is Australian

Surprised no-one mentioned these guys.

It's sad, because I really like their paintings, architecture and humor, but have never heard of any good writing where one can feel a Belgian "identity".

Attached: 2000px-Flag_of_Belgium.svg.png (2000x1733, 7K)

>Who is Jean Jacques Rousseau, the post

>The Abbos can barely pass as human.
and the whites have no chance. fuck me.

What?

Genuine Aboriginal history is actually pretty interesting, in the 1980s there was this thing called the History Wars where the aforementioned interesting, but decidedly barbaric and violent, truth was basically covered up by people who'd have you believe they lived communing with nature until whitey showed upm
Dot paintings were invented by a white man and the Welcome to Country is a fabrication too, it's barely 50 years old.
To get anything of value you have to go back to at least the 1970s.

Peter Carey is fun but he's about the only Australian author I've found with more than one enjoyable novel. Even Canada manages to BTFO us in literature.

>Max Frisch
>Friedrich Dürrenmatt
>Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Not their fault that you don't know them.

There's Power Without Glory, it was written by a commie but is probably the closest we have to anything of value beyond children's books.

Cloud Street? All I can think of.
Did Brazil produce anyone worthwhile? I feel like they did but I can't think of anything in particular.

One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of the greatest and most beautiful books I have ever read.

That’s just one example. There are many others.

Where the fuck is Murakami on that list you fucking cretin

you have to be 18 to post here

I enjoyed his short stories very much, but having read only Oscar and Lucinda, I found myself rather let down. Is Illywhacker any better?

>I can count in one hand the number of good books from America
Probably because you’re mathematically illiterate and don’t know how to count over 5.
>Did Brazil produce anyone worthwhile?
Jorge Amado, Machado de Assis
>Where the fuck is Murakam
Absolutely agreed, Ryu Murakami deserves a place

as a Belgian I can say that Belgium does have mediocre literature, but not well known. Give Jotie T'Hooft a try.

>muh oral tradition
lmao get fucked Suriname

Attached: 255px-Flag_of_Suriname.svg.png (255x170, 1K)

I feel like apart from Munro and Gallant there isn't much to canlit. Granted, they are much better than American short story writers and European. Mistry is good. Atwood, Alistair, Davies, Cohen and the other whites are pretty mediocre along with the slew of generic immigrant fic.