Is pic related actually worth reading, or is it just a Reddit meme?

Is pic related actually worth reading, or is it just a Reddit meme?

Attached: 9780441013593.jpg (300x450, 38K)

i would like to know too

Reddit meme

definitely worth reading as a standalone. I didn't care for the sequels

Correct. Dune is interesting because of the politics, mysticism, and religious aspects. Dune Messiah skips all that and is just boring. Too bad the incest part didn’t go any further :(

Children of Dune and God Emperor bring all that back in spades though.

Worth reading, but don't expect it to be the magnum opus of the genre. It gets a lot of undue praise because edgy teen's first decent scifi, but it actually is pretty good.

I love the ideas and I love the mythology, but I don't actually like the book because there are hardly any identifiably human characters. Virtually everyone is a zen warrior philosopher supercomputer genius precognitive space wizard or something. I've spent many hours thinking about Dune ideas, but I find it hard to imagine reading the book a second time.

Actually quite a page turner. I finished it thinking 'it's good, but it's not amazing'. Quite fun to talk about with others.

it's good but also a meme

Attached: 265114_1_M.jpg (148x81, 13K)

I actually like all of the Frank Herbert Dune books, they do get pretty fucking weird at times but I still found them all intriguing. Any of the sequels/prequels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are not even worth reading at all.

Attached: dune-chronicles-1-6-by-frank-herbert.jpg (1600x1200, 173K)

THE QUEEZAAATS HAADARACKKT
THE GOM GIBBAR
SIEATCH STILGAR

It's great. Lots of themes and interesting setting and world. the pacing is good too, it's not all shooty shooty pew pew future tech world bulding (although the wb that there is manages to be compelling and not forced).

I'm not into science fiction. But the Dune series ist unironically a masterpiece. Herbert even presents boring stuff like ecumenism in an interesting way. It's full of anti-leftist ideas. Every book pushes the boundaries of the last book.

Attached: DUNE.jpg (1600x681, 189K)

Reddit.

I didn’t finish it. If I had read it when I was a teen I’m sure that I would have enjoyed it, but the only fiction I really read these days is literary classics, and the writing in Dune was simply too juvenile for me to enjoy. It’s a young adult book, I don’t think it’s for adults with an IQ above 115.

No. I couldn’t even make it through the first chapter. The neologisms are so bad they’re honestly offensive.

It's truly a masterpiece.

>Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are not even worth reading at all
Heed this warning, avoid them like the plague.

It's a good series but you really need to commit to enjoying it

Well, I'm half convinced. I'll pick up the hardback from Amazon later in the week.

Steve Donoghue is doing a read along of it right now, so it's a good time to read it.

Impressive

>anti-leftist ideas
It's shit then?

>It's full of anti-leftist ideas.
Please, elaborate.

Frank Herbert's Dune series is truly excellent. there are all sorts of complex ideas and themes woven together in an entertaining way. avoid Brian & Kevin like the plague.

this is true, it's not casual reading.

It's the proto science fiction fantasy.
I don't think it's very good though.

It's good.

Dune is similar to Star Wars. In fact, George Lucas ripped off a lot of the stuff in Dune, when he was making Star Wars. If you like the content or tone of the original Star Wars trilogy, you'll probably like Dune.

There is a combination of religious mysticism, and future technology. It also takes place around 10,000 AD (if I recall correctly). And while it never explicitly explains the history between 2,000 AD and 10,000 AD, it refers to many historical events that are interesting to think about. Things like religious unification, how humanity dealt with Artificial Intelligence, et cetera.

It's not "anti-leftist". There isn't a "left" in Dune.

The story is about a young Aristocrat, who is caught up in a conflict/war between his family, and a rival family. The conflict eventually snowballs into an event that impacts the entire Galaxy.

There is no identifiable "left wing" movement in the book. However, since it portrays an aristocratic political establishment, who aren't concerned with liberal or democratic principles, it seems very right-wing.