H. P. Lovecraft

What does Yea Forums think of H. P. Lovecraft as a person and his work?

Attached: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (512x628, 67K)

Garbage thread by a low-IQ OP. You start a thread when you have something to say, an opinion to give. If you ask for opinions, give yours first. Fuck off.

>While T. S. Eliot was inventing modern conservatism by half-heartedly trying to piece tradition back together, while James Joyce was inventing postmodern nihilism by happily spraying his ejaculate over the ruins, while Virginia Woolf was inventing elite left-liberalism by nervously pretending that spiritual-but-not-religious and privileged-but-really-guilty-about-it could somehow answer for the ruins, Lovecraft threw everything—including, above all, good taste—to the wind and devised a set of images to express something of what the world would actually look like if we ever succeeded in forgetting that we had once been Platonists or Christians or humanists. And, given that he takes his literary stand at the intersection of symbolism and naturalism no less than did Joyce, he should not even be denied a share in modernism.

>Consider how much of At the Mountains of Madness consists of Dyer’s description of the Great Old Ones’ wall friezes. A third of the novel is ekphrasis, like the book of the Iliad concerning the shield of Achilles. Consider too the mundanity of that ekphrasis. Lovecraft through Dyer tells us that the Great Old Ones ‘had passed through a stage of mechanised life on other planets, but had receded upon finding its effects emotionally unsatisfying,’ that last phrase redolent of advertising and popular psychology, and also goes on to detail the changing nature of their furnishings and home designs, such that we have to picture these winged mollusks as ‘they used curious tables, chairs, and couches like cylindrical frames—for they rested and slept upright with folded-down tentacles—and racks for the hinged sets of dotted surfaces forming their books,’ an image impossible to imagine without laughter. Lovecraft is too learned a critic and too conscious an artist to be producing such comic effects—precisely the emotional consequence of the over-literal fantastic—without design, so what, between the ekphrasis and the mundanity or near cuteness of his horrifying anti-divinities, is he trying to do? He is obviously trying to return literature to the naive concreteness of the epic, with its squabbling gods and strange journeys, its quotidian bizarrerie; he is trying to become the bard of the new age, the Homer of the scientific millennium, the de-spiritualized singer of the new gods we find on the threshold of our post-Darwinian and post-Einsteinian perceptions. It is not a question of his being better than Joyce or Eliot, but of his truly accomplishing what they only wished for and gestured toward—not the invention of a new Gothic, but rather, at long last, after the Platonic, the Christian, the humanist centuries, a cyclic poem of the universe, nothing less than the restitution of the epic to modern man.

Attached: stephen king.jpg (177x266, 12K)

N

Please keep your bad mood to yourself.

I

G

what was his cat's name again???

My bad mood is the result of you shitting up Yea Forums. Please reserve your bad posts to yourself.

You all better get your copy of his collected works before he gets canceled for being a racist.

To answer OP’s question, I really like him thematically other than the incel tier fear of miscegenation ( examples I enjoy are ideas of forbidden knowledge, mental health and madness, and the incomprehensible nature of deity and powerless of humans in the face of it). I find his prose and style, however, to be nothing special, though I like his use of arcane, obscure wording to add to the vibe of weirdness in his stories.

He's my favorite

Wrong. It's a result of the expectations you have regarding your environment. It's your own fault.

>You all better get your copy of his collected works before he gets canceled for being a racist.

Everybody knows that he was one, right?

niBBas on tha moon

Personally, I enjoy Lovecraft. I find his short stories very addictive and his longer ones very immersive.

It’s definitely worth getting a little Lovecraft compilation.

Anyone who says his racism gets in the way of his writing is a retard.

Call of Cthulhu was surprisingly boring. I don't care about HP Lovecraft the person, and suspect if he wasn't racist or whatever, Yea Forums would care about him as much as they do Henry James or James Fenimore Cooper

>Yea Forums would care about him as much as they do Henry James or James Fenimore Cooper

Which means they would not care? Sorry, I'm new to this board.

Yeah.

There's something about Lovecraft's formal and even stilted manner of writing that really works for me. Somehow the lack of a feeling of intimacy really helps create a creepy vibe for me.

Yeah. His personality as a whole is probably the reason why his works are what they are. Even his racism, nourishing his fear of the unknown, of aliens.

I agree! I don't think there is a possible non-racist version of Lovecraft. More than that, I think it's possible that Lovecraftian horror gives woke people a way to feel how racists feel about whoever it is they're being racist against.

I like his prose, and think hes great. I also think poe is good, but dont read him much, finding him less enjoyable, and Ligotti sucks, I dont get the buzz around him. Lovecraft is a favorite though. Fun ideas and world building, characters, even though they just seem like lovecraft himself, and great prose imo, which i think makes the stories.

A great poet. Wanna see his best poem?

O’er the midnight moorlands crying,
Thro’ the cypress forests sighing,
In the night-wind madly flying,
Hellish forms with streaming hair;
In the barren branches creaking,
By the stagnant swamp-pools speaking,
Past the shore-cliffs ever shrieking;
Damn’d daemons of despair.

Once, I think I half remember,
Ere the grey skies of November
Quench’d my youth’s aspiring ember,
Liv’d there such a thing as bliss;
Skies that now are dark were beaming,
Gold and azure, splendid seeming
Till I learn’d it all was dreaming—
Deadly drowsiness of Dis.

But the stream of Time, swift flowing,
Brings the torment of half-knowing—
Dimly rushing, blindly going
Past the never-trodden lea;
And the voyager, repining,
Sees the wicked death-fires shining,
Hears the wicked petrel’s whining
As he helpless drifts to sea.

Evil wings in ether beating;
Vultures at the spirit eating;
Things unseen forever fleeting
Black against the leering sky.
Ghastly shades of bygone gladness,
Clawing fiends of future sadness,
Mingle in a cloud of madness
Ever on the soul to lie.

Thus the living, lone and sobbing,
In the throes of anguish throbbing,
With the loathsome Furies robbing
Night and noon of peace and rest.
But beyond the groans and grating
Of abhorrent Life, is waiting
Sweet Oblivion, culminating
All the years of fruitless quest.

I think everyone would hate black people if they had enough interactions with them. HPL was a good man

kek this

Sissyfag detected

I really wish I could bring him back to life to see how many people are appreciating his work since he never got any success while he was above ground.

>maturity is calm acceptance to contemporary conditions
Pathetic.

He probably wouldn't like the people enjoying his work. He was content to have a close circle of talented fans, he only seems upset that he wasn't making enough money and didn't seem too interested in fame. It's not like he was van gough, he was respected by his contemporaries in his time and decently "famous"

You literally cannot understand the existential dread of lovecrafts work without having your soul resonate with his racism. If you aren't vehemently racist and you praise lovecraft you are a larping brainlet who likes big monsters or just thinks he had good prose (which is usually only evident in his letters)

We just had this thread...

Yeah, do a Chas. Dexter Ward on his ass!
:-)

But does it matter wether or not I can understand it? Isn't the only thing of imprtance wether or not you've been entertained by these stories? I mean, I for example have never been able to actually feel any kind dread when consuming media and am still entertained by some of it. While I do like his prose and find the creatures in hsi stories fascinating, I wouldn't say any praise I give his works would be insincere for I can enjoy a horror story for more than just the dread I feel while reading it.

>But does it matter wether or not I can understand it?
Of course it does. if you don't understand it you won't enjoy it for the right reasons, and will only enjoy them on a superficial level. Elements of Lovecrafts work all work holistically with each other, you don't really understand the elements you like if you don't understand their context.

He hated whites too you realize? He hated everyone that wasn’t a subhuman anglo.

It's not just racism btw. You also have to be aware that "God is dead" and understand the terrifying implications this has on human life and the nature of the world around us, instead of just being a dumb atheist or a libertine who becomes the beast he worships.

Most intelligent or well read people do, but i have the feeling some soccer mom or intersectional feminist 18 year old will find out one day and throw a fit.

Hopefully that never happens but it wouldn’t surprise me.

A lot of completions are already censored, I have one that doesn't have the rats in the walls.

Never read this one, thanks, made my day.

Don't tempt me.

I'M GOING TO SAY IT!

N-Ni
i can't remember can someone remind me?

>He hated whites too you realize?
He did not HATE other whites. He only praised the Anglo-Saxon race as it was common in the 20th century amongst English-Speaking white nationalists (although, I highly doubt he was one. He simply lived side by side with blacks long enough to realise that you can barely call them people.)

He never openly expressed his detest for, say, celts, or slavs, or franks.

I believe -gg- comes next, but not sure what goes after that...
Perhaps, someone could remind us?

There was a knight who said NI
in online games, people often say GG
A sound of hesitation is ER
HP Lovecraft was a polite MAN

Is it just me or do Lovecraft and Zuckerberg look similar?

>ni
>gg
>er
>man
NIGGERMAN!!!

Attached: giphy.gif (640x480, 722K)

meaning over content, huge influence and legacy, literary copernicus
>Chambers, Hodgson
not even close

famous racist :^)