What books deal with being a Christian during modern times?

What books deal with being a Christian during modern times?

Attached: af28890f2473870e8f6cf3ba1ef84751.jpg (477x600, 99K)

Chesterton: “It cannot be too often repeated that what destroyed the Family in the modern world was Capitalism. No doubt it might have been Communism, if Communism had ever had a chance, outside that semi-Mongolian wilderness where it actually flourishes. But so far as we are concerned, what has broken up households and encouraged divorces, and treated the old domestic virtues with more and more open contempt, is the epoch and power of Capitalism.”
>It is Capitalism that has forced a moral feud and a commercial competition between the sexes; that has destroyed the influence of the parent in favor of the influence of the employer; that has driven men from their homes to look for jobs; that has forced them to live near their factories or their firms instead of near their families; and, above all, that has encouraged for commercial reasons, a parade of publicity and garish novelty, which is in its nature the death of all that was called dignity and modesty by our mothers and fathers— Chesterton’s “The Three Foes of the Family” in The Common Man
>Just as one generation could prevent the very existence of the next generation, by all entering a monastery or jumping into the sea, so one set of thinkers can in some degree prevent further thinking by teaching the next generation that there is no validity in any human thought… It is idle to talk always of the alternative of reason and faith. Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all…. There is a thought that stops thought. That is the only thought that ought to be stopped. That is the ultimate evil against which all religious authority was aimed. It only appears at the end of decadent ages like our own—Chesterton in Orthodoxy
>We are certainly not getting the most individual or the most interesting qualities out of men. And it is doubtful whether we ever shall, until we shut off this deafening din of megaphones that drowns their voices, this deathly glare of limelight which kills the colours of their complexions, this plangent yell of platitudes which stuns and stops their minds. All this sort of thing is killing thoughts as they grow, as a great white death ray might kill plants as they grow—Chesterton’s “The Holiday of the Slave” in The Outline of Sanity
“The coming peril is the intellectual, educational, psychological and artistic overproduction, which, equally with economic overproduction, threatens the wellbeing of contemporary civilisation. People are inundated, blinded, deafened, and mentally paralysed by a flood of vulgar and tasteless externals, leaving them no time for leisure, thought, or creation from within themselves” (Chesterton speaking in Toronto in 1930).

Daniel

Nietzsche's books.

the bible
“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you."

Joseph Campbell, Konrad Dietzfelbinger, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Walter Schubart, Donald Whitney

do you mean books that feed into an undeserved persecution complex, or books that deal with trying to negotiate a compromise between ancient and modern belief systems?

not OP, but im guessing he means the latter. What are your picks?

Yeah! You tell those Easter worshippers!

The epistle of jude

The Idiot's Guide to Live Action Roleplay

Dude, don't even bring up those poor slain souls for the sake of advancing your arguments - every religious faith has somewhere at some point been the victim of persecution and slaughter. Christians are not unique among this group. Ordinary Christians do very often hold an undeserved persecution complex, believing any tie where they cannot exercise religious domination in a sector to be a case of wrongful injustice against them. If Genesis can't be taught in modern education, or scientists refuse to accept our mythology as the correct explanation for the cosmos, then of course it means persecution.

Yet I find Christians to have more hatred for more groups of people than most other religious faiths (but Islam is up there), so this quote seems unreasonable. Would be more fitting if spoken by an LGBT Jesus, to his LGBT brethren.

Okay, I chuckled. Good one. Wish you couldn't have included the term "idiot", but it was part of the joke and not intended as an insult by you. Not a Christian, but just trying to bring more compassion to this place.

Yeah, indirectly, everything Houellebecq wrote.

Some of the better Chesterton quotes floating around.

>do you mean books that feed into an undeserved persecution complex
It's not 'undeserved'; when your spiritual antithesis have ownership of majority of available information feed and distribution systems, you will be persecuted by default, even moreso than by drive.

Attached: 1547984054968.jpg (4500x4602, 3.88M)

>He follows Judeo-Christianity, of all the available cultures to choose from
>He reads the Old Testament as a sacred document of his spiritual tradition
>His scriptures are either in Hebrew or Greek
>His savior spoke in a language part of the same family as Hebrew
>His Almighty is the same as theirs, and has a Hebrew name
>Jews gave him his faith, but he accuses them of trying to subvert it

It's clear that "Jews" have nothing to do with your perceived persecution - maybe a political ideology is what your values is being eroded by, and maybe Jewish people happen to head the positions of power which allow them to promote such ideologies. But it's just too ironic to see Christians complain about Jews, when you're really brothers, and Jesus said you must love your brother to love God, didn't he?

the new testament preaches ultimately for us to love our next as we love ourselves, regardless of anything.
Yes, they are sinners, yes, they will burn in hell, yes, homosexuality is not normal nor natural, etc, etc, but it doesn't say to attack homosexuals in any way. You are putting the actions/words of people that have never even read the bible against the bible itself. Not exactly fair

Yes I bet LARPing autistic hentai addicted poltards like you were the kind of people Jesus was talking about :)

He pretends to worship Yahweh the God of the Jews and His Jewish Son Jesus and still thinks he can be an antisemite while being Christian. You can't.

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Well, condemning them seems to be in the spirit of the words of the Bible. Restricting their freedom and attempting to change their ways also seems in line with the teachings. If you think homosexuality is inherently immoral, then you wouldn't consider such treatment of them throughout history as "persecution", since it'd be like calling a culture of thieves "persecuted" for people attempting to arrest them, who were really doing the correct action. But in my case, since I don't consider it immoral, I consider it unfair persecution.

I hate /pol/ as much as I hate anime, mangas and hentai, my guy. Also I never said anything about me.
Why all this revolt?

Well, looking back at history my ignorance starts to show, I have read and know little of it, but I have read the bible and my statement about loving the next as much as yourself remains. Yes, it says in the old testament, "if a man lies with a male like with a woman, he shall be put to death, for that is an abomination", but the new testament pretty much overwrites that. When asked what exactly must one do in, Jesus answered 2 things: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these."
And I didn't say it was immoral, I said it was not normal, which can't be argued against, since if homosexuality was the norm our civilization would no longer exist, and that it was, under the Thomist view, unnatural.
Not saying there are not christians that hate (and hated, and persecuted) homosexuals (specially /pol/ deus vult LARPers) and that don't want to give them any rights, it's just my view of it