What version of Thucydides does Yea Forums recommend? Is the landmark edition the way to go?

What version of Thucydides does Yea Forums recommend? Is the landmark edition the way to go?
>inb4 read the original text in Greek
I may learn Greek at some point, but English is my first language
What version of the Peloponnesian war is the best?

Attached: 81rr5IWm99L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (1197x1500, 330K)

Other urls found in this thread:

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0199
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I read the Landmark Herodotus and it was great so I'm sure Landmark Thucydides is too. I personally found Everyman's version of Thucydides very tough to get through (I couldn't get past like page 50) probably partly because of the translation & lack of maps.

Read Hobbes’ version. Quite beautiful prose in itself

>inb4 read the original text in Greek

you already know the answer it seems. translation is for plebs

The Cambridge edition, which is Mynott's translation. The most recent translation of Thucydides into English. Very literal but readable, includes maps and plenty of extra material. Better than the Landmark edition because of its more accurate translation. I guess you can get the Landmark for its extra material, but if you only can get one edition of Thucydides, then go for the Cambridge one.

Yeah, the Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought version is the best single edition available.

Thucydides' Greek is way too fucking hard to puzzle out, so even as a classics PhD candidate at a top uni you rely on translations. My advisor jokes that Thucy is so difficult and we are so removed from Greek that if new Thucy fragments or books were found, not enough the most talented profs could read them. He's exaggerating, but the point stands.

Landmark is great (not the trans, the edition as a whole w maps etc).

r*tard, this isn't true. thucydides was a very clear writer. it's sorting out the context that is difficult since he was one of the first long-form historians. the context is confusing in english as well due to lack of knowledge of the events that occurred then.

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0199

whole text available online for free user

Is the translation the landmark uses really archaic? I read it's a 19th century translation. If it's pretty difficult to read I may just go with Cambridge since it is more recent

Does the hobbes version have maps/notes? I found these to be helpful when reading Herodotus

lol
>The number of people who can understand the whole of Thucydides can easily be counted, and there are parts of it not even these can manage without a grammatical commentary.

You know who said that? It's okay, we all know you don't. Hint: it wasn't a 21st century pseudo lit cockmongler like yourself, it was fucking Dionysius of Halicarnassus 2100 years ago. Thucydides is famously the most difficult of all Greek prose. I know you're a liar and probably a child, but yes, I am still mad. Fuck I miss when lit at least pretended to care about books

I'm reading the Landmark Version at the moment, really enjoying it. Wish I had used the Landmark Version for Herodotus as well (I read the Penguin edition).

The translation is fine, it's late 19th century. In the introduction Strassler says he edited it slightly, breaking some of the very long sentences into multiple parts, but left the speeches untouched apart from changing them from British to American spelling. Definitely get the Landmark edition OP IMO

ur still wrong r*tard, stay mad lmao

You are the reason Yea Forums is bad. You personally

>Self censoring yourself
Retard

>that guy

Attached: 1546898402531.png (512x510, 143K)

Currently reading the Oxford World Classics edition, it has a few maps in the back which are helpful but honestly if you're just reading to find out where stuff happened you're going about this the wrong way

am i the only person constantly distracted by the endless footnotes in landmark editions? its like reading in 4d.

Attached: 1548468935971.jpg (353x400, 33K)

Write out a small paragraph of grammatically correct Greek then, smart guy.

I got the penguin Herodotus as well. I've enjoyed it, but flipping to the back for maps gets old

Geography is important in war, flipping back and forward can be annoying. That said, I have a full size poster of a map of ancient Greece so I didn't get the landmark myself, but I can see how it would be very useful.

You should know that it’s poor form to inb4 as op.

Why do landmark translations have to suck so bad? If they didn't fuck up the text they would have been the definitive version of these texts.

I'm reading Thucydides without any maps for the most part. I memorised the majority of Greek locations from reading Herodotus and Plutarch. If I need to find where a certain place is then I just go on Google maps.

The new ones (Ceasar) are good. The old ones are probably public domain because Strasser couldn't afford a new translator for his new series.

>Is the translation the landmark uses really archaic?
Who said anything about it being "archaic"? It's just not as accurate as Mynott's because the Landmark translation takes liberties with the syntax in order to adapt it to 19th century English sensibilities. For example, the Landmark translation is famously very aphoristic, but Thucydides's Greek isn't. That's the liberties I'm referring to: it packages Thucydides's thought into easy and convenient aphorisms and maxims, thereby "conveying the meaning" but not the argumentation and difficulties it actually poses. Difficulty here does not matter, since Thucydides is difficult in itself and 19th century English syntax and rhetoric is not difficult to understand. My point is that Mynott's translation is better because it's more accurate to the Greek original.

I know a lot of places, but there's more minor places I don't know and don't want to stop and pull up a map online

is accuracy better than readability though. "accurate" often means "rendered into tortured and indigestible prose by some academic pedant with no ear for English"

many such cases

Don't project your anxieties and prejudices onto a text or translation. Mynott's rendition reads well, as much as Thucydides can be said to "read well". Accuracy and readability are not mutually exclusive at all, and the Landmark edition, for all its aphoristic style and rhetoric flare, is pretty cumbersome, in my opinion. Still readable and enjoyable, to be sure, but not as accurate and enjoyable as Mynott. Hell, if you want prose that sounds fancy, you are better off with Hobbes's translation, and yet it would not be readable enough because it's fucking Thucydides.