Over the past 2 years I have almost exclusively read Wittgenstein and Wittgenstein related lit, partly due to school...

Over the past 2 years I have almost exclusively read Wittgenstein and Wittgenstein related lit, partly due to school, but also partly to appease my inner autist. Currently though, I'm feeling as though I'm stuck in a rut and am wanting to widen my horizons a bit. What are some good continental, or at the very least, non-ordinary language philosophy books I could read about the philosophy of language?

Attached: IMG_1351.jpg (1242x1242, 455K)

literally Wittgenstein is the only interesting philosopher of language (and Frege if he counts). Have you read people like Austin, Searle? They're boring as fuck. And most continental writers (at least 20th century ones) wrote nonsense. Just learn logic /math so you can read the interesting and rigorous stuff like Chomsky's linguistic work and information theory.

How hard was it to teach yourself the tractatus?

cringe

I've read Austin and Searle and didn't find them particularly boring, at least in comparison to Wittgenstein. I'll consider reading Chomsky though.

Read Cervantez

Not even how it's spelled, retard.

Heidegger.
That’s another lifetime of work there.

Start with Metaphysics Foundatioms of Logic, History of the Concept of Time and the Basic Problems of Phenomenology
Then, do Being and Time.
Check out Dreyfous’ MIT lecture on Heidegger available on Open Culture and maybe from there Essay’s After Heidegger and Gadamer’s Heidegger’s ways.

Absolute cringe

pic related is the only Heidegger I have at the moment, worth a read?

Attached: 41ybRaIfChL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (327x499, 20K)

derrida

Wittgenstein hardly wrote anything. Either you were reading very slowly or most of those two years were devoted to the Wittgenstein related lit.

he literally posted his wittgenstein stack you retard.
>well, just read PI cover to cover, guess I can move on now.
fucking hell mate

I see 15 books in that stack, several of which are thin.

Heidegger.

Being and Time.

He was Wittgenstein's Mentor.

Better than him, too.

Ugh, I don't think Wittgenstein wrote in English. Looks like you haven't read any thing he ever wrote!! LMAO

not ashamed to admit it took basically half a year just for me to finish and fully understand Kripke's commentary on W. Slow reader in general I guess.

Lol what? Do you mean Godamer?
Witt's mentor was frege and russel particularly and Moore a bit. You should read Wittgenstein's Vienna

Heidegger is the most cringe philosopher lmao stay mad you don't know any math or logic so have to settle for that junk

Based but Chomsky is a fag

OP don't listen to these people telling you to read Heidegger, please don't read Heidegger

Did you read Wittgenstein-core fiction like Wittgenstein's Mistress, and Wittgenstein's Nephew?

I can't comprehend the amount of time and literature that is dedicated to this autist. He is perhaps the most overrated thinker ever. He even disowned his own work.

If you were as rich as he was and had private tutors payed for by daddy and could show up at Oxford and yell at people without consequence you would've made just as big an impact on philosophy. And now cucks are stuck reading his autistic bipolar writing like it's the cure to cancer. The absolute state of the world.

no, but I read a bit of DFW's Broom of the System, didn't much care for it. Thinking about reading The World As I Found it too.

There are some really great books on Wittgenstein in German, learn German.

What do you think of Suba Hibi? The visual novel that was inspired by the Tractatus

Attached: Subahibi cover.png (500x775, 264K)

Haven't read it and probably won't, not really much of a weeb, but to each their own

whats the best tractatus secondary

Read Guenon on symbolism / the nature of the symbol

that would be a pretty radically divergent approach to language

>Remarks on the Foundations of Mathematics
If a philosopher can write volumes on math, only for mathematicians to dismiss it entirely and criticize it for correctness, then what again is the point?

Do you even quaddition?

>then what again is the point?
idk, I personally bought it just to see why he couldn't accurately understand Godel's theorems, i.e. to see what points in his general methodology led him to faulty outlooks/conclusions, then carrying that close analysis of his methodology to other areas of his work. Beyond Wittgenstein scholars it is admittedly basically worthless.

Roger White's Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus

Is Kripke on W good? I can't find a reasonably priced copy around here and got less fixated on this topic in the last couple years

Attached: IMG_201907091.jpg (986x730, 169K)

hey op, check out vygostky and luria for understanding language acquisition. Piaget is a pretty well known name but I think he's a charlatan.

If you're looking for something a little different, this is a 500-page elucidation and interpretation of Wittgenstein's remarks on philosophical thanatology and solipsism in the Tractatus. It comes to some pretty startling conclusions about death and the self while using certain obscure problems in the philosophy of dreaming to draw out the nature of the problems under consideration. It is written by someone steeped both in the analytic and continental traditions and, in addition, has some interesting things to say about the nature of philosophy itself. Perfect for someone already familiar with Wittgenstein and looking for something different.

Attached: dds.jpg (267x406, 10K)

definitely will check this one out, thx

Nothing wrong with being a slow reader. I was just bustin' your balls.

Was it worth it ? What are some of the important impacts it’s had on your life ?

OP you are the man I've been waiting for. Please tell me about the late-era Wittgenstein's philosophy of Mathematics. Is it pure critique or does he posit a coherent theory of his own? What are the implications of mathematical statements not being propositions?

Yes, it may remind you of Late Witty. Also, a Dialogue on Language may be interesting as a supplemental piece. I'd say to follow up this reading with John Sallis commentary, as Heidegger can be nebulous.

Attached: Heidegger.jpg (1579x1600, 506K)

Read Heidegger and Gadamer.

Absolutely!

Why would you read anything else besides Wittgenstein? He's the greatest philosopher the 20th Century.

Attached: 1562193415716.jpg (640x360, 215K)

Who are some philosophers who combine mathematics and philosophy?

any philosophy of mathematics
and Badiou

Frege, Wittgenstein, Mario Bunge, Quine -- pretty much any real philosopher. Any 'philosopher' who doesn't know any math is usually closer to a literary critic or historian than a philosopher -- which is fine, but just call them by their right name.