German or french

which has the better literature? I need help deciding which one I should learn.

Attached: thumbs_b_c_de11e61e91f980ffe627f5c41e7bf243.jpg (1024x576, 318K)

German. The frenchies have no hope of beating the Kant - Hegel - Marx trio, and as far as "literature" goes, they are about even.

If you like Philosophy maybe German
But my heart is with based French literature

euh mec c'est pas en parlant teuton que tu vas serrer quoi que ce soit

French. Even though its just Proust its much more than any german every wrote. Proust truly is the giant in time he wrote about. Read that book 10 years ago and more and more just keeps popping up in my head now.

Le francais est une langue negre.

both

Latin

The germans had a lot of philosopher, like Kant, Marx, Nietzsce. Bu the french have more culture than Germany

I chose French and it's been great, but German has Kant, Hegel, and Marx, so the answer is easy.

Any tips to learn French? My native language is Spanish, by the way.

German literature is pretty great but most people who don't speak German have no idea about German literature.

German if you're into philosophy. French if you're into literature.

Recommendations?

Mein Kampf

Not really. The "French for Reading" book is okay.

My tip is surround yourself with media in that language if you really want to learn it. Not just books but also music, films, comics, etc.

one makes you sound like a homo the other makes you sound like a... someone finish this for me

You also have Jung, Freud, and Faust to read. German also sounds much cooler than French. I think German and Russian are the coolest sounding languages because of thr hard consonants.

However, due to the gendered articles that change based on verb tense with completely arbitrary rules I would say German is harder in the long run. On the front end, the amount of verb and noun similarity make German easy from English. The capitalization of nouns is nice and phonetically everything is easy to spell. However, the sentence structures and gendered nouns and articles that change make things more difficult later on once you get into more and more conjugations.

French seems that it would be harder on the front end with learning verbs and nouns as well as spelling but then would be simpler later like all the Romantic languages.

German pluralization rules are fucking stupid.

>several different ways to pluralize words, all with their own rules
>all the rules have hundreds of exceptions and special cases

Car engineer

guten tag hier ist mein wurst

Diene Mutter schlecht meine Hinter.

yes an autistic

>, due to the gendered articles that change based on verb tense with completely arbitrary rules I would say German is harder in the long run
Anglofag's first language. Aww aren't they cute all confused by genders? lmao

Exactly. Just reading "À la recherche du temps perdu" would be worth it.
But then you can also read "Les contemplations" by Victor Hugo ; Montherlant, Balzac, Stendhal, Dumas, Camus, Céline, Aragon, Calaferte, Sartre, Corneille, Saint-Exupéry...
Actually, even reading "Vol de nuit" by Saint-Exupéry would justify learning French.

>Céline

Was he really that mindblowing in French?

I'm confused that Madchen doesn't get a feminine article.

I'd suggest Racine, Corneille, La Fontaine

Not him but he's kinda hard to translate right from the first few sentences (what the fuck's " les oeufs à la coque"?). I wouldnt call him mindblowing, just better in his original language.

Well, I'm confused by Wednesday, marijuana, colonel, snuck, etc.

Germans don't consider you female unless you're a thick MILF.

If you want to read you don't have to give a shit about memorizing any grammar rules and just focus on recognizing it.

I unironically enjoy Thomas Mann and get labeled a weirdo.

But for a bit lesser well known authors: Some of my favorites are W.G. Sebald, Leo Perutz and Christian Kracht.

It's not what you would call "mindblowing" but it's written in such a way it's very interesting to read in it's original version. Another thing that comes to mind is Georges Perec, for instance. This absolute madman managed to write a whole damn book without using the letter "e". In French. You just need to read it to believe it.

>I unironically enjoy Thomas Mann and get labeled a weirdo.
That may be due to the fact that the guy was a homosexual pedophile with incestuous tendencies, as in, he fantasized about fucking his own son. He was a very good writer, though. And we must learn to separate the art from the artist.

If you want to have a bit of an edgy read in German that's also well written, I would suggest reading In Stahlgewittern by Ernst Jünger.

You mean the phonetics don't work in English? It's because we appropriated other languages. Marijuana is spanish and colonel is butchered french. We Americans also call our main courses "entrees" rather than the starters or appetizers. Wednesday is just some dumb shit but they taught us in grade school to think of it as the wedding of the week since it is day 4 of 7 so "Wednes-day"

>Marijuana is spanish
The funny thing is that marijuana is called "marihuana" in Spanish (the H being silent, of course), and an alternative spelling is "mariguana". So "marijuana" doesn't fit in either English nor Spanish. It's a completely 100% bullshit spelling created by US politicians in the early 1900s in order to make the drug seem more exotic, alien and nocive. The J in it doesn't correspond to a Spanish J nor to an English J.

There is only one writer to be read: Goethe. Learn German, know beauty and truth.

I know the whole hemp paper story yes. Reefer madness and all that. So just call it cannabis if you're so inclined.

What did he do besides Faust?

I will, whenever I have the chance in English, as I am a Spanish speaker.

Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship

based

Pro-tip: learn a language based on where it will be useful. If you want to work in Central Europe, German's a good language. If you learn French, there's a good chance you'll wind up doing a lot of work with Africa. If you learn Spanish, you'll probably wind up dealing with Latin America. If you learn Russian, you'll deal with the former Soviet regions in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. If you learn Mandarin, you'll deal with China. Learn Arabic to deal with the MENA region. And so on.

>If you learn French, there's a good chance you'll wind up doing a lot of work with Africa.
lmao the absolute state of francofags

Attached: 1111.jpg (248x189, 15K)

I'd learn French just to read Marcel Proust.

t. francophone

J'AI RI

Yo también estoy aprendiendo Frances. Me acabo de enterar que pasé el examen Delf de B1 (se que no es nada) y estoy muy emocionado. Lo que hice para aprender fue encontrar un profesor que me diera clases particulares 2 veces a la semana y fui vivi en lugares francófonos durante los veranos para practicar más. Disfruta tu aprendizaje

>les oeufs à la coque
eggs of a cock, I'm geussing he means something impossible or absured

am I the only one that don't care about philosophy when learning a different language to be able to read books in that language?
I mean, seriously, how realistically is it for a non-native German speaker to read Kant or Hegel in German? What is even the point besides curiosity? Even germans read it in english since apparently it is much clearer than in German.
That said, between the 2 I'd go for french, though if I had other options I'd go for latin > italian > russian > french/spanish/portuguese

Attached: football.jpg (1200x746, 266K)

>Even germans read it in english since apparently it is much clearer than in German.
Never go full retard.

well I have read about cases of this, be it retarded or not

The Count of Monte Cristo monsieur..

If anything, English occludes the meaning even further. You need to read them in German.

then I suppose every philosopher that came after him either was fluent in german or didn't understand Kant, is what you're saying?

The English translation doesn't have e in it either, which I think is more impressive

Every word ending in -chen is neuter.

Most philosophers read him in German, yes.

PHILOSOPHY IS NOT LITERATURE. FRANCE >>> GERMANY

that's not what I asked, though.
Again, you are saying it is impossible to understand Kant or Hegel in any other language but german?

> which I think is more impressive
Not really. E has a 12% frequency in English and a 14% frequency in French. In other words, it's more frequent in French than in English, so a French text lacking the E letter has more merit.

But it's also a translation

I'm saying it's the ideal way which would enable you to fully appreciate the original texts without occlusions of any kind. I never once mentioned impossibilities. But tell me, what's better: to see a picture of a party or to experience said party yourself by attending?

What do you mean? La Disparition was originally written in French.

>I never once mentioned impossibilities.
>"You need to read them in German."
I agree, obviously the ideal would be to read the original of everything, but for a non-native german speaker, reading Hesse is already enough trouble, trying Kant, unless one has more than a decade of dedication to studying/reading in german, would likely be impracticable. To each his own though, it's a hell of an achievement for a guy that learned german.
If I knew german, I'd dedicate it to goethe, mann, döblin, musil...

I'm saying that an English translation which STILL has no e's is the most impressive

But every other language also did their own translation lacking a letter. That's the whole gimmick.

The Dutch translators BTFO'd Perec.

Sebald is a real gem. Kracht probably the most popular contemporary artist not really a deep cut. I like Heinrich Mann better than Thomas, less serious and more entertaining. I'd also add Stifter who's always underrated and Doderer.

Rational, organised, congeal English peasant with something overly sweet being sucked.

He invented colour.

Kek, Schiller and Kleist are superior though, speaking strictly literature wise

>>If you learn French, there's a good chance you'll wind up doing a lot of work with Africa
maybe the kind of work varies

Attached: french k anon.jpg (2592x1936, 719K)

Wilhelm Meister, Young Werther, important contributor to Sturm and Drang movement, several articles on philosophy, science, and art. encouraged Schiller. Revered by Napoleon, Schopenhauer, and NIetzche. National poet of Germany.

Why not both? I'm fluent in English and Spanish is my mothertongue so my objective is to learn both German and French.

whichever one sounds better to you.

fiction: french
non-fiction: german

This.

Russian for the literature, German for the philosophy, French for the brothels.

English should (re)adopt the forms of Wodensday and Thorsday desu. Friday is fine as it is, though.

>Yeah I don't use French words when speaking English.

Attached: 834.png (680x760, 191K)

>use

Russian literature is tiresome and boring after a while. Too realist. While French has all sorts of literary trends in it.

Eh, the Norman bastardization that is modern English is a lost cause. Unless you plan on LARPing as an Old English speaker, you might as well profit of its rich vocabulary.
I just despise the French language. Had to learn that shit in school and it felt akin to castration. It's the most effeminate, disgusting European language (quite fitting for a nation of decadent aristocrats and later on decadent burgers).

>I just despise the French language. Had to learn that shit in school and it felt akin to castration. It's the most effeminate, disgusting European language (quite fitting for a nation of decadent aristocrats and later on decadent burgers).
It sounds pretty faggy, I agree. And only 60% of it is actually pronounced.

It's not that hard. Siddhartha is one of the easiest books to read for a student of Die deutsche Sprache.

I'll give you Kant, but he's damn hard in any language. 10 years is a bit of an overstatement, though.

J'aimerais apprendre l'allemand, la littérature française est excéllent mais je veux étudier la philosophie et en ce regard c'est sans compétition l'allemagne qui est gagnant
>t. canadien qui avait appris le français

You forgot canada, a lot of govt jobs require french and french is well regarded. I heard it's useful in america too and that lots of germans speak french, it's by no means a useless language and probably more useful in the workplace than german.

>Russian for the literature
what a joke

>Kant - Hegel - Marx
One of these things is not like the others

Attached: 1544652251153.jpg (285x279, 17K)

This.

?

Ich fick eure Mütter ihr Larrys werdet niemals deutsch sprechen amk

German for philosophy and probably French for the rest

>most people who don't speak German have no idea about German literature.
Absolutely true for French literature as well. Whenever I see someone mentioning Camus, Voltaire or Sade for the hundredth time instead of, say Schwob, Char, Heredia or Péguy I die a little.

Russian. But, among those two, French by far.

German.

The entire body of French philosophy isn't even worth as much as Hegel's big toe.

fuck you we already got enough faggy frenchs outside montreal

Marx was a philosopher too, but with a strong and very clear set of political goals.

you would have to stop speaking most of the language then

Das nennst du deutsch? Jung, komm her und ich hau dir die Birne ein.

French for horses
German for dogs