What’s your reading schedule like? Do you read a set number of pages or chapters a day?

What’s your reading schedule like? Do you read a set number of pages or chapters a day?

Attached: 23E2FDA5-04E8-4333-954B-E08AD4911144.jpg (233x350, 17K)

I try to finish a book at least every ten days unless it is very long. That usually comes out to between 20-50 pages per day.

just sit and read.

This man, in my country. He is nothing

I read until there is a page break, basically. Until the author/editor/translator decides it's time to separate something. Usually a chapter or section.

When I'm reading propositional mathematics/logic, then it's after a proposition or two sometimes more.

I read one chapter of Schumpeter today, and section 5 of book XI of The Almagest, about ten pages left. Sometimes you just have to push through. Some days are easier than others, and if you are rotating books it's easier to get through the dense ones faster. But I know that I've been reading this damn Almagest for over a year now and it's getting fucking old :3

i only read at night for some odd reason

Same. After midnight with a cup of coffee is the comfiest reading environment for me.

I don't read a set number of pages per day, I simply read until I'm disinterested.
I usually try to finish the book withing a day, unless it's exceptionally long or a reference.
Lastly, I only read one book at a time. I've juggled multiple books in the past, but prefer to read one at a time.

Attached: 1550870490935.gif (500x558, 1.47M)

>I usually try to finish the book withing a day
How do you do it? The average book is a couple hundred pages and those usually take some time to get through. Do you retain everything you're reading as well? Good on you lad.

Don’t you have a job?

We have this thread everyday and it is stupid.
You can not read different authors at the same pace. And a writer with lots of metaphor, like salman Rushdie, with a phrase like
>and the Kong’s jester was a skeleton in smoke
Do you pause to visually /feel/ the scene, seeing the jester and the smoke and visual of the king being scared? Or do you think, that’s cool, let’s go back to the story?
Well the answer is it depends on the book.
Real answer. Read read read, you will feel like you are reading a lot
, the. You are reading even more, and realize you are still not reading a lot and then you are reading all the time

Only poor people work

I generally read a book at a consistent pace but that pace varies wildly depending on the book. Short story collections I will read at a rate of a story a day.

uni student with late classes so I can stay up pretty late and still get some sleep in.

What happens when you run out of money?

:3

Read until eyes hurt. Also what the fuck why is Yea Forums now full of retard who constantly yap "I read 20 pages a day, do I have to read more, am I lit yet?". Fuck no. You can easily read far more a day just even when in bathtub, or waiting somewhere - at least half of a shorter book. Whole book can be matter of few days at most, not weeks. No wonder people get bored if they forget what happened in the book 3 weeks ago because of their retard level ability of "looking at words".

>You can easily read far more a day just even when in bathtub
>tfw it took me 2 hours to read 20 pages of Cormac McCarthy

Mature age student who went back to uni to do a BA again. Have all summer now to sit back and read anything I want. Going to shoot for 30-50 pages of academic stuff for school/dissertation, and then 100+ leisure a day. Aim to read 3 or 4 books a week. Probably going to read about 3-5 hours a day now. Looking forward to it. Feels good. Reading through Murakami now, chronologically. Ill finish him in a few weeks. Then maybe Bret Easton Ellis? I like to go through authors chronologically so I can try and track their evolution as writers.

>murakami
Noice. There’s something about Murakami’s books that make them really fun to read and really hard to put down.

I go to bed and give myself 2 additional hours to read. Might be a page break or the end of the book or a chapter.

If houellebecq is a doomer, murakami is a bloomer. I consider the latter a bit dishonest, as he writes sort of /r9k/ wish fullfilment fantasy "mc is still useless neckbeard, but also a cool guy at the same time!". On another hand, always nice to have a positive take on the feels.

Based

I have been unemployed since I graduated, without distinction, from a respectable college five years ago. Due to some lucky investments I've been spared the embarrassment of moving back in with momma and papa, applying for some sort of welfare or, worst of all, seeking employment. I live in a community of around 10,000 people for whom I feel nothing, no respect, attachment or fellow feeling. I live in a detached three-bedroom, two-and-a-half bath suburban house built in the 1980s. It is unique in my subdivision because it was designed by the architect of all the others. Other houses have duplicates, mirror-images, but not mine. When I take walks at night, smoking cigarettes that are now $7.35 a pack after taxes, I make a game of comparing the duplicates--how well the lawn is maintained and so on--but there is no duplicate of my house, with the white vinyl siding, sitting pretty on a 1/4 acre plot. My county is rural but moderately wealthy, and by car I have easy access to several mid-sized cities. I am surrounded by families, but I live alone in that house, a house which could accommodate five people.

I wake up every day in the afternoon. I try to correct this, and occasionally I manage, in a fit of rectitude, to wake up before noon. But generally, I am waking up no earlier than 4:00 pm. I make coffee, or drink what is left over from the previous day. In the summers I put this coffee on ice, mix it with some heavy cream, and take it outside. I have a vinyl chair outside that I like to sit in. I smoke a cigarette as I drink the first glass of coffee. I generally piss away the first hour of my waking like this, too dazed even to look at my phone by the coffee and the cigarette and the sun. And it is getting hotter every year, I believe. Then I read in the vinyl chair, refilling now and again my glass of iced coffee, and smoking. Sometimes I put down the book entirely when I smoke, other times I continue to read. But apart from shitting or whatever I carry along like that until it is too dark to continue. I read, then, from 5:00 pm or so until 9:30 or 10:00 pm. I have no set number of pages, but generally I manage at least 150, except when I read poetry, where I tend to become hung up. Rereading the same poem, or few poems, until they become invisible and senseless. I go inside then. Eat some cheese or something, drive to the gas station for more cigarettes, then I begin to drink. Some people still try to contact me. Generally I'm too exhausted, but I make an effort to reply before I get too drunk. When I get drunk enough I watch AMC's Mad Men on my Playstation 3, and take walks. Around 5:00 or 6:00 am I take 400 milligrams of diphenhydramine and maybe smoke some weed. By 8:00 I am asleep. And it just continues.

i read until the last turd tumbles out my butt then i slip the ole page marker back in and wipe

if the book is under 200 pages, i usually finish it in a day. otherwise, 70-150 pages a day.
if i'm busy or not in the mood at all, i'll read a couple short stories, 10-20 paged

I dont know why, but I really like the Japanese Aesthetic in writing. It feels stripped back to the minimum. Ive not read any of his later stuff, nothing after wind up bird, and theres a few holes in the earlier stuff. But Wild sheep chase and wind up both feel close to perfect to me. Minimalist but rich. Weird but graspable. Surreal but makes sense. I dont know. I dont do Literature so I dont know how to analyse it. Something I should work on.

I read when i have time, until i dont have time anymore.

I would read your books if you wrote them.

Congrats, you're the next Marcel Proust

you're attempting to elaborate on some theme but you have no idea what that theme might be

Are you ESL? If so, I have no advice, just keep working towards competency in the language. If you're a native speaker of English, and of age (i.e., above 15 or so), then the issue probably lies with what you do when you aren't reading. Maybe you have some kind of neurological problem. Fill us in, user

Please continue

I'm a native speaker and am not disabled. idk what the problem is desu, I just tend to look up definitions quite a bit, sometimes even if I have an idea of what the word means I'll look up the definition any way to get get a more accurate image in my mind. Also I reread every paragraph multiple times, or sometimes I reread a line a couple times before continuing on to the rest of the paragraph and then reread the paragraph as well. I can't get myself to just read straight through a book without rereading or constantly pausing to dwell on stuff.

this isn't necessarily a problem. I would say don't look up every word as you're reading, at least not the ones you get the sense of. mark them and look them up later, by all means. and maybe read something you can just breeze through to warm up. it doesn't have to be below your level-- it could be houllebecq in translation or hemingway or something.

I agree, and even stylewise it's pretty poor, user.

The people I talk to, the people still trying to get in touch with me, I cannot imagine what they are like. They are totally insubstantial, like ghosts to me. When I am still getting drunk and can still bear to drum up some white lie as to "how I'm doing"--looking for work, taking it easy, reading this or that, whatever I say--I understand all the while that these people have vanished. That I will never see these people again, and that I have fooled them, because if they knew who they were talking to they would stop wasting their time. Because I myself am no more substantial than a ghost. I know I won't change until I am forced to. Rarely I dream, and those dreams are always visions of calamity. Personal calamity, yes, but also at times ecological and total. I know these dreams don't mean anything, really, but they are the only way, other than the seasons, that I can register change. My life may sound peaceful or contemplative, but it isn't, it's a walled garden the only egress of which is disaster or suicide. Maybe I am exaggerating, but nonetheless in this moment this is the way my "situation" seems to me.

i read until i feel like doing not-reading

What do you do?

10 pages a day of infinite jest, now on p.198(18%)

That's odd you couldn't get into book juggling, it seems right up anyone's ally that woud read until they got disinterested like you say. I'm essentially the same in that regard, I read a certain book until I no longer find that it stirs any sort of interestor excitement, then I pick up another as long as I have time left to do so. Sometimes this means I blast through 10 chapters of the same book, other times it causes me to have as many as 5 or 6 books going at the same time.

I don't know about that guy, but I try to read to 3-4 hours a day, and depending on the book I'll average between 60-100 pages an hour. This is really only for light reading though, where you can read at faster speeds and still retain all the information and digest its themes. This category is usually most modern literature, scifi, fantasy, etc. More difficult works of course demand more careful reading though, with slower paces in order to better understand more complicated themes and arguments. This would be books on mathematics, verbose treatises, some philosophy books, etc.

It woud be ridiculous to say you should read a book a day, but some books you most certainly should.They deserve little more than 3-4 hours of time at best. Other books should take you weeks to read though. And even fewer deserve that time.

>he doesn't use his well-read mind to outwit modern society and establish multiple sources of passive income, be they legitimate or otherwise

Attached: 1533562158791.jpg (250x250, 16K)

Go on

I usually go for ~50 pages a day. I wish I could read more, but I am busy with my studies and also other interests (movies, video games, anime etc).

are...are you me?

I graduated 2 years ago from great college, and could be making 60k/year but refuse to get a job as it would only be a distraction from reading and understanding new things. I got lucky and helped a guy out with a hedge fund startup and now make around 20k/year passive. Not a lot, but enough to support my lifestyle. I live in an ideal midwest community that anyone would be beyond happy to start a family in, but it means nothing to me other than the top class library I get a lot of my books from, and the grocery store. Even these two are little more to me than conveniences. Every day I wake up, put in a lip, walk to the library, return a couple books, take a couple out, then walk back home. I boil half a cup of water, pour it into a mug, mix in some instant coffee and milk, and about 3 tablespoons of sugar. When I rarely eat, its usually either a bowl of cereal, or two fried eggs with a cut of chuck steak.

There is a tiny park next to my place that no one knows about because its surrounded by tall hedges, and when you sit in the lone bench you're nearly invisible to all passing cars and pedestrians. I sit their with a couple of books and a pack of dip. Its one of the most blissful things I've found in life. This year a couple of cardinals have nested in the tree beside the bench. The male is quite lovely. I sit and read until it gets dark out, or 9 o'clock, whichever comes first, and go back inside.

I feel no connection to past friends or family at all whatsoever. The last person I talked to was my dad on christmas, he just wanted to know I was alive. No one has any idea where I live, and I plan to keep it that way. Not because I hate them or anything, but its a sort of self-exile, for reasons I'm not willing to say. I know one day my evils will be uncovered, I don't want anyone close to me when it does.

why waste your life on vidya and anime?

>When I rarely eat, its usually either a bowl of cereal, or two fried eggs with a cut of chuck steak.
That doesn't sound good at all. You don't have to eat expensive food every day, but you should have at least three meals daily. Do you rarely eat because you wouldn't make it with 20k a year?

>The last person I talked to was my dad on christmas, he just wanted to know I was alive

Attached: 1531028283179.png (830x1094, 104K)

They aren't a waste, each medium has its ups and downs. Literature is my favorite medium, but I don't want only that in my life.
You should try being less biased.

I hope you at least take a multivitamin. No, dip is not a vitamin.

No, I am a small man, and have had this diet for 18 months now with no side effects. Maybe its the lack of physical activity, but I only eat when I am hungry and that's maybe once every two days or so. Sometimes more. I only spend about 10k a year.

yeah I take a range of multivitamins among other pills, should've mentioned that

Even if you're not personally feeling the effects of that diet, it's definitely not healthy to eat once every two days. Your body needs nutrients. Even though there's a lack of physical activity, your organism is still functioning every day, plus your brain is pretty active because of all that reading.

>This year a couple of cardinals have nested in the tree beside the bench. The male is quite lovely
lol fag

I've maintained the same body weight for about a year now, I just don't think I need anymore than that. I think I get most of what I need from vitamins and the rest is for fiber, but who knows

Eh I knew this kid in college that would literally just eat rice and ramen and wouldn't take vitamins or anything. Some people just don't need that much

I feel envious of this existence, even though I know I shouldn't.

they are fun
try reading some books on how to be less of a complete fucking faggot

anyone have that chart of great writers that read shonen jump and played nintendo all day?

Don't feel disheartened, user. You're on the right course. You'll get more out of any one book than any of these speed-reading faggots will out of 20.

"man user-san,, that really hurts"
*picks up another international literary prize*

what is mature age? Im 21 now and switching from compsci to philosophy (and mathematics), how did you find it going into a degree with people younger than you?

I usually have a main book. I read a chapter or 2 a day, then read as much as I want from any secondary book.

Those two will no doubt go on to become great writers, but at what cost, user?

it’s far better to time your reading than to count pages

>tfw neet, want to get a job to read Marx when I come back from it and complain to my wall how I got ripped off today

>but at what cost, user?
Becoming a colossal whiny faggot

My favorite moment is having to put the book away because I stumbled upon something I can't ignore.

For example:

>In the front bedroom by the stairs Pa is dying, is in his death bed and practically dead already, it's in spite of that that Ma wants a good steak, wants to plank her last human hope on Deni, on some kind of decisive solidarity,

I had to put down the book and go for a walk. I'm still not past that part. It hits some notes in me. I still can't explain exactly what.