Reoccuring characters and stories

Looking for characters and stories that are retold and reinterpreted many times throughout history. Not talking about reproductions (like a new production of a Shakespeare play) but actual retellings. Is there a name of something like this?
Examples I can think of
>King Arthur
>Faust
>Don Juan

Any more?

Attached: unnamed.jpg (402x512, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarne–Thompson_classification_systems
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dunno

a bunch of greek myths have been dramatized over and over by different playwrights

Pygmalion is a topos that reoccurs in literature, music, theater and films for centuries. Same with Robinson Crusoe and Robin Hood.

I might add, could be interesting for you to check out the Aarne–Thompson classification.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarne–Thompson_classification_systems

Don't Quixote, sort of. Every era seems to have their own literary take on the delusional picaresque hero.

Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Ironman etc.

king fisher, but is Arthur related

Copyright law unironically ruined storytelling.

Also: Frankenstein, Dracula and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (the first two more than the third). These don't technically fit the bill though because the retellings are often seen as more of adaptions than actual retellings

hm, an easy one would be the wandering jew. roland. hm

The underground man

The original Dosto, Kafka’s story “
The burrow”, Kobo Abe’s The ark sakura, etc.

Pierrot
Charlie Brown
Sherlock Holmes

WHAT IS hm!?

Faust

hm is me hemming and hawing over this question. it is a good one to which i would do the honor of bending my mind to answer thoughtfully.

this, also i would say the superfluous man would be a better name to cast him as. oblomov down to ignatius c reilly

Saramago did that sort of thing with Bible characters and with Ricardo Reis, one of Pessoa's heteronyms.

What about the character who's in way over their heads and doesn't really know what's going on?
>Oedipa Maas
>Rosecrans & Guildenstern
>The Dude from Big Lebowski
I'm trying to think of one from the classical period and the closest I can come up with is maybe Odysseus? This seems to be a much more recent one historically speaking

Don Quioxte

No he did

How the hell did no one mention Campbell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces yet? Read it, it will provide you everything you need. And the name for that kind of study is comparative mythology.

Attached: 91HfiGIzVvL.jpg (1633x2536, 801K)

Not the same thing, sorry

Matter of Greece
Matter of Rome
Matter of France
Matter of Britain

How is that not the same? Recurring characters and stories is precisely what that book and comparative mythology focus on.

Don't take its reputation as a guide for narrative structure seriously — that is a cross-discipline interpretation of the material — the book itself legitimately entirely about what you're asking for in the OP.

Comparative mythology is about the repetition of tropes and thinly sketched narrative structures across culture. This thread is about actual retellings of specific stories and specific characters across time.

Is this really worth reading? I read ~30% of it but put it down because I got bored of it

Yes u stipid

read the Theme of the Traitor and the Hero by Borges. It’s short, and exactly what you’re looking for

Sounds like what you really want is manuscript transmission and oral tradition, then. Most of the material on those subjects are fairly academic, so not particularly easy reading if that's what you're after.

It's not that either, christ, can you read?

The Chinese do this quite a nit with 'Journey to the West'. Dont know anything about it beyond that.

Chicken Run

A Christmas Carol

Robin Hood
Adam and Eve
The Three Musketeers
Literally everyone Shakespeare wrote about
Chris-chan

>Noah and the Arch

Stuff about Troy.
Don Jon
Faust

>Don Jon