Actually pick up infinitejest and finish it

>actually pick up infinitejest and finish it
>read pretty much all of Yea Forums's canon and have been reading tons of philo as a undergrad student
>wow i liked pretty good, dfw sometimes used random abstract words unreasonable which made him seem like a psued to me
>after some research on the ending decided that the book was a solid 7-8/10 for me
>go on Yea Forums after leaving for a few months at the start of the semester where everyone was praising this book
>check warosu and search for "infinite jest"
>"trash" "psued" "hack" "boring" "plagiarist"
>some fag made a "blind pill" chart prob one of the most cringiest things i've seen recently and it seems hes been shilling it around
>no actual constructive critiques like a few months ago when everyone was replying with paragraphs in argument or discussion
>everyone is just typing "retard" or "bluepilled" or replying with some brainlet wojak
What the fuck happened to this board? I see butterfly is in no threads(good).

Also back to the main point. What was your review of infinite jest? Please only good replied not some bait or troll garbage

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.41M)

They are devastated that I'm not the person they thought I was. :3

As a result, the ideologies that cropped up concerning me are all for naught.

They are also a bit distraught perhaps that I'm not trying to fit in with a particular 'culture' despite using the interface. This kind of thinking is particularly entertaining considering the fact that there should never have been a culture designed around 'Anonymous' or non-identifiable posting.

Welcome back fren, to be honest, I miss butters, she’s probably reading something, the cunt reads like 5 books at once

The Zizek Peterson debate caused some spillover from pol

no discernible talent

The ultimate answer to your question of, what the fuck happened? Is simply that no one on this board reads a thing and only parrot particular opinions on books (Moby Dick is ultimately good but muddled with whale anatomy, Blood Meridian is spitting and rape against a desert backdrop, Meursault killed because of the sun, etc...).

Attached: 1511233572258.jpg (1377x1106, 688K)

okay vlad

Moby-Dick is flawless and not one word should be subtracted from it. Cetology is one of the best chapters in the book.

Behave

Attached: D8928198-08AA-43E1-AE71-CA8FFD743E49.jpg (1117x1400, 1.19M)

>what am I in for
My fucking sides

read Kaczynski. let us know what you think.

this

Attached: Anti-Tech Revolution - Red Pill BW web.jpg (4800x7200, 2.42M)

The blindpill is unironically DFW-tier and addresses all of his concerns toward the importance of boredom and resisting the allure of entertainment.

Attached: IMG_5281.jpg (498x498, 21K)

I've always been fearful of downloading it because I don't want to end up on some government list.

There are many better writers with more insightful musings on the impact of modern day technology and its issues.

If you're on Yea Forums regularly you're probably well past that point.

(Technological Slavery is more interesting though, since it's about his theory. Anti-tech Rev is about the practicalities of revolution.)

It is the best book ever written after all.

My perception was that it was always book that divides people in hating or loving it. No book is perfect and will make every reader fall in love with it. You also have to acknowledge that this place can become a circle jerk and thats what people usually seek. To work against that be brave and say your opinion next time you see hate thread on a book you like.

Your level of cowardliness is impressive.

>What the fuck happened to this board?
Serious answer here:
It's because it's Got season and infinity war so Yea Forums is flooded with reditors who pushed out the Yea Forums speuds who came here.

Unironic truth.

However, unlike real litizens, I have read IJ. Here’s my review:

On the whole, I loved it. The characters are interesting, likable, diverse, and relatable. The story is well-constructed. For the most part, DFW’s prose is fun to read. Like what would happen if Pynchon only ever read medical textbooks and the OED.

When it isn’t fun, it’s horrible. The chapters in which he tries to write in a stupid slummy vernacular are undiluted cringe.

But even then, it’s in service to the larger narrative and I’m glad I read it.

I’ve seen a few recent reviewers talking about how it’s lost relevance because some of DFW’s “predictions” didn’t come true (as if that was even the point lmao). Seems like some obvious bull to me, but I am the type of person who frequents Yea Forums, so it’s no surprise the book’s themes relevant to myself.

The reason people shit on IJ is because it's a "babby's first challenge"-type of a book. People who rant about it's greatness aren't well-read, they've either stumbled upon IJ and finished it (against all odds), or have just started their journey to read some actual literature (which IJ barely qualifies as, arguably intentionally). No one has ever unironically praised IJ on here while simultaneously being well-read.

But yeah, it's a good book. It's overshadowed by it's headache-inducing cult-following of pseudo-intellectuals who read a intellectually-stimulating book for the first time ever and act like they've seen the truth during a trip of Ayahuasca. I'm naturally pre-disposed for contrarianism and will often defend/trash IJ against it's praisers/haters depending on the situation. You can say a lot about it, but it's both easy to love and easy to hate.

DFW's prose isn't like Pynchon at all. But I do like it, it's very direct and clean.

oink oink

I like Infinite Jest but find DFW himself a giant fucking faggot of a human being. Anybody who focuses that much on "What it means to be GOOOOOOd ;(" is sure as shit some manipulative moron with skeletons in their closet. Once all the rapist/stalker shit came out about him two or so years ago, I wasn't in the least surprised.

I like IJ, but I hate DFW for the cult of personality he spawned, especailly given how fucking transparent his bullshit was.

Quick question, is there any point in reading a translation of IJ? It has recently been translated into Russian by a group of passionate people, most readers like it (but they're brainlets and pseuds, what else would you expect of Russian internet). Is it a book that would lose a lot from being read in a language that is very different from English? My friend is on the fence about getting it (their first and last difficult book was War and Peace back in school), but they would never be able to read it in English.

Attached: 1558129625654.png (348x348, 332K)

Neck yourselves

Attached: F313FEAA-C127-42C2-8B54-CAF52C4AA058.jpg (500x489, 49K)

I’m sorry, but Wallace’s prose are messy. They aren’t as technical as Pynchon can be and their more informal and conversational, but direct or clean? Nah.

IJ’s worth reading. I’m so tired of no one really talking about texts beyond what they should read on this board. Just do the fucking reading and look into it yourself.

>This kind of thinking is particularly entertaining considering the fact that there should never have been a culture designed around 'Anonymous' or non-identifiable posting.

that's your shitty opinion

>What the fuck happened to this board?
it got better because we stopped wasting brainpower on upper middlebrow novels and started discussing the things that actually matter

>Just do the fucking reading and look into it yourself.
Based, I believe this is how coherent discussions start

You OK there, buddy? Would you rather have me kill a thread for a question about IJ?

Pic related is true but it was clearly made by a leftist who's ignoring the dozens of shitty bait threads about Marxism that are constantly spammed.

Good too see I am not the only one who wasn't impressed by DFW's moralism

This. The left is just as bad as the right. They both spam bait threads. Luckily I can just hide them

>no actual constructive critiques like a few months ago
lmao, lit has been shit for more than a few months, try a few years

what are some good quests to do i old school runescape?

the same faggots who post "lit is shit now" threads post "redpill me on fascism" threads, don't you get tired of trying to convince everyone you're an edgy nonconformist

DFW just talks to much. He's like that friend at the party who thinks he's on to something when he just likes listening to his own voice. I really don't care what insight he has (even if it's Fermat's last theorem). It's his 'holier than thou' attitude that's obnoxious and mediocre and very common among depressed people. Enough.