Book ORG

How do you Anons organize your books? I started with author but moved to Dewey.

Attached: 41Lwv6uYiHL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (320x499, 16K)

I don't organize them in any particular way, but I do tend to keep my more Yea Forums stuff away from more contemporary stuff

what is dewey?

As in the Dewey Decimal System.

Decimal system?

KEK, thought it was an autistic, Dewey from Malcolm in the middle , bassed model.

Leave

Attached: wot.jpg (346x250, 10K)

size

first, by shape. my inconveniently shaped books go on one shelf, then regular sized books, then pocket books
second, by author's last name, A-Z, romanized. if the author has one name (Homer, Marie de France, etc), then I go by that name. anonymous or amorphous authors (Bible, etc) go before everything else
third, by series and date published. if an author has released any series, then I group every book within a series together. stand-alone books go by year, and if there's no particular date (Homer, etc), then by publishing year, and if I only have one edition, by name
fourth, by name or, if within a series, by publishing order

By vague thematic association and author. So all an author's books go together, but not in alphabetical order. For example, I have Clark Ashton Smith and H.P. Lovecraft next to one another.

Why would you need to use the Dewey? Is your collection that large?

the actual Dewey Decimal System isn't far off that mark.

By most recently read. I got tired of always having to shuffle things around on a shelf whenever I wanted to put something new on. Still have to shuffle things when I re-read them but it's a nicer system overall and it has the added benefit of not having to contend with ambiguous cases like many/most other sorting systems.

Dewey is shit for prose and fiction, there's a reason no public library uses it outside of the history aisles.
I read a lot of history so I sort them by period and region, with separate sections for sci-fi and that sort of trash.

>prose

By nationailty. Though I do have “thematical shelves” too, like the one where I only have epics.

Based. Love that show

I have 400+

Poetry by date, fiction by genre (alphabetised), non fiction by subject (also alphabetised), art and photography books have their own shelf, no real organisaton to that.

I usually arrange them by height. There's only a few publishers I buy from, so that's not too big of an issue. But I do have some books from different publishers, but the same author, like a Penguin Inherent Vice, and Harper Collins V. and Lot 49. If that happes, I just stick them together.

Based

What are "inconvenitenly sized books?"

Mostly by genre. Sometimes by culture. I have a Japanese section.

Read "The Library at night". It has a section dealing with how people tried to do this. Weirdest one was the guy who put his books seemingly random into boxes, each box with the image or a roman emperor.

Wherever I have a significant grouping, I sort by Dewey.

Alphabetical by author surname regardless of fiction or non-fiction (if it's a compilation of writings by different authors, than the editor's name can be used, and if there's no real author or main editor, then I go by the title).

Library of Congress >>>> DDC

Don't tease me with a new system!!!

>What are "inconvenitenly sized books?"
Not the same guy, but some books are too large to fit on reasonably sized shelves. I have a printing of the Egyptian Book of the Dead thats nearly 40cm tall, for example.