I read this a few months ago and I loved it. I'm friends with a Mexican guy at work who can speak English well enough...

I read this a few months ago and I loved it. I'm friends with a Mexican guy at work who can speak English well enough, but not read it very well. He expressed an interest in books when he saw me reading at work. It was his birthday recently and I was thinking about getting him a Spanish edition of this book. Do you think he might like it? I don't want to get him something written by a Spaniard if there's a chance he'll be offended by it.

Attached: th251619W4.jpg (474x721, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/books/2015/aug/19/modern-version-of-don-quixote-declared-against-literature
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Most Latinos embrace Don Quixote. It's a well respected novel.

A MEXICAN BEING OFFENDED BY ANYTHING SPANISH IS A THING THAT IS REAL ONLY IN THE MINDS OF «INDIGENISTIC» HISPANOPHOBES, AND IN THE MINDS OF IGNORANT —NONMEXICAN— FOREIGNERS.

that's a thoughtful present op, do it

Thanks, guys. I'm going to get it for him.

I'm told that the original Spanish is a bit tough for modern Spanish speakers to read, sort of like modern Americans reading Shakespeare. If your Mexican friend isn't a big reader, you might want to find a modernized Spanish-language version. I'm told they exist.

Okay, thank you. I'll look for them and keep this thread bookmarked incase anybody has recommendations.

1. THE SPANISH LANGUAGE FROM THE SIXTEENTH THROUGH SEVENTEENTH CENTURIES IS NOT «THE ORIGINAL SPANISH LANGUAGE».

2. «MODERNIZATION» OF OLDER WORKS FOSTERS MEDIOCRITY, IS VIOLATIVE OF THE WORKS’ INTEGRITY, AND IS CONDUCIVE TO FURTHER LINGUISTIC DEGENERATION.

>1. THE SPANISH LANGUAGE FROM THE SIXTEENTH THROUGH SEVENTEENTH CENTURIES IS NOT «THE ORIGINAL SPANISH LANGUAGE».
Okay, sperg, first of all I was talking about the Spanish in the original edition of Don Quixote, the Spanish that is ORIGINAL TO THE BOOK. JFC, you weenies are tiresome.

2. OP said his friend isn't a big reader and had never heard of Don Quixote before. What are the odds he's going to plow through a thousand-page book if the language is slightly archaic? Zero Point Zero Six.

He expressed an *interest* in reading and your gonna throw fucking Don Quixote at him? With the added pressure of it being a gift and him being worried that you'll be offended if he doesn't read it? Good luck user, but heed my words and get him something else. Some airport fiction paperback or something. This kind of overenthusiam will scare people off, I figured girls would've taught you that by now

I figure an abridged, modernized version of DQ with some added sex scenes will keep him reading.

>giving gifts to coworkers
Do you legit have autism?

That's kinda like giving an english-speaking friend interested in reading books The Canterbury Tales. I'd go with something a bit more modern and then work your way up there.
I think a simple yet mature novel in english would probably be good for him to work on his reading skills.

He loves his Mexican friend. Why are you so mean?

Why are you reading books at work? How do you get away with that?

We all exchange gifts at work. Or at least this one girl and I.

shut the fuck up trip
but youre still better than butterfly, at least you have your own opinions

there's already the one were Don Quixote assaults the maid and the story-in-the-story about cucking, does he need more?

Wrong. It has some archaic words and expressions, but it is closer to modern Spanish than sh*kespear's English to modern English.

I don't care. OP had better get a modernized version for his Mexican friend or I will personally kick his ass. Got it?

When HBO made a series out of George R.R. Martin's books, they added lots of hot sex scenes to it. A modernized DQ needs at least one smouldering sex scene every 20 pages.

Degenerates like you belong on a cross.

Attached: lh277u6rmbq21.jpg (597x418, 45K)

Baby steps, motherfucker. Baby step. We get the OP's Mexican friend a 200-paged modernized version of DQ with lots of added sex scenes. This is bait for the hook of great literature. OP's Mexican friend reads the 200-page modernized sexy book and decides to read the original with help from scholarly footnotes and a glossary of archaic Spanish words.

Nice bait, but I'll bite anyway.

His friend is a HISPANIC intellectual, heir of Cortés and Inca Garcilaso, and thus far superior to *ngloid """thinkers""". As such, understanding 17th century Spanish should be no challenge, unlike y*nkoids who require modernised version.

Attached: df5.jpg (600x600, 37K)

Mexicans can barely read as it is, even with 12 years of intensive education. Asking them to read a thousand-page 400-year-old novel will prove too taxing on their limited faculties. How dare you be so cruel as to overburden them with such an onerous and spirit-crushing task. Would you drop a 300-lb barbell on a toddler and tell him to bench press it? Yes, you probably would.

>Yankoid speaking ill of Mexican intellectual abilities

They might be barely able to read, but the transcendental quality of the Spanish language enables them to grasp any intellectual concept instantly once they can read, unlike English which condemns its users to a perpetual kindergarten level

Maybe if OP's friend is a retard. I'm a Mexican from Mexico and reading Don Quijote is not hard. Carlos Fuentes used to read it every year.

Basado

Attached: 1557986854170.png (1000x1000, 265K)

“Why did the RAE embark on it? Because if it doesn’t do something about people not reading Don Quixote, the institution itself will become irrelevant,” he said. “As a result of a number of factors, including school curriculum changes, young people in Spain aren’t reading. The thermometer is Don Quixote and it has been abandoned … My own impression … is that nine out of every 10 people who read Cervantes’s novel today are outside Spain. And a large portion of those readers access it in translation.”

theguardian.com/books/2015/aug/19/modern-version-of-don-quixote-declared-against-literature

Well, then, simply translate all the world most elevated and complex literature and treatises into Spanish, distribute them to campesinos and watch as their poverty-stricken nations are transformed overnight into a combination of Periclean Athens, Renaissance Florence, and 19th Century Germany.

Quixote was originally written in English by a certain anonymous nobleman and then translated into Spanish.

Attached: bacon3danim.gif (236x296, 64K)

wasn't it written by an arab, and translated by Cervantes?

Cide Hamete Benengeli

That's Cervantes' meme narrative yes. He didn't translate it though, he heard it from someone who had read it.

False

Agreed, Cervantes was a BLACK BVLL and would have thus bristled at the idea of being considered an *ngloid or *rab.

Attached: download (1).png (229x220, 6K)

Even more false.

Why? Spaniards are BLACK BVLLS, so Cervantes was one as well. We are not wh*te.

2/10 bait.

Attached: 1555919847109.png (597x418, 132K)

Meh, at least I'm getting better.

Attached: 4ea (1).png (823x586, 35K)