Let's make a new Dark/Disturbing chart, part 3!

Previous threads:
This time we're going to design and make the actual chart!
If you want to recommend/remove a book, that's still possible! Look at the bottom of this post for the current standings of previous books and recommended books.
For rules regarding adding/removing works, check the start of the previous thread.

>ideas for the layout so far:
- Add indicators of rape, drugs, torture, pedophilia, etc. (In the shape of a capital letter next to the books? e.g. R D T P)
- Add dark/disturbing books of the same author that can be read as well, as an extra recommendation. (In brackets underneath the name of the author.)
- Add one link that goes to a page containing all the links of pdf's of hard to find books we can collect. (We can show which books in the chart we have links for by adding an * after the title of the book.)
- Dark layout? Matches the mood of the chart, but I also want to stand out to the previous chart.

I have tried to implement some in the draft chart (pic related), what do you think of it?
Any other ideas? Do you think the above features should be in the chart? What about the background/font colour? (I think the font should be brighter, to make it easier to read.)

We currently have links to:
Peter Sotos - Proxy
Pierre Guyotat - Eden Eden Eden
Michael Gira - The Consumer
Jesús Ignacio Aldapuerta - The Eyes

Peter Sotos - Pure (not on the list)
Pierre Guyotat - Tomb for 500.000 Soldiers (not on the list)

-

Current standings:
>Books on the previous list no one has talked about (in depth): should they stay or do they have to go, and why?
Louis Aragon - Irene's Cunt
Slavenka Draculic - The Taste of a Man
J T LeRoy - The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things
Natsuo Kirino - Grotesque

>Books that are recommended to be added to the list, but only by one person: should they be added, or not, and why?
Kathy Acker - Blood and Guts in High School
John Hawkes - Second Skin / The Lime Twig
Sorokin - The Day of Oprichnik
Jachym Topol - The Devil's Workshop
Kenzaburo Oe - Teach Us to Outgrow Our Madness
Charles Maclean - The Watcher
Steven Barber - Caligula: Divine Carnage
Frederick Exley - A Fan's Notes
Andrea Dworkin - Mercy
Kate Millet - The Basement
Unica Zürn - Dark Spring
Patrick Süskind - Perfume
Blake Butler - 300,000,000

Attached: Dark Chart 2.0 jpeg.jpg (2108x2560, 1.24M)

Other urls found in this thread:

fr.scribd.com/document/224842478/Le-Con-d-Irene-Aragon
psv4.userapi.com/c812329/u397397654/docs/8c25aa2bb4ff/Irene_39_s_Cunt.pdf
psv4.userapi.com/c812329/u397397654/docs/8c25aa2bb4ff/Irene_39_s_Cunt.pdf?extra=U83QmTtmgHRKYpJ1hxj6JxDeWi8Rq-8U2IKcAAQ2SrpEZnFWPUUzmX1kbw4sac3XEloXEr3v2TxaxjjCLv2xfZ_TNAbECzlmryoxiuH910Bndu07V1mD49ffSpG1WwG1bV4szC_F
docdroid.net/cDxVCiW/peter-sotos-tick.pdf
docdroid.net/yuHWWFA/peter-sotos-lazy.pdf
docdroid.net/cpggjJh/peter-sotos-index.pdf
docdroid.net/5Xk013O/peter-sotos-tool.pdf
docdroid.net/oaFU7nw/peter-sotos-special.pdf
docdroid.net/DHGGIYF/pure-1.pdf
docdroid.net/bA1H5Qx/pure-2.pdf
docdroid.net/xGCF3ZB/pure-3-vol1.pdf
docdroid.net/ksgyAmm/pure-3-vol2.pdf
dokumen.tips/documents/pierre-guyotat-eden-eden-eden.html
mega.nz/#!64xW1ZZC!c7nA-iY-R7-5VM6zhrwI4Z99DN0nOE3Qy99Fpw-zMgM
mega.nz/#!CdAghAJC!lluxTktukp8qT8N5dHdi9UdX69I3D0SZt1iGs6TG_Nc
docdroid.net/dyliYr6/tomb-for-500000-soldiers.pdf
mediafire.com/file/eut5g1494fckp6z/__The_Consumer.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sup dude, I really appreciate what you did there, you did a splendid job, but I have to tell you that the design of the layout is up to you,
first: what program are you using to make it? If you're using Photoshop or clip studio you'll find a lot of fonts appropriate for the chart mood
Second: make the design so it can be read comfortable in a normal screen (a rectangle would be fine) and don't jam all the books so close to each other.
Also I think that you should make the chart with the current titles you have, you can't just keep making new charts whenever someone come up with a new book.

I'll look forward for your finished work!

By the way I'm making a chart about Little girls in this board if you want to contribute I'll really apreciate it

Attached: 1550619661428.jpg (1000x1000, 326K)

bump

fr.scribd.com/document/224842478/Le-Con-d-Irene-Aragon
here's Le con d'Irène by Aragon
I really don't feel like reading it though... and for some reason I'm pretty sure I wouldn't find it disturbing at all...

Hey, I saw your thread yesterday! I can contribute a little bit if/when you make a new thread (I see your old one has been archived).
What drove you want to make that chart, by the way? Just curious.
Either way:
I understand that the design is up to me, but if things look really off/could be improved I'd like to hear suggestions.
I also made this in Word, since I have 0 experience with anything other than Paint. Not jamming books close is really difficult since the Word page-size has a limit, and if I go over that I have to manually fit rows/columns together by using Paint (which I already need to do since this chart is pretty big so I screenshot 6 times and puzzle them into one big image in Paint lmao). I also don't want the image to get much bigger, since it already is pretty big (or is that just me?)
I will probably make the chart with the current books, since the amount of recommendations I am getting are less and less, and I doubt that more than 1 book will get through the 'one person' list.

Thanks for finding a copy of Irene's Cunt! It is in French though, so only a few people here will be able to read this. Either way, great job finding a copy.

Here's the English translation: psv4.userapi.com/c812329/u397397654/docs/8c25aa2bb4ff/Irene_39_s_Cunt.pdf

It 404's when I try to open the English link.

Shit, does this work?
psv4.userapi.com/c812329/u397397654/docs/8c25aa2bb4ff/Irene_39_s_Cunt.pdf?extra=U83QmTtmgHRKYpJ1hxj6JxDeWi8Rq-8U2IKcAAQ2SrpEZnFWPUUzmX1kbw4sac3XEloXEr3v2TxaxjjCLv2xfZ_TNAbECzlmryoxiuH910Bndu07V1mD49ffSpG1WwG1bV4szC_F

This is nice but I feel like the Banks and Oates covers are a bit lame. How about this one?

Attached: wasp.jpg (697x1024, 117K)

got it off a vk club page (club150371827) fwiw

It still gives me a 404, sorry man.

I have chosen the most recent/popular cover, so that if someone were to buy one of the books, this would be the cover they'll most likely find in the store.

What would be the best way to add links to the chart?
I was thinking uploading a .txt with all the links, but what would be the best place to upload them? Also note that the resulting link (which I will put in the chart) will have to be typed manually, so it should be as short as possible.

Is pic related disturbing enough to be added to the list?

Attached: triflers.jpg (212x320, 61K)

Can you tell a bit more about it?

how is Hunger not here?Book is horrifying once it settles in

Hunger has been discussed in the previous thread, and people said that it doesn't really fit on this chart:

"Hunger does not belong on the chart. It is not dark or disturbing in the way that the others are.The novel is primarily about the lengths to which a young writer will go in order to continue pursuing their craft. Much of it focuses on the protagonist's descent into delirium and odd behaviour as a result of starvation. There is no serious violence or transgression in this book. The descriptions of the protagonist's emaciation are tame in comparison to the works listed; the 'odd behaviour' is often just his violation of social etiquette through begging and desperation; and it pales in overall bleakness compared to works like Celine. None of it compares to what could be found on most works in the chart. "

Another thing is that Hunger is already featured in other charts, including the 'Despressing Literature' chart. In general, I want to have as little overlap with that chart, and strive to feature works not on any other chart (with a few exceptions of course). The closest two chart types to this one is the depressing literature and the number of horror charts that exist. That's also why I try not to include straight horror.

It's a novel about a school shooting told from three points of view: Mario, a self-loathing hispanic kid who ends up shooting up the school; Dawn, a sadistic sociopath who idolizes Joseph Mengele; and Mason, a seemingly normal jock who has an extremely abusive father. They're all members of what they call an "after school club" where they go over to their asian friend's house and watch gory videos. As the story goes on, Dawn starts manipulating Mario and Mason into doing lots of depraved shit, including torturing and killing random people in order to satisfy her sadistic tendencies. The book ends with Mason shooting up the school and then killing himself while Dawn flees the country via train, and Mason vowing to find and kill her as revenge for the suffering she's caused.

Links could become quickly outdated and, as far as i'm concerned, I wouldn't bother checking out anything else than what fits on a single image file.
Keep up the good work btw

>Bernanos in among all that edgy shit

for shame

That sounds like it could be on the list, I will add it to the 'one person' list!

I don't know if this is what you mean, but the links are for the hard-to-obtain books.
If you're talking about the (Also: other book) part that I added, that's good to know. And thanks for the support!

That book is made by youtuber.

I've looked into it, and you're right. It will most likely not be up to par with the other books on the chart, and I will remove it from the 'one person' list. Thank you for letting me know!

>I'm currently working on the chart, and I was wondering if this explanation text that I want to add seems alright:

This chart is made in April 2019 to improve on the first Dark/Disturbing chart. These works are unsettling and unnerving, and even though what is disturbing differs per person, these are generally agreed upon to have a disturbing impact on the reader. Not inlcuded in this chart are ‘dark and depressing’ books and ‘horror’ books, since both those themes already have their own charts.
Works with an * are hard to obtain works that are available to download/read in the following link: [can't post link here, 4channel thinks it's spam]
This link goes to tinyupload where you can download a small .txt file with every currently available link.

Does that seem okay?
I've also corrected some errors in certain works and names, changed the font colour, etc. I will upload that version later today.

Hello friends, I am illiterate. Can someone make a chart of dark and disturbing cinema? I'd ask on Yea Forums but they won't stop talking about reality shows, Game of Thrones, and John Carpenter.

No.

Hey there! I am not going to make another chart lol, since that takes a large amount of time and energy, but this is the best chart that I have in my possession that you'll probably like.

Attached: 1366691157747.jpg (1138x1465, 679K)

Thanks!

This is the layout of the chart so far. What do you guys think?

Attached: Dark Chart 2.1 jpeg.jpg (2108x2649, 1.36M)

looks good to me, wd
btw, I just realized I was unable to open the old german literature chart with paint (it says the file's too big). Your file is bigger but it still works for some reason.

Maybe it was a .png? I had to save this chart as a .jpeg to be able to upload it here. Either way, thanks! I worked pretty hard on this chart for more than 2 weeks to get here. Feels good to (almost?) be done and have this nice result!

I second Kathy Acker; it's an engaging work and gets into the Burroughs style

thanks for the recommendation, I'll add it to the chart!

Bump, I'd like to hear more opinions on the chart!

im honestly quite inexperienced with the genre, so i would very much appreciate it if you would recommend me one from the chart. im already pretty sick in the game so you dont have to hold yourself back in that regard.

tf am i writing i meant sick in the brain

Anyone of these books related to AI? I'm looking for disturbing AI stuff like I Have No Mouth But I Need To Scream

I myself haven't read many books of the chart, but I've heard a lot of opinions of all of them by now. I have read Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory, which is a really good book to start with, I'd say. If you want to go full extreme you can go for Samuel Delany - Hogg, or Peter Sotos - Proxy.

There is, as far as I know, no real sci-fi (or genre fiction in general) in this chart.

This chart has colours to indicate which books are a good start and which are difficult, might that be a good addition to the new chart?
I think that the 'rape, torture, pedophilia' markers might be a bit much for this chart, especially since we need to know the details of every book to add these.
Adding 'good starting point' and 'extreme' (these two are the ones I'think might be the best to add) is a lot easier and might help people who are new to this.

Attached: Pomo.png (1100x1800, 1.9M)

Gud job OP, it actually looks better than the last chart. Hopefully we can add more deserving classics in the future.

Attached: images.jpg (240x210, 15K)

Thank you!
Do you have any recommendations when it comes to the layout? (I haven't gotten much feedback on it)

Fuck you, this is a bad chart and you are a bad person for posting this. This has nothing whatsoever to do with postmodernism, we get it, you put effort into something and don't want to see it crumble, but it is shitty and it stays shitty.

I just posted this to show the colours they used to indicate certain characteristics of specific books, I didn't say anything about the quality of the chart.
I'm just asking is if the use of colours like this might be a good idea for the new Dark/Disturbing chart which I'm working on.

Sorry, I got nothing. Just be sure to add links to PDFs, some of the books are insanely overpriced to buy.

bad post, bad user.
actually most of the existing charts are terrible.

op, I guess the layout is fine but some other user said a rectangle would have been better than a square. Not sure it makes a difference though.

That's okay! I added the pdf's of about 5 books now, if people have more then I'm more than happy to add them.

That's both nicer to read and easier to make. I'll try to reduce the row to 7 books instead of 9.

The rectangle design is due the form of the typical monitor (a rentangle) as well as tablets and a phone holding horizontally, it's only natural to make charts that way to fit the screen shape

Im one of the anons who originally suggested labelling the content, and I think this colour coding system would be just as good
basically just something to give you a starting point if you don't know any of the books

I just made this, has this improved enough, or do you think it should be slimmer (for phone users)?

And now I'll have to ask everyone:
Which books on the chart are good starting points?
And what are we looking for in a 'starting point book'?

Attached: Dark Chart 2.2 jpeg.jpg (1724x3412, 1.4M)

>good starting points?
And what are we looking for in a 'starting point book'?

Since the chart is about so many topics and by so many autors I don't believe there could be a start point, a start point apply to a chart about an autor or a well defined topic (Plato, economics, etc)

I think a "start point" doesn't apply to this kind of chart, you said before that maybe they should be put by how disturbing they are but that depends in the sensibility about the topic to the reader, for example the books about kids in the chart (Bastard out of carolina and Mouchette) really hit me harder than others.

That's a good point. Maybe it's just best to leave it like this and say it's the finished chart for now.
Either way, I've slightly edited the previous edition of the new chart, so if no one adds any books, I would say that this is the 'final' chart!
Follow up question: does anyone know how to add a chart to the primer/recommended reading site?

Attached: Dark Chart 2.3 jpeg.jpg (1724x3246, 1.39M)

>does anyone know how to add a chart to the primer/recommended reading site?

I've wondering that too, I think there's an user who do that as well as the one who makes the Mega carpet with the archive of other charts, Maybe it's just matter of time

Well it seems that your chart come out really good (despite being made In paint)

Yeah, I'll make another thread with the last version of my chart later, I expect to see you there

>What drove you want to make that chart, by the way?

I'm just a fan o little girls :)

Attached: images (19).jpg (440x696, 25K)

Wow, now this is what I call a damn well disturbing chart. A lot of the books on here I can't read simply because they're too disturbing, or simply a gauntlet of debasement which is not only revolting, but provides no redeeming qualities, and is nothing but shock value, like 120 Days of Sodom and Hogg. And some of them are just unpleasant to read because they're so disturbing, like The Consumer.

The books on there which were not so offensive to my mental faculties, that I could read, were Lautreamont, In the Miso Soup, The Wasp Factory and Story of the Eye. Fantastic books, not really disturbing as much as they beautifully macabre. I plan on reading Blood Meridian, Eden Eden Eden, and Heliogabalus as well.

Thanks, I appreciate hearing that!
I am off to bed soon though, it's getting late here.
And I sincerely hope it's not a sexual thing for you.

Thanks! I hope these are all quality disturbing books, and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying them! Which one did you like the most? And good luck with reading the others!
I'm currently reading Maldoror, what did you think of that? His prose can be very confusing at times, making sentences that long and complex. It's done really well though, I just have to take it slow when reading it.

Does anyone else know how to get the new chart on the recommended reading site?

while not as completely brutal as a lot of others, autumn of the patriarch could absolutely fit on this list

Bump

I guess it will be done quickly enough. Some user will do it when you casually post the chart in related threads. It can be good to wait in case the need for a change or slight improvement appears

Can you tell more about it?

For the people who missed it: the new chart is complete! Books can still be added or removed if people want to, as long as enough people agree.
Here's the list of books not (yet?) added:

>Books on the previous list no one has talked about (in depth): should they stay or do they have to go, and why?

>Books that are recommended to be added to the list, but only by one person: should they be added, or not, and why?
Andrea Dworkin - Mercy
Unica Zürn - Dark Spring
Patrick Süskind - Perfume

I'd say that my favorites would be Lautreamont, The Wasp Factory, and Story of the Eye. All of these books hold a special place to me. 120 Days and Hogg are just disgusting. The Consumer is "good writing" in the sense that it's extremely physical, which is what you would expect from Michael Gira, but it's also at times too nightmarish for me.

That is cool to hear! I'll keep that in mind when reading another book on this list. I might check out Story of the Eye, the opinions on that were pretty divided.

Bumping to show people the finished chart!

There are only a couple parts that are disturbing, the rest is a poetic mix of surreal garble and debauchery

Its definitely worth reading though

Would you say it should be on the chart? Reading your explanation of it doesn't really convince me, although it also sounds a bit like Maldoror.

Perfume is an iconic dark novel and I don't remember seeing it in the other charts.

That's good to hear, I'll add it to the chart!

come on man please just add 2 more books
it always annoys me when charts arent laid out in complete rectangles, it looks like you just couldnt be bothered to think of 2 more books

but that could just be my ocd talking

On one hand I would really like that too, on the other hand, I really dislike adding the last book JUST because there is one more spot open. And I'm adding Perfume right now, so that's already one more book!

What's the story on this and other stuff published by Amphetamine Sulphate? I semi-regularly see it brought up in disturbing book discussions but haven't had a chance to check it out / can't tell if it's just a flash in the pan among "transgressive" types

Attached: 517TbvWilgL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (311x499, 42K)

Would it be better to replace Heliogabalus with the Selected Works of Artaud (which contains an excerpt of Heliogabalus)? His letters on his mental state are extremely disturbing and his later works like To be Done with the Judgment of God could equally well be on the list.

I've looked it up, and I'm a bit wary with this work. It is very unknown, and therefore difficult to find a good verdict on whether this work should be added or not.

I think changing it to Selected Works of Artaud is going to be confusing for people who don't know which works it entails. I can, however, add an extra book underneath Heliogabalus as an additional recommendation (like I have done with other works, as you can see in the chart).
Would you think that would add something to the chart? If so, which work would you say would you recommend, other than Heliogabalus? Also note that I would like to keep this chart fiction-centered, with rare exceptions (this in regards to his letters).
Either way, thanks for the input!

in that case, The Umbilicus of Limbo might be the best as an additional recommendation. It's a short collection that combines plays, poems, and fictional letters describing his mental collapses. To Have Done with the Judgment of God is a good bet as well if you want to stick to strictly fictional works.

ALSO, is there any reason Kafka and Beckett have been left out? It seems like a pretty glaring absence unless it's intentional. For Kafka, In the Penal Colony is the obvious choice, and for Beckett I'd say Trilogy.

and Flannery O'Connor is pretty much a must-have. Collected Stories or either of her novels are a shoe-in for this list.

Sigh. Eden over Tomb for Guyotat? Nah.

Why would you remove it because it is a book made by a YouTuber? Not the other guy, but it is actually a good book. Can always drop a pdf if you want.

I have checked both, and it is really hard to find The Umbilicus of Limbo at all; the only one I could find was included in a collected writings of Artaud. To Have Done isn't a book but a radio play, which I sadly have to disqualify for this list.
Is Umbilicus available as an individual book? I would like other anons who use this chart to be able to find it.
Kafka and Beckett have not been recommended by anyone yet (except for myself, who talked about Kafka briefly), and I think another reason they are not on this chart is because they are both featured in multiple other charts, and are fairly well known in general. If Kafka's Trial wasn't so popular and featured in every other chart, I would probably include it.

O'Connor has not been named by anyone yet, I will add The Collected Stories to the 'one person' list (unless you prefer one of the other novels)!

Tomb is also featured as an additional recommendation, since I didn't want to remove either of them.

The problem with very unknown/small books like that is that it's really difficult to verify the quality of the novel. I also want to prevent people promoting their own book, which could be the case with books like that.

I just added Patrick Süskind - Perfume, so this is the current chart!

I am also going to say that I will stop at 49 books (7 rows, 7 columns), which means that I will not add anymore books after 1 more addition, and say that that will be the finalised chart (unless a great number of people want a specific work to be removed, which I doubt will happen).

And an update on the list:

Andrea Dworkin - Mercy
Unica Zürn - Dark Spring
Flannery O'Connor - The Complete Stories (or another work?)

Attached: Dark Chart 2.4 jpeg.jpg (1724x3246, 1.46M)

ah... user... we don’t deserve this level of effort
thanks

Thanks a lot for the kind words, user! I really appreciate it, these compliments make me feel like it's worth doing all this.

late reply, but it's a garcia marquez novel about the death of a dictator, and it kind of just catalogs his life in a really gruesome, poetic style. lots of violence, rape, pedophilia, incestuous overtones. I think it's such an excellent read that the shocking nature of it doesnt take precedence when discussing it, but in that way i think it's perfect for this list :)

Your reasoning makes sense RE artaud. the simplest thing thing to have as an additional recommendation is the selected works, unless it's partly nonfictional nature disqualifies it. if it makes any difference, artaud didn't consider the distinction between fiction and non- to be of much importance; e.g. his letters included in collections were often fictional and his real letters contained things that never happened. does a hallucination count as fiction?

for O'Connor, the Collected Stories should definitely be the primary recommendation. If you want to include a secondary one, Wise Blood is better but The Violent Bear it Away is more disturbing, so it's up to you which one better fits the chart.

Can I get some other anons to vouch for our waifu Flannery?

>Add indicators of rape, drugs, torture, pedophilia, etc. (In the shape of a capital letter next to the books? e.g. R D T P)
bump

can this be added

Also, should we draw up a list (just for ourselves in editing this list) of disturbing works that are mentioned frequently enough here that they won't be included on the list.

Here's a starter:
works by Kafka
works by Beckett
is Krasznahorkai too common? Satantango and Melancholy of Resistance are disturbing masterpieces
faulkner?
lolita?

if we are going to avoid works too commonly mentioned, I would remove naked lunch, merican psycho, the tunnel, and blood meridian (or swap it with child of god, which is more purposely disturbing). these are in several other charts.

HOWEVER, i don't think it's necessary to avoid "common" books since anons might see them mentioned all the time but only get interested in them once they see them on this chart.

thanks for your work, user. the chart is awesome so far and I think you're doing a great job incorporating our feedback. I love this style of literature and am happy to get several new recommendations from your theads

if Kafka and Beckett get added to list, he would have to re-add the less hardcore stuff he removed. What people find disturbing varies greatly from person to person's sensibility of the subject matter.

That sounds more than fine! I'll put Gabriel García Márquez - The Autumn of the Patriarch to the 'one person' list!

I've looked around, and Selected Writings is specific enough to refer to the same book very often, so it won't confuse people who want to read it. I'll add it as an extra!

I think I'm not going to add this. It'll take me at least an extra 5 days to get the information on all the books from Anons who have read it, and it's also going to make the chart more cluttered than it needs to be.

Lolita is indeed a candidate, it's very popular and I even wanted to add it to this list, only to be told from a lot of people that it's not nearly as dark/disturbing as other works with the same themes.
Sadly, I can't add much to this list, since I haven't read many books myself. I would say A Clockwork Orange might be a contender, along with Saramago's Blindness (that book was intense at parts).
I don't want to completely purge the chart from popular books, especially books that everyone would say fits this chart (e.g. American Psycho).
And no problem! I want to make a chart everyone interested can enjoy, and to make it as well as I am capable of making. I'm also enjoying everyone's reactions/opinions on a lot of these books, and have already heard some anons try out specific books to then come back and report on it to say whether it should be on the list or not.

I am not going to add Kafka or Beckett; as much as I love Kafka's work, he is so incredibly popular (and famous for his namesake Kafkaesque style) that it would not add as much to this chart as other, lesser known works. I am also not planning on completely redesigning this chart, seeing as everything is going very well and I'm almost finished.

Thank you all for your comments, recommendations and support!

Really enjoying the girl next door. Unlike American psycho it threads the needle between sexy and fucked up, instead of just fucked up. Anyone know which other books on the list have atmospheric realism rape?

Does anyone know any books that are surreal and psychedelic along with being dark/disturbing? I kind of want to read something resembling a nightmare or disturbing drug trip. Would appreciate any recs.

As far as I've heard about the books on the list Maldoror can be very surreal, but I think Naked Lunch is more psychedelic and might be the book you're looking for. Let me know if I'm wrong or if there are more books to recommend!

Hey everyone, I'm off to bed.
I don't know how many people will talk in this thread for the upcoming 8 hours, but please keep it from deleting. In one day, maybe two, the chart will be finished, so look forward to that!

Even if you don't have any new books to recommend, I would still love to hear which ones on the chart you have read, and what you thought of it!

bump

Attached: Dark Chart 2.5 jpeg.jpg (1724x3246, 1.61M)

Sotos:
docdroid.net/cDxVCiW/peter-sotos-tick.pdf
docdroid.net/yuHWWFA/peter-sotos-lazy.pdf
docdroid.net/cpggjJh/peter-sotos-index.pdf
docdroid.net/5Xk013O/peter-sotos-tool.pdf
docdroid.net/oaFU7nw/peter-sotos-special.pdf
docdroid.net/DHGGIYF/pure-1.pdf
docdroid.net/bA1H5Qx/pure-2.pdf
docdroid.net/xGCF3ZB/pure-3-vol1.pdf
docdroid.net/ksgyAmm/pure-3-vol2.pdf

Eden Eden Eden:
dokumen.tips/documents/pierre-guyotat-eden-eden-eden.html

Tomb for 500.000:
mega.nz/#!64xW1ZZC!c7nA-iY-R7-5VM6zhrwI4Z99DN0nOE3Qy99Fpw-zMgM

The Eyes:
mega.nz/#!CdAghAJC!lluxTktukp8qT8N5dHdi9UdX69I3D0SZt1iGs6TG_Nc

Cut that out man.

I have 2 more links:

Tomb for 500.000:
docdroid.net/dyliYr6/tomb-for-500000-soldiers.pdf
(someone said this is better quality than the other one)

The Consumer:
mediafire.com/file/eut5g1494fckp6z/__The_Consumer.pdf

Thanks for bumping the thread!

Here's the most recent version, now with Selected Writings as an extra under Artaud!

I am also going to say that I will stop at 49 books (7 rows, 7 columns), which means that I will not add anymore books after 1 more addition, and say that that will be the finalised chart (unless a great number of people want a specific work to be removed, which I doubt will happen).

Which books have you read? What did you think of them?

Andrea Dworkin - Mercy
Unica Zürn - Dark Spring
Flannery O'Connor - The Complete Stories
Gabriel García Márquez - The Autumn of the Patriarch

Attached: Dark Chart 2.5 jpeg.jpg (1724x3246, 1.46M)

Bump!

The Painted Bird - Jerzy Kosiński
Blindness - Jose Saramago
Teatro Grottesco - Thomas Ligotti
Carrion Comfort - Dan Simmons
We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver

He said no to adding horror literature.

My bad - so remove Simmons and Ligotti if you feel dogmatically that Ligotti is horror.

Can you tell more about the books, why do you think they should be on the list? And as for Kosinski, would you say that The Painted Bird is a better choice than Steps (which is on the chart right now)? And if so, why?
I'm also very curious how you see Ligotti as non-horror. The general consensus is that he is a horror writer, and his stories are horror stories, that's not just me.

- I haven't read steps so I can't say. Painted Bird describes the horrors of WWII from the relatively chaste, detached eyes of a little boy. I don't particularly like this novel, I don't particularly respect Konsinski who's been accused of plagiarism and seems like an all around charlatan and asshole.

-Ligotti is weird. Sure, he's a horror writer, but most short horror stories have punchlines or twists. His stories are more about the creeping atmospheric weirdness that is more deeply unsettling. If horror is being stricken from this list due to lack of intellectual/emotional import, than I don't think ligotti should be excluded. If horror is being stricken from this list because of semi-arbitrary genre-prejudice, then feel free to cut him loose.

Can you tell more about the other two novels you suggested?
Also, I really enjoy Ligotti and think he's a great writer. However, horror charts already exist and his work is already featured on those ones. (That also means that adding Teatro Grottesco to this chart will not add much.) Other people have agreed that Ligotti feels like the odd one out in the previous dark/disturbing chart, and should be removed. This is not a call I made by myself, but I understand that you want to include him. This is purely on the horror aspect, not on the quality of his work. If I allow horror work to be on this chart, then half the novels on here will most likely be horror, and those charts already exist. (This is also why I denied most non-fiction, lest this chart become filled with war atrocities.)

Maybe you've already answered this, but is Rimbaud really that disturbing? I've read it and i feel it's a bit "edgy" at best.

I've talked about this in the previous thread, with people who recommended his work and other people who read it.
Some have described A Season in Hell as surreal and like a fever dream, as well as dark and disturbing. The difficult thing about disturbing-ness, which I have discussed a number of times as well, is that it is highly subjective and differs from person to person. You are the first one to argue against Rimbaud. Others have said that it might not be as disturbing as other, more extreme works on this list, but that it's still dark and unsettling.
I don't think anyone, were they to read all of the works on this list, will find all of them disturbing, and with a theme like this, you never will be able to make a chart like that.
I hope that answers your question, I did my best to explain it. Have you read other works on the chart, and what did you think of them?

btw OP, what happened to this guy called Willeford? I remember he was being discussed, it seemed that his unpublished novel Grimhaven was dark enough but also some other works like Cockfighter. I just happen to remember it, was he finally not included?

It has been discussed in the previous thread, and the conclusion was that it was not going to be included. Other people have read it and said that it was not dark/disturbing enough to be included, and that the fact that it's an unpublished book also complicates things.

A biology textbook is the darkest literature.

Attached: 137645763546.jpg (1125x1500, 259K)

It seems like a big hassle to read something that is probably average by long forgotten writer.

Attached: Charles-Willeford-s-Elusive-Grimhaven-.jpg (465x4093, 750K)

Hello OP - You may not recall, given the amount of replies you've been getting, but I'm the chap from the last thread who mentioned The Demon by Selby. I admire the amount of effort you've put into this!
Anyway, I've read Saramago's Blindness and can vouch for it having memorable sense of despair..
Other than that, since you clearly have a passion for the subject, I thought I'd quickly recommend, both for you and others scrolling through, a few other books which I don't have time to go into loads of detail about right now:
The Seven Days of Peter Crumb - Jonny Glynn
Sheepshagger - Niall Griffiths
These two are quintessentially British. Both are savagely brutal.
The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By - Georges Simenon
Hangover Square - Patrick Hamilton
I'd be surprised if these last two haven't been mentioned elsewhere already.
Anyway, I've read Saramago's Blindness and can vouch for it being memorable.Whether that in itself makes it a worthy contender, I don't know!
Other than that, since you clearly have a passion for the subject, I thought I'd recommend another few books

I've just looked back at your previous post, hey again!
Thank you for the amount of recommendations! I would love to hear more about them. This evening (I'm in the +1 time zone) I don't have much time until late, but I will look up every book, like I do with all recommendations. I just also like to know what your reading experience is with these works.
Thank you for the compliment, by the way! If people kept being this enthusiastic about recommending books and if I could work on making a huge chart for twice as long, I totally would. However, making a huge chart is only going to be cluttered and confusing, and the chart is looking pretty good right now. I just feel a little bad about having to discard all the 'one person' books, which might be perfect for the chart but did not get more attention.
I have also read Blindness, but that was about 10 years ago so I don't remember that much. It is an intense book though, and I'll put it on the 'one person' list. People might disagree with adding it because it's a pretty well-known book that is also featured in other charts (even though they're not horror charts). I'll see what others say!
And thanks again for all the support!

Bump!

Random Question: Anybody here knows if Paul Bowles writings are considered somewhat disturbing?

I looked at all 4 of your recommendations, and I think Sheepshagger would be a good addition to the chart, and The Man Who Watched Trains Go By might also be good enough for this chart, although I haven't heard anyone actually talk about this. Reviews for The Seven Days of Peter Crumb were not that good and called it pretentious and edgy, and Hangover Square sounds like it would fit better in the 'depressing literature' chart, but then again, that's only what I could find online without hearing anyone speak about them. I would love to hear more about them, if you have the time for it.

As far as I can find, Let It Come Down sounds like a dark novel, although I don't know about the degree of disturbingness.

Attached: Dark Chart 2.6 jpeg.jpg (1724x3246, 1.63M)

These are the current standings!
No book has been added today, but we only have 1 more spot left anyway (unless more than one books gets confirmed in the same day, then I'll see if I can make an exception).

Andrea Dworkin - Mercy
Unica Zürn - Dark Spring
Jose Saramago - Blindness
Niall Griffiths - Sheepshagger (after hearing more about it)

maybe add year in parentheses?

Attached: bas penguin classic.jpg (780x1193, 208K)

I would honestly pay money for penguin classics version with author bio, forward and footnotes.

yes fren, you wrote that before...like maybe last week or two weeks ago?
no penguin classics version in the works, because jews, but i'm gonna get BAS (paper and hardback) onto ingramspark soon.
consolidating The Tainted Turd into a larger book.
the censorship bullshit pissed me off...so more violence, more stalking, very specific, naming names. more autism.
take care,
MNM-DR

I was curious about your book so I just searched the title in the Yea Forums archive, sorted by oldest->newest so I could see the earliest mentions of it. I thought it must be some weird alt lit meme that Yea Forums picked up by osmosis and mentions now and again.

Turns out you self-published it and spammed it 50 times in one day in October 2015, then again two days in a row in December, then a couple repeats over subsequent months, then finally you settled into a rhythm of just spamming and shilling it every chance you get. I've seen this Penguin mockup cover a few times over the past year but now I assume that it's you self-posting again and again also.

I opened all the earliest posts of your book's title (for months) and the only time it got replies was a few people noticing you were spamming it and saying "stop shilling."

Why did you do it?

obviously for the lulz, you silly niggerfaggot.

Would adding the year of every book add relevant information? Does the usefulness outweigh making it more cluttered? What do other people think of this?

Bump! We still have room for one more book, so which one do you think should be on the chart?
Check my post with the current standings to see which books have gotten one recommendation.

Don't put Blake Butler in this chart. He's really quite boring and self-indulgent in that "Master of Fine Arts" kind of way.

If you HAD TO put one of his works on the chart (and again, I don't support the idea) Scorch Atlas is better.

Seconding Unica Zürn. Dark Spring is a quick but quite dark Surrealist read.

Thanks, I will remove Butler from the list!

Unica Zürn - Dark Spring will be added to the chart! Thanks for the contribution!

I will give it one more day of people recommending books. If no one else confirms another book, I will let this be the final chart. If more people confirm books within 24 hours, I will try to cram them in.

Attached: bas penguin classic.jpg (780x1193, 208K)

Hello again! I checked my previous post and saw that the formatting went all repetitive last time around so sorry about that.
Sheepshagger is rather contemporary and different in that it is set in rural Wales. The diction is similar in Style to Irvine Welsh, which is not for everyone. I seem to remember a sense of the stunted-development main character, already struggling and at the mercy of the world around him, striking back and lashing out at his predicament.
I'd suggest Griffith's Seven Days is definitely worth a more in-depth look. The protagonist is a psychopath on a level of Ellis' Patrick Bateman who by a twist of fate finds himself a unlikely social hero. He has a disturbing obsession with his bodily functions and whilst they don't necessary detract from the overall novel, they can be a bit much.
I entirely agree that Hangover Square could well fall into either of those categories.
Another title that springs to mind which doesn't really fit but you may be interested in looking up is The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock.

It's not a problem, and thanks for the details!
Are any of these four books ones that you think should be featured on the chart? I didn't ask before, and like to be sure.
I think that most books on this chart are 'not for everyone', so I don't think Sheepshagger is that much of an outlier, even though I know what you mean (style-wise, not content-wise).
By Griffith's Seven Days I assume you mean Glynn's Seven Days (not that it matters much, but I'm pointing it out for other readers). It's good to hear an opinion from someone who has actually read it, since I can only speculate.
The Devil All the Time sounds interesting as well. What did you think of it?

This is the current, updated chart, now with Unica Zürn - Dark Spring!
I edited some minor annoyances as well. Unless anyone will confirm another work on the list below in the next ~12 hours, this will be the final version of the new and improved Dark and Disturbing Literature chart!

What do other people think about the books on the list below, that will be discarded and not be included in the chart? I feel a bit bad for the books that have been recommended by one person, since they might be good inclusions for the chart but they are too unknown or no one else who has read it has seen this thread to vouch for their quality.
I know I cannot make a chart with all the books that might be perfect for this theme, and that if I would try to do so I can be here trying to update the chart everyday forever, but it still feels bad to throw them out, you know?

Either way, I really hope you have all enjoyed discussing and making this chart as much as I have. It's been amazing hearing all your experiences with these works, and hearing the impact some of them had on you.
I just made the first thread because I wanted to hear more about the old chart, and see what everyone's opinion is on them. I have been checking Yea Forums every once in a while, and there would almost never be a thread like this, so for the first time I decided to just make my own. And somehow, I gradually started getting your opinions on the chart, which ones should not have been included, which ones should have been included, etc, and I decided to make it a personal project, to create a good chart, the best chart I can make with all of your help. It took me an awful long time, but I really hope you, and people in the future can all enjoy this (pretty unique) chart of what we all love: dark and disturbing literature!
Please save this chart, and spread it when you can. I really hope to see it on the recommended reading site sometime in the future, and I also hope to have inspired some of you to read some unsettling literature you haven't heard of before. Thank all of you for your enthusiasm and help!

This will probably not be necessary anymore, but just in case:

Andrea Dworkin - Mercy
Unica Zürn - Dark Spring
Niall Griffiths - Sheepshagger

Attached: Dark Chart 2.6 jpg.jpg (1724x3246, 1.48M)

I don't really feel like I'm entitled to state whether any of my suggestions should make that cut - I simply mentioned them and am quite willing for that decision to be taken out of my hands.
And of course, I meant Glynn as opposed to Griffith. Another mea culpa.
Devil All the Time is very 'American Noir', plus an easy read!
I gather from what you've said about timezones that you're based somewhere in Europe - Germany would seem like an apt guess?!

Very well, I will just see them as reading suggestions.
And you're very close: I'm from the Netherlands!
I was surprised when I just looked up Devil All the Time: it apparently was pretty popular over here.

Attached: Dark Chart 2.7 jpg.jpg (1724x3246, 1.68M)

I'm just outside of London, so yes, I *am* close! I had no idea D All the T made such an impression there. Other than Anne Frank, from memory I don't think I've read much if any Dutch literature - do you have any suggestions? They don't need to be limited to this particular genre, although I don't want to derail your thread..

>derail your thread
too late

Oh, nice!
I have to admit, when I started reading literature I was more focused on world literature, so I have not read many Dutch novels.
Some novels that are regarded as some of the best are Hermans - De Donkere Kamer van Damokles (The Dark Room of Damocles), Reve - De avonden (The Evenings), and the one seen as 'The Best Dutch Novel' is Mulisch - De Ontdekking van de Hemel (The Discovery of Heaven). I have read none of those, so I can't say much about them. I have, however, read Bernlef - Hersenschimmen (Out of Mind), and that has made a big impact on me. Also regarded as one of the best Dutch novels, and even being dark (although more depressing than disturbing), it is about an elderly man who has developing dementia, all seen through his point of view. It is heartbreaking at times, and the dementia keeps worsening throughout the book. I highly recommend it, and I really hope you'll like it if you decide to read it!

Just a minor point, but I really think the titles for Sarah Kane should be switched. Cleansed is definitely more disturbing from a body horror angle, but 4.48 Psychosis is just unrelentingly dark front to back.

A minor quibble, but OP seems receptive to input.

The discussion about Cleansed and 4.48 are on the first thread, which I now sadly can't go to anymore.
Other people found Cleansed to be the book to be featured, so I'll have to think about whether I want to change it. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it!

Thanks very much for those! Personally, Bernlef seems the most appealing, at least initially, although I'm struggling to find any extracts or previews of that text - I notice he released 'Eclips' more recently, which seems a more uplifting version of Hersenschimmen in reverse.
Time is getting on so I'm turning in now - I'll say goede nacht!

Goede nacht, and thanks for the nice exchange! I don't know much about how to find the translation of his work, but I hope you'll find a copy! :)

I feel like Inferno should be on here. The punishments in the eight circle alone justify its inclusion.

Attached: inferno giovanni.jpg (700x553, 148K)

I personally don't think it adds much by adding it to the list, but if more people agree with you then I will consider it.

Attached: 77676hHH-Q09-BFF48.png (1000x4019, 2.95M)

Anyone of these books involve intelligence? Like artificial intelligence, ooze, robotic, hivemind, zombie?

Just read The Eyes. Holy shit, I mean... HOLY SHIT! tf is wrong with that nigga?

This is going to sound stupid, but: there is a book called Zombie on the list, I think that one qualifies. Cows is batshit crazy, I'm not sure but it might be what you're looking for.

Did you enjoy it?

Is Cows a quality read or a novelty read?

I looked it up, but unfortunately Zombie doesn't seem to involve the zombie creature. I'm hoping for unnatural intelligent (or no intelligence, like an ooze monster, if there's a focus on its lack of intelligence) entities (not necessarily human design), essentially.

I have not read Cows myself, so I cannot say much about it. It's bizarro fiction, so take that as you wish.

There are not many supernatural phenomenon in this chart; if you're looking for that, it's best to look into supernatural horror, like Lovecraft or Ligotti. I know it's not much, but I hope it helps.

Enjoy and enjoy, its the most disturbing piece of fiction I've ever come across. I think this is the first book to actually disturb me and I've read quite a few of the charts books.

I wouldn't call Cows bizarro lit like the other user. Sure, it walks right on the edge many times but never fully crossing into said genre. It is one of the weaker books on the chart though.

That's good to know! Which books on the chart have you read?

I'm on mobile right now, but in a book trade place I managed to get a hold of The Perfume for free! I'm pretty happy about that.

Why would you say that Cows is one of the weaker works on the chart? I haven't read it, so I'm curious.

I like that note on the chart. You should keep it even if the chart will be full.

who reads pdf? it's like Moses stones

Thanks for the compliment! This is the final, full chart, and it has the note on it as well.

Nice job on the chart! As fan of Alfred Hitchcock Presents I am always looking to read dark and thrilling tales whether it be light or hardcore.

Thanks! I hope you'll find some books you'll like!

What makes a book dark/disturbing rather than edgy or shocking?
Doing research for my own ideas

Edgy and shocking works rely heavily on melodrama or challenging social norms for the sake of challenging them. I'd actually place Babyfucker in this category and am a little disappointed it's in the chart.

Dark and disturbing work, in my view, has a more contemplative and meditative quality. Sort of an unvarnished exploration of some aspect of society, culture, psychology, or humanity in general. It doesn't rely on gimmicks or artifice, but takes a sober clear-eyed look at the thing in question.

The only positive mention of Babyfucker (and the only one in general), which made me include it, was this:

Babyfucker has been called Beckettian, and I would agree; it ponders in that exhaustive style on the situation of the isolated protag fucking babies, or rather, on the proposition "I fuck babies"; it's more conceptual and doesn't get too explicit (apart from some imagery) but it's definitely weird and "disturbing".

If you really feel like it should not be on the chart, I would really like to hear it. No one else has mentioned this work, so I have very little information on it and I could actually see myself removing it from this chart.
(The problem would then be to find another work to put into the chart, but I think that so far Saramago - Blindness is a good option.)

I can't add much more than what the other user has already said, but in short: I think that shocking/edgy work goes more for the shock value, and not much more. Dark/disturbing can actually create an unsettling atmosphere, and/or get under your skin.

You can use gimp. It's paint on steroids and similar to photoshop. It's free open source software. It would probably make making changes on the list easier.
>easily change the canvas size of the list
>make every image an extra layer of the image
>you can resize images
>every text field will be an extra layer of the image
>you can drag and drop layers, so images and text, like you wish
>you can use guidlines to align text and images
However, it will take some time to get used to it. I dropped some keywords in my greentext maybe look them up on youtube and give it a try. If you give me details on how you do your list, maybe I can write you a better how to for a workflow using gimp. Thanks for your efforts nigger. Anyways, I'm almost finished with my book, platform, which would you recommend me afterwards. does not need to be from the current list, since platform was taken off as I noticed which is understandable but it made me chuckle every now and then.

Thanks, that puts in in a more cohesive direction than "just astmophere"
Are there a few examples of this? I've downloaded a couple of charts

Thanks for the info, but you're like a week late for it to be useful. I now have a complete chart (it might have slight changes to it in the next couple of day, but they will be minor), so trying to learn Gimp will be useless. Sorry, but I really appreciate the offer!
About your recommendation: which other books on the chart have you read, and what did you think of them? Do you want something similar to Platform (I know very little of the novel), or something 'good'? Do you want something more extreme, or atmospheric, or surreal? It's hard to 'just' give a recommendation, especially since I have only read 2 of the books on the new chart.

What do you want examples of? (I tried to have as little cheap/edgy works on this chart, and as many actually dark/disturbing ones.)

I'll admit I only got a handful of pages into Babyfucker before abandoning it in disgust, but what I read definitely felt more sensationalist than dark or disturbing in any meaningful way.

In that case, I will keep Babyfucker in the chart, and most likely not add/remove/change anything else.

So again:

>The official, new Dark and Disturbing Literature chart:
Save it and spread it when you can, so that others can see and use this chart in the future. I hope it will overshadow the old chart and people will switch to this one!

Lol like a pure Yea Forumsizen haven't you hardly read anything at all from the books you are promoting. Gib me something that get you going/started. Dat made a wage cuck that operates word give the urge to switch to fucking paint making a list of books he hasn't read recommend by anonymous teens and pseuds. Just give me the very first book that emanates. Thanks

Attached: 1465586438103.jpg (694x530, 200K)

I don't want to read anything before 80s tho

Hey, no need to be like that, man. I'm just trying to make a decent chart and listen to other people's experiences with dark/disturbing books. I started doing this because I've also only recently started reading these books, and wanted to know which ones were good and which ones weren't.
But if you really want a recommendation from someone who has only read 2 books on the recent chart, then I'll recommend The Wasp Factory. It feels very surreal, it gets pretty intense pretty quickly, and it's just a pretty good book to start with overall.

Attached: Dark Chart 2.7 jpg.jpg (1724x3246, 1.68M)

nigga, if u gon shill your book make it available for purchase first

The thing that fucks me up about The Consumer, that I think contributes mostly to the way it disturbs and makes the reader feel almost unclean is how he doesn't isolate the narrator from the reader as some inhuman creature you can just detach yourself from, he always has these little threads of humanity that force empathy from the reader in a way that is almost violating when you have to reconcile parts of these characters within yourself

I'm not like anything, you are projecting something onto me only because you don't like the way I write with you which is kinda odd for a guy listing disturbing stuff on an anime forum. Anyways, thanks for your recc. That book also piqued my interest while browsing the original list.

Well thanks to you too negro fren, I will check this out afterwards.

Attached: 1472945249593.jpg (720x416, 137K)

Is this nigger serious

Attached: 1464901873593.jpg (640x616, 96K)

I'll try and put it as best as I can;
1. A setting where it's unforgiving; no matter how vile or virtuous a person may be, whatever happens happens simply because of the world
2. A character escaping a cruel existence

I'm sorry, but I cannot recommend you any books that fit those descriptions.
I really hope someone else will be able to help you out here.

true dat

Reported.

try cows

Does any1 have any horror books with insects as a main theme??? i love insects

Attached: Some_image.width-800.0c33bff[1].jpg (550x606, 39K)

This book NEEDS to be on the list. It's the most disturbing/unsettling book I've ever read and it gave me a nightmare after finishing it.

Attached: Mountain2.jpg (836x1412, 199K)

ok so i did some research on all these books and wow most of them are garbage. dissections, meat grinding, etc. these things dont necessarily make something disturbing. as a rule of thumb, dont include any british novels, or novels released in the 90's. they're shit

go make your own chart if you can do a better job tripfag.

>mumkey jones
youre baiting right

Ive read american psycho and enjoyed it. What on your list would be a good branching out point? Any of them humorous as well?

i cant find irenes cunt anywhere on the damn net (for free)

what are those charts made with? Is there a website like neverendingchartrendering for literature?

Mouchette is already on the list. Have you read that?
I am also not going to make any more big changes to the chart, sorry man.

This also made me see that I've misspelled Bernanos on chart 2.6, and therefore, even though I hate giving you all a new chart after promoting the previous one: here is chart 2.7, with the spelling mistake fixed!

There is some humour in a number of these books. I, however, do not know the details of every one of them, so I can only help you a little bit. Death on the Installment Plan definitely has dark humour in it, and so does The Wasp Factory (although probably not as much). If you have not read any other work on the list, I would say go with The Wasp Factory. I know that Maldoror and Naked Lunch are pretty surreal, so if you're looking for that then these are good choices. Proxy and Ordeal are the only non-fiction works on the list, so that can hit extra hard because it actually happened. Hogg and 120 Days are pretty extreme, according to what other people here say. I hope this helped! Let me know what book you're going for next!

Other people have tried to find it as well, but so far the only one that is open is the original in French.

There sadly is no website for books, only for albums and films I think. People make charts in different ways. Some people use Photoshop, some Gimp, I myself use Word (just make a table and edit it) and Paint (to get it all into one image). Some charts (like the Comfy chart, with scaling from child to adult and from serious to lighthearted) are made by just saving every image in a folder, sorting it and screenshotting it.

>NEW CHART
Again, here is chart 2.7, with the only difference being the fixing of a spelling error.

Attached: Dark Chart 2.7 jpg.jpg (1724x3246, 1.48M)

i found a mobi version on b-ok.

Bump!

>NEW CHART:
This chart has one fixed spelling error that was in 2.6. If there are any other mistakes in 2.7, please let me know so I can fix it!

Why is Palahniuks Haunted on the chart? It's not disturbing/dark. It was a huge letdown reading it.

Better put some of Edward Lees disturbing gorefests on the list, like 'The Pig'.

Attached: 3153GqvFvtL._SL500_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (192x293, 15K)

Multiple people have said it was dark/disturbing enough for it to be on this chart (at least Guts, they added), and no one has objected so far (only one person has asked why it's on the chart), hence why I included it.

If you want to get rid of Haunted, let me know.
I will not, however, leave this chart with one open spot. I want to have one of the books below to be confirmed by two people (and I want to look into it myself to make sure it's a right fit for this chart) before I remove Haunted.

Andrea Dworkin - Mercy
Unica Zürn - Dark Spring
Edward Lee - The Pig (I added your book here, but I haven't looked into it myself yet)

if you love insects it wouldnt be a horror book to you, m8. this chart tries to stay away from genre fiction too thats why ligotti isnt on it

i would propose some kind of under title to the chart. I see a lot of people asking about genre fiction and non fiction to be included. Some kind of short description wouldn't hurt I think.

I'm half way through The Nazi And The Barber now and it's obvious it's a satire. If I remember correctly you removed A Modest Proposal because of this. The book is still quite dark though. I'm not advocating a removal; it's more of an observation. I haven't read A Modest Proposal but if shit is dank enough it should be on the chart imo. Sotos is there even tho it's kinda non-fiction.

About Babyfucker I have to agree with . I love the book but it is more shocking than disturbing. It could be named Rock Eater and still be great. The story is more surreal and weird than disturbing. Sure it's Beckettian in style with all the repetitions but it's nowhere near the pessimism of Beckett.

Furthermore, Babyfucker and The Eyes are very short books that could be read in around 4 hours. I see you haven't read many books on the chart so I recommend to read these two because of their length. Babyfucker is only ~50 pages. You could then decide if it should really be on the chart or not.

I don't know what exactly you mean by under title, but I did put a description there that also states why I don't add certain genres. You are correct that I didn't say anything about non-fiction. I didn't, however, find that as important to note as why depressing and horror literature weren't included, since that is a little more obvious (?) to normally include those works, where not adding non-fiction feels more normal to do (in my opinion, I don't know how that feels for everyone else).
I'm also not going to edit this chart forever; at some point I will be 100% done with it (I've already worked on it since the 6th) and then people will just see this as any other chart and will not have the urge to ask someone to add more books to it, if that makes sense.

A Modest Proposal is not removed because it is a satire, but because it was mostly just a comedy and wasn't dark or disturbing in the least. A lot of people (more than 3) argued against the inclusion of A Modest Proposal, and not many people were in favour of keeping it. If The Nazi and The Barber is dark enough, it has a good reason to stay on the chart.

The other user only read a part of Babyfucker ("A handful of pages"), so I take their opinion a little bit lighter than others. I will definitely note your opinion of it, though.

And thanks for the recommendation! I will see if I have time to read them, but it's good to keep in mind that those are relatively quick reads.

Like I said before, I started these threads because I was really interested in these books but didn't know much about them. Someone who has read a great number of these books might be better qualified to create a chart, but I know I have a big drive for this, and try to implement as many opinions as possible, to make it depend less on one person's experience and more on a collective, as far as that's possible.

Thanks for the amount of info, I really appreciate it! Just out of curiosity, which ones on the chart have you read?

Another question: should I put the version of the chart on the chart itself? E.g. put "version 2.7" on the latest chart, so that people can see when a newer chart has come out?

Does this include horror?

no

Are there any horror charts?

Create one user

There are, and they are easily findable on the recommended reading site.

Yes, also put the thread number in for reference.

>

>I don't know what exactly you mean by under title, but I did put a description there that also states why I don't add certain genres.
Not him but he means subtitles, probably for genres

Putting in the thread number is only going to be relevant for a week, I'm not in favour of adding that.
I'm also not going to add subtitles; it will take a long time to gather that information of all the works, and it will make the chart pretty cluttered. The only thing I can think of to add is a colour or a symbol for books that are a good starting point, but I don't know how relevant that is, if people agree on what are good starting books and how difficult it will be to pick them.

Where is Kafka? I know Kafka's work isn't horror but I think you wouldn't want to live in a kafkaesque world.

Attached: 266px-Kafka1906.jpg (266x428, 22K)

He's too good for horror.

Kafka has been discussed 2 times, and what I said last time was this:

"Kafka and Beckett have not been recommended by anyone yet (except for myself, who talked about Kafka briefly), and I think another reason they are not on this chart is because they are both featured in multiple other charts, and are fairly well known in general. If Kafka's Trial wasn't so popular and featured in every other chart, I would probably include it."

and this:

"I am not going to add Kafka or Beckett; as much as I love Kafka's work, he is so incredibly popular (and famous for his namesake Kafkaesque style) that it would not add as much to this chart as other, lesser known works."

Also, this chart is not for horror, it's for works that are dark and disturbing. Kafka might not be horror, but it's definitely both dark and disturbing.
I'd normally say that The Trial is a work that could definitely be added, but I won't because of what I said in the post above.

Well I am Dutch as well, and Reve's - De Avonden (The Evenings) was the most depressing thing I ever read. Maybe that book should be added to the list aswell. Also Herman's Nooit meer slapen (Beyond sleep) could be a work on this list but it's not really a thriller or horror.

Attached: Gerard Reve.jpg (466x640, 66K)

I'm trying to steer away of works that are more depressing than disturbing. I've said this a number of times, but I understand it's easy to miss with so many posts. In short: there already is a depressing literature chart, and I want this chart to be specifically disturbing, since there is no other chart like it (except for the old one, of course).

(I also bought De Avonden yesterday, and am expecting it to arrive tomorrow!)

I am sorry for repeting the old posts. Very nice that
you bought the book

No problem! Have you read any of the books on the chart, by the way?

(And slight sidetrack: are there any Dutch works you'd recommend? I've only read Hersenschimmen, and own De Ontdekking van de Hemel, De Donkere Kamer van Damokles, Rituelen, Anne Frank's Diary and De Avonden, all of which I haven't read yet.)

No I haven't read any. I manly focus on Dutch literature right now because I think it's pretty good. I would recommend

- Nooit meer slapen (Hermans)
- Dichtertje, De uitvreter, titaantjes (Nescio)
- Kaas ( Elsschot)
- De engelenmaker (Brijs)
- Karakter (Bordewijk)
- and anything from Dimitri Verhulst is very nice.

Also read anything from the big three (Mulisch, Hermans, Reve) it's very nice. Especially Hermans, I think he's the best.

Have you got any recommendations for world literature?

Attached: Hermans.jpg (200x280, 10K)

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll keep them in mind.

World literature is very broad, and I have no idea what kind of literature you like, but luckily for you I've only really been reading literature for about a year now.
Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
Kafka - The Trial
Saramago - Blindness
Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude
Achebe - Things Fall Apart
Calvino - If on a winter's night a traveller
Rulfo - Pedro Páramo

These are all books I found to be very good and enjoyable. I also really liked Glengarry Glen Ross, but I think I liked that more than the average person, so it's more personal taste I think. Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World are also really good if you enjoy dystopias.

Putting in a thread number will be relevant for years, you fucking newfag

No need to be rude. Anyway, is it helpful to put it in? I haven't seen any other chart with a thread number. Are people interested in the way this chart was made?

Since you post prev thread numbers in op someone dedicated enough in a later thread has the ability to actually check the latest version with no efforts. So there is a reference to the evolution and also thinking behind the creation. Furthermore, every version you posted will be spread since not all anons follow your threads. There are a lot of morons here, no wonder they aren't smart enough for adding a number on their pics.

That's good reasoning; I will make a 2.8 later today that will include a thread number and the actual 2.8, so people will see that this is the most up to date one.

Has anyone suggested The Tunnel by Ernesto Sabato?

No one has mentioned it before. I've checked, and it appears on the depressing literature chart. Would you say it's more depressing than disturbing?

>NEW CHART
Here is the newly updated chart!

- Added 2.8 in the top right corner, so people can easily see which version is the newest
- Added thread number at the bottom, so people can trace back to these threads

Attached: Dark Chart 2.8 jpg.jpg (1724x3246, 1.49M)

I would say his other two novels are more disturbing. I'd add On Heroes and Tombs

I'm not really planning on adding more books, 49 is the limit right now. Unless a book is going to be scrapped, this chart is complete. I'll take the recommended books into account though.

Bump, see for the updated chart!

You got any recs on books that read like a grindhouse/underground films?

Attached: TCM-Eyeball-reg-for-approval-682x1024.jpg (682x1024, 189K)

I sadly haven't read many of the books, so I can't recommend anything that specific. Can other people help user out?

My final bump!
>NEW CHART
is the newest, updated and final chart!