Why is the myth of oedipus so important? it makes no sense to me...

why is the myth of oedipus so important? it makes no sense to me, all he has done was fucking his own mother and thats it. whats the substance in it that it is referenced fairly often?

Attached: DP-14201-023.jpg (2072x4000, 2.12M)

Because Froid wanted to fuck his aunt so he based all his philology on it to justify his actions.

It represent the Eternal tension of our soul between taboo and virtue.

Why is there always this guy?
>he came up with Y because he was X

that wouldve made sense, if he know from the start that it was his mother

From a psychological perspective, it's not primarily the fictional characters that matter, it's what motivated the author and what the audience will get out of it.

Someone came up with the story of Oedipus and it resonated with enough people to become widespread. Perhaps it was a true story to some degree but from a modern perspective it seems mostly made up.

It probably wasn't that central for the Greeks, but it is one of the very few classic Greek plays that survived so later people got really obsessed with it.

33 Greek dramas survived to the present.

You say it like that's a lot.

He was the first man to uncuck himself.

good post friend

Attached: 1526017641985.png (540x739, 650K)

Oedipus Rex is about human blindness and insecurity. All men must struggle in the dark as Oedipus strugles, not knowing who he is or what he has to suffer. The world of appearances hides all sorts of dreadful realities.
But it's also about human greatness. Oedipus is certainly great, not because he is a king, but because of his inner strength. Strength to pursue truth no matter what the cost. Strength to accept and endure the truth when he finds it.
>this horror is mine and none but I is strong enough to bear it.
Even though he is innocent by the law, he accepts responsibility for all his actions, even the most horrible.

Aechylus and sophocles (the two best tragedians) both wrote trilogies around oedipus.
Euripides, achaeus, nichomachus and xenocles also wrote plays about oedipus but they are mostly lost.
Pindar also mentions him.

Aristotle cites it as the perfect play, and his Poetics were fairly important.

>all he has done was fucking his own mother and thats it.
I think the problem is with you not oedipus

Because that is what people do with their writing, they put their emotions into.

>all he has done was fucking his own mother and thats it.
He also killed his dad

>i am literally incapable of understanding literature beyond basic plot elements

so what is so meaningful in it for you fag

i don't converse with brainlets, sorry.

you only say that because you are someone who puts emotions in your writing

>engaging braincells is too difficult so ill just insult him