What is the greatest, most influential work of science fiction within the last ten years?

What is the greatest, most influential work of science fiction within the last ten years?

Attached: 697348c2069450a1f974d1ccd792c7ee.jpg (923x1245, 262K)

Other urls found in this thread:

obversebooks.co.uk/product/against-nature/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Three Body Problem

my gf

Annihilation

The right answer: Three Body Problem

The underrated book that SHOULD be the answer: Lawrence Burton's Against Nature

One of the best books I've ever read with a stunning take on the intersection between history, mythology, Neil Gaiman urban fantasy, and way-out space science fiction. This novel is criminally under-read.

Attached: Against Nature.jpg (392x600, 64K)

>Can't find it anywhere

What it 'bout?

obversebooks.co.uk/product/against-nature/

There you go! It's really hard to find outside the UK.

There are four plot-threads running concurrently. In Aztec times, there's a priest whose job is to go around and test supposed miracles. He needs to make sure that what people are claiming is magic is actually the work of the gods, and punish those who claim this falsely. He begins to encounter genuine magic at work, and he and the other priests need to deal with this situation. In the present, two people find their reality twisting. Things are WRONG - and their lives are beginning to distort around them. One turns to a neo-pagan approach to the same magic the Aztec investigator-priest was looking into. The final plot involves a space-fairing race who were fleeing from a war - something is stalking their ship, murdering them one by one, and the structure of their lives and narrative is beginning to collapse.

In the end, they all come together at the mercy of the Aztec gods.

That's a bit of a bald summary. The writing is gorgeous, and the depth Burton draws out of the characters is incredible.

Sci-fi these days is written by women and blacks as opposed to STEM majored professors, so it all sucks.

I want all /pol/s lined up against a wall and fucking shot. You idiots are the most annoying fucks on the web.

You're like a broken record, shut the fuck up already, we've HEARD it already.

Is this your book? Are you Lawrence Burton shilling your book no one cares about?

Come clean now..

Shockingly, no. A friend dragged me into reading Faction Paradox because he got to write a short story for it, and Burton's book impressed the hell out of me. It's one of those "it's so unknown it hasn't even heard of itself" books I like to recommend hard. The small press scene is really neat.

I dunno if that's especially convincing evidence I'm not Lawrence Burton.

Let's go hard recommending another under-underground book so that at least if I'm one author I'm definitely not two.

Heidi Ruby Miller's Men of War didn't make any splash on release, and that it didn't win any minor award or really get any attention is a crime. Sort of a recontextualization of a kinda sucky Philip Jose Farmer novel from tbe 70s it's a great look at what loving through multiple earths does to a person. It's interesting seeing a 1970s deconstruction of 1940s sci-fi pulp being in turn deconstructed and reconstructed into something else entirely.

Attached: MOW-HB-697x1024.jpg (697x1024, 163K)

hard sci fi is still being written, most genrefags just prefer space fantasy or video games but in book form

This

It’s heavily disliked by pseuds and poltards but it’s a genuinely good trilogy

I read the Fifth Season trilogy and it was pretty good. 7/10 It's also written by a black woman, has a mmf piratesex relationship, and a tranny. And the main characters are all black. A lot of the story can be viewed through the lens of black oppression in America.

Attached: 1537525771722.gif (400x332, 1.97M)

Is it written by a kike?

Go away

Attached: a.jpg (2560x1440, 292K)

Paper menagerie and other stories.
It's a little bit too emotionally manipulatev bit it has good points and impact.

Attached: 24885533-1.jpg (314x475, 67K)

Oh. I see. Chinkshit.

It hurts to confront but he's not wrong.

I have problems with his epistemology and his morality is essentially rick and morty but you might like Peter Watts.

I don't know what John C. Wright's novels are like and I suspect I won't enjoy it but his book of essays on the genre is an excellent read.

Attached: 22041971.jpg (296x475, 74K)

Westworld.

Influential? Not necessarily, but I really liked Watt's Blindsight.

Attached: blindsightcover.jpg (350x518, 48K)

Any hard scifi books about general AI? I will read any and all.

Looks like this Tranny is in a lot of dilating pain

Blindsight came out 13 years ago

For anyone looking for good sci fi do t fall for blindsight posters.
The book is absolutely trash.

So did you.

So are you.

Thanks n8 I've been meaning to read faction paradox for ages

If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love by Rachel Swirsky is possibly the most perfect work of fiction in human history, let alone science fiction.

Ready Player One, duh

Attached: 1550976952271.jpg (657x572, 46K)

first post best post

Two thirds of these stories are cringe worthy garbage. They all read like the short stories by Terry Pratchett he wrote as teenager, then released by popular demand but felt embarrassed for. They're that bad.
The titular story itself plus the one that got adapted in Netflix' Love, Death and Robots anthology were just fine, but overall this book was a massive disappointment especially if you bought it for the Three Body Problem pedigree (which I did, stupidly).
Man, did this book ever need a competent editor.

Attached: 1555397608039.jpg (779x353, 54K)

think blood meridian in space and it's 500 pages

Attached: 38930423.jpg (297x475, 43K)

Dougal Dixon's speculative zoology works

Those are from the 70’s user, no one writes spec-bio books anymore ;__;

>I don't know what John C. Wright's novels are like and I suspect I won't enjoy it but his book of essays on the genre is an excellent read.

If you actually liked reading JCW's bloviations then you'll probably like at least some of his books. His two biggest problems are that he likes to LARP as GK Chesterton and he doesn't have access to a top-tier editor since he fell out with Tor. But he's got real talent.

His best books are The Golden Age trilogy and Awake in the Night Land. Green Knight's Squire is also a good take on the niche "paladin subgenre" because he's both familiar with the original source material and an unironic Catholic fanatic.

Greg Egan's Permutation City has some pretty good speculative biology if you're looking for a recent entry into the genre.

Nice argument, bro.

Becky Chambers writes from the soft perspective but it's really quite enjoyable.

>everybody who disagrees with me is a pseudo and from /pol/
Christ, get a grip you giant faggot. The novel is a giant piece of shit and resulting to ad hominem on any who disagree with you shows how high your opinions truly matter

Also learn to format your posts redditfag

The TBP couldn't come out of America anymore. It is wildly imaginative in the truest sense, but because of that large parts of it are eye-roll worthy. I'd argue for The Windup Girl which is just at 10 years. A great bit of foundational biopunk, not poorly written, rather prescient as we close the crispr revolution.

/pol/ is gay as fuck but i genuinely laughed at this

Teehee, would that be so naughty?..

It's an opinion but if you want an argument 90% of the book is filled with evolutionary philology, and they is the cringiest psedu science today. And you can go on, the MC is really shit with nothing there to make him even remotely interesting, some shit vapire bullshit.
May the alien and the end and the only good parts.